PDA

View Full Version : Which Vehicle

Old Tiger
04-09-2012, 09:48 AM
poll and discuss

MGAR
04-09-2012, 10:59 AM
I went with the Ram 1500 because I like spending $85 to fill mine up.

:redxpoke:

orange machine
04-09-2012, 11:06 AM
If your gonna spend the money do it right and get 4x4 you might not use it that much, but you never know when you might actually need it. If you were getting a Diesel truck I would say go with the Dodge Cummins, but for 1/2 ton I would go with Ford or Chevy dont think you could go wrong with either one unless your all about GM being owned by the government.

OldNavy
04-09-2012, 11:50 AM
I have had great succes with my Ford F-350 Superduty. Great Torque and good milage towing 16,000 lbs.

Old Tiger
04-09-2012, 12:00 PM
I have no use for 4x4

defense51
04-09-2012, 12:43 PM
Ford F-150 - I've owned five and currently drive a 2008 super crew Texas edition. I owned a 1997 F-150 that I drove for 12 years and put 303,000 miles on it with no major repairs, so my loyalty belongs to Ford.

Old Tiger
04-09-2012, 12:46 PM
Doesn't each maker offer a "Texas Edition?" How much do those run? Each of the trucks I've looked at sell about 30-35K

buff4ever
04-09-2012, 12:47 PM
Doesn't each maker offer a "Texas Edition?" How much do those run? Each of the trucks I've looked at sell about 30-35K

Have you driven each yet? The chevrolet will be a much smoother, quieter ride. Almost like riding in a car instead of a truck.

slingshot
04-09-2012, 12:50 PM
Ford. Period. Was driving my son's '01 F150 2 months ago when another vehicle pulled out in front of me--no time to react or break. T-boned him hard. The F150 was totalled, airbag deployed, my wrist injured and required surgery (pins, screws, all that jazz) but it could have been much worse. The front crumple zones on the Ford worked exactly as designed. Safest trucks on the road.

slingshot
04-09-2012, 12:51 PM
Check out Mac Haik Ford in Georgetown... lowest prices in the nation.

defense51
04-09-2012, 01:10 PM
Ford has a Texas edition, Dodge has the Lonestar edition, and I'm not sure what edition Chevy makes.

Heffelfinger
04-09-2012, 01:19 PM
What happened to the other guy?
Ford. Period. Was driving my son's '01 F150 2 months ago when another vehicle pulled out in front of me--no time to react or break. T-boned him hard. The F150 was totalled, airbag deployed, my wrist injured and required surgery (pins, screws, all that jazz) but it could have been much worse. The front crumple zones on the Ford worked exactly as designed. Safest trucks on the road.

Emerson1
04-09-2012, 01:54 PM
I have a 2008 Silverado Texas Edition extended cab. Only complaint I have is the turning radius is crappy.

That's probably right if you are going new. Mine was around 21K with 49K miles on it back in 2010. If you go with a used Chevy just get one that is certified used. If anything breaks on it within the first year/12,000 miles it's under warranty. Was very handy in getting little things fixed that the previous owner had broken. The only one I didn't want was a ford. I hated everything about the F150.

I test drove a brand new 2011 of the same type while I was getting it worked on one day and I couldn't tell any difference at all. The only tweak the guy said was they added an extra gear, but the gas mileage was still the same.

MUSTANG69
04-09-2012, 02:27 PM
I drive nothing but Fords.
Own a 06 F-250 Super Duty
I work for a Ford dealership and of course I think the F-150 is the best 1/2 truck made.

Yoe_09
04-09-2012, 03:21 PM
Ford. My 1st truck(about 5 or so years ago) was a 2004 F-150 Lariat Edition. I now drive Mustang. If I had a 2nd choice, I would go with the Chevy. Thinking about a new Fusion or F-150 as my next upgrade.

Emerson1
04-09-2012, 03:29 PM
I have no use for 4x4

Get a ford ranger and lift it.

