PDA

View Full Version : Rules for Warm-up games

regaleagle
05-01-2012, 06:04 PM
Does anyone know what the rules are regarding warm-up games leading to the playoffs in baseball? How many can a team schedule, and will some of the teams with byes play at least one more before their first game, which is another week from this Friday...May 12 or 13th. Seems like a long time to wait to play when they haven't played since last week in their first warm-up.

Rabid Cougar
05-01-2012, 07:12 PM
West has played three as of tonight.

NastySlot
05-01-2012, 07:42 PM
teams(players) can do the following 2 tourneys plus 20 games or 3 tourneys plus 17 games. A district champion gets to add one game and play it before their first playoff game.

so if a team hasn't used all of it 's 20 or 17 and is the champion they get what's left of the 20/17 plus one more game.

so if team A played two tourneys and 18 regular season games they have two left over plus the 1 gain for being the champion.

regaleagle
05-01-2012, 08:50 PM
So if Argyle has a 21-5 record and has played one warm-up game, then according to what you just stated they are done until their first playoff matchup, which is May 13th. I guess they will just practice, practice, practice until then.

Yoe_09
05-01-2012, 09:15 PM
West has played three as of tonight.

Right now West has a record of 24-7(not including the warm-up games). 12 of those are coming from tournaments if I am not mistaken. That means they have played a total of 19 games. With the 3 warm-ups that would be 22 total games and 3 tournaments. I am also not sure how they count the 1 game they played in the Connally Tournament(being counted as a tournament or just a regular game since there was only 1 game played).

NastySlot
05-01-2012, 09:34 PM
So if Argyle has a 21-5 record and has played one warm-up game, then according to what you just stated they are done until their first playoff matchup, which is May 13th. I guess they will just practice, practice, practice until then.

depends how many of those 26 games were in tournament play.

correction...if one was the warm up game for being the district champ....it would be how many of the 25

Rabid Cougar
05-01-2012, 09:39 PM
Right now West has a record of 24-7(not including the warm-up games). 12 of those are coming from tournaments if I am not mistaken. That means they have played a total of 19 games. With the 3 warm-ups that would be 22 total games and 3 tournaments. I am also not sure how they count the 1 game they played in the Connally Tournament(being counted as a tournament or just a regular game since there was only 1 game played).

Robinson also played one game in the Connally Tournament. ( Snyder at Gatesville). It was counted as one game. Robinson is playing Argyle tonight.
West played someone last week( heard thier radio announcer mention that), played China Spring Saturday and Liberty Hill tonight at Troy.

Yoe_09
05-01-2012, 09:48 PM
Robinson also played one game in the Connally Tournament. ( Snyder at Gatesville). It was counted as one game. Robinson is playing Argyle tonight.
West played someone last week( heard thier radio announcer mention that), played China Spring Saturday and Liberty Hill tonight at Troy.

So if everything is right, it would be 21 games(including that one in the Connally Tourney) and 2 tournaments. 2 of the games on the overall record are included already(Byron Nelson & China Spring). They would be allowed 21 with the district championship.

regaleagle
05-01-2012, 10:31 PM
According to the Argyle schedule in 3a baseball.com, they played 9 games in 2 tourneys. So out of 25 pre-warmup games, subtracting 9 games leaves them with only 16 games, plus 2 tourneys(9 gms. total) and one warmup game. That means they can play 4 more warmup games, according to the 20/17 rule outlined above. Tonite they played Robinson, so that leaves them 3 more. Not a bad way to go, Argyle. I think they were really scheduled for a third tourney, but it was cancelled due to bad weather. So now they have more games to use as warmups. I hope I'm getting this right.

3&2count
05-02-2012, 06:26 AM
If the district champions have a bye for the first round of the play-offs, those schools may schedule a warm-up game in addition to the game limits. This additional game shall be played on a non-school night with no loss of school time, but may not be played as an exception to
the school week limitation.