PDA

View Full Version : Columbia and Sweeny Softball coin flippin

yellaseeker
04-24-2012, 12:31 AM
As i heard it last week. The Lady Necks and Lady Bulldogs were tied for first place in district. I may be out of line but i'm gonna say it anyway. Our coaches have got to be idiots to ask for or agree to a coin flip to decide who takes the title as district champs instead of playing a tie breaker game. Can you imagine how pissed some of those Columbia seniors, parents and fans are to play second fiddle instead of battling it out for a chance to have the title their last year in H.S. If i got this wrong, feel free to educate me on how it really went down. But, if this is true, then somebody needs their damn head examined for some kind of activity that should be present. Some of the other stuff i heard may just be rumor because it doesn't make sense to me. One rumor was that the Columbia coach really wanted the easier path in the playoffs and would be satisfied with second place. If that were the case, why flip a coin. Just act like you did and say we'll take second which, is just what some thinks happened. Don't really care how it went down because they should have played a tie breaking game. Wonder if the AD was happy with that decision or was the AD even involved. Feel free to give your opinion but mine will not change. What a douche!

OldNavy
04-24-2012, 01:03 AM
If I am not mistaken, in football if the season ends in a tie, the two tied teams are declared co-champions. Then there is a system to break the tie for playoff seeding. Don't know if softball is the same way or not.

Crow22
04-24-2012, 06:15 AM
Before you flip out, maybe you should find out why they decided to flip a coin. Both teams are declared champions. In softball and baseball, many times the coaches will flip a coin for the playoff seeding if the path in the playoffs isnt a big difference between 1st and 2nd. This allows the coach to save pitching and rest his players instead of burning them in another game.

Sorry for infusing logic into the thread.

3&2count
04-24-2012, 08:46 AM
From The Facts Newspaper:

Pearland and Alvin (12-2) finished tied for the district title and will coin toss for the No. 1 seed.

Just passing on some information.

yellaseeker
04-24-2012, 09:25 AM
From The Facts Newspaper:

Pearland and Alvin (12-2) finished tied for the district title and will coin toss for the No. 1 seed.

Just passing on some information.

Thanks for the info. Doesn't change my mind on playing anothr game though. I would'nt settle for "co" anything. Crow, i could do without the sarcasm. The education is fine but the comment about being sorry for infusing logic, doesn't do anything for me.

MGAR
04-24-2012, 09:27 AM
I'm sure this is what the coaches decided to do when they met before the season started...

Was anyone complaining about it back then?

pirate4state
04-24-2012, 09:31 AM
As i heard it last week. The Lady Necks and Lady Bulldogs were tied for first place in district. I may be out of line but i'm gonna say it anyway. Our coaches have got to be idiots to ask for or agree to a coin flip to decide who takes the title as district champs instead of playing a tie breaker game. Can you imagine how pissed some of those Columbia seniors, parents and fans are to play second fiddle instead of battling it out for a chance to have the title their last year in H.S. If i got this wrong, feel free to educate me on how it really went down. But, if this is true, then somebody needs their damn head examined for some kind of activity that should be present. Some of the other stuff i heard may just be rumor because it doesn't make sense to me. One rumor was that the Columbia coach really wanted the easier path in the playoffs and would be satisfied with second place. If that were the case, why flip a coin. Just act like you did and say we'll take second which, is just what some thinks happened. Don't really care how it went down because they should have played a tie breaking game. Wonder if the AD was happy with that decision or was the AD even involved. Feel free to give your opinion but mine will not change. What a douche!

Yes, what a douche! lol

yellaseeker
04-24-2012, 09:50 AM
I'm sure this is what the coaches decided to do when they met before the season started...

Was anyone complaining about it back then?

I don't think anyone was aware of any predetermined resolve for a tie. And, there are plenty people unhappy. It didnt start with me and i dont have a horse in that race. Don't matter to me what sport it is, a tie is bullcrap for any title. I say settle it and remove the question mark. But hey, that's me and like it or not, it seems to be the opinion of quiet a few more.

SHSBulldog00
04-24-2012, 09:51 AM
I would have liked to have seen them play a 3rd time but along with the reason's above was possibly facing each other a total of 6 times if they meet in the regional final again like last year.

