PDA

View Full Version : Final Cowboy Draft Thoughts

Txbroadcaster
04-30-2012, 09:11 AM
The "experts" seem to think Dallas had a good weekend..thoughts?

Old Tiger
04-30-2012, 09:20 AM
I like the Claiborne and Hanna picks the most. Hanna is very versatile with speed to be a great TE/h back/FB. Gives the Cowboys a lot of options on offense to move around and have different formations.

Coele has good hands and will be a good slot guy for the cowboys due to his route running ability.

The Crawford pick addresses the need at DE in the 3-4. They drafted to get some depth as well.

Overall I'd give it a solid B.

waterboy
04-30-2012, 09:37 AM
I'd have to give them a solid "B", too. Claiborne will be a game changer in coverage.

Farmersfan
04-30-2012, 09:44 AM
The "experts" seem to think Dallas had a good weekend..thoughts?

Really? Mel Kiper gave Dallas a C+ right along with the Redskins and Giants. He graded the Eagles an A. I don't normally give Kiper much thought but isn't he pretty much recognized as the top guru of NFL drafting?

I like the Claiborne pick but Dallas gave up too much to get him. They needed that #45 pick. How much will be determined by how well their free agent pickups perform................ Newman gone! Elam gone! And rumors of possible trades for Jenkins! Completely rebuilding a defensive backfield like this when they have so many other issues might just bite them in the butt. We shall see.
I give the Cowboy's draft a B-.

Old Tiger
04-30-2012, 09:46 AM
Really? Mel Kiper gave Dallas a C+ right along with the Redskins and Giants. He graded the Eagles an A. I don't normally give Kiper much thought but isn't he pretty much recognized as the top guru of NFL drafting?

I like the Claiborne pick but Dallas gave up too much to get him. They needed that #45 pick. How much will be determined by how well their free agent pickups perform................ Newman gone! Elam gone! And rumors of possible trades for Jenkins! Completely rebuilding a defensive backfield like this when they have so many other issues might just bite them in the butt. We shall see.
I give the Cowboy's draft a B-. The Claiborn pick was worth it if he can be that shut down corner they project especially in Ryan's defense. It would allow them to attack the offense and blitz more.

I give the Redskins a C-

The only thing keeping it a C is the RGIII selection. The cousins pick up was bad just because of all they gave up to get RGIII so picks were going to be tough to come by and they took another QB in the middle of the draft. The middle of the draft is where your team is built according to experts.

Lion70
04-30-2012, 09:47 AM
Overall a B we needed A ( Good ) corner and remember Tony romo didnot play defense lol.

Bullaholic
04-30-2012, 09:53 AM
Thought the Cowboys had an excellent draft because they traded up and got an impact player in Claiborne instead of sitting back, trading down, and saying "we'll play these..." Rest of the picks were solid according to players available. The new secondary will take some time to co-ordinate, but at least they will have some players who can make plays on the ball and come up with some ints, plus be able to accomplish a real corner blitz when the "Lion" calls one because the rest of the secondary can maintain coverage. Maybe the Cowboys will have a defense that the other teams will finally have to reckon with for 4 quarters. I can't wait.

I give their picks a B...

Txbroadcaster
04-30-2012, 09:57 AM

I give the Cowboy's draft a B-.

Kiper grades different than most..he does not grade on the draft as a whole but how a team picks needs...so he will give a team a higher grade for picking a need position over best talent on the board.

The average I have seen seems to be about a B

http://www.bloggingtheboys.com/2012/4/29/2986020/dallas-cowboys-draft-grades-receive-positive-early-reviews-from-nfl-analysts-except-mel-kiper

And I dont see how rebuilding the worst part of the team can in anyway be close to being a bad thing.

MGAR
04-30-2012, 12:08 PM
I'm more happy about the former Tatum Eagle getting invite than anything...

If he makes the team, I might have to jump on the bandwagon..

waterboy
04-30-2012, 12:29 PM
I'm more happy about the former Tatum Eagle getting invite than anything...

