PDA

View Full Version : Baylor Facing Possible Sanctions!!!!!

SHSBulldog00
04-09-2012, 01:56 PM
http://espn.go.com/college-sports/story/_/id/7791434/baylor-bears-teams-facing-possible-ncaa-sanctions

defense51
04-09-2012, 02:19 PM
I'm can only assume the coaches and assistants are well educated in ncaa rules for recruiting. I'm curious what the permissable number of calls to a recruit are. Does anyone know where Griner played basketball in high school?

Roughneck93
04-09-2012, 02:26 PM
I'm can only assume the coaches and assistants are well educated in ncaa rules for recruiting. I'm curious what the permissable number of calls to a recruit are. Does anyone know where Griner played basketball in high school?

Nimitz High in Houston

oldtownag
04-09-2012, 02:32 PM
Houston - Nimitz

P.S. I only know that because my ex-wife went to school at Nimitz.

Phil C
04-09-2012, 02:53 PM
SHS I admire the Baptist Church.

Phil C
04-09-2012, 03:14 PM
I'm shocked, Shocked, SHOCKED!!

sahen
04-09-2012, 03:41 PM
if they have been investigating us for the past 3 years and all they came up with is we had some texting and phone call violations i can live with that...normally a slap on the wrist punishment, plus they actually are doing away with the rule we broke starting this summer so apparantly the NCAA deemed the rule so minor that they didn't want to have it anymore...

the violation about Mulkey talking to Griner's dad while her daughter and Griner were both playing on the same AAU team...come on, thats dumb...the rest of them, we broke the rules and im sure will have some penalty for it but that one just seems stupid...

FB-fanatic
04-09-2012, 04:09 PM
if they have been investigating us for the past 3 years and all they came up with is we had some texting and phone call violations i can live with that...normally a slap on the wrist punishment, plus they actually are doing away with the rule we broke starting this summer so apparantly the NCAA deemed the rule so minor that they didn't want to have it anymore...

the violation about Mulkey talking to Griner's dad while her daughter and Griner were both playing on the same AAU team...come on, thats dumb...the rest of them, we broke the rules and im sure will have some penalty for it but that one just seems stupid...

(some) Between 800 and 1200...

sahen
04-09-2012, 04:18 PM
(some) Between 800 and 1200...

over a 3 year period i believe...i send and receive that many a month...the coach that did the majority of them was fired last year when this discovered as well....also like i said the rule we broke is actually going away, i dont see how the NCAA hammers us for that...we will get punished but it isn't a horrible infraction like having agents funnel players to you or falsifying drug test like we have seen here w/n the past year at other programs...

edit: added this

i think this pretty much sums up my feelings on the findings:

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/story/18425185/release-of-ncaa-violations-a-great-day-at-baylor-and-hes-not-kidding

from the cbs sports article:

The NCAA examined Scott Drew's program from every angle for years. Not months. Years. And unless there's more to come -- and sources told CBSSports.com that there isn't more to come -- the NCAA didn't find an agent funneling a prospect to the program (as was found at Connecticut under Jim Calhoun) or a fraudulent SAT score (as was found at Memphis under John Calipari) or a compromised drug policy (as was found at Syracuse under Jim Boeheim).

The biggest thing the NCAA was able to charge Baylor with after a lengthy investigation is that the staff got kinda crazy with their iPhones, which should be cause for a massive party in Waco provided those at the Christian school hold massive parties.

I'm not even joking.

RoyceTTU
04-09-2012, 04:32 PM
this is not really a big deal....

Only thing that could be an issue is they were already under "Self Imposed Sanctions" which means they will likely get dealt with by the NCAA with less leniency.
This is actually the exact same violation Tech had 2 or 3 years ago.

bigwood33
04-09-2012, 06:43 PM
According the the ESPN report on this, these are considered major violations because of the frequency and volume of calls and texts. They are likely to get hammered since both the men's and women's teams are already under sanctions. This will not be pretty.

bolshavik
04-09-2012, 08:45 PM
Anytime a smaller school breaks the rules the NCAA hammers em. They hate the little schools

SHSBulldog00
04-09-2012, 10:08 PM
SHS I admire the Baptist Church.

Same Here...just surprised the NCAA took 3 years to get enough info. Baylor did it sooner.....What is the big problem in the NCAA offices that slowed them? Funny how they wait until they have their best year in athletic's to add to the self imposed sanctions.

Old Tiger
04-10-2012, 09:30 AM
a little over 700 txt over 3 years is very minimal

sahen
04-11-2012, 02:31 PM
and the NCAA weighs in after their "complete and thorough investigation" of Baylor's program is done (the quoted words are from Melissa Conboy, the acting chair of the NCAA Division I Commitee on Infractions)...

http://www.baylorbears.com/genrel/041112aaa.html

if you don't want to read it they are giving us no extra punishments other than the university self-imposed ones...so yah, no sanctions...

SWMustang
04-11-2012, 04:43 PM
they got sanctioned... I think it's unfair

sahen
04-11-2012, 04:51 PM
they got sanctioned... I think it's unfair

i shouldve said no extra sanctions...the original article made it appear the ncaa was gonna hammer us for much more than we self imposed yet they felt our punishments were sufficent...i disagree that it is unfair, we messed up and should get some punishment...i think drew being suspended for 2 conference games sucks, but i dont feel it horribly unjust...

SWMustang
04-11-2012, 08:56 PM
I disagree with the NCAA's selective enforcement.