PDA

View Full Version : Stephen F Austin

Tejastrue
04-28-2012, 12:33 PM
Looking at colleges for my kid. Visited this school yesterday. First impressions were very good. Anyone have any first hand knowledge and can share..good or bad? I have a sister-in-law that attended but that was 20 years ago. No trolling please...:tisk:

Tejastrue
04-28-2012, 09:32 PM
Da-bump...

Emerson1
04-29-2012, 05:03 PM
Put it in the main forum no one looks at this thing.

Old Tiger
04-29-2012, 07:08 PM
If you like hills and such Texas State campus is a nice cool environment being next to the river.

Tejastrue
04-29-2012, 07:22 PM
If you like hills and such Texas State campus is a nice cool environment being next to the river.

This one is still a possibility and less than 20 minutes from our home. Appreciate the input.

Manso/V8
04-29-2012, 09:14 PM
SF Austin is deep east Texas, real pretty country up that way, but a long way from the hill country......and I am not talking about the distance. That part of state is more like the deep south than Texas in my experience. I don't know much about the school, but the local culture is something that would keep me from living there. Just think about how annoying the East Texas poster are.....and assuming your daughter has all her teeth, she might not fit in!

Tejastrue
04-29-2012, 09:51 PM
SF Austin is deep east Texas, real pretty country up that way, but a long way from the hill country......and I am not talking about the distance. That part of state is more like the deep south than Texas in my experience. I don't know much about the school, but the local culture is something that would keep me from living there. Just think about how annoying the East Texas poster are.....and assuming your daughter has all her teeth, she might not fit in!

This book is for you..

.http://ts3.mm.bing.net/images/thumbnail.aspx?q=4869965159530994&id=a5be3e6335cb265d0c638c50cceeb768

Manso/V8
04-29-2012, 10:53 PM
This book is for you..

.http://ts3.mm.bing.net/images/thumbnail.aspx?q=4869965159530994&id=a5be3e6335cb265d0c638c50cceeb768

Thanks for the offer to lend me the book, but I don't need it.

I wasn't trolling, I am just telling you about the realities of the East Texas Piney Woods. Go wander around a grocery store or Wal-Mart up there, it ain't Hays County.

Tejastrue
04-29-2012, 11:05 PM
Thanks for the offer to lend me the book, but I don't need it.

I wasn't trolling, I am just telling you about the realities of the East Texas Piney Woods. Go wander around a grocery store or Wal-Mart up there, it ain't Hays County.

Manso...I never said we were looking for a Hays County atmosphere...I was really impressed by the people I spoke to there on campus. I hate the Wal-Mart here in Hays County (San Marcos)...Fredericksburg has the best Wal-Mart within a 60 mile radius...this is a serious subject for me and it appears I should not have posted this topic to begin with...

Manso/V8
04-29-2012, 11:51 PM
Manso...I never said we were looking for a Hays County atmosphere...I was really impressed by the people I spoke to there on campus. I hate the Wal-Mart here in Hays County (San Marcos)...Fredericksburg has the best Wal-Mart within a 60 mile radius...this is a serious subject for me and it appears I should not have posted this topic to begin with...

I understand it is a serious subject. Life events and work have taken me to that part of Texas on several occasions. It seems real nice but when you get down to the nitty gritty of the culture, I am glad I didn't raise my family there or my kids did not go to college up there. I don't know much specifically about Nacogdoches or the SFA college and campus, it may be a wonderful school. I am just giving my honest opinion of the region. If your daughter is a hard core Baptist, she may enjoy it. I didn't intend to offend. I won't say another word.

Tejastrue
04-30-2012, 12:02 AM
I understand it is a serious subject. Life events and work have taken me to that part of Texas on several occasions. It seems real nice but when you get down to the nitty gritty of the culture, I am glad I didn't raise my family there or my kids did not go to college up there. I don't know much specifically about Nacogdoches or the SFA college and campus, it may be a wonderful school. I am just giving my honest opinion of the region. If your daughter is a hard core Baptist, she may enjoy it. I didn't intend to offend. I won't say another word.

Please..by all means... define "hard core baptist"..because that is the image I have of you...

Manso/V8
04-30-2012, 12:19 AM
because that is the image I have of you...

Not even close, you have got to be joking. Obviously I have (unintentionally) touched a nerve, so I am dropping this hot potato. Let me leave you with this though....................I hope your daughter finds the right college for her and she has a wonderful experience. Those 4-5 years help shape their lives, and I am sure with the fine guidance she has received growing up and continued support from her parents, she will flourish at whatever school she chooses to attend.

Txbroadcaster
04-30-2012, 12:22 AM
Wow according to someone on this thread I must not have any of my teef and I am down right backards and baptist

SFA is a good school..but know it also has a rep as a party school( of course most do now)..but the old joke has been SFA stands for Stay F'd up All day

the Nac bars are very much about looking the other way to get the money in the doors.

The people are nice, yes bad seeds are there, but what town, region, state is pure gold

What is she looking major in?

Old Tiger
04-30-2012, 09:01 AM
Wow according to someone on this thread I must not have any of my teef and I am down right backards and baptist

Well they are partially right. lol jk

Tejastrue
04-30-2012, 10:54 AM

SFA is a good school..but know it also has a rep as a party school( of course most do now)..but the old joke has been SFA stands for Stay F'd up All day

the Nac bars are very much about looking the other way to get the money in the doors.

