PDA

View Full Version : 2012 NFL Draft

Old Tiger
04-26-2012, 07:31 PM
Nothing to exciting happening yet.

Old Tiger
04-26-2012, 07:35 PM
Just as I post this Cowboys trade up to the 6th overall pick!

Old Tiger
04-26-2012, 07:38 PM
Cowboys select Morris Claiborne

Literally Cowboys best draft pick in the last 5 years.

Roughneck93
04-26-2012, 07:39 PM
Cowboys select Morris ClaiborneLiterally Cowboys best draft pick in the last 5 years.Awesome!

bobcat1
04-26-2012, 07:45 PM
http://img24.imageshack.us/img24/5676/lolrun.gif

Old Tiger
04-26-2012, 07:50 PM
Ryan Tannehill goes #8 overall. IMO ESPN hyped him too much and he'll be a major bust.

regaleagle
04-26-2012, 07:51 PM
yippie!!!

Old Tiger
04-26-2012, 07:55 PM
Who the hell is this guy that just got picked?

Saggy Aggie
04-26-2012, 08:01 PM
Ryan Tannehill goes #8 overall. IMO ESPN hyped him too much and he'll be a major bust. of course you would think that

Old Tiger
04-26-2012, 08:10 PM
of course you would think thatWhat in his career as a QB has showed you that he deserves to be a top 10 NFL draft selection

FB-fanatic
04-26-2012, 08:29 PM
What in his career as a QB has showed you that he deserves to be a top 10 NFL draft selection

Only beat Nebraska, Oklahoma, and Texas in the same year.

1st and goal
04-26-2012, 08:33 PM
I'm glad Tannehill went to Miami with Coach Sherman and the O-line coach too I think.

Old Tiger, time will tell what he does in the pros but obviously he's a heck of an athlete.

Now I hope Dallas gets some linemen....

Saggy Aggie
04-26-2012, 08:35 PM
What in his career as a QB has showed you that he deserves to be a top 10 NFL draft selection quite a bit actually.

Not to mention his upside

coach
04-26-2012, 08:42 PM
What in his career as a QB has showed you that he deserves to be a top 10 NFL draft selection

I bet he has a better career than colt

Roughneck93
04-26-2012, 08:48 PM
There was no way the Dolphins were passing up on Tannehill after missing out on Manning, Flynn, and Alex Smith.

Roughneck93
04-26-2012, 09:14 PM
Weeden to Cleveland...I like that pick.

Blastoderm55
04-26-2012, 09:19 PM
Jeez, who let New England end up with three first round picks??!! Ridiculous.

Roughneck93
04-26-2012, 09:22 PM
Texans up next...

What do y'all think?

Blastoderm55
04-26-2012, 09:23 PM
Texans up next...

What do y'all think?

I was hoping DeCastro would fall to them. Damn Steelers. Gonna be an OLB.

Old Tiger
04-26-2012, 09:23 PM
Patriots have had impressive draft so far. Addressed big time needs seeing as they've had trouble getting after the passer.

Old Tiger
04-26-2012, 09:32 PM
Networks are forcing this to be dragged out. Should have been done at 9 but they'll force it to 10 - 10:15

regaleagle
04-27-2012, 07:29 AM
Looks like McCoy will have his work cut out for him to remain the starter at Cleveland with Wheedon coming in at age 28. You know they think he can start immediately, or they wouldn't have burned the high pick on him. Colt and Wheedon may alternate for a time this season, til one of them either takes control or one of them has an injury. Either way, Cleveland needed another quality qb, and I believe they got one in Wheedon. He has the size, the tools, and the credentials.

Farmersfan
04-27-2012, 07:56 AM
Cowboys select Morris Claiborne

Literally Cowboys best draft pick in the last 5 years.

I hope you are right! Dallas gets a bad rap for their drafting but in the 1st round the Cowboys have not been too bad. It's the later rounds where they fail to find talent so often. Here are the Dallas 1st round picks for the last 20 years. Do you believe Claiborne will be better than all these?

