PDA

View Full Version : Gainesville?

Eagle1
05-11-2012, 03:25 PM
Is Gainesville looking for a new coach? I always thought this was one of the top 3a jobs in the state. How are they going to be next year? What kind of young talent do they have returning?

regaleagle
05-11-2012, 05:22 PM
I don't think they will be able to do much damage agianst their district foes in football next year, but I could be mistaken. They are 0-6 against Argyle in football, and didn't perform that well this past season. Now they will have Bridgeport, Decatur, and Sanger to deal with even though Argyle moves to District 10 with Celina.

bigwood33
05-11-2012, 08:41 PM
Gainesville has 2 really athletic kids but not much else. Gainesville has become a pretty rough place and a couple of years ago, instituted a uniform policy at the HS due to some gang issues. There appears to be an erroneous idea that there are a bunch of really good kids walking the halls but that doesn't appear to be the case these days. In 2010, Coach Gary did a really nice job and they lost to Madison in the 2nd round (I think) but other than that brief appearance, they have been very average to below average since their last Championship run (lost to Wimberley). Now they have named the basketball coach the AD and are looking for a HFC who teaches math. I am sure they will find somebody but you can bet he won't be the same kid of coach that they could have gotten in the past.

regaleagle
05-11-2012, 09:08 PM
Well, they did upgrade their facilities and have a new high school, field, and track. And I guess a new gym to go with it.

bigwood33
05-11-2012, 09:16 PM
Well, they did upgrade their facilities and have a new high school, field, and track. And I guess a new gym to go with it.
Yep but those are the only upgrades...they still have the same kids.

Tejastrue
05-11-2012, 10:22 PM
Okay..where did the money come from for the upgrades...surely it wasn't voted on...

regaleagle
05-11-2012, 10:28 PM
Yeah, it was. I'm thinking I remember they had a huge push about 4 years ago to get the bond passed because one of the landoweners out on I-35 donated his land for the project. Bigwood, isn't this what happened? I'm pretty sure it was something to this effect.

Pick6
05-14-2012, 09:09 AM
Gainesville did not pass a bond for the football field. School built that on their own doings. Pretty sure the land wasn't donated either. The dress code was put in when the new school was opened, which the faculty, excluding the last principle, has said is a good thing. Yes Gainesville does have problems, but it isn't near as bad as it seems from them outside. My sister works in the administration office over there and one of my old friends is a GISD police officer. According to him they have less fighting/drugs, over there in the last 3-4 years than going back to the early 2000's. Sports wise right now it looks like the girls basketball will be the best thing going for the next few years. It will be very interesting to see who they get as HFC.

Bullaholic
05-14-2012, 09:47 AM
Ever since Jeff Cordell took the 04' Leopards, one of the best 3A teams I ever saw, to a SC---Gainesville has been down. Who knows where they are right now. Selfishly, I hope they don't get too good, too fast, being in the same district now with the Bulls.

warpath
05-14-2012, 10:03 AM
Ever since Jeff Cordell took the 04' Leopards, one of the best 3A teams I ever saw, to a SC---Gainesville has been down. Who knows where they are right now. Selfishly, I hope they don't get too good, too fast, being in the same district now with the Bulls.Actually, Gainesville won state in 2003 and played for it again in 2005 losing to Wimberley in the Championship...

Bullaholic
05-14-2012, 10:09 AM
Actually, Gainesville won state in 2003 and played for it again in 2005 losing to Wimberley in the Championship...

Hey--You'll be old one day, too...:D

Thanks for the correction, and sorry for the error.....

Matthew328
05-14-2012, 10:16 AM
Someone said it already, Gainesville's not as bad a place at it was in the early 2000's when they were real good

warpath
05-14-2012, 11:07 AM
Coached in Gainesville for 2 years (08,09).The school gets a bad rap.The gang stuff everyone talks about didn't even happen on campus.The new HS (2008) is very nice and spacious.. Never saw any gang activity and discipline was very good. Athletically, not much walking the halls that could help. Football field (turf,concession stands,lighting,bleachers,and track) along with the softball field were paid for through the Fund Balance.. Not a Bond election.. Athletic facilities were not on the HS bond issue that passed because they were on the previous election and were voted down..

DeuceDeuce
05-14-2012, 11:18 AM
How many good applicants will they get if it is not AD and has to be a Math Teacher?

OldNavy
05-14-2012, 11:23 AM
How many good applicants will they get if it is not AD and has to be a Math Teacher?

So are you saying math teachers don't make good coaches, or are you saying that limits the number of choices? Or could you be saying with out the administrator position, there won't be quality head coaches apply if they have to teach classes? Or both?

Gone Fishing
05-14-2012, 11:48 AM
So are you saying math teachers don't make good coaches, or are you saying that limits the number of choices? Or could you be saying with out the administrator position, there won't be quality head coaches apply if they have to teach classes? Or both?

One of Wimberley's best coaches is a math teacher.

