PDA

View Full Version : Josh Hamilton

orange machine
04-15-2012, 03:42 PM
Just hit his 4th homerun this year a 449ft bomb they will be resigning him, I read yesterday where the Rangers and Hamiltons agent met last week to try to work a deal out. The rangers also want to sign Napoli which would probably send Moreland packing.

defense51
04-15-2012, 05:09 PM
A down year for Hamilton is still above average for most other players. I would like to see the Rangers keep Hamilton and Napoli, they have been a big part of the recent success.

orange machine
04-15-2012, 06:12 PM
A down year for Hamilton is still above average for most other players. I would like to see the Rangers keep Hamilton and Napoli, they have been a big part of the recent success.
Yes they have only problem is signing both of them means the Rangers will probably lose some big name players and some of the pitching staff. I don't know how much money the Rangers have to sign these guys, but hopefully they can get most of the pitching staff signed and those they can't hopefully there are good pitchers in the farm system.

bigwood33
04-15-2012, 07:35 PM
Napoli will cost too much money and can go. He is a sub par 1st baseman and average at best catcher. In a year or 2 he will be relegated to DH status and certainly not worth taking a chance on.
He had an outstanding season last year and has developed a nice cult following but there is a reason that the Angels, who can't score, traded him to Toronto for a bag of balls. Eventually, he will be what he has been for most of his career....a pretty decent platoon/part time player.

SintonFan_inAustin
04-15-2012, 07:42 PM
So many players from this great team it'll be hard to keep most of them but Hamilton is one player they need to resign, plays defense,steals bases and can hit. 3 tool player.

Hopefully they win it this year, it'll be more difficult once they start losing players to free agency.

orange machine
04-15-2012, 08:14 PM
Ranger free agents at the end of this year.

Josh Hamilton
Yorvit Torrealba
Colby Lewis
Mike Adams
Mark Lowe
Scott Feldman
I think they have to sign Hamilton, Lewis and Adams for sure.

orange machine
04-15-2012, 08:18 PM
I truly think they will sign Napoli and he will be the 1st baseman. Torrealba will probably get a one year deal if he continues to produce.

bigwood33
04-15-2012, 08:30 PM
I truly think they will sign Napoli and he will be the 1st baseman. Torrealba will probably get a one year deal if he continues to produce.
The Rangers will not sign Napoli to be their everyday 1st baseman...he just isn't nearly good enough. There has been talk about moving Hamilton to 1st base and even he said, early in spring training, that he thought that he would eventually move to 1st. Signing aging players based on a career year (Napoli) would be fiscally irresponsible. I doubt seriously that he will be resigned. I agree that they may resign Torrealba to a 1 or 2 year deal...they have a couple of young catchers in the system that they hope will develop over the next couple of years. In order to keep the good young pitching that they have, and their truly outstanding position players: Hamilton, Kinsler (done), Cruz, and Andrus, they will have to let the Mike Napoli's of the world go and bring up young, cheap players. The good thing is the Rangers farm system is rich with talent.

orange machine
04-15-2012, 10:01 PM
I know some people don't want him resigned, but I bet they sign him again if he can come even close to last years numbers.

bigwood33
04-15-2012, 10:05 PM
I know some people don't want him resigned, but I bet they sign him again if he can come even close to last years numbers.
He won't and they won't.

Tejastrue
04-15-2012, 10:11 PM
We are talking Napoli but maybe it should be Cruz, the guy is stinking it up right now.

Farmersfan
04-16-2012, 07:44 AM
We are talking Napoli but maybe it should be Cruz, the guy is stinking it up right now.

