PDA

View Full Version : DCTF - How important are returning starters?

Manso/V8
04-16-2012, 01:12 PM
DCTF takes a look at the number of returning starters on teams (all classificaaitons) that qualifed for the 2011 semi-finals.

http://www.texasfootball.com/highschool-all-news/view/179840

Bullaholic
04-16-2012, 01:20 PM
Wimberley= 8 O's + 8 D's = 16 Returning. Oh my!

ronwx5x
04-17-2012, 06:35 PM
Wimberley= 8 O's + 8 D's = 16 Returning. Oh my!

If I read the article correctly, that is the number of starters returning last year (2011), The point they were trying to make was how important returning numbers were to teams that performed well in 2011.

Additup
04-17-2012, 06:51 PM
If you were good little high number of returning starters is scary for opposing teams... if you were 0-10, I hope you have 22 returning.

Manso/V8
04-17-2012, 06:54 PM
If you read his conclusions, the teams that made the semis averaged 11.55 returning starters compared to 11 for what he calls "run-of-the-mill" teams. The semi finals teams from the lower classifications (3A and down) tend to average more returning starters than the upper classification teams. I did a quick tally and the 3A teams in the list averaged 12.125 starters.

The average number of returning offensive starters tends to have a bit more impact than returning defensive starters(at least for this analysis). That makes sense to me because execution and familiarity with a system and timing is probably a bigger part of offense than defense.

In the end, a lot of returning starters doesn't necessarily create a huge advantage for a team. It is probably more important WHO those returning starters are!

I have always maintained that kids usually get bigger, faster, stronger and more experienced every year, especially at this age, and the kid you never see on the field or hear about one year can be a standout the next year.

Gone Fishing
04-17-2012, 09:48 PM
If you read his conclusions, the teams that made the semis averaged 11.55 returning starters compared to 11 for what he calls "run-of-the-mill" teams. The semi finals teams from the lower classifications (3A and down) tend to average more returning starters than the upper classification teams. I did a quick tally and the 3A teams in the list averaged 12.125 starters.

The average number of returning offensive starters tends to have a bit more impact than returning defensive starters(at least for this analysis). That makes sense to me because execution and familiarity with a system and timing is probably a bigger part of offense than defense.

In the end, a lot of returning starters doesn't necessarily create a huge advantage for a team. It is probably more important WHO those returning starters are!

I have always maintained that kids usually get bigger, faster, stronger and more experienced every year, especially at this age, and the kid you never see on the field or hear about one year can be a standout the next year.

Wimberley will so be about this last paragraph. So many players that are in the program working hard, but having to wait their turn due to such a great two years in front of them (semi and state Champs in two years) Texans did have a lot of underclass men starting this state champion year, but some in positions that they will not be playing this coming year. Should be interesting. QB and starting receivers will be most interesting. Like you said, Manso - kids get bigger, stronger and faster and more experienced and after two years of 29 and 1 the Texans will be surprising this coming year. IMO.

JacketSwarm
04-17-2012, 10:53 PM
smaller classifications (smaller enrollment) will tend to have a good deal more returners as they tend to have to start more underclassmen simply due to the fact that they have fewer seniors playing football than larger schools.

we have 5 off. and 5 def. starters returning, i guess we are done for...

f.a.

JacketSwarm
04-17-2012, 10:58 PM
in looking at last years roster for the 2012 season Stephenville will have a pool of 28 seniors, 34 juniors and 26 sophomores to put together our varsity roster.

ok, now fire away

ogg
04-17-2012, 11:12 PM
If you were good little high number of returning starters is scary for opposing teams... if you were 0-10, I hope you have 22 returning.

Yeah, like 22 returning from another team. LOL

ogg
04-17-2012, 11:20 PM
Wimberley will so be about this last paragraph. So many players that are in the program working hard, but having to wait their turn due to such a great two years in front of them (semi and state Champs in two years) Texans did have a lot of underclass men starting this state champion year, but some in positions that they will not be playing this coming year. Should be interesting. QB and starting receivers will be most interesting. Like you said, Manso - kids get bigger, stronger and faster and more experienced and after two years of 29 and 1 the Texans will be surprising this coming year. IMO.

I'm thinking Reed Jones will have a great year.

Gone Fishing
04-18-2012, 09:21 PM
I'm thinking Reed Jones will have a great year.

I agree. He may be great. Also several others. It really could be fun (good ride again for us fans!) it may be more fun to be the dark horse and mess everybody up!!!!!

Manso/V8
04-18-2012, 09:22 PM
in looking at last years roster for the 2012 season Stephenville will have a pool of 28 seniors, 34 juniors and 26 sophomores to put together our varsity roster.

ok, now fire away

do you find yellow jackets, wasps, bees, and flies annoying?

regaleagle
04-19-2012, 06:47 AM
I think for "run of the mill" forecasted teams to surprise and make the playoffs many times depends upon the younger, more athletic players stepping up to the varsity for the first time from the JV, or an ultra-talented freshman coming up from the Jr. High level(very rare today). I think many sophs and now "seasoned" juniors is what really makes the difference for these playoffs teams. Of course, you need offensive skill players no doubt, but even those can't carry the team very deep without other position players of quality stepping in and rounding out the defense or offense for a total team effort.

JacketSwarm
04-19-2012, 02:35 PM
do you find yellow jackets, wasps, bees, and flies annoying?

flies