FB-fanatic
04-09-2012, 04:29 PM
Bought a Dodge Mega Cab with Hemi V8 6 months ago. 2006 model with 6,000 miles, fully loaded, in McKinney. Bought buy an older retired couple to pull travel trailer; went on one trip and husband went on oxygen and down hill from there. Sat in their covered garage. Paid same price I normally spend on my plain-jane manual-window V-6's in the past. Passed down my 2006 extened cab to my son, with 75,000 miles.

But crap, $94 to fill up last week, and a gas drinking son-of-a-gun! Still like it though. I find Dodge is the most likely to come well off the sticker when I'm ready to buy.

RoyceTTU
04-09-2012, 04:30 PM
Get a ford ranger and lift it.

underated post IMO

Saggy Aggie
04-09-2012, 04:35 PM
Get a ford ranger and lift it. lmao

FB-fanatic
04-09-2012, 05:07 PM
One more note on this subject. Does anyone else think it's strange that Chevy still offers a version with suicide doors? I've had a Chevy and GMC in the past with suicide doors, and had full size doors since. Would not go back, even for price.

Emerson1
04-09-2012, 05:50 PM
One more note on this subject. Does anyone else think it's strange that Chevy still offers a version with suicide doors? I've had a Chevy and GMC in the past with suicide doors, and had full size doors since. Would not go back, even for price.
You don't like the suicide doors? My extended cab has them. It might be weird with full size doors. With the smaller ones though it's pretty convenient being able to open them 180* so you can access the back and front when you are cleaning it out and the door is completely out of the way.

FB-fanatic
04-09-2012, 07:22 PM
You don't like the suicide doors? My extended cab has them. It might be weird with full size doors. With the smaller ones though it's pretty convenient being able to open them 180* so you can access the back and front when you are cleaning it out and the door is completely out of the way.
There are 3 of us guys who go lunch everyday together. One guy has the suicide doors. Getting out while parked next to someone is a pain. The guy in the front opens the door, and inevidably the guy in the back wants to bail out at the same time and now you are stuck. Guy in back has to crawl back in and wait for the next guy to get out. And as the guy in the back I feel like I have to fall out to get out.

Manso/V8
04-09-2012, 07:52 PM
For the half-ton, I gotta go with Chevy.
I have always preferred the ride and longevity.
I know some love their F-150, but not me.
Dodge trucks seems to fall apart and have all kinds of problems after some time.

slingshot
04-09-2012, 10:37 PM
What happened to the other guy?He is OK as far as I know... wasn't too happy when he got ticket for FTYROW. I'm just glad he had insurance. I missed two weeks of work after surgery and am presently cleared to work half time. Four more weeks in a cast then more surgery to remove pins, etc. Should finish with a month or two of hand therapy three times a week. Doing pretty good right now except one of the pins is up against a nerve at the base of my thumb--numb and burns all the time. Getting real old.

Emerson1
04-09-2012, 10:48 PM
There are 3 of us guys who go lunch everyday together. One guy has the suicide doors. Getting out while parked next to someone is a pain. The guy in the front opens the door, and inevidably the guy in the back wants to bail out at the same time and now you are stuck. Guy in back has to crawl back in and wait for the next guy to get out. And as the guy in the back I feel like I have to fall out to get out.

My thinking with that is the same as the lack of leg room with an extended cab.

I'm always driving or in the front seat, screw the people in the back :D

yellaseeker
04-09-2012, 11:06 PM
For the half ton, ford is my pick. As for 3/4 ton or heavier, dodge with a cummins is my choice. Although, i would look for an early 07' or older with the 5.9 in it and not all the pollution bullcrap strapped on it. Once the new ford diesel has proven itself realiable from it's consumers, i would more than likely pick it first over the dodge, only because the fords are a lot more refined when it comes to interior. I own a two chevy's so i am not biased. As someone mentioned, the turning radius sucks. Takes a damn acre to turn it around and the 6.0 chevy gas engine won't pass up a gas station either. I've owned all american makes but refuse to buy a rice burner and won't get started or finish any debate on that subject. Happy Shopping!

bobcat1
04-10-2012, 05:13 AM
I've been driving GM products since Moby Dick was a minnow. But I am considering Ford on my next purchase. They did not take bailout money and I like what I am hearing about the Eco Boost V6 motor. Their interior looks great also. I would not buy Japanese trucks even if they are built here. The money still goes to Japan except for wages.