Napoli is starting to show his true colors and the reason the Angels didn't keep him. I think the Rangers keep him if they can get him for a decent price but just like all Pro Athletes he will expect top pay for his single good season of play. Perhaps Napoli sucking this whole season could be the best thing for the Rangers. That way they won't throw a bunch of money at a guy who will likely go back to very average play. And although Cruz might be a handicap in RF he is certainly a force to be dealt with by opposing pitchers. Even struggling he is a game changer. (Unfortunately for the Rangers his poor fielding changed a World Series win into a repeat failure). BTW: If Cruz has that kind of meltdown a few more times won't he be the "Tony Romo" of baseball???? :cool:

orange machine
04-16-2012, 08:00 AM
Shouldnt we give Napoli the benefit of the doubt for now? The season is in its second week and people say Napoli is no good which I understand from his past performance, but he is with the Rangers and maybe he just needed a change of pace. One thing is for sure he can play baseball and be an elite player in this league as displayed last year. I hope he does good and they sign him.

Txbroadcaster
04-16-2012, 08:03 AM
Napoli is starting to show his true colors and the reason the Angels didn't keep him. I think the Rangers keep him if they can get him for a decent price but just like all Pro Athletes he will expect top pay for his single good season of play. Perhaps Napoli sucking this whole season could be the best thing for the Rangers. That way they won't throw a bunch of money at a guy who will likely go back to very average play. And although Cruz might be a handicap in RF he is certainly a force to be dealt with by opposing pitchers. Even struggling he is a game changer. (Unfortunately for the Rangers his poor fielding changed a World Series win into a repeat failure). BTW: If Cruz has that kind of meltdown a few more times won't he be the "Tony Romo" of baseball???? :cool:

I would not call Cruz a handicap..is he perfect? no but he has the perfect Rf arm( many consider it one of the top outfield arms in baseball).

Farmersfan
04-16-2012, 08:12 AM
Shouldnt we give Napoli the benefit of the doubt for now? The season is in its second week and people say Napoli is no good which I understand from his past performance, but he is with the Rangers and maybe he just needed a change of pace. One thing is for sure he can play baseball and be an elite player in this league as displayed last year. I hope he does good and they sign him.

This is true! Although i think saying he can be an "elite" player is a bit of a stretch he has shown improvement in his game every single season since he came into the majors. Last year was his best year by far so maybe a change of venue is exactly what he needed. But through 10 games he appears to be completely lost and is hitting .100 and swinging at some really, really bad pitches. But let's give him time to either prove us wrong or prove us right.

"NAPOLI! NAPOLI! NAPOLI!" :p

Txbroadcaster
04-16-2012, 08:15 AM
Hard to gauge Nap...last year he was having a terrible year at the plate until july 7th when he went 3-4 and from that point on he was the hottest guy in baseball.

orange machine
04-16-2012, 08:33 AM
I think Napoli will be fine he hit a homerun yesterday maybe that will start him off. If Napoli can hit 20 homeruns and 75 RBI's and play good in the field I would be happy with his performance. I think he could be an everyday first basemen for the next 3 to 5 years. Some people act like he is already 35 years old he is only 30 and has alot left in him he just has to prove he can play good through out the year and not fall back into subpar baseball.

Farmersfan
04-16-2012, 08:37 AM
I would not call Cruz a handicap..is he perfect? no but he has the perfect Rf arm( many consider it one of the top outfield arms in baseball).

Perhaps handicap was too strong of a word.
Right now Cruz is ranked #75 at his position in Fantasy Baseball (of course that is offensive numbers).............................. And although he has a very strong arm he is very average at running down fly balls and makes very "High School" looking plays on balls to the outfield at times. That lack of effort on the fly ball to the wall in the World Series will haunt him his entire career i'm afraid. I love the Rangers and I like Nelson Cruz but he is not a great outfielder. MVP right fielder because of his offensive numbers and not his fielding............

Txbroadcaster
04-16-2012, 08:38 AM
I think Napoli will be fine he hit a homerun yesterday maybe that will start him off. If Napoli can hit 20 homeruns and 75 RBI's and play good in the field I would be happy with his performance. I think he could be an everyday first basemen for the next 3 to 5 years. Some people act like he is already 35 years old he is only 30 and has alot left in him he just has to prove he can play good through out the year and not fall back into subpar baseball.