If he makes the team, I might have to jump on the bandwagon..
I hope Bryce Beall can make an impact. He'll definitely have to open some eyes early, though, to have a chance at making the roster.

Tejastrue
04-30-2012, 12:51 PM
After signing Carr earlier this year and now drafting Claiborne we've addressed a huge part of the problem on defense. I'm not sure we could have done much better considering the limited draft picks we had. Maybe drafted a QB. ;)

defense51
04-30-2012, 01:04 PM
Claiborne will definitely help shore up a secondary that has been dismal the last couple of years, they get an A for this pick. The remaining draft picks probably get a B, hopefully Crawford can contribute at DE which I think was a solid pick. The remaining picks I dont know enough about other than what I've heard. Overall the Cowboys get a B.

Old Tiger
04-30-2012, 01:06 PM
After signing Carr earlier this year and now drafting Claiborne we've addressed a huge part of the problem on defense. I'm not sure we could have done much better considering the limited draft picks we had. Maybe drafted a QB. ;)The LB core is pretty solid with a healthy Lee, Ware, Spencer, and the other guy.

The defensive line is the biggest question mark for the Cowboys is defensive tackle. I know a lot of Cowboys fans like Ratliff but he is the weakest point on the DL. They need to go out and get a big 1 tech defensive tackle that will take up 2 blockers in the middle and help funnel plays to the linebackers.

Bullaholic
04-30-2012, 01:13 PM
The LB core is pretty solid with a healthy Lee, Ware, Spencer, and the other guy.

The defensive line is the biggest question mark for the Cowboys is defensive tackle. I know a lot of Cowboys fans like Ratliff but he is the weakest point on the DL. They need to go out and get a big 1 tech defensive tackle that will take up 2 blockers in the middle and help funnel plays to the linebackers.

Granted Ratliff is not your 350lb run-stopper nosetackle, but he did manage to get around enough to make all-pro.

Old Tiger
04-30-2012, 01:29 PM
Granted Ratliff is not your 350lb run-stopper nosetackle, but he did manage to get around enough to make all-pro.But in a 3-4 you don't want a pass rushing nos tackle. He doesn't fit the grand scheme of things. Go around the league and look at the top 3-4 teams and their nose tackles.

Pittsburgh Steelers - Casey hampton 6'1 325
Baltimore Ravens - Terrance Cody 6'4 349
New England Patriots - Vince Wilfork 6'2 325
Houston Texans - Shaun Cody 6'4 301
New York Jets - Sione Pouha 6'3 325
San Fransisco 49ers - Isaac Sopoaga 6'2 330
Green Bay Packers - BJ Raji 6'2 337
San Diego Chargers - Antonio Garay 6'4 320

He's around 15 lbs smaller than the smallest guy listed.

Bullaholic
04-30-2012, 01:38 PM
But in a 3-4 you don't want a pass rushing nos tackle. He doesn't fit the grand scheme of things. Go around the league and look at the top 3-4 teams and their nose tackles.

Pittsburgh Steelers - Casey hampton 6'1 325
Baltimore Ravens - Terrance Cody 6'4 349
New England Patriots - Vince Wilfork 6'2 325
Houston Texans - Shaun Cody 6'4 301
New York Jets - Sione Pouha 6'3 325
San Fransisco 49ers - Isaac Sopoaga 6'2 330
Green Bay Packers - BJ Raji 6'2 337
San Diego Chargers - Antonio Garay 6'4 320

He's around 15 lbs smaller than the smallest guy listed.

My guess is the Cowboys will trade or draft for a big NT and Ratliff will move to DE. In the meantime---he ain't too shabby---those big NT's have been keeping teams from making a first down, but Ratliff has been sacking the QB and preventing TD passes---:D

Old Tiger
04-30-2012, 01:41 PM
My guess is the Cowboys will trade or draft for a big NT and Ratliff will move to DE. In the meantime---he ain't too shabby---those big NT's have been keeping teams from making a first down, but Ratliff has been sacking the QB and preventing TD passes---:DIn most 3-4s you have a strong side defensive end, a nose tackle, and a defensive tackle playing the other position

Bullaholic
04-30-2012, 01:44 PM
In most 3-4s you have a strong side defensive end, a nose tackle, and a defensive tackle playing the other position

He could play either.

