PDA

View Full Version : Farmer's Markets and Roadside Stands

Bullaholic
05-07-2012, 05:06 PM
Growing up in Texas in the 50's and part of the 60's, there used to be roadside produce stands on every highway and lots of Farmer's Markets. Nowadays things have dwindled down to a few Farmer's markets in only the big cities. Sure miss true fresh and inexpensive fruits and veggies.

My dad was with me over 10 years ago when I gave $3.99 for a watermelon in a store, and I thought I was going to have to call the paramedics....:D

hollywood
05-07-2012, 05:09 PM
Sad times indeed. :(

Bullaholic
05-07-2012, 05:25 PM
Anybody eaten an ice-cold, sweet, Irish Gray yellow-meat melon in years? Black Diamonds from around Rockdale-Cameron were always great.

Weatherford peaches are great.

Used to enjoy Pecos cantaloupe years ago.

Roughneck93
05-07-2012, 05:41 PM
I still get the yellow meat watermelon every year when they become available.

It's been a long time since I've had a Black Diamond or Pecos cantaloupe.

defense51
05-07-2012, 07:16 PM
If you ever went through Bluff Dale in the 70's and 80's you probably saw my grandfather selling tomatoes on 377, that and fishing was what his retirement consisted of. Like most of the small roadside stands he put alot of pride and knowledge in his product, I remember everyone always bragging on how good his tomatoes were.

coach
05-07-2012, 08:18 PM
I worked at. Roadside produce stand a few years ago. It's called cooper farm peaches.mtheir peaches were great and they had everything from fresh corn to plums. It was fun, but my boss was the biggest asshole I have ever worked for.

turbostud
05-08-2012, 12:30 AM
There are produce stands all over south texas.

buckeyebob
05-08-2012, 07:31 AM
Anybody eaten an ice-cold, sweet, Irish Gray yellow-meat melon in years? Black Diamonds from around Rockdale-Cameron were always great.

Weatherford peaches are great.

Used to enjoy Pecos cantaloupe years ago.

We still have Black Diamonds here...used to pick them up at the ice house (now a vacant lot)

Farmersfan
05-08-2012, 09:02 AM
It seems to me that with all the increased rules and regulations in place it is becoming harder and harder for a honest person to sell their wares by the roadside. Not only that but with the increase in crime and the attitude of self importance that permeates this society how does a person keep from being robbed blind. Hell, these days if you have car trouble and leave your car on the side of the road you will return to find all your windows broken out. I even see a lot of broke down vehicles that get burned to the ground by stupid vandals just out to have a good time. We live in a weird time my friends! A roadside fruit stand would represent an open invitation for mischief or vandalism......................

JustAFan
05-08-2012, 09:31 AM
Miss those days. And many of the stands were on an honor system. A cigar box for the money and price listed on a piece of cardboard ("$3 per basket, put your money in the box"). Lots of times I only had a $5, so I would put that in. If they tried that now people would not only steal the money, but the produce and go sell it somewhere else.

regaleagle
05-08-2012, 09:34 AM
Just curious, FF. Does Farmersville have a Farmer's Market, or a stand that sells its wares from around the area???

raider red 2000
05-08-2012, 06:22 PM
There are produce stands all over south texas.

Where at I am in refugio. And I have seen a truck in between sinton and rockport on a small road. Other than that I don't see many. Maybe I am not south enough.

Farmersfan
05-09-2012, 02:46 PM
Just curious, FF. Does Farmersville have a Farmer's Market, or a stand that sells its wares from around the area???

Farmersville use to be the onion capital of the area. the railroad hauled onions out of Farmersville. We have the Onion shed down town that is supposed to be a landmark and I'm pretty sure the Farmers football field is officially called the Onion Bowl... all I know is that opponents can't help but cry when they play there!!! :foul::blush: We do have a couple of places were fresh produce is sold but if i'm not mistaken it is brought in from elsewhere.....................

SintonFan_inAustin
05-09-2012, 06:32 PM
Growing up in Texas in the 50's and part of the 60's, there used to be roadside produce stands on every highway and lots of Farmer's Markets. Nowadays things have dwindled down to a few Farmer's markets in only the big cities. Sure miss true fresh and inexpensive fruits and veggies.

My dad was with me over 10 years ago when I gave $3.99 for a watermelon in a store, and I thought I was going to have to call the paramedics....:Di still see plenty of stands around the coastal bend, i usually stop and get some pecans from one pecan stand just outside of Victoria on Hwy 59 when i'm working in that area.

AP Panther Fan
05-10-2012, 11:11 AM
Growing up in Ingleside, there used to be a fruit and vegetable stand (actually where the HEB parking lot is today). I remember watching my grandmother, on her front porch, shell peas for hours on end. It always amazed me...I just wanted to run my hands through the bowl.:)

SHSBulldog00
05-10-2012, 11:17 AM
I love going to Fredericksburg and New Braunfels

Also the watermelons in Luling and Hempstead