PDA

View Full Version : Gruden's QB Camp

Bullaholic
04-19-2012, 09:59 PM
Watching "Gruden's QB Camp"---Jon Gruden is working out and evaluating all of the Top 10 QB's in the 2012 NFL draft. Pretty good stuff.

Farmersfan
04-20-2012, 08:47 AM
Watching "Gruden's QB Camp"---Jon Gruden is working out and evaluating all of the Top 10 QB's in the 2012 NFL draft. Pretty good stuff.

I've never like Jon Gruden so have to ask: What the hell qualifies Jon Gruden to host a ESPN QB camp and to judge college talent? Seriously, what QB has Gruden ever developed? He inherited what limited success he had as a head coach in the NFL yet he talks and acts like a guru. Grudens entire career was spent with veteran QBs like Rich Gannon, Brad Johnson and Brian Griese! The only other TV personality that irks me worse than Gruden is Jimmy Houston on the fishing shows....................... Fish kissing isn't a schtick that I can relate to! :thmbdwn:

jason
04-20-2012, 08:49 AM
i agree - gruden is kind like captain obvious - they qb's he is 'helping' never seem too interested in being there...
if he were that good, he would still be an NFL coach...

Bullaholic
04-20-2012, 08:57 AM
Love him or hate him---Gruden is entertaining and pretty sharp. I think he has a lot of moxy about the NFL QB position. I would like him as a QB coach if I were a top prospect.

regaleagle
04-20-2012, 09:03 AM
It makes for good viewing if you are a football fan. Gruden has been in the booth many times the last several seasons and is a recognized ex-NFL coach by the viewing public and fans. He is entertaining, and does a good job for ESPN on the show. People and esp. football fans ARE watching the series, me included.

Txbroadcaster
04-20-2012, 09:36 AM
I've never like Jon Gruden so have to ask: What the hell qualifies Jon Gruden to host a ESPN QB camp and to judge college talent? Seriously, what QB has Gruden ever developed? He inherited what limited success he had as a head coach in the NFL yet he talks and acts like a guru. Grudens entire career was spent with veteran QBs like Rich Gannon, Brad Johnson and Brian Griese! The only other TV personality that irks me worse than Gruden is Jimmy Houston on the fishing shows....................... Fish kissing isn't a schtick that I can relate to! :thmbdwn:

Gannon was a scrub until gruden..before gruden gannn never threw more than 16 tds...with gruden he never threw less than 24 and was a league MVP in his system

Farmersfan
04-20-2012, 09:43 AM
Love him or hate him---Gruden is entertaining and pretty sharp. I think he has a lot of moxy about the NFL QB position. I would like him as a QB coach if I were a top prospect.

Barrack Obama, Joel Olsteen and Jim Cramer are other examples of people who are believed to have "Moxy" in their chosen field for no other reason than their ability to "entertain". And just like these guys Jon Gruden has no history to would support the idea that he actually has a clue about what he is talking about. Get past his "Schtick" and Jon Gruden brings a big bag of nothing................................... Just like Jason said, he is Captain Obvious! I've never heard him utter a unique idea. He brings redundant and elementary coaching ideas to the attention of his viewers as if they are some kind of special insight of his.

Saggy Aggie
04-20-2012, 11:17 AM
Jon Gruden has no history to support the idea that he actually has a clue about what he is talking about. other than the fact that he won a super bowl....

buff4ever
04-20-2012, 11:18 AM
this thread took a turn I didn't see coming. I can see points from both sides. I can concur that I atleast find gruden entertaining. I have also at times wondered what these athletes are thinking when they meet with him. It seems a little strange at times. But I admit it is entertaining and at times interesting. No matter how captain obvious, maybe we just like to hear the qbs talk about game situations and remember our old days and live through them now that we are has beens or some of you may be never weres but wanted to bes. jk

buff4ever
04-20-2012, 11:20 AM
There may be a lot to the fact that gruden is and entertainer and commentator now instead of a coach. Maybe players didn't buy the whole image thing of gruden after they realized he wasn't all that in the knowledge and coach scenario.