Old Tiger
04-30-2012, 01:52 PM
He could play either.defensive end and defensive tackle?

As I said earlier he is not the big time 3-4 nose they need to take the defense to the next level. His best season(2008) were when the Cowboys had Chris Canty. Who is 6'7 317.

Bullaholic
04-30-2012, 02:36 PM
defensive end and defensive tackle?

As I said earlier he is not the big time 3-4 nose they need to take the defense to the next level. His best season(2008) were when the Cowboys had Chris Canty. Who is 6'7 317.

I think we are going in circles---YES---and well aware, again, that Ratliff is not nose-tackle size....

Roughneck93
04-30-2012, 04:38 PM
I gave the Cowboys a B.

Claiborne obviously a great pick. Gave up a 2nd round pick, but worth it if Claiborne performs as billed.

I'll be happy if Crawford, Coale, and Hanna all make an impact. Like the Hanna pick especially. Certainly fits the fast, athletic TE mold that is the trend in the league. Could end up being a weapon for Romo.

Eagle 1
04-30-2012, 07:42 PM
I'm saying overall a B-.
Like I said,.... with 5 of the 7 players the Cowboys selected being defensive players, we will see if this makes Romo a better player.

Txbroadcaster
04-30-2012, 09:14 PM
I'm saying overall a B-.
Like I said,.... with 5 of the 7 players the Cowboys selected being defensive players, we will see if this makes Romo a better player.

come on Eagle..come up with some new schtick

defense51
05-01-2012, 05:25 AM
I'm saying overall a B-.
Until the Cowboys can establish their running game consistently, Romo will not be a better QB. It doesn't make a difference if this is primarily a passing league now or not, if you don't have success running the ball then you generally don't have success passing either. It doesn't have to be 50/50, but I don't think the offense improves much without a ground game. Hopefully the defense will be improved enough to keep the Cowboys competitive.

Farmersfan
05-01-2012, 03:52 PM
I'm saying overall a B-.

There is no defense in the world that can fix what Tony Romo suffers from! Take away the Romo pick 6's and the Dallas Defense gave up 319 total points on the season. That is good enough for #9 in the NFL. Not great but it was better than the Saints, Patriots, Packers, Giants, Falcons, Chargers, Lions and Broncos who all made the playoffs. I showed a few months ago how this season's defense gave up almost the exact same amount of 4th quarter points as those "Great" defenses of the early 90's. I also showed the biggest difference in this year's Cowboys and those "GREAT" Cowboy teams was the points scored by the offense in the second half of every game. This is what I meant by how putting all their eggs in the defense basket might not turn out to be as big an improvement as some people tend to think. The defense got all the blame for the late game collaspes but the truth is the offense collaspsed more than the defense did late in those games............. That is a fact!

Txbroadcaster
05-01-2012, 04:40 PM
There is no defense in the world that can fix what Tony Romo suffers from! Take away the Romo pick 6's and the Dallas Defense gave up 319 total points on the season. That is good enough for #9 in the NFL. Not great but it was better than the Saints, Patriots, Packers, Giants, Falcons, Chargers, Lions and Broncos who all made the playoffs. I showed a few months ago how this season's defense gave up almost the exact same amount of 4th quarter points as those "Great" defenses of the early 90's. I also showed the biggest difference in this year's Cowboys and those "GREAT" Cowboy teams was the points scored by the offense in the second half of every game. This is what I meant by how putting all their eggs in the defense basket might not turn out to be as big an improvement as some people tend to think. The defense got all the blame for the late game collaspes but the truth is the offense collaspsed more than the defense did late in those games............. That is a fact!

link the 90's thing please

regaleagle
05-01-2012, 09:22 PM
With the defensive improvements the Cowboys have made this off-season, we can now see what kind of effect it will play on the team in the upcoming campaign. If the Cowboys make the playoffs and perform as a team much better on both sides of the ball, then I think we can assume Romo was NOT the big problem some on here have suggested. If the Cowboys don't take it to the playoff level, and Romo stayed healthy, then what? I'm thinking Romo's window for success with the Cowboys is getting very short. And I'm a Romo supporter.

