PDA

View Full Version : Saw something where

Old Tiger
04-09-2012, 12:42 PM
Tebow was paid to spread the word and give an Easter speech....

Doesn't this go against the bible?

buff4ever
04-09-2012, 12:46 PM

Don't you get tired of hating on Tebow? jk

Old Tiger
04-09-2012, 12:46 PM
Nah but I am tired from lack of sleep.

RoyceTTU
04-09-2012, 12:52 PM
this will be a quality thread

defense51
04-09-2012, 01:15 PM

I could be wrong, but aren't most preachers paid a salary?

Tejastrue
04-09-2012, 01:25 PM

Maybe you can quote some scripture that points that out. :rolleyes:

buff4ever
04-09-2012, 01:27 PM
I am not sure, but my guess with someone like tebow, the money is designated to a charity. Either a mission cause or something. I am only speaking from what I would guess with Tebow. I could be totally wrong.

I know just like most guest speakers, he does cost money, have heard this before with some groups I am familiar with that wanted him, but I would still guess it goes to a charity of his choice. His parents' mission work would be my best guess.

Lion70
04-09-2012, 01:46 PM

So preachers and public speakers work for free now gotya.

bp80884
04-09-2012, 09:06 PM
So preachers and public speakers work for free now gotya.

I don't get paid to speak. However, I am so bad they do usually pay me to stop speaking.

More up front money but hell on residual income!

Old Tiger
04-10-2012, 09:34 AM
Maybe you can quote some scripture that points that out. :rolleyes:

Matthew 6:1-8
1 “Be careful not to practice your righteousness in front of others to be seen by them. If you do, you will have no reward from your Father in heaven.
2 “So when you give to the needy, do not announce it with trumpets, as the hypocrites do in the synagogues and on the streets, to be honored by others. Truly I tell you, they have received their reward in full. 3 But when you give to the needy, do not let your left hand know what your right hand is doing, 4 so that your giving may be in secret. Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you.

Prayer

5 “And when you pray, do not be like the hypocrites, for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and on the street corners to be seen by others. Truly I tell you, they have received their reward in full. 6 But when you pray, go into your room, close the door and pray to your Father, who is unseen. Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you. 7 And when you pray, do not keep on babbling like pagans, for they think they will be heard because of their many words. 8 Do not be like them, for your Father knows what you need before you ask him.

Tejastrue
04-10-2012, 10:40 AM
1 “Be careful not to practice your righteousness in front of others to be seen by them. If you do, you will have no reward from your Father in heaven.
2 “So when you give to the needy, do not announce it with trumpets, as the hypocrites do in the synagogues and on the streets, to be honored by others. Truly I tell you, they have received their reward in full. 3 But when you give to the needy, do not let your left hand know what your right hand is doing, 4 so that your giving may be in secret. Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you.

Prayer

5 “And when you pray, do not be like the hypocrites, for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and on the street corners to be seen by others. Truly I tell you, they have received their reward in full. 6 But when you pray, go into your room, close the door and pray to your Father, who is unseen. Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you. 7 And when you pray, do not keep on babbling like pagans, for they think they will be heard because of their many words. 8 Do not be like them, for your Father knows what you need before you ask him.

is is basically "May I never boast".. which I don't believe Tebow has ever done. The media has created this monster.

Prayer

Nice try.. but what is being referenced here is personal prayer that concerns only the needs/requests of the individual that is praying and which should be kept private and sacred.

You absolutely have a point though..this sort of thing is practiced all the time thus the reason for the scriptures. I just don't believe it relates to the Tebow story.

regaleagle
04-10-2012, 10:56 AM
Excellent quotes from the Bible by Old Tiger, nevertheless. Thanks for reminding all the importance of keeping your relationship with God individual and personal. Sometimes, esp, in today's society, that idea has been lost on many good God-fearing and God-loving Christians, me included.

Trashman
04-10-2012, 03:55 PM
It is my understanding that the church in question is now in negotiations with Peyton Manning......:smoker:

Txbroadcaster
04-10-2012, 04:10 PM

is is basically "May I never boast".. which I don't believe Tebow has ever done. The media has created this monster.

Prayer

Nice try.. but what is being referenced here is personal prayer that concerns only the needs/requests of the individual that is praying and which should be kept private and sacred.

You absolutely have a point though..this sort of thing is practiced all the time thus the reason for the scriptures. I just don't believe it relates to the Tebow story.

I am not a Tebow hater, but he does boast..him putting scripture on his eye black seems to me to be a look at me I am godly

Tejastrue
04-10-2012, 04:27 PM
I am not a Tebow hater, but he does boast..him putting scripture on his eye black seems to me to be a look at me I am godly

I can see how that would be perceived as boasting. Never thought of it that way.

bobcat1
04-10-2012, 04:38 PM
this will be a quality threadThis!

ctown81
04-10-2012, 06:01 PM

Funny how when people are not ashamed of their Christianity, they are boasting and saying hey look at me, but it's ok for others to show off their worldliness.

Old Tiger
04-10-2012, 06:14 PM
Funny how when people are not ashamed of their Christianity, they are boasting and saying hey look at me, but it's ok for others to show off their worldliness.why put It on your eyes if you don't want people to notice

Txbroadcaster
04-10-2012, 06:39 PM
Funny how when people are not ashamed of their Christianity, they are boasting and saying hey look at me, but it's ok for others to show off their worldliness.

I dont think either are ok

Eagle 1
04-10-2012, 07:54 PM

Prayer

I don't see how these scriptures have anything to do with the original post.

Like somebody said, preachers do get paid. Nothing wrong with that in my book.

Phantom Stang
04-10-2012, 08:23 PM

Saw quite a few articles on the web about Tebow appearing on stage at an Easter service in Georgetown last Sunday, but none of them that I saw said anything about him getting paid for it.

Got a credible link that says he was?:thinking:

Gone Fishing
04-10-2012, 09:20 PM
Wow.......

Aesculus gilmus
04-11-2012, 07:15 AM
If we are to be honest, we must admit that the Christianity of America in the second decade of the 21st Century bears VERY LITTLE resemblance to that of First Century Palestine.

It is this constant effort to go back in time 2,000 years that causes a lot of strife and grief.

The "church growth" people such as Rick Warren realize this and adapt to the changing times. Thus, they pastor "megachurches" rather than having a "home church" (i.e., meeting in someone's house with only a few members) as was often the case 2,000 years ago and would be the case again if they were to try to enforce the customs of the First Century on their church members of today.

It is not for me to say whether this is good or bad. It is what it is. God could come back tomorrow and say "how DARE YOU use those demonic cell phones" etc. as he whisks all the Amish away in the clouds.

(P.S. With the Muslims, their fanatics are only trying to go back about 1,400 years since theirs is a somewhat newer religion, but I often notice how the fanatics in both belief systems have more in common with each other than with the "polluted, secular cultures" in which they frustratingly live as they attempt, mostly in vain, to change them to their fanatical standards. The main difference is that the Muslim fanatics are more overt about advocating the practice of violence against nonbelievers. You only occasionally see a "Christian" do this sort of thing, usually outside abortion clinics.)

BaseballUmp
04-12-2012, 12:48 AM
Saw quite a few articles on the web about Tebow appearing on stage at an Easter service in Georgetown last Sunday, but none of them that I saw said anything about him getting paid for it.

Got a credible link that says he was?:thinking:

Celebration Church is one of my customers and it was $20,000 for him to appear. I'll probably stop by and talk to the guy in charge tomorrow, but he was pretty sure that the money would be donated to charity or back to the church. Don't really see Tebow keeping anything besides possibly to accommodate for traveling expenses.