Roughneck93
04-24-2012, 10:17 AM
Anyone who knows both of these programs would have loved seeing a tie-breaking game. I'm sure they had their reasons to flip, but as it stands, we'll just have to wait until the regional finals to see a rematch.

neck_06
04-24-2012, 10:37 AM
Pretty sure they would have been co-champions even had a game been played. The game would have been for the playoff bye, not the district title (not positive, but pretty sure). Coach Murphy has a multiple trips to the State tourney & a state championship under her belt. This ain't her first rodeo...she knows what she's doing.

baseballcoach13
04-24-2012, 01:14 PM
Thanks for the info. Doesn't change my mind on playing anothr game though. I would'nt settle for "co" anything. Crow, i could do without the sarcasm. The education is fine but the comment about being sorry for infusing logic, doesn't do anything for me.

Funny you don't allow sarcasm, but will call a man a douche....classy. Must be a Brazoria/Peach folk.

RoyceTTU
04-24-2012, 01:20 PM
Funny you don't allow sarcasm, but will call a man a douche....classy. Must be a Brazoria/Peach folk.

+++++1

pirate4state
04-24-2012, 01:33 PM

He said he could do without it, not that he didn't allow it...let's get it right since facts are very important to this douche. i mean dude.

baseballcoach13
04-24-2012, 01:40 PM
He said he could do without it, not that he didn't allow it...let's get it right since facts are very important to this douche. i mean dude.

HAHAHA...freudian slip much?

pirate4state
04-24-2012, 01:43 PM
HAHAHA...freudian slip much? :wave:

Saggy Aggie
04-24-2012, 01:47 PM
Im not going to 2nd guess a coach who's proven she can get it done.

If that's what our coaches feel is the best solution, then so be it. While winning district titles is nice, i know they're much more concerned with making a deep playoff run and trying to win a title

Hornet Mom 2
04-24-2012, 07:09 PM
Just my .02 here.

Caldwell and LaGrange had the exact same situation in baseball. Same district record (8-2) and both had one loss to the other, so head to head was tied as well.

Both teams are "Co-District Champions" and the coaches flipped a coin for seeding purposes only. Playing another game would not have made one team or the other district champs, it is shared no matter what. The flip is, as was said in an earlier post, to not have to waste pitching in a game that is only determining seeding.

I know softball pitching is different - one girl can pitch every game if needed, but for the boys it's different. So I realize that pitching may not be the issue here...but each school having to pay for a neutral site and travel there may have something to do with it as well.

mwynn05
04-24-2012, 07:21 PM
someone needs to sound the idiot alert for this guy... it is a co-championship no matter what, as a coach if you feel there is not much difference in either playoff path then there is no reason to play the game and risk someone getting hurt or putting unnecessary innings an a pitchers arm

ccmom
04-24-2012, 08:12 PM
I don't think anyone was aware of any predetermined resolve for a tie. And, there are plenty people unhappy. It didnt start with me and i dont have a horse in that race. Don't matter to me what sport it is, a tie is bullcrap for any title. I say settle it and remove the question mark. But hey, that's me and like it or not, it seems to be the opinion of quiet a few more.

Maybe YOU weren't aware of predetermined tie breaker/seeding protocols, but I highly doubt that all of this was decided at the end of district play. In my vast years of coaching experience (I know you could do without sarcasm but I can't), each district has their own rules for such situations and those guidelines are agreed upon prior to the season.

yellaseeker
04-24-2012, 09:19 PM
Well, i got what i asked for, an education. Some gave a straight opinion and how this tie situation works, without being an ass. Hell, some of you act like i attacked your grandmother. I guess some of it was deserved cause i did kinda jump the gun on slaying the coaches. Still don't like a tie though. Guess i'm too damn competitive if there is such a thing. Another game is not hard on pitching as far as softball is it? Besides, another game would just be more preparation for playoffs.

baseballcoach13
04-25-2012, 07:12 AM
Well, i got what i asked for, an education. Some gave a straight opinion and how this tie situation works, without being an ass. Hell, some of you act like i attacked your grandmother. I guess some of it was deserved cause i did kinda jump the gun on slaying the coaches. Still don't like a tie though. Guess i'm too damn competitive if there is such a thing. Another game is not hard on pitching as far as softball is it? Besides, another game would just be more preparation for playoffs.

One thing you need to remember is that person you called a douche could very well be a friend of people on here.