Farmersfan
05-02-2012, 12:38 PM
With the defensive improvements the Cowboys have made this off-season, we can now see what kind of effect it will play on the team in the upcoming campaign. If the Cowboys make the playoffs and perform as a team much better on both sides of the ball, then I think we can assume Romo was NOT the big problem some on here have suggested. If the Cowboys don't take it to the playoff level, and Romo stayed healthy, then what? I'm thinking Romo's window for success with the Cowboys is getting very short. And I'm a Romo supporter.

The Dallas Cowboys had the #2 ranked defense in the entire NFL a couple of years ago and the Romo defenders still managed to blame the defense. If they struggle next season we all know who will get the blame regardless of the facts.....

Txbroadcaster
05-02-2012, 12:48 PM
The Dallas Cowboys had the #2 ranked defense in the entire NFL a couple of years ago and the Romo defenders still managed to blame the defense. If they struggle next season we all know who will get the blame regardless of the facts.....

they had the #2 D the year they won division and play off game..so lets see..09 and 11 Romo played great..what was the difference?..the D

Farmersfan
05-02-2012, 01:22 PM
they had the #2 D the year they won division and play off game..so lets see..09 and 11 Romo played great..what was the difference?..the D

You seriously have some double standards going on TXB. You have an offense that was average in 09' and average in 11' and a defense that was exceptional in 09' and average in 11' and you think the fault for the reduced level of success lies primarily with the defense... It appears to me that what you are really saying is that Tony Romo cannot win the divison or win a playoff game without a top rated defense. Well guess what, 7 of the playoff teams this past year had a defense that was worse than the Cowboy defense was! But only 2 teams made the playoffs with an offense that was worse than the Cowboys was! Don't respond! Just think about it.........................

Txbroadcaster
05-02-2012, 01:34 PM
You seriously have some double standards going on TXB. You have an offense that was average in 09' and average in 11' and a defense that was exceptional in 09' and average in 11' and you think the fault for the reduced level of success lies primarily with the defense... It appears to me that what you are really saying is that Tony Romo cannot win the divison or win a playoff game without a top rated defense. Well guess what, 7 of the playoff teams this past year had a defense that was worse than the Cowboy defense was! But only 2 teams made the playoffs with an offense that was worse than the Cowboys was! Don't respond! Just think about it.........................

Funny..if I throw out stats for Romo you claim it is all about wins..but then you try to defend the D with stats..which is it..stats or wins?

Farmersfan
05-02-2012, 02:25 PM
Funny..if I throw out stats for Romo you claim it is all about wins..but then you try to defend the D with stats..which is it..stats or wins?

Here are the facts! 2011 season for the Dallas Cowboys:

Offensive points scored = #15
Defensive Points allowed = #14 (deduct Romo's pick 6's and this number becomes #9)

Offensive yardage per game = #11
defensive yardage given up per game = #14

For someone to not place equal blame on the offense is a double standard. PERIOD!

Txbroadcaster
05-02-2012, 02:45 PM
Here are the facts! 2011 season for the Dallas Cowboys:

Offensive points scored = #15
Defensive Points allowed = #14 (deduct Romo's pick 6's and this number becomes #9)

Offensive yardage per game = #11
defensive yardage given up per game = #14

For someone to not place equal blame on the offense is a double standard. PERIOD!