Tyron Smith
Dez Bryant
Felix Jones
Mike Jenkins
Anthony Spencer
Bobby Carpenter
Demarcus Ware
marcus Spears
T. Newman
Roy Williams
Ebenezer Ekuban
Greg Ellis
David LaFleur
Shante Carver

Only David Lafleur failed to have along career in the NFL and that was injury related and not so much talent related. Most of these played a long time for the Cowboys and the one's who didn't played (or are still playing) for other teams.

I found this interesting. Dallas isn't even on the list of the worst 1st round picks in NFL history. Arizona and Philly are on the list 3 times...... :D Maybe our Cowboys aren't as bad as we thought!

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=cr-worstfirstroundpicks042407

MGAR
04-27-2012, 09:04 AM
Looks like McCoy will have his work cut out for him to remain the starter at Cleveland with Wheedon coming in at age 28. You know they think he can start immediately, or they wouldn't have burned the high pick on him. Colt and Wheedon may alternate for a time this season, til one of them either takes control or one of them has an injury. Either way, Cleveland needed another quality qb, and I believe they got one in Wheedon. He has the size, the tools, and the credentials.

I think Weeden will be the starter for the Browns...

Saw this on twitter, thought it was interesting.

<<<<Cowboys fans, would you give up a seventh round pick for Colt McCoy? Sits behind Romo/Orton and develops. More upside than McGee.>>>>

Bullaholic
04-27-2012, 09:26 AM
I hope you are right! Dallas gets a bad rap for their drafting but in the 1st round the Cowboys have not been too bad. It's the later rounds where they fail to find talent so often. Here are the Dallas 1st round picks for the last 20 years. Do you believe Claiborne will be better than all these?

Tyron Smith
Dez Bryant
Felix Jones
Mike Jenkins
Anthony Spencer
Bobby Carpenter
Demarcus Ware
marcus Spears
T. Newman
Roy Williams
Ebenezer Ekuban
Greg Ellis
David LaFleur
Shante Carver

Only David Lafleur failed to have along career in the NFL and that was injury related and not so much talent related. Most of these played a long time for the Cowboys and the one's who didn't played (or are still playing) for other teams.

I found this interesting. Dallas isn't even on the list of the worst 1st round picks in NFL history. Arizona and Philly are on the list 3 times...... :D Maybe our Cowboys aren't as bad as we thought!

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=cr-worstfirstroundpicks042407

Not that many busts, but you have only (1) "household name" (Ware), and (2) wait-to-see (Smith and Bryant) players on that list.

Roughneck93
04-27-2012, 10:06 AM

Yeah looks like Weeden will be the starter right away. Reports are out there that Colt will be traded.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/04/27/report-browns-talking-colt-mccoy-trade-with-packers/

Old Tiger
04-27-2012, 11:44 AM
2011 - Tyrone Smith, could be good bu too soon to tell
2010 - Dez Bryant, hasn't lived up to the hype and has off the field issue
2009 - N/A, it is never good when you don't make a first round selection
2008 - Felix Jones, injury prone
2007 - Anthony Spencer, pretty much a role player. Playing opposite of Ware you would expect more production.

Txbroadcaster
04-27-2012, 12:16 PM
2011 - Tyrone Smith, could be good bu too soon to tell
2010 - Dez Bryant, hasn't lived up to the hype and has off the field issue
2009 - N/A, it is never good when you don't make a first round selection
2008 - Felix Jones, injury prone
2007 - Anthony Spencer, pretty much a role player. Playing opposite of Ware you would expect more production.

Bryant had 928 yards and 9 tds in 14 and half games last year...pretty damn good

Farmersfan
04-27-2012, 03:45 PM
Not that many busts, but you have only (1) "household name" (Ware), and (2) wait-to-see (Smith and Bryant) players on that list.

I think if you compared this list to the list of 1st round picks for pretty much any team you will find this one not so bad. All these picks were good players and if healthy played a full career in the NFL. And yes even Bobby Carpenter is still playing in the NFL. You can argue that many weren't 1st round talent but hindsight is amazing that way. Someone should work up a comparison to other franchises in the NFL so we can see.................... Good night all!

Maroon87
04-27-2012, 05:02 PM
Only beat Nebraska, Oklahoma, and Texas in the same year.

