PDA

View Full Version : Sweetwater's Joe Banyard signed by The Jacksonville Jaguars

Phantom Stang
05-01-2012, 11:24 AM
Joe Banyard signed as a free agentApril 30, 2012

Ex-Sweetwater star Joe Banyard is now an undrafted free agent with the NFL’s Jacksonville Jaguars after being offered a contract by the team Saturday.
Banyard, a running back at the University of Texas-El Paso the past two years, was picked up along with his UTEP teammate Antwon Blake. In addition, UTEP’s Donovan Kemp was signed by the Dallas Cowboys and a fourth UTEP player, Matt Camilli, signed with the Philadelphia Eagles.

After leaving Sweetwater following his high school graduation in 2007, Banyard committed to play for TCU but eventually wound up at in El Paso at UTEP the past two seasons, rushing for 608 yards in 2010 and 832 yards in 2011.

In his college career with the Miners, Banyard ran for 1,440 yards on 236 carries and scored 14 touchdowns while averaging 6.1 yards per carry, and he also caught 29 passes for 176 yards. His best game at UTEP this past season came when he ran for 240 yards on just 22 carries and a touchdown against Houston.

regaleagle
05-01-2012, 05:47 PM
I remember him when we played Sweetwater in a playoff game that year, and then he ran on their track relay teams as well. He had great speed and very good moves at the rb position. My son was a Sr. that year(06-07) and played d-back and ran track against him. Does anyone know if he will be a dback or rb and what his size is now?

Phantom Stang
05-01-2012, 08:52 PM
I remember him when we played Sweetwater in a playoff game that year, and then he ran on their track relay teams as well. He had great speed and very good moves at the rb position. My son was a Sr. that year(06-07) and played d-back and ran track against him. Does anyone know if he will be a dback or rb and what his size is now?
He's listed at 210 or 213 depending on the source. He was a running back in college, so I'd assume that's the position he'll play in the pros. However, he was also a fearless linebacker in High School. Given that, as well as well as his speed, I think he could have the potential to be an excellent safety in the NFL.

stang92
05-02-2012, 06:19 AM
Ex Texas-El Paso Miner like David Terrell who played for the Skins