PDA

View Full Version : New Big 12 TV Deal

Txbroadcaster
05-07-2012, 03:58 PM
Big 12 presidents have verbally agreed to a lucrative new media rights agreement, a source told CBSSports.com.

The deal is expected to be the one reported by CBSSports.com on March 13 worth a combined $2.6 billion with ESPN and Fox. The 13-year deal is projected to be worth $200 million annually to the conference (an average of $20 million per school) through 2025. For the moment, the Big 12 enters the stratosphere of the Pac-12, SEC and Big Ten, all of which are near or above the $200 million per year mark.

Expected to be announced along with the new deal is an extension of the league's grant of rights. League CEOs had previously agreed to a six-year grant of rights that would allow the conference to keep a school's television rights if it left for a new league. The expectation is that the new grant of rights will be 13 years to match the TV deal. That provision essentially binds the at-times contentious league together for the term of the agreement.

The hiring last week of Bob Bowlsby as the new Big 12 commissioner has to be an indication that the TV announcement is near and the league is on stable ground.

Even though it has been nearly two months since the news of the deal broke, lawyers continue to work on details of the final contract. While there isn't expected to be a hang up, the source added that until the agreements are actually signed the deal is not official.

The Big 12's current deal with ESPN/ABC doesn't expire until 2016. That part of the agreement is being termed an extension that would “sync up” with a $1.2 billion, 13-year deal signed with Fox in April 2011.

The first order of business for Bowlsby is possible expansion. While there are few candidates available that would be worth $20 million annually to the contract, it is known that Louisville is interested in joining the league.

Old Tiger
05-07-2012, 04:19 PM
With LHN and this deal how much is UT expected to make from this stuff alone?

I think the school the big 12 wants the most is Notre Dame.

bigwood33
05-07-2012, 04:20 PM
Some Ags might be experiencing "buyers remorse" if these figures turn out to be accurate. Go to a conference with much lower academic standards and prestige, leave their traditional rivalries, and do it for the same money. I'd be having some 2nd thoughts.

BEAST
05-07-2012, 04:30 PM
Some Ags might be experiencing "buyers remorse" if these figures turn out to be accurate. Go to a conference with much lower academic standards and prestige, leave their traditional rivalries, and do it for the same money. I'd be having some 2nd thoughts.

Ill be willing to bet that the SEC has an upgrade coming.

BEAST

bigwood33
05-07-2012, 04:42 PM
Maybe but you can't know that. As great as the SEC is, they have no top 15 TV market and their best football schools are in Alabama and Louisiana...2 of the poorest states in the Union and the best of the rest just fired their coach (who made them relevant). More money may not be rolling in right away.
Oh, to prove my point, the aTm AD who guided them to the SEC has been run out...how's that for an endorsement of his leadership.

hollywood
05-07-2012, 05:12 PM
Sucks to be an Ag! lol

But the Reveille Ranch was cool.. an aTm alumni apparently.

regaleagle
05-07-2012, 07:49 PM
As far as I'm concerned A&M should drop their "Texas" tag, since they've been willing to drop everything else that was sacred to former Ags. Just joking, but it's not really a joke to alot of former Ags that are steeped into Aggie Tradition. Shame on those running things at A&M.

FB-fanatic
05-07-2012, 09:44 PM
Sucks to be an Ag! lol

But the Reveille Ranch was cool.. an aTm alumni ap

Na, doesn't suck to be an Ag. My son graduates Friday with a double major and one of the most respected degrees in the nation. Then on to medical school in September. All the while playing four years of Rugby for the ninth ranked team in the nation,traveling the nation playing teams like Notre Dame, LSU, Utah State, and steeped in rich traditions and student body that packs a stadium no matter where ranked, including years when you beat Oklahoma, Nebraska and UT. Proud of a graduating QB that goes number 8 overall; that beats the eventual Heisman Trophy winner. Am I one of these old-standing long traditioned Aggie families? No. Did I go there? No. But did we get "hooked in" to a great university.... yes. So I would have to say... "It feels pretty damn good to be and Aggie right now!".

regaleagle
05-07-2012, 10:33 PM
Congrats to your son, FB-fanatic. I'm certain his future is bright. My brother graduated w/honors there, went on to have a great career and retired last year as a full bird colonel. Now he subcontracts himself to the US army in a counselling mode for Special Ops. He was class of '73, and I have 3 cousins that are Aggie grads as well. Our family is split Longhorn/Ag at family gatherings, but we all have much respect for the tradition at A&M. And everybody born in Texas knows the Ags do stick together and help each other out like none other after graduation and thruout life. Your son is to be commended. I'm happy for you, even though I'm a Longhorn fan.

VWG
05-08-2012, 07:51 AM
It's college athletics... you can say what you want, but football is the money maker and king.

SEC is the dominant conference hands down.
A&M & Missouri made a good move on their part.
It was a definite upgrade in conferences.

Both the Aggies and Texas need to settle their pity differences and play again though. That's what is BS.

Lion70
05-08-2012, 08:08 AM
It's college athletics... you can say what you want, but football is the money maker and king.

SEC is the dominant conference hands down.
A&M & Missouri made a good move on their part.
It was a definite upgrade in conferences.

Both the Aggies and Texas need to settle their pity differences and play again though. That's what is BS.

BUt but there booked with rice and wyoming lol