I like Nap..but he will never be a everyday 1b and has never been. He is a catcher first...He is one of those guys that you like, but have to be smart about when it comes to how much money your willing to spend

orange machine
04-16-2012, 08:41 AM
I like Nap..but he will never be a everyday 1b and has never been. He is a catcher first...He is one of those guys that you like, but have to be smart about when it comes to how much money your willing to spend
I agree I guess the reason I like him at first base is because everytime ive ever seen him play there he has dont a great job.

Txbroadcaster
04-16-2012, 08:42 AM
Perhaps handicap was too strong of a word.
Right now Cruz is ranked #75 at his position in Fantasy Baseball (of course that is offensive numbers).............................. And although he has a very strong arm he is very average at running down fly balls and makes very "High School" looking plays on balls to the outfield at times. That lack of effort on the fly ball to the wall in the World Series will haunt him his entire career i'm afraid. I love the Rangers and I like Nelson Cruz but he is not a great outfielder. MVP right fielder because of his offensive numbers and not his fielding............

dude it was not lack of effort..He got ate up by a ball hit in the worst spot..people act like it was an easy fly ball that he dropped, it was not He made a bad first step..it happens.

Farmersfan
04-16-2012, 08:45 AM
dude it was not lack of effort..He got ate up by a ball hit in the worst spot..people act like it was an easy fly ball that he dropped, it was not He made a bad first step..it happens.

Chill out Mr. Know-It-All! It was a horrible play on a fly ball. You can sugar coat it all you want but it changes nothing. 99% of all outfielders in the game catch that ball.

orange machine
04-16-2012, 08:48 AM
Chill out Mr. Know-It-All! It was a horrible play on a fly ball. You can sugar coat it all you want but it changes nothing. 99% of all outfielders in the game catch that ball.

Will agree that most players make the catch, but every player screws up from time to time and makes poor plays. Cruz just happened to be on the biggest stage of his life and it magnified it. I love Cruz and hope the Rangers can keep him for his career.

Txbroadcaster
04-16-2012, 08:52 AM

i have no problem saying he should have caught it..but dont try to say he did not try or did not give effort. and no 99% would not have caught the ball..yes it was catchable, but it was not a Bill Buckner easy ground out that goes thru the legs.

Farmersfan
04-16-2012, 09:23 AM
i have no problem saying he should have caught it..but dont try to say he did not try or did not give effort. and no 99% would not have caught the ball..yes it was catchable, but it was not a Bill Buckner easy ground out that goes thru the legs.

You can have all the "problem" you want to have TXB! That changes nothing. It was a very routine fly ball that Cruz misplayed. That catch is made in the majors 99% of the time. So please stop trying to stamp out all Pro Athlete bashing crime in the world and let other people have their opinion. I have said many times that I like Nelson Cruz but just like Tony Romo if he continues to make these kinds of huge blunders he will go down just like Romo has.

Txbroadcaster
04-16-2012, 09:44 AM
You can have all the "problem" you want to have TXB! That changes nothing. It was a very routine fly ball that Cruz misplayed. That catch is made in the majors 99% of the time. So please stop trying to stamp out all Pro Athlete bashing crime in the world and let other people have their opinion. I have said many times that I like Nelson Cruz but just like Tony Romo if he continues to make these kinds of huge blunders he will go down just like Romo has.

I never said you could not have your view..dont get butt hurt cause I disagree..and really? you cant have a Ranger thread without bringing up Romo? wth does any of this have to do with Romo...and dont forget, without Cruz in ALCS Rangers might not be even in the WS..that is baseball..it gives and it takes away..and you will I will just have to disagree that is was routine..catchable, yes, routine not even close.