The people are nice, yes bad seeds are there, but what town, region, state is pure gold

What is she looking major in?

Thanks for the reply Txb. Well..that's part of the problem. We have a big undecided. I've heard about the party school thing. I agree with you that most colleges carry that label. I was a little slow interpreting but I believe Manso was indirectly saying that the Nac. area was predominantly black and in high contrast to where I live now. Lol.. I did not see that in the general area, especially on campus. There was diversity yes..a typical college atmosphere. One of the things they pitched to us and we really liked was the student ratio per class being low. Did you find that to be the case?

Txbroadcaster
04-30-2012, 11:25 AM
Thanks for the reply Txb. Well..that's part of the problem. We have a big undecided. I've heard about the party school thing. I agree with you that most colleges carry that label. I was a little slow interpreting but I believe Manso was indirectly saying that the Nac. area was predominantly black and in high contrast to where I live now. Lol.. I did not see that in the general area, especially on campus. There was diversity yes..a typical college atmosphere. One of the things they pitched to us and we really liked was the student ratio per class being low. Did you find that tobe the case?

I did not go to SFA, but I had alot of friends who did and then I ended up living in Nac area for about a year.

I went to A&M-Commerce and loved it

Tejastrue
04-30-2012, 01:07 PM
I did not go to SFA, but I had alot of friends who did and then I ended up living in Nac area for about a year.

I went to A&M-Commerce and loved it

All extracurricular activity excluded.. can you say that your friends were happy with the education they received at SFA?

Old Tiger
04-30-2012, 01:30 PM
I heard the A&M-Corpus Christi campus is amazing.

Tejastrue
04-30-2012, 02:10 PM
I heard the A&M-Corpus Christi campus is amazing.

Just checked their website. Impressive. Thanks.

Txbroadcaster
04-30-2012, 05:02 PM
All extracurricular activity excluded.. can you say that your friends were happy with the education they received at SFA?

yep

but as anyone will tell you..find the college that fits the major.

Gone Fishing
04-30-2012, 09:16 PM
I went to Sam 78-80. Very small back then but so was SFA and SWT (TSU) good area, all good schools IMO. A&M CC is cool too. Check out Tarleton State if your price checking, best bang for your buck in my opinion. Damn I hate Stephenville ...LOL

Tejastrue
04-30-2012, 11:21 PM
I went to Sam 78-80. Very small back then but so was SFA and SWT (TSU) good area, all good schools IMO. A&M CC is cool too. Check out Tarleton State if your price checking, best bang for your buck in my opinion. Damn I hate Stephenville ...LOL

Thank you sir. We've already scheduled tours for A&M CC and TSU. TSU would be MY first choice..with good reason. LOL on the Stephenville comment. Will have to give Tarelton St a look.

Emerson1
05-01-2012, 12:56 AM
TSU = Tarleton State University.

They will also get to experience LJT every year.

What is she majoring in and does she have a Facebook? :D

Tejastrue
05-01-2012, 10:21 AM
TSU = Tarleton State University.

They will also get to experience LJT every year.

What is she majoring in and does she have a Facebook? :D

Down here TSU = Texas State University which is basically in our backyard. Majoring in criminal justice. :tisk:

mwynn05
05-11-2012, 08:40 PM
Sam Houston has the best CJ program in the state... Check out UNT, close to the metroplex, its not cheap though

Tejastrue
05-11-2012, 10:03 PM
Sam Houston has the best CJ program in the state... Check out UNT, close to the metroplex, its not cheap though

Thanks mwynn05. We have several family members that graduated from UNT and another attending at the present so there is some friendly influence/pressure there. Will look at SH.

eagles_victory
05-12-2012, 10:32 AM
I went to SFA and know some guys who went to SHSU and majored in CJ. I would definitely look for SHSU for a CJ degree. The culture in Nacogdoches is definitely different then what she is probably use to. I went there for 5 years and graduated last May and I liked it, but I will say this there is a very HIGH rate of kids who go one semester or go one year and just don't like it and go back. All schools have a party reputation but since there is so little to do it is a big thing there. (Pretty big deal at Sam as well). If you are in an area where you are use to being around a bigger city (SA, Houston, Austin,Dallas) a lot of those kids who go to SFA struggle with the fact of how little there is to do and what is around the city of Nac. As I said, if everything is equal give Sam a much more noteworthy CJ school a look as well. SFA is more about education and forestry

rockdale80
05-15-2012, 09:28 AM
I went to SFA and know some guys who went to SHSU and majored in CJ. I would definitely look for SHSU for a CJ degree. The culture in Nacogdoches is definitely different then what she is probably use to. I went there for 5 years and graduated last May and I liked it, but I will say this there is a very HIGH rate of kids who go one semester or go one year and just don't like it and go back. All schools have a party reputation but since there is so little to do it is a big thing there. (Pretty big deal at Sam as well). If you are in an area where you are use to being around a bigger city (SA, Houston, Austin,Dallas) a lot of those kids who go to SFA struggle with the fact of how little there is to do and what is around the city of Nac. As I said, if everything is equal give Sam a much more noteworthy CJ school a look as well. SFA is more about education and forestry

Or nursing.

I have nothing but good things to say about SFA. Low crime rate, good professors, and a good education for the money. Its only a party college if you make it one. There is somewhere to drink everynight if someone wanted to take that route, but what college doesnt have this option?