GrTigers6
04-10-2012, 05:32 AM
I've been driving GM products since Moby Dick was a minnow. But I am considering Ford on my next purchase. They did not take bailout money and I like what I am hearing about the Eco Boost V6 motor. Their interior looks great also. I would not buy Japanese trucks even if they are built here. The money still goes to Japan except for wages. I was that way also, until I broke down and bought a Tundra. It was used and cheaper than anything else I could find.
It has the best towing of the 1/2 tons available. Hell it even tows more than my dads 2002 chevy 3/4 ton. 10,300 lbs. The only complaint I have about it is the gas mileage. 18 hwy. but towing is more like 10. Also it does have the best turning radius in the market.

LionFan72
04-10-2012, 07:25 AM
Been a GM fan since I was a twinkle in Dad's eye! Unhappy with GM for taking the bailout, but they still have the best riding trucks on the market today and overall the most reliable with the best mileage. Driving a 2011 GMC Sierra at the moment with big V8, getting 19-21 mpg depending on wind. Drove all makes when I made this purchase, and the GMC won hands down. But of course I was looking for a traveling ride rather than a work ride. All I can say, she gets me from fishing hole to fishing hole with comfort!

Heffelfinger
04-10-2012, 07:57 AM
Sorry to hear that. Hope you heal completely.
He is OK as far as I know... wasn't too happy when he got ticket for FTYROW. I'm just glad he had insurance. I missed two weeks of work after surgery and am presently cleared to work half time. Four more weeks in a cast then more surgery to remove pins, etc. Should finish with a month or two of hand therapy three times a week. Doing pretty good right now except one of the pins is up against a nerve at the base of my thumb--numb and burns all the time. Getting real old.

Pick6
04-10-2012, 08:25 AM
My dad owns his own shop. Please continue buying fords so he can stay in business.

I read a story once that compared chevy's and fords. It said that in the last 10-15 years more fords where still on the roads. The reason, all the chevy's made it home...lol

pancho villa
04-10-2012, 08:50 AM
Guys that drive FORDs have little drive shafts!!!!

coach
04-10-2012, 09:16 AM
I recently bought a brand new 2012 Texas addition Silverado (1500) LT. It's super nice. I was told by a dodge dealer that's the best truck you can buy. I bought mine for 32 and o%apr. Pm me casey for any details.

defense51
04-10-2012, 09:24 AM
First
On
Race
Day

Old Tiger
04-10-2012, 09:25 AM
It will be January(2012 close out sale) before I purchase a vehicle but I want to get as much research as I can in so I know I'm getting the best truck I can get.

LionFan72
04-10-2012, 09:41 AM
Found
On
Road
Dead.

regaleagle
04-10-2012, 10:42 AM
The travesty of all these 1/2 ton pickups is that you can no longer get one with an 8 foot bed. I'm a contractor, and must go to a larger model(3/4 ton or larger) to get the 8 ft. bed. The longer wheelbase does have a longer turning radius, but the ride is also somewhat smoother. The Toyota Tundra was the only 1/2 ton model available with its reliable 4.2 litre V-8 that offered an 8 ft bed. Now I think Nissan is also offering the longer bed. I have owned one C-10, 2 F150's, 1 F250(diesel), 1 F350(diesel), 1 Dodge 2500(diesel), and now the Tundra. I'll take the F350 Diesel as the very best truck, the Tundra as the best smaller truck.

Old Tiger
04-10-2012, 11:05 AM
The travesty of all these 1/2 ton pickups is that you can no longer get one with an 8 foot bed. I'm a contractor, and must go to a larger model(3/4 ton or larger) to get the 8 ft. bed. The longer wheelbase does have a longer turning radius, but the ride is also somewhat smoother. The Toyota Tundra was the only 1/2 ton model available with its reliable 4.2 litre V-8 that offered an 8 ft bed. Now I think Nissan is also offering the longer bed. I have owned one C-10, 2 F150's, 1 F250(diesel), 1 F350(diesel), 1 Dodge 2500(diesel), and now the Tundra. I'll take the F350 Diesel as the very best truck, the Tundra as the best smaller truck.The 4.6L v8 tundra is roughly around the same price so it could be in play as well. With the F150 you get about 17/23 mpg though from what I have been reading.