D was 16th in points

they were also bottom half in Ints, FF, pass D and Pass TDs given up

and I never said the O was perfect..OL needs to be better and the run game needs to be better. But I am not going to say the passing game which was 7th in yards, 3rd in comp %5th in TDs and 7th in first downs is the problem or even one of the problems

Farmersfan
05-02-2012, 02:47 PM
Here is some interesting stats: Since 1990 the Dallas Cowboys have had 20 pick 6's thrown in the 2nd half of any game by their starting QB. They have won only 2 out of those 20 games. Romo had two (2) against the Lions in the second half and some of you are still blaming the defense for that loss. The facts are that a NFL team can rarely overcome a pick 6 in a game and even more rare if it is in the 2nd half of the game........... BTW: Romo has had 6 in his career and Dallas lost every single one of those games.

Txbroadcaster
05-02-2012, 03:01 PM
Here is some interesting stats: Since 1990 the Dallas Cowboys have had 20 pick 6's thrown in the 2nd half of any game by their starting QB. They have won only 2 out of those 20 games. Romo had two (2) against the Lions in the second half and some of you are still blaming the defense for that loss. The facts are that a NFL team can rarely overcome a pick 6 in a game and even more rare if it is in the 2nd half of the game........... BTW: Romo has had 6 in his career and Dallas lost every single one of those games.

and the Dallas D had some of the worst collapses in the history of the team this year...your point?..Romo threw only 9 ints in 16 games

buff4ever
05-02-2012, 03:05 PM
Doesn't matter how many ways you spin it, they will never see romo as the blame. The don't think that leadership from his position matters. They expect the defense to hold a team to less than 14 points even when romo throws a pick 6 and on and on and on. Romo is a super bowl caliber qb in their eyes that is surrounded with a bunch of non-professional athletes.

It is TXB's natural reaction to argue with you FF no matter what angle it is with the cowboys. You can make perfect sense, and he will spin it on you or defend with a statement that discredits another argument of his. This draft was an example. You pointed out that the draft analyst graded the cowboys a c while TXB was saying analyst thought it was a good draft. Now, come december all this talk about fixing the secondary will be forgotten if we are in the same boat and still not easily looking at a playoff run. It will be b/c of the defense, no matter how well these pick ups are playing, it will be the d line or the backers not playing up to their potential.

But you won't hear them say, "well, maybe it is ol romo."

buff4ever
05-02-2012, 03:07 PM
and the Dallas D had some of the worst collapses in the history of the team this year...your point?..Romo threw only 9 ints in 16 games

The timing of the 9 was worse than just throwing 12. Just kidding in a way, but how can you argue that in some cases.

Txbroadcaster
05-02-2012, 03:07 PM
Doesn't matter how many ways you spin it, they will never see romo as the blame. The don't think that leadership from his position matters. They expect the defense to hold a team to less than 14 points even when romo throws a pick 6 and on and on and on. Romo is a super bowl caliber qb in their eyes that is surrounded with a bunch of non-professional athletes.

It is TXB's natural reaction to argue with you FF no matter what angle it is with the cowboys. You can make perfect sense, and he will spin it on you or defend with a statement that discredits another argument of his. This draft was an example. You pointed out that the draft analyst graded the cowboys a c while TXB was saying analyst thought it was a good draft. Now, come december all this talk about fixing the secondary will be forgotten if we are in the same boat and still not easily looking at a playoff run. It will be b/c of the defense, no matter how well these pick ups are playing, it will be the d line or the backers not playing up to their potential.

But you won't hear them say, "well, maybe it is ol romo."

funny you say it is my reaction to argue with FF, but not the other way around LOL

and what you dont understand Buff...FF and are having fun and kiling time, we both love to debate and both laugh about the reactions

and on the draft..we did not argue..I gave a link that showed what the "experts" were saying, not really much to argue

buff4ever
05-02-2012, 03:16 PM
funny you say it is my reaction to argue with FF, but not the other way around LOL

and what you dont understand Buff...FF and are having fun and kiling time, we both love to debate and both laugh about the reactions

I do know that it is all in fun, agreed, but how can you make blanket wrong statements in an argument just to laugh. I think that is the difference between you and FF. He doesn't appear to flip flop on same topic to make a point, as much anyway. I truly believe that romo is not the man to lead this team to any promise land, I think that FF feels the same way. You obviously feel that he is CAPABLE, and are willing to wait until it never happens to accept that you are wrong. I would just assume accept that fact that he can't get it done when it matters for leadership or pressure or what ever reasons and move on. I wouldn't have taken tannehil, but that might have been the first time the cowboys had a chance to pick up a guy to bring up and teach the position. He was better off sticking with sherman, and we needed a db, but I am not as hopeful as you every year that ROMO can get this team where we want to go, and that is starting to get frustrating that we have given the team a overhaul once or twice and still sticking with this game plan for this many years.