MGAR
04-20-2012, 11:25 AM
I like Gruden, enjoy watching his QB Camps..

Will continue to watch them not matter how many "guru" 3ADL has to offer.

Buckeye1980
04-20-2012, 11:36 AM

What he said!

Txbroadcaster
04-20-2012, 11:37 AM
other than the fact that he won a super bowl....

And built the team he beat in sb

GrTigers6
04-20-2012, 11:39 AM
I like gruden as a coach but not as a commentator. He states the obvious way to much, I think trying to seem like he knows whats going on.

Saggy Aggie
04-20-2012, 12:03 PM
i like gruden as a coach and as a commentator.

He always at least provides intelligent football talk from a coaches point of view. It's much better than Chris collinsworth. I just really can't stand that guy

GrTigers6
04-20-2012, 12:31 PM
i like gruden as a coach and as a commentator.

He always at least provides intelligent football talk from a coaches point of view. It's much better than Chris collinsworth. I just really can't stand that guyIhave to agree with you there. Collinsworth has no business in front of a microphone

Farmersfan
04-20-2012, 01:35 PM
other than the fact that he won a super bowl....

He won a superbowl with a team that Tony Dungy built. Gruden then proceeded to tear it apart with his nonsense.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/10/23/keyshawn-johnson-says-jon-gruden-messed-with-his-psyche/

Bullaholic
04-20-2012, 01:48 PM
He won a superbowl with a team that Tony Dungy built. Gruden then proceeded to tear it apart with his nonsense.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/10/23/keyshawn-johnson-says-jon-gruden-messed-with-his-psyche/

You mean the same Tampa team that got Dungy fired for losing horribly to Philly two years in a row and that Gruden won Super Bowl XXXVII with????? :D

TheDOCTORdre
04-20-2012, 01:54 PM
He won a superbowl with a team that Tony Dungy built/[/url]

well by that logic, he got the Raiders to a Super Bowl then

buff4ever
04-20-2012, 02:12 PM
I have muted collingsworth, I can't say I have ever done that to Gruden.

no matter who built the teams, he was good enough to keep it together for one season and win the superbowl. That is harder than most would think. But there still may be something to the players not buying him after a period of time, and seeing through him.

Farmersfan
04-20-2012, 02:58 PM
You mean the same Tampa team that got Dungy fired for losing horribly to Philly two years in a row and that Gruden won Super Bowl XXXVII with????? :D

Yes that same team. Dungy was too conservative on offense and even a more wide open Gruden only won the superbowl because of that dominating defense that Dungy put together. Gruden took over a below average offense and retooled it and turned it into the #24 ranked offense in the NFL. That's right folks! The awesome Jon Gruden took the #26 ranked offense in the NFL, completely retooled it and turned it into the #24 ranked offense..... Gruden also didn't even make the playoffs again for 3 years after the Superbowl and all the while his players were hating every single second of his tenure on the team. I have never heard a single Tampa or Oakland player say they liked Jon Gruden.

"Despite the Super Bowl win, there were many, including players on the Buccaneers like Warren Sapp, who attributed Gruden's win primarily to the defense that coach Tony Dungy and defensive coordinator Monte Kiffin had created during Dungy's tenure with the Bucs." http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tony_Dungy

As far as those of you claiming Gruden was responsible for the success of the Raiders the years following his departure let me remind you that the Raiders got 2 first round picks and 2 second round picks in trade for Gruden. They boosted their talent level pretty significantly due to the compensation for Gruden leaving. I haven't researched who the Raiders drafted with those draft picks but I'm betting they got some significant help...