I also was seriously thinking about the VW Jetta TDI

Any tips on buying a new vehicle? The car I currently have will be given to my mom so she can have something to drive. How much is a good down payment and given the amount of down payment how much are they willing to go down off the dealership price?

GrTigers6
04-10-2012, 11:32 AM
The 4.6L v8 tundra is roughly around the same price so it could be in play as well. With the F150 you get about 17/23 mpg though from what I have been reading.

I also was seriously thinking about the VW Jetta TDI

Any tips on buying a new vehicle? The car I currently have will be given to my mom so she can have something to drive. How much is a good down payment and given the amount of down payment how much are they willing to go down off the dealership price?If your looking at the 4.6 tundra for gas mileage than you might want to do some comparisions because I hear they dont get much better mileage and the power you get out of the 5.7 is so much better. I pulled my 26 ft fifth wheel with my 20' pontoon boat behind it all the way to texarkana. Could hardly tell it was back there. Yes the gas mileage suffered by about 6 miles per gallon but at least it didnt drag down on hills.

MUSTANG69
04-10-2012, 12:16 PM
Any tips on buying a new vehicle? The car I currently have will be given to my mom so she can have something to drive. How much is a good down payment and given the amount of down payment how much are they willing to go down off the dealership price?

The minimum down payment will be determined by the finance source. The larger your down payment the smaller your payment. The amount of down payment is probably not going to have any effect on the price of the vehicle. The dealer is going to try to get as much as he can and you are going to try to steal the vehicle. Somewhere in the middle is a happy medium.

Emerson1
04-10-2012, 12:49 PM
Are you dead set on brand new?

sahen
04-10-2012, 12:51 PM

been a couple years since i bought one, but if you look on kelly blue book website i think you can find the average price people in your area are paying for the vehicle you are looking for...gives you an idea of what you can knock off the sticker price at least...

i dont think the down payment will effect the price you get the vehicle for much just the monthly payments...however, if your willing to pay down half of it or something maybe they will knock some off?? i dunno, i haven't had the luxury to pay that much down...you may have better luck though working out a deal for better financing if you have good credit and pay a good percentage down, worth a try...

'Necks 2013-14
04-10-2012, 12:52 PM
Funky
Old
Rebuilt
Dodge

Old Tiger
04-10-2012, 01:07 PM
Are you dead set on brand new?pretty much just because i never had anything new. Plus I will know what Its been through and how it has been driven. Another reason is the general maintenance and knowing It was all done by the book.

defense51
04-10-2012, 01:43 PM
Faithful
Obedient
Reliable
Dependable

Drips
Oil
Drops
Grease
Everywhere

Cheapest
Heap
Ever
Visualized
Yet

Greatest
Mistake
Created

The
One
You
Ought
To
Avoid

1st and goal
04-10-2012, 09:51 PM
The guys on the radio said the Toyota should be considered a "heavy half" meaning it is heavier duty. I know they have forged crankshafts and strong automatic trannys. I had an early model 4.7 and it never missed a beat. Poor mileage 16 average.

Emerson1
04-10-2012, 10:04 PM
Get them to put in a spray in bed liner for free for whatever you end up getting. Looks a lot better then a crappy plastic one and better then your bed being scratched to hell. Even if you don't haul stuff that often.

regaleagle
04-10-2012, 11:00 PM
Please be aware most of the auto manufacturers have fictiously elevated the prices of their vehicles to the dealer over the years to compensate for the rebate programs they offer for the dealer to offer to the public. There's a considerable amt. of "holdback" $$$ to the dealer once the unit is sold and registered, usually about 5% of the dealer invoice. Naturally, if the dealer invoice on the truck is say $20k, and they show you the dealer invoice, there is still about 7% left from invoice for profit(2% floor plan). That's about $1400.00 of profit. That's why you hear someone bragging about buying new vehicles for dealer invoice, or $100 over "dealer cost". And the dealers are happy to do it on units that are easily replaced, equipmentwise. Plus they can also make just as much if not more $$$ on extended warranty and financing programs. Just depends on how often you buy, the avg, mileage you drive/yr, etc. Typically, on a new well-equipped truck, figure about 17% from sticker, and that will be a great deal.