Txbroadcaster
05-02-2012, 03:21 PM
I do know that it is all in fun, agreed, but how can you make blanket wrong statements in an argument just to laugh. I think that is the difference between you and FF. He doesn't appear to flip flop on same topic to make a point, as much anyway. I truly believe that romo is not the man to lead this team to any promise land, I think that FF feels the same way. You obviously feel that he is CAPABLE, and are willing to wait until it never happens to accept that you are wrong. I would just assume accept that fact that he can't get it done when it matters for leadership or pressure or what ever reasons and move on. I wouldn't have taken tannehil, but that might have been the first time the cowboys had a chance to pick up a guy to bring up and teach the position. He was better off sticking with sherman, and we needed a db, but I am not as hopeful as you every year that ROMO can get this team where we want to go, and that is starting to get frustrating that we have given the team a overhaul once or twice and still sticking with this game plan for this many years.

please show me how I have flip flopped..I have stuck to the same thing I have ever said..Romo is a good QB, he is a bottom part of the top 10..he can win, but cannot win on his own...show me where I have ever said anything different

And for all your talk about being a leader, you actually thought someone like Tannehill who lost almost every big game in college was the answer?

buff4ever
05-02-2012, 03:24 PM
please show me how I have flip flopped..I have stuck to the same thing I have ever said..Romo is a good QB, he is a bottom part of the top 10..he can win, but cannot win on his own...show me where I have ever said anything different

And for all your talk about being a leader, you actually thought someone like Tannehill who lost almost every big game in college was the answer?

I agree, and said I wouldn't draft tannehil, but he would be a little better emotional leader than romo. Maybe not much, he only had 2 years to do it, seemed to do better than romo has in 9.

Farmersfan
05-02-2012, 03:26 PM
D was 16th in points

they were also bottom half in Ints, FF, pass D and Pass TDs given up

These aren't "also" stats TXB! These stats are the reason for the #16 ranking and not in addition to it.. Very similar to claiming the offense was in the bottom 5 in the NFL in penalties and fumbles without realizing that without these fumbles and penalties they would likely be much higher ranked in overall offensive numbers.

Txbroadcaster
05-02-2012, 03:31 PM
These aren't "also" stats TXB! These stats are the reason for the #16 ranking and not in addition to it.. Very similar to claiming the offense was in the bottom 5 in the NFL in penalties and fumbles without realizing that without these fumbles and penalties they would likely be much higher ranked in overall offensive numbers.

My point is..The team is trying to correct one of the biggest phases in the game right now..the Pass D which was terrible last year

Txbroadcaster
05-02-2012, 03:35 PM
I agree, and said I wouldn't draft tannehil, but he would be a little better emotional leader than romo. Maybe not much, he only had 2 years to do it, seemed to do better than romo has in 9.

I guess I am asking..how do we know he would be a better emotional leader?

Farmersfan
05-02-2012, 03:39 PM

For every single defensive collapses you can name there is also an offensive collapse to go along with it. So what "collapses" are you talking about?

OldBison75
05-02-2012, 03:40 PM
Just for my 2 cents, the Cowboys had a solid draft for the first time in I don't know how long. I would love to say they addressed every need, but there are not enough rounds to do that with this team. The defense should be much better next year. Offensively, I think there are some interesting possibilities in the passing game to come, but we are judging potential and not results at this point. I guess I could say that they did not make any glaring mistakes.

