PDA

View Full Version : Sweetwater Mustangs

mustang84
04-25-2012, 04:15 PM
Well looks like coach Mobley is getting his coaching staff assembled. New DC is John Ward (head coach from Moody) and new OC is Zach Harrell ( OC from Van). I can't wait to see what they can do here.

BEAST
04-25-2012, 04:27 PM
Well looks like coach Mobley is getting his coaching staff assembled. New DC is John Ward (head coach from Moody) and new OC is Zach Harrell ( OC from Van). I can't wait to see what they can do here.

Very cool. Zach Harrell is Sam Harrells son. He know a lot about offense. The DC John Ward, is that the same Coach Ward that was a coach at Brownwood for a while?

BEAST

sweetwater07
04-26-2012, 08:28 PM

NICE, coach Mob is one hell of a coach.

Bullaholic
04-26-2012, 08:35 PM
I like it--Mustangs looking good--hope kids respond in numbers and enthusiasm.

sweetwater07
04-26-2012, 09:01 PM
I like it--Mustangs looking good--hope kids respond in numbers and enthusiasm.

they should, coach Mob was a loved coach when i was in high school and he was DC running the nickel

icu812
04-30-2012, 03:21 PM
I'm not sure what offense they will be running but Van's offense was pretty dang good last year (having a QB that can really throw helps though lol). Harrell should do a good job and he's good with the receivers.

Phantom Stang
05-01-2012, 11:35 AM
The DC John Ward, is that the same Coach Ward that was a coach at Brownwood for a while? BEAST
Yes, he coached under Steve Freeman at Brownwood for nine years according to what I've read.

bigwood33
05-01-2012, 11:41 AM
John is a really good guy and outstanding coach. He will do a very nice job for the 'Stangs!

Sweetwater Red
05-01-2012, 12:04 PM
"Can't wait!!!" - Bart Scott

Bullaholic
05-01-2012, 12:17 PM
I think the Mustangs are going to surprise some folks---just on the basis of the changes in coaching and systems I'm seeing here. I'll bet nobody beats them by a bunch next season. The Bulls went from 0-10 in 92' to 13-2 in 93' with Henson and his staff---I see the same thing starting to happen for the Mustangs.

stang92
05-02-2012, 06:22 AM
West Texas football is always better when Sweetwater is competetive but I always wander what's going on when coaches start bailing out. Llano's a lateral move at best football wise-if you don't have any talent it doesn't matter if Lombardi's the coach.

defense51
05-02-2012, 07:06 AM
What does Sweetwater have returning this year?

Phantom Stang
05-08-2012, 09:41 PM
New coordinators join Mustang staff
May 5, 2012

By
Ron Howell

Zach Harrell and John Ward are the new football offensive and defensive coordinators, respectively, at Sweetwater High School under Shane Mobley, who was hired in April to serve as Sweetwater’s head football coach and athletic director.

If Harrell’s last name is familiar, it should be. His father, Sam Harrell, won three state titles as Ennis’ head coach between 2000-04. He played for Gordon Wood at Brownwood and has recently returned there to be Bob Shipley’s quarterback coach. Zach Harrell’s brother, Graham Harrell, played quarterback for his father at Ennis and set several state passing records before going to Texas Tech University, where under head coach Mike Leach he became the first quarterback in NCAA history to post multiple 5,000-yard passing seasons. Among his collegiate honors was receiving the 2008 Johnny Unitas Golden Arm Award. He now plays for the Green Bay Packers. Zach’s grand-father served as an assistant to Gordon Wood in Brownwood, and brother Clark played quarterback at both Tulsa and Abilene Christian University. So football has been a big part of the Harrell family for a very long time.

Zach also played for his father at Ennis in high school, and was an all-district receiver for the 2000 team that won the school’s first state title. While in college, he often returned to Ennis on weekends and spent lots of time with the coaching staff, helping to confirm his decision to become a coach.

For the last two years, he was at Class 3A Van whose spread attack had over 3,100 passing yards and averaged 43 points a game, making it one of the most prolific high school offenses in the state. He also coached at Prosper, Denton Ryan and Alvarado, and all those teams made the playoffs every year — as did Van in both 2010 and 2011. But now he’s excited to be in Sweetwater. “These kids work as hard as any kids I’ve ever been around,” he said. “I think that it’s going to be a great fit.”

Ward has over 20 years of coaching at both the high school and college level, most recently at Class 1A Moody which reached the D-I area finals. He began his career at Howard Payne University in the early ‘90s, where he played collegiate-ly, and moved to Hardin-Simmons as defensive line coach under Jimmie Keeling for the 1993 team that made it to the NCAA Division III semifinals. For the next 12 years he was a defensive assistant, first at Class 2A Cooper and then at Brown-wood, before taking his first head coach job at De Leon. He was also head coach at McCamey and Thrall before coming to Moody last year.As head coach, all his teams made the playoffs.
“I have been blessed to be around some great men and great kids,” he said. “Coaching is a ministry, and it’s been a blessing.”

http://sweetwaterreporter.com/content/new-coordinators-join-mustang-staff