PDA

View Full Version : 40 Times

Victory10
05-09-2012, 12:18 PM
What r the best drills to help your fourty time?

Bullaholic
05-09-2012, 12:22 PM
What r the best drills to help your fourty time?

Ben Gay in your athletic supporter with a kiddie pool full of water at the finish line....:D

Victory10
05-09-2012, 12:28 PM
u sound like a real coach!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old Tiger
05-09-2012, 12:39 PM
All times of clean workouts get your fast twitch muscle fibers working the best as far as weight training plus it builds explosiveness.

Strict plyometrics help as well. Boxes are good for the explosion also.

Just sprint exercises with bungees or without. 100s and 150s are pretty good for sprint distances without cables. With bungees I'd say about 50 yards. Just be sure they are working on their take off form when doing sprints without bungee.

Squat is a rather pointless workout for building speed.

Gone Fishing
05-09-2012, 03:25 PM
I always taught 10 speed (ie. explode off the line real low and hard for 10 full yards) if your 10 speed is real good the 40 time takes care of its self, relaxing and striding the last 20 or so yards. A workout I had my son do in JH and Freshman years was 6 10's ; 3 20's ; 1 40. Doesn't sound like much, but do it everyday during summer, each one as hard as you can. Time that first 40 and then time the last one in Aug. you might be surprised.

Manso/V8
05-09-2012, 06:35 PM
creatine

Rabid Cougar
05-09-2012, 07:51 PM
Move to East Texas

FB-fanatic
05-09-2012, 09:48 PM
Move to East Texas

Like!

OLE'BULL
05-10-2012, 08:12 AM
I always taught 10 speed (ie. explode off the line real low and hard for 10 full yards) if your 10 speed is real good the 40 time takes care of its self, relaxing and striding the last 20 or so yards. A workout I had my son do in JH and Freshman years was 6 10's ; 3 20's ; 1 40. Doesn't sound like much, but do it everyday during summer, each one as hard as you can. Time that first 40 and then time the last one in Aug. you might be surprised.

This is similar to what I did to drop my 40 time. Also, pulling sleds, tires, training with bungees & parachutes are very helpful. Try running uphill, as well as downhill. Running downhill will train your body to HAVE to move faster. Starts are extremely important. If you can master the art of a 40 start, you are good. Another thing to think about would be running a few 45-50 yard sprints. This will train your body to not slow down early. Believe it or not, sprinting perfectly for 40 yds is difficult. So if you train for a little more distance, you should be fine. The 40 is not JUST about speed, but having the proper technique from start to finish. I dropped .10 seconds off my 40 time in one off season going in to my senior year consistatntly working on it. Once you get to a desired time. The goal is to add as much size as you can while not losing that speed. Once i got to college, I only dropped .02 seconds my whole time there. BUT, I also put on 20-25 lbs.

Old Tiger
05-10-2012, 08:33 AM
This is similar to what I did to drop my 40 time. Also, pulling sleds, tires, training with bungees & parachutes are very helpful. Try running uphill, as well as downhill. Running downhill will train your body to HAVE to move faster. Starts are extremely important. If you can master the art of a 40 start, you are good. Another thing to think about would be running a few 45-50 yard sprints. This will train your body to not slow down early. Believe it or not, sprinting perfectly for 40 yds is difficult. So if you train for a little more distance, you should be fine. The 40 is not JUST about speed, but having the proper technique from start to finish. I dropped .10 seconds off my 40 time in one off season going in to my senior year consistatntly working on it. Once you get to a desired time. The goal is to add as much size as you can while not losing that speed. Once i got to college, I only dropped .02 seconds my whole time there. BUT, I also put on 20-25 lbs.A lot of people think that 45-50 yards is a good distance but its really not. Because of the explosion and loss of energy in the first 10 you need to have your body trained for a distance substantially longer than 40 yards. To keep your stamina high throughout the remaining 30. That is done by running distances of 100-150.

Like a 100m guy in track just doesn't do workouts that go 110 meters or so.

OLE'BULL
05-10-2012, 09:10 AM
A lot of people think that 45-50 yards is a good distance but its really not. Because of the explosion and loss of energy in the first 10 you need to have your body trained for a distance substantially longer than 40 yards. To keep your stamina high throughout the remaining 30. That is done by running distances of 100-150.

Like a 100m guy in track just doesn't do workouts that go 110 meters or so.

I agree 110%. I was assuming that they would be incorporating other sprinting and stamina workouts along with this. You have to run other distances as well to get in playing/sprinting shape.

Txbroadcaster
05-10-2012, 09:46 AM
Move to East Texas

no East Texas has guards at each entrance point who 40 time kids moving in..if not fast enough they turn them away

MGAR
05-10-2012, 11:40 AM
My junior year I ran a 5.1 on my first run...

Switched lanes to get a different coach on stopwatch and ran a 4.79..

It's as simple as that.

SHSBulldog00
05-10-2012, 12:34 PM
http://youtu.be/yPCGqhor61U

BILLYFRED0000
05-10-2012, 01:07 PM
Work on the start. Most people lose more time there than anywhere else. One good way to practice your start is to run up hill. it will work on your power running and start at the same time as well as make you feel like you have to stay low. A good 10 yard incline is perfect. I watched my daughters time drop about .3 seconds just on this one drill alone. The other flaws are mainly arm action and stride length corrections but some has to see what you are doing there. One good way to check your stride length is to run up an incline at full speed. Not a steep one so you can keep striding. If you find yourself landing on your heels you are overstriding.