PDA

View Full Version : New Tv

forum_guy
05-11-2012, 09:16 PM
In the market for a new living room tv in the 46-50 inch range. Will mainly be used for lots of hd sports watching and movies with some gaming. I have never owned a plasma before but read the 600hz refresh rate is amazing for sports and the burn in issue with plasmas isn't really any issue. Any suggestions?

Blastoderm55
05-12-2012, 04:10 PM
If you don't mind a bit bulkier chassis and lower energy efficiency, I would definitely go with a plasma. I've had a 42" LCD for going on 5 years now, and its been great. I had some image retention early on before breaking in the panel, but it went away thanks to the pixel-shifting feature.

regaleagle
05-13-2012, 09:50 PM
Yeah, we all need pixie features on our TV's, LOL.

Emerson1
05-14-2012, 08:19 AM
What is your budget?

defense51
05-15-2012, 02:25 AM
I have a Sharp Aquos LCD that isn't top of the line but has a great picture and would definitely recommend for the $$$. If we're talking picture quality only, I think the plasma tv is still the best.

Old Tiger
05-15-2012, 08:30 AM
vizio is best bang for the buck IMO. Especially if you put the visual settings on Vivid.

Emerson1
05-15-2012, 12:58 PM
vizio is best bang for the buck IMO. Especially if you put the visual settings on Vivid.
You don't know what you are talking about if you think vivid settings look good.

Yoe_09
05-15-2012, 02:51 PM
I personally like the Samsung 55" LED. I know it was at Walmart for a while. I think they may have the 70" ones now?

Blastoderm55
05-15-2012, 03:08 PM
Be careful buying TVs from Walmart. The low prices is usually obtained by the store through the trimming of features and connectivity. Then again, if have only 2 HMDI inputs instead of 3-4, or if having to connect the internet through a wired connection as opposed to wireless, are not issues for you, then by all means you can probably get a good set with an affordable service plan to boot. If you're looking to buy cash, I would scope out a set at Best Buy and then buy online at Amazon and have it shipped free. Do it before July though, as they will begin collecting Texas state sales tax. If you want financing, Best Buy always has 0 interest for 18-36 months on home theater, and ship a lot of items for free.

Blastoderm55
05-15-2012, 03:09 PM

The 32" Vizio Razer I got my wife for Christmas has worked out pretty well for us. Just had to disable the soap opera mode.

Emerson1
05-15-2012, 03:48 PM
What he said, get it from Amazon. No tax, free shipping.

Ranger Mom
05-15-2012, 11:42 PM

I bought a 46" Vizio for my bedroom and it was CRAP!! The picture goes dark all the time...it is now in the guest bedroom (sorry guests) and we bought a 50" Insignia Plasma (had never heard of the brand) from Best Buy before Christmas and it has been a GREAT TV so far but the picture isn't near as good on it as it my 50" Samsung.

SintonFan
05-16-2012, 10:46 AM
I bought a 46" Vizio for my bedroom and it was CRAP!! The picture goes dark all the time...it is now in the guest bedroom (sorry guests) and we bought a 50" Insignia Plasma (had never heard of the brand) from Best Buy before Christmas and it has been a GREAT TV so far but the picture isn't near as good on it as it my 50" Samsung.

Insignia is Best Buys generic brand.

Ranger Mom
05-16-2012, 10:50 AM
Insignia is Best Buys generic brand.

I think I remember them telling me that. For $500, it was worth it to me! The picture is good enough for me to watch whatever I wanna watch and it beats the heck out of the Vizio, which I paid a couple of hundred more for!!

Yoe_09
05-16-2012, 12:31 PM
Be careful buying TVs from Walmart. The low prices is usually obtained by the store through the trimming of features and connectivity. Then again, if have only 2 HMDI inputs instead of 3-4, or if having to connect the internet through a wired connection as opposed to wireless, are not issues for you, then by all means you can probably get a good set with an affordable service plan to boot. If you're looking to buy cash, I would scope out a set at Best Buy and then buy online at Amazon and have it shipped free. Do it before July though, as they will begin collecting Texas state sales tax. If you want financing, Best Buy always has 0 interest for 18-36 months on home theater, and ship a lot of items for free.

My grandparents actually got theirs from Best Buy. The TV was exactly the same at both stores, but this was during the Black Friday sales. In general, I would also recommend Best Buy over Walmart.

waterboy
05-23-2012, 12:22 PM
I personally like the Samsung 55" LED. I know it was at Walmart for a while. I think they may have the 70" ones now?
That's the one I have. I am extremely pleased with it. The Samsung 120hz 55" LED has THE clearest and brightest picture I've ever seen. The same TV that I have now, basically, is in $1700 to $1800 range. I paid $2099 for mine at Best Buy over two years ago, and got a "free" blu-ray player thrown in to boot. I would highly recommend getting an LED with at least a 120hz refresh rate, and the best brands in my opinion are Samsung and Sony.

SintonFan
05-24-2012, 10:47 AM
I think I remember them telling me that. For $500, it was worth it to me! The picture is good enough for me to watch whatever I wanna watch and it beats the heck out of the Vizio, which I paid a couple of hundred more for!!

Not judging K, just informing. :)

Yoe_09
05-24-2012, 11:42 PM
That's the one I have. I am extremely pleased with it. The Samsung 120hz 55" LED has THE clearest and brightest picture I've ever seen. The same TV that I have now, basically, is in $1700 to $1800 range. I paid $2099 for mine at Best Buy over two years ago, and got a "free" blu-ray player thrown in to boot. I would highly recommend getting an LED with at least a 120hz refresh rate, and the best brands in my opinion are Samsung and Sony.

Yeah. Vizio used to be big years ago, but I think others such as Samsung and Sony have the better pictures.

AP Panther Fan
05-25-2012, 04:29 PM
The Samsung 120hz 55" LED has THE clearest and brightest picture I've ever seen. I would highly recommend getting an LED with at least a 120hz refresh rate, and the best brands in my opinion are Samsung and Sony.

I bought my daughter a Samsung for Christmas (40 something inches) and it has a wonderful picture. Sam's Club was the best price (by far) that I found.

Emerson1
05-25-2012, 06:01 PM
Plasma > LED

defense51
05-27-2012, 01:16 AM
Try Costco also if there is one near you, they have some really good prices and throw in two years of their concierge service (like an extended warranty) included in the purchase price. They also have an excellent return policy, no questions asked within 60 days if I remember correctly.