As for the offense vs defense/ROMO argument: Romo is adequate, not top of the heap and not nearly as bad a many. The overall offense leaves a lot to be desired. The o-line needs upgrading, running game sucks, no two receivers can have a good day at the same time, and yes, Romo tries to do too much and sometimes the results cause disaster. I think that the Cowboys can win big with Romo, but not just because of him. He is not the type QB that can literally take control of a game like the Staubachs, Farves of old, Mannings, and such. He is capable though.

If I had to guess, I would place the Cowboys overall team as a top 7 team next year. Not SuperBowl bound by far, but capable of winning 11 games and making two deep in the playoffs--if everybody stays pretty healthy.

Bold prediction, but I believe that the draft and signings will make that much difference. Up until now, there has been plenty of reason to blame offense, defense, individuals, coaches, and especially JJ.

Farmersfan
05-02-2012, 03:49 PM
My point is..The team is trying to correct one of the biggest phases in the game right now..the Pass D which was terrible last year

I think we agree on this one. """"ONE"""" of the biggest phases in the game right now! But not the only ONE. And the pass D was terrible last year. But so was the running game and many other aspects of the offensive side of the ball. I don't disagree that we need to improve the defense. Where the disagreement starts is when you act like we don't also need to improve certain parts of the offense just as much. that was the reason I said drafting all defensive players with the first 5 picks might not be the smartest thing they could do and it certainly might not fix what is wrong with this team. Remember that this offense played with the #2 ranked defense and didn't really give us the result it should have. Redundant statement I know but it merits repeating 1000 times.

Farmersfan
05-02-2012, 03:58 PM
Just for my 2 cents, the Cowboys had a solid draft for the first time in I don't know how long. I would love to say they addressed every need, but there are not enough rounds to do that with this team. The defense should be much better next year. Offensively, I think there are some interesting possibilities in the passing game to come, but we are judging potential and not results at this point. I guess I could say that they did not make any glaring mistakes.

As for the offense vs defense/ROMO argument: Romo is adequate, not top of the heap and not nearly as bad a many. The overall offense leaves a lot to be desired. The o-line needs upgrading, running game sucks, no two receivers can have a good day at the same time, and yes, Romo tries to do too much and sometimes the results cause disaster. I think that the Cowboys can win big with Romo, but not just because of him. He is not the type QB that can literally take control of a game like the Staubachs, Farves of old, Mannings, and such. He is capable though.

If I had to guess, I would place the Cowboys overall team as a top 7 team next year. Not SuperBowl bound by far, but capable of winning 11 games and making two deep in the playoffs--if everybody stays pretty healthy.

Bold prediction, but I believe that the draft and signings will make that much difference. Up until now, there has been plenty of reason to blame offense, defense, individuals, coaches, and especially JJ.

Great post! But understand that I believe the 2011 Dallas Cowboys were capable of winning 11 games. (and probably should have). Fixing only part of the reason they didn't won't help matters in the least.......... The biggest reason they didn't is between the ears of key individuals in my humble opinion. Can they add enough talent to eventually overcome this lacking? I'm sure they could! But it seems easier to me to fix the "between the ears" first........... We shall see!

Txbroadcaster
05-02-2012, 04:09 PM
I think we agree on this one. """"ONE"""" of the biggest phases in the game right now! But not the only ONE. And the pass D was terrible last year. But so was the running game and many other aspects of the offensive side of the ball. I don't disagree that we need to improve the defense. Where the disagreement starts is when you act like we don't also need to improve certain parts of the offense just as much. that was the reason I said drafting all defensive players with the first 5 picks might not be the smartest thing they could do and it certainly might not fix what is wrong with this team. Remember that this offense played with the #2 ranked defense and didn't really give us the result it should have. Redundant statement I know but it merits repeating 1000 times.

I already said the running game and OL needs to be fixed so again I am saying the offense is not perfect.

