PDA

View Full Version : Jim Brown made a great point

Old Tiger
04-27-2012, 01:52 PM
When comparing athletes from the 60s and 70s to athletes today he said the biggest difference was education. Most athletes now days don't graduate like they did back in the day. He went on to say that it society and money that is changing that which is true.

Farmersfan
04-27-2012, 03:14 PM
When comparing athletes from the 60s and 70s to athletes today he said the biggest difference was education. Most athletes now days don't graduate like they did back in the day. He went on to say that it society and money that is changing that which is true.

Perhaps the athletes in the 60's and 70's graduated at a higher rate but I can assure you they weren't better educated. The vast majority of horror stories about college grads who couldn't read or write came from those awesome days of free love! People like to make all incompassing claims about how bad things have gotten these days but I'm thinking they have always been bad but we just hear about it more today because of mass media...............

ronwx5x
04-29-2012, 07:41 AM
Perhaps the athletes in the 60's and 70's graduated at a higher rate but I can assure you they weren't better educated. The vast majority of horror stories about college grads who couldn't read or write came from those awesome days of free love! People like to make all incompassing claims about how bad things have gotten these days but I'm thinking they have always been bad but we just hear about it more today because of mass media...............

Or is it because athletics have become so important that many college athletes today are not really college material. Look at some of the test scores by athletes who are in the draft.

Rabid Cougar
04-29-2012, 08:26 AM
His comments are revisionist history. The athletes of the 60's and 70's were not any different than todays athletes. They were the biggest and baddest. Education was seconday to their presence on campus just as today.