Txbroadcaster
04-20-2012, 03:36 PM
Yes that same team. Dungy was too conservative on offense and even a more wide open Gruden only won the superbowl because of that dominating defense that Dungy put together. Gruden took over a below average offense and retooled it and turned it into the #24 ranked offense in the NFL. That's right folks! The awesome Jon Gruden took the #26 ranked offense in the NFL, completely retooled it and turned it into the #24 ranked offense..... Gruden also didn't even make the playoffs again for 3 years after the Superbowl and all the while his players were hating every single second of his tenure on the team. I have never heard a single Tampa or Oakland player say they liked Jon Gruden.

"Despite the Super Bowl win, there were many, including players on the Buccaneers like Warren Sapp, who attributed Gruden's win primarily to the defense that coach Tony Dungy and defensive coordinator Monte Kiffin had created during Dungy's tenure with the Bucs." http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tony_Dungy

As far as those of you claiming Gruden was responsible for the success of the Raiders the years following his departure let me remind you that the Raiders got 2 first round picks and 2 second round picks in trade for Gruden. They boosted their talent level pretty significantly due to the compensation for Gruden leaving. I haven't researched who the Raiders drafted with those draft picks but I'm betting they got some significant help...

The year after gruden the raiders made the sb with the team he built....the next year they were 4-12

ctown81
04-20-2012, 03:46 PM

Horribly to Philly? Did you see the last playoff game? Tampa lost on the last drive b/c a catch was overturned which to me looked like a catch.

zebrablue2
04-20-2012, 03:48 PM
Ihave to agree with you there. Collinsworth has no business in front of a microphone

:iagree:

Bullaholic
04-20-2012, 04:00 PM
Horribly to Philly? Did you see the last playoff game? Tampa lost on the last drive b/c a catch was overturned which to me looked like a catch.

H 2002/10/20 Philadelphia Eagles 20 - Tampa Bay Buccaneers 10 W
H 2002/01/12 Philadelphia Eagles 31 - Tampa Bay Buccaneers 9 W !! NFC WILDCARD !!

Txbroadcaster
04-20-2012, 04:16 PM

Ur thinking of the nfc title game where they lost to rams

Roughneck93
04-20-2012, 05:21 PM

Yep, I agree. Those camps are fun to watch. Wish he'd get back into coaching though.

http://cdn.bleacherreport.net/images_root/slides/photos/000/667/447/image0228ue_display_image.jpg?1296019813

ctown81
04-20-2012, 05:27 PM
Ur thinking of the nfc title game where they lost to rams

You're right. That led to the best superbowl of all time although i didn't like the result.

TheDOCTORdre
04-20-2012, 09:25 PM

2002 draft Oakland acquired Tampa's 1st and 2nd round picks, 2003 1st round pick and 2004 2nd round draft pick. Seeing as the Raiders went to the SB for the 2002 season we will only only take the 2002 draft into consideration.

On Draft Day 2002, the Raiders made a series of trades involving the 21st overall pick.

They traded the 21st overall pick and their 3rd round/89th overall pick to the Washington Redskins for the 18th overall pick, then traded the 18th overall pick and their 5th round/158th overall pick to the Atlanta Falcons for the 17th overall pick.

Washington later traded the 21st overall pick to New England for the 32nd overall pick, a 3rd round/96th overall pick and a 7th round/234th overall pick.

With the 17th overall pick, the Raiders chose CB/KR Phillip Buchanon of the University of Miami. (Buchanon played for the Raiders from 2002-2004, and was traded to the Houston Texans just before the 2005 NFL Draft; see below.)

With the 53rd overall pick, the Raiders chose OT Langston Walker of California. (Walker played for the Raiders from 2002-2006, and signed with the Buffalo Bills as an unrestricted free agent during the 2006-07 offseason. He rejoined the Raiders in 2009 after being released by the Bills, playing in 2009-10 before becoming a free agent.)
http://www.sbreport.net/the-raiders-research-project/roster-minutiae/raiders-trades

So here's Buchanon's stats for the 2002 season
6 games played, 2 games started, 2 Int for 81yds and 1 TD. 2 fumble recoveries and 21 tackles

and heres Langston Walker's
12 games played with 2 starts

that seems like some pretty significant help to me