What result should it have given? the team won 11 games a division and a play off game. anything after that is anyones guess

OldBison75
05-02-2012, 04:52 PM
FF,
I am not arguing that there is room for improvement at the QB position, but, I thinks the skills are there and like you sometimes worry about the "between the ears" aspect. However, I also am willing to admit that some of those issues may have to do with the system he is playing in with the type personnel he has available. Maybe, big maybe, a better running game and better blocking will make him have time to make better decisions. Maybe, he can get more consistent dependability in receivers that will play the whole game solid and not drop passes and actually run pass patterns. And, maybe, Romo could be the star that Dallas is looking for when all the tools fit the mold that Jason Garrett believes he needs to be a winning coach.

I still have alot of problems with some of the play calling and certainly don't think the play calling is what is the total downfall of ROMO. Dallas has the luxury of playing in a division that they should dominate every year-but they beat themselves more than any other team, both on offense and defense. Yes, overall the defense was not that bad except in the secondary, but how many times did they give up the winning points after a fourth quarter lead or tie. It just seems that when the game was on the line, the defense could not stop anybody and the offense could not make a first down. Plenty of balme to go around.

Farmersfan
05-03-2012, 03:28 PM
FF,
I am not arguing that there is room for improvement at the QB position, but, I thinks the skills are there and like you sometimes worry about the "between the ears" aspect. However, I also am willing to admit that some of those issues may have to do with the system he is playing in with the type personnel he has available. Maybe, big maybe, a better running game and better blocking will make him have time to make better decisions. Maybe, he can get more consistent dependability in receivers that will play the whole game solid and not drop passes and actually run pass patterns. And, maybe, Romo could be the star that Dallas is looking for when all the tools fit the mold that Jason Garrett believes he needs to be a winning coach.

I still have alot of problems with some of the play calling and certainly don't think the play calling is what is the total downfall of ROMO. Dallas has the luxury of playing in a division that they should dominate every year-but they beat themselves more than any other team, both on offense and defense. Yes, overall the defense was not that bad except in the secondary, but how many times did they give up the winning points after a fourth quarter lead or tie. It just seems that when the game was on the line, the defense could not stop anybody and the offense could not make a first down. Plenty of balme to go around.

I think we all agree with all of these comments OldBison75. But the ridiculousness of the Cowboy's continuing to bang their heads against the same wall year after year is mind boggleing to me...... If a Nascar team built one of the fastest cars on the track and yet race after race after race it fails to win there comes a point when they must change the driver. What the Cowboy's keep doing is akin to that nascar team continuing to blame the tires, the pit crew, the sponser or the color of the car. The facts are there is really only one place that underachievement can be placed. LEADERSHIP! That isn't all on Romo's shoulders but certainly a significant amount of it is! I sure hope he proves wrong because it is getting really, really old being so right about him every single season. Dirk proved me wrong last year after proving me 100% correct for about 10 straight years. But then again Romo doesn't have Dirk's pedigree..................

Farmersfan
05-03-2012, 03:34 PM
I will be heading out for a 3 day weekend at a fishing cabin on Lake Cypress Springs in a couple of minutes. Everybody have a safe and fulfilling weekend and I will answer any insults or indignations on Monday!!!!

Txbroadcaster
05-03-2012, 04:43 PM
I think we all agree with all of these comments OldBison75. But the ridiculousness of the Cowboy's continuing to bang their heads against the same wall year after year is mind boggleing to me...... If a Nascar team built one of the fastest cars on the track and yet race after race after race it fails to win there comes a point when they must change the driver. What the Cowboy's keep doing is akin to that nascar team continuing to blame the tires, the pit crew, the sponser or the color of the car. The facts are there is really only one place that underachievement can be placed. LEADERSHIP! That isn't all on Romo's shoulders but certainly a significant amount of it is! I sure hope he proves wrong because it is getting really, really old being so right about him every single season. Dirk proved me wrong last year after proving me 100% correct for about 10 straight years. But then again Romo doesn't have Dirk's pedigree..................

you would not fire the driver if it is one of the crew pit guys making the mistakes costing the team.

And Dirk did not prove you right for 10 years, it just showed the team around him was not ready until last year

yellaseeker
05-05-2012, 11:14 AM
edited.......lhpm

Eagle 1
05-05-2012, 11:58 AM
come on Eagle..come up with some new schtick

Just quoting you.