Maybe next time you could ask how something works before you spout off at the mouth and call someone names. "SHOOT, READY, AIM" doesn't work to well.

coachc45
04-25-2012, 07:38 AM

As a softball coach I can give you some insight. In 99% of districts the minutes are set up with tie-breaker rules already in place. Most of these district tie-breakers only provide a play-off if the tie is at 3rd or a 3-way tie for first. They set it up that way because of several reasons. The most obvious is that the District is over. The Tie-breaker game is considered play-off so its outcome does not declare the District Champion, only the seeding. Most teams would rather play a warm-up game against someone they haven't seen before and get them out of the "groove" of playing people they know and pitching they are used to. It allows a shake-up in mind-set to get ready for the playoffs. I have always preferred "new blood" before the playoffs as opposed to the people we are comfortable with, getting out of the "comfort Zone" is always good!

baseballcoach13
04-25-2012, 07:51 AM
Especially when you've played them twice in district play, and will have to most likely beat them twice in a couple weeks for a trip to Austin.

Phil C
04-25-2012, 08:20 AM
I have no problem in coin flipping if that is what the coaches' want. After all both teams are in the playoffs and advancing no matter who wins the flip.

I remember a few years ago we (Sinton) almost had to have a coin flip with Orange Grove to see who advanced in the softball playoffs and that wouldn't have been acceptable. It was raining in the area and their were no dry fields. If the game wasn't played by Saturday then a coin flip would have decided it. Fortunately they were able to play the game in Laredo on Saturday even though that was over 100 miles for each team to travel though the towns are only about 35 miles apart. Sinton won a close one 4-3.

yellaseeker
04-25-2012, 11:10 PM
One thing you need to remember is that person you called a douche could very well be a friend of people on here.

Maybe next time you could ask how something works before you spout off at the mouth and call someone names. "SHOOT, READY, AIM" doesn't work to well.

Who the hell gave you the title of "etiquette queen". I know coaches stick together but this ate at you enought that i'm wondering if this person is your significant other. You already threw one jab and now your running your c**k hole again. I already said i jumped the gun and got an education but you're determined to act like a venereal disease and keep coming back. Done with this one but, feel free to carry on.

Saggy Aggie
04-25-2012, 11:22 PM
:doh::doh::dispntd:
Who the hell gave you the title of "etiquette queen". I know coaches stick together but this ate at you enought that i'm wondering if this person is your significant other. You already threw one jab and now your running your c**k hole again. I already said i jumped the gun and got an education but you're determined to act like a venereal disease and keep coming back. Done with this one but, feel free to carry on.

SHSBulldog00
04-26-2012, 12:01 AM

:1omg!:

Crow22
04-26-2012, 06:13 AM

Ban????

RoyceTTU
04-26-2012, 06:48 AM
he mad
he very mad
mad man
he way mad

This board needs more of this..jus sayin :devil:

ronwx5x
04-26-2012, 06:55 AM
:foul: Wow, mad twice , two different things, in one thread!

44INAROW
04-26-2012, 08:38 AM

really - class act NOT :nerd::crazy1:

pirate4state
04-26-2012, 09:48 AM

LOL sorry this is like watching an episode of South Park

shamu85
04-26-2012, 11:50 AM
I am fairly certain that a district championship is not the major goal of either of these teams, just an incidental on their way to bigger goals.

MGAR
04-26-2012, 01:37 PM
Even though yellaseeker overreacted, it was still a good read.

ExScoop
04-26-2012, 02:19 PM
Both teams get a co-championship trophy
Its all about making the playoffs and trying to advance.
This is the same format in most Class 2A districts
Good luck to both teams

ccmom
04-26-2012, 03:52 PM

Wow...lmao

Roughneck93
04-26-2012, 04:10 PM
http://chzgifs.files.wordpress.com/2012/02/funny-gifs-every-night.gif

yellaseeker
04-26-2012, 04:27 PM
Even though yellaseeker overreacted, it was still a good read.

Thanks MGAR. Got it off my chest, not pissed anymore and that's "not" my usual character. My apologies to the ones who deserve it. Now i'm really done.

baseballcoach13
04-27-2012, 10:28 AM

Neither coach is my significant other. Just know both of them and didn't take too kind to the name calling from someone obviously ignorant of the situation. When I leave my home I usually either head north or find a way to go around the Brazoria/Peach area, but I'll be happy to roll through the slums should you decide my "hole" needs to be checked.

Glad you informed us all on how 'venereal diseases' work. Sounds like you got some experience.

MGAR
04-27-2012, 10:48 AM
lmao....

Internet tough guys...

Brings back memories of AOL 3.0...

Saggy Aggie
04-27-2012, 12:52 PM
lmao....

Internet tough guys...

Brings back memories of AOL 3.0... lmao, AOL..