Farmersfan
04-16-2012, 09:44 AM
Will agree that most players make the catch, but every player screws up from time to time and makes poor plays. Cruz just happened to be on the biggest stage of his life and it magnified it. I love Cruz and hope the Rangers can keep him for his career.

I agree! But "it happens" doesn't remove blame or ridicule from a Professional Athlete when they do make these mistakes. I also like Cruz and think he will have a long and very successful career.

Txbroadcaster
04-16-2012, 09:48 AM
I agree! But "it happens" doesn't remove blame or ridicule from a Professional Athlete when they do make these mistakes. I also like Cruz and think he will have a long and very successful career.

something tells me in perfect world for the Rangers he will take over the DH role once young is gone. cruz is a late bloomer at 31..but is the type that could play many more years if he is at DH by 35

Tejastrue
04-16-2012, 11:38 AM

Normally I would agree on a play such as this but it's not like it was the first time for him to misread a fly ball. His strong arm is his saving grace, that is for sure. I'd say he probably allows an extra base with his fielding about as often as he holds a runner with his arm.

Tin Cup
04-16-2012, 11:57 AM
Why do the Rangers put josh in left and gentry in center for defensive reasons late in a game with the lead? Take out Cruz and put gentry in his place if you want to have our best defense.

Tejastrue
04-16-2012, 12:36 PM

I hope you are wrong about Napoli. Not sure you seen the game yesterday but Cruz didn't exactly look like a game changer and leads the team in SOs. Napoli has played in 8 of the 10 games so they could easily be comparable. Neither have looked good. You just had to slip the Romo line in there..Lol..

Roughneck93
04-16-2012, 12:57 PM
Why do the Rangers put josh in left and gentry in center for defensive reasons late in a game with the lead? Take out Cruz and put gentry in his place if you want to have our best defense.

Cruz should watch the Domingo Ayala Outfield Fundamentals Video...:D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qOcThXDgLOo&feature=youtube_gdata_player

coach
04-16-2012, 01:08 PM
Cruz should watch the Domingo Ayala Outfield Fundamentals Video...:D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qOcThXDgLOo&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Lmao those are great. I met him at coaching school this year

Farmersfan
04-16-2012, 01:57 PM
I hope you are wrong about Napoli. Not sure you seen the game yesterday but Cruz didn't exactly look like a game changer and leads the team in SOs. Napoli has played in 8 of the 10 games so they could easily be comparable. Neither have looked good. You just had to slip the Romo line in there..Lol..

The Romo remark was just to get some blood boiling on the other end................. :p Apparently it was very successful.

bigwood33
04-17-2012, 07:35 PM
My point exactly. It isn't that I dislike him but rather I don't "over value" him, like some do. He is a below average fielder, and always has been, and a nice offensive player...not a top offensive player. He hits homers but doesn't really drive in runs. I imagine that he will want big money and I sure hope the Rangers don't give it to him.

orange machine
04-17-2012, 09:30 PM
Napoli is playing pretty good to me he has 2 homeruns tonight with 3 total for the year.

Buckeye1980
04-18-2012, 12:29 PM
All you Cruz basher.....was Cruz the MVP odf the ALCS last year? How soon we forget!

Tejastrue
04-18-2012, 12:56 PM
It was not because of his defensive skills and that's the point. IMO..what Napoli did was just as important in their run last year.

Farmersfan
04-19-2012, 01:58 PM
All you Cruz basher.....was Cruz the MVP odf the ALCS last year? How soon we forget!

Cruz did win ALCS MVP last year but it certainly wasn't for his defensive play. And in my humble opinion 10 MVPs wouldn't justify the World Series blowing effort on that fly ball..........................

coach
04-19-2012, 02:51 PM
Cruz did win ALCS MVP last year but it certainly wasn't for his defensive play. And in my humble opinion 10 MVPs wouldn't justify the World Series blowing effort on that fly ball..........................

He won a game with a defensive play...he hosed down cabrera with one of the best throws i have ever seen