Handing off to Cyrus Gray must've been exhausting.

Maroon87
04-27-2012, 05:04 PM
Saw this on twitter, thought it was interesting.

<<<<Cowboys fans, would you give up a seventh round pick for Colt McCoy? Sits behind Romo/Orton and develops. More upside than McGee.>>>>

Broncos should trade for him and let him back up/learn from Peyton. Maybe the Browns will even take Brady Quinn back...:crazy1:

Eagle 1
04-29-2012, 11:17 AM
So, with 5 of the 7 players the Cowboys selected being defensive players, we will see if this makes Romo a better player. :stirpot:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.dallascowboys.com/news/news.cfm?id=FBD45DFE-F056-4BE3-328C3A81E29D0581

IRVING, Texas – In 2011, after 30 years of not drafting an offensive lineman in the first round of the draft, the Cowboys bucked their own trend by selecting Tyron Smith. Likewise, three decades of history didn't hold up in 2012.

For the first time since 1982, the Cowboys led off their selections with four straight defensive players. LSU cornerback Morris Claiborne was the big splash on Thursday, the team trading up eight spots and surrendering a second-round pick to land the draft's top defensive player.

Though the Cowboys' selections on Friday and Saturday came with far less sizzle, the team did manage to fill needs at every level of the defense. The cornerback upgrade in Round 1 was followed by consecutive additions at defensive end, outside linebacker and safety.

The Cowboys say they didn't intentionally target defensive players early, but they make no apologies for adding talent to that side of the ball, either. The defense was middle-of-the-road statistically in 2011, but had a particularly disappointing finish to the season.

"We didn't feel like we had a gun to our head saying we've got to take this position," head coach Jason Garrett said. "We were pretty true staying to our board. We had mock drafts this week where we took all of these offensive players. ... It just fell the way that it did."

Boise State defensive end Tyrone Crawford was the team's lone pick on Day 2, at selection No. 81 overall. The Cowboys the led off Saturday's five picks by snagging Wake Forest outside linebacker Kyle Wilber (No. 113) and Eastern Washington safety Matt Johnson (No. 135) in the fourth round.

The last time the Cowboys went defense-heavy to start a draft was in 2005, when outside linebacker DeMarcus Ware, defensive end Marcus Spears and inside linebacker Kevin Burnett were chosen in the first two rounds.

The Cowboys' broke their string of defensive picks later on Saturday, adding Virginia Tech wide receiver Danny Coale in the fifth round, at pick No. 152 overall, and Oklahoma tight end James Hanna in the sixth, with pick No. 186.

The club actually selected five straight defensive players to start the 1982 draft, beginning with cornerback Rod Hill in the first round. In no other year had the Cowboys selected as many as four straight defenders off the top of the class.

A fifth defensive player, Montana inside linebacker Caleb McSurdy, was the Cowboys' seventh-round pick, No. 222 overall. The 2012 Defensive Player of the Year in the Big Sky Conference, he'll attempt to win a roster spot behind Sean Lee, Dan Connor and Bruce Carter.

While Claiborne can be expected to claim a starting job as early as training camp, the Cowboys' other draft picks will try to fill depth roles, at least for now.

"I think overall the afternoon went really well," team vice president Stephen Jones said. "As you can see, we didn't do a lot of moving around. We kind of went with our picks, and I think the biggest reason was when we got ready to pick, there was a player there we really liked and really fit with what we were trying to get accomplished for our team."

In free agency, the Cowboys added several players who will fill starting roles, most notably cornerback Brandon Carr, who received a five-year, $50 million contract. Between their efforts in free agency and the weekend's draft, the Cowboys believe they are much improved.

Owner and general manager Jerry Jones said at the NFL Scouting Combine in February that he thought his team had enough talent to sneak into the playoffs and contend for a Super Bowl, like the 2011 Giants.

"I thought we could win nine games with this team," Jones said. "And if we could win nine, then we could get in there and maybe have the same run that the Giants did. That's where I thought we were then. I think we're better. We're better. And certainly we're better with what we've done in free agency, but just all the way around.

"It wouldn't surprise me to see, again, 30 percent new faces on this roster, with what we've done."