Ville-D
05-14-2012, 11:56 AM
Best math teacher I had in HS was a coach (Delbert Kelm). He is now the AD at Crawford. Before him I hated math, but he made it fun. I learned a lot and went on to Major in math in college.

Txbroadcaster
05-14-2012, 12:00 PM
Matt Turner the OC at gilmer was my 8th grade math teacher at Marshall, wonderful teacher and coach

DeuceDeuce
05-14-2012, 01:28 PM

I was ASKING how much this will hurt the candidate pool. I know a lot of good coaches that teach math, but would not take a head football position if they had to teach math, and I know know a lot of good coaches that teach subjects other than math.

With all the coments about how every one knows a great math / coach, it looks like they will have hundreds of qualified candidates.

Ville-D
05-14-2012, 01:43 PM
With all the coments about how every one knows a great math / coach, it looks like they will have hundreds of qualified candidates.

That's quite the extrapolation... From 3 replies about math teachers to hundreds of candidates. Now that's math.

Twirling Time
05-14-2012, 04:50 PM
Gainesville has been losing population and that's cut into the talent pool. They were a big 3A for many, many years (borderline 4A at times, they were 4A before 1988) but their enrollment dropped into the low 600s a couple of years ago.

It's back up to 676 for this alignment, but that is still below average for 3A today, and that's a tough part of the state to be smaller and still competitive.

turbostud
05-14-2012, 04:53 PM
Gainesville did not pass a bond for the football field. School built that on their own doings. Pretty sure the land wasn't donated either. The dress code was put in when the new school was opened, which the faculty, excluding the last principle, has said is a good thing. Yes Gainesville does have problems, but it isn't near as bad as it seems from them outside. My sister works in the administration office over there and one of my old friends is a GISD police officer. According to him they have less fighting/drugs, over there in the last 3-4 years than going back to the early 2000's. Sports wise right now it looks like the girls basketball will be the best thing going for the next few years. It will be very interesting to see who they get as HFC.

I was told the Girls basketball coach is leaving to go to Cooper. Will be interesting to see if the girls bball team can adjust.
Interestingly, his wife, who is also a teacher at Gville, had nothing but great things to say about GISD which is contrary to everything I have ever heard about Gville.

bigwood33
05-14-2012, 05:00 PM
I can assure you that Warpath has more insight here than I have.
As I said in my earlier post, they have 2 kids that are really athletic and can create some real problems for defenses. Other than that, not much. Our JV drilled them and we beat them by 2 TD's with our backup QB, who had 7 fumbles in the game. Their 8th grade bunch looked pretty good but it will be at least 2 years before they are able to help much at the varsity level and it may be 3 years.
I think the observation about the math requirement and no AD for the head football coach being an issue is legit. Football is, by far, the most time consuming sport to coach and a HC who not only has to teach classes but he will also have TAKS (or whatever that call it these days) responsibilities will REALLY have his hands full. It certainly doesn't make this a very attractive job.
Warpath, am I pretty close to right on this?

bigcat8
05-14-2012, 05:03 PM
In 2010, realignment helped that situation a bunch... Losing Celina and Prosper was huge!!
Gainesville has 2 really athletic kids but not much else. Gainesville has become a pretty rough place and a couple of years ago, instituted a uniform policy at the HS due to some gang issues. There appears to be an erroneous idea that there are a bunch of really good kids walking the halls but that doesn't appear to be the case these days. In 2010, Coach Gary did a really nice job and they lost to Madison in the 2nd round (I think) but other than that brief appearance, they have been very average to below average since their last Championship run (lost to Wimberley). Now they have named the basketball coach the AD and are looking for a HFC who teaches math. I am sure they will find somebody but you can bet he won't be the same kid of coach that they could have gotten in the past.

warpath
05-14-2012, 06:19 PM
Pretty close... It should be very interesting to say the least!
I can assure you that Warpath has more insight here than I have.
As I said in my earlier post, they have 2 kids that are really athletic and can create some real problems for defenses. Other than that, not much. Our JV drilled them and we beat them by 2 TD's with our backup QB, who had 7 fumbles in the game. Their 8th grade bunch looked pretty good but it will be at least 2 years before they are able to help much at the varsity level and it may be 3 years.
I think the observation about the math requirement and no AD for the head football coach being an issue is legit. Football is, by far, the most time consuming sport to coach and a HC who not only has to teach classes but he will also have TAKS (or whatever that call it these days) responsibilities will REALLY have his hands full. It certainly doesn't make this a very attractive job.
Warpath, am I pretty close to right on this?

bigwood33
05-14-2012, 06:38 PM
I might mention that when Warpath went to Gainesville, he inherited a pretty dysfunctional bunch who just weren't very good. His first year there, he was trying to just get them all to pull the same direction, his 2nd they were pretty darned good.

Pick6
05-15-2012, 02:28 PM
Looks like Coach Keith Hall, from Denton High and previously Vernon, will be the new coach. Anyone have any thoughts about him??