defense51
04-10-2012, 11:28 PM
The dealers will definitely "deal" on the extended warranty if you would like to add that. You can usually get the extended warranty for half - two thirds of the original asking price. Most dealers have extras once you get to the signing portion of the deal if you are persuasive. Oil changes, car washes, tire rotations, etc. When we bought my wife's Expedition at she insisted on free oil changes for the first year and got it without argument.

StangEm
04-11-2012, 11:16 AM
I bought a '99 F-150 with the 4.2 V6 brand new and have put more than 220k miles on it and in all that time, the only thing I've had to replace has been an alternator. The motor still runs very well and I'm hoping to get another 100k out of it. In 2003, I bought an F-250 7.3 diesel and have put just over 150k miles on it and have had ZERO problems with it. Of course both trucks have been maintained right so it only makes sense that they've lasted but I don't thin I would every buy anything other than Ford products.

MUSTANG69
04-11-2012, 11:17 AM
Please be aware most of the auto manufacturers have fictiously elevated the prices of their vehicles to the dealer over the years to compensate for the rebate programs they offer for the dealer to offer to the public. There's a considerable amt. of "holdback" $$$ to the dealer once the unit is sold and registered, usually about 5% of the dealer invoice. Naturally, if the dealer invoice on the truck is say $20k, and they show you the dealer invoice, there is still about 7% left from invoice for profit(2% floor plan). That's about $1400.00 of profit. That's why you hear someone bragging about buying new vehicles for dealer invoice, or $100 over "dealer cost". And the dealers are happy to do it on units that are easily replaced, equipmentwise. Plus they can also make just as much if not more $$$ on extended warranty and financing programs. Just depends on how often you buy, the avg, mileage you drive/yr, etc. Typically, on a new well-equipped truck, figure about 17% from sticker, and that will be a great deal.

What is fictitious about the rebate programs? I don't think anybody would believe that the factory would give rebates without increasing the price to cover the costs. If the rebates were eliminated and the prices lowered your net would still be approximately the same. The rest of what you say is partially true but not 100% accurate. I think it is a conspiracy by the manufacturers and dealers to make a profit.

sahen
04-11-2012, 11:58 AM
definitely deal on the extended warranty if you decide to get it...i bought a nissan a couple years back and found a website for a dealership out of california that was selling the warranties online since w/ nissans it doesn't matter where you buy the warranty from...i brought a printout of that website to my dealer when i bought the car and told them i'd rather buy the warranty from them, but i wouldn't pay any more than i could get it from the place online and they matched the price which was half of what they wanted to sell me the warranty for originally...im sure they still made money just not near as much, but that is one thing some people don't realize they can deal on that they can...

Old Tiger
04-11-2012, 03:04 PM
Seems of trucks related to it the 5.0L Ford V8 gets the best fuel economy 17 city/23 hwy of related trucks.

Others are around 14-16 city / 17-20 hwy

BEAST
04-11-2012, 03:35 PM
Seems of trucks related to it the 5.0L Ford V8 gets the best fuel economy 17 city/23 hwy of related trucks.

Others are around 14-16 city / 17-20 hwy

That crap isnt ever right. Most of the time the vehicle will either under or over preform. I will tell you this, I have bought and traded gasoline engine trucks for a long time through my company. Nothing that we have had (gas engine) will out do the Chevy Vortec engine. It gets better everything compared to Ford or Dodge. We have used all of 3 of them at one time or the other. Thats my .02

BEAST

jason
04-11-2012, 03:38 PM
i drive a 2007 5.7L v8 dodge and love it.
if you are concerned with gas mileage, don't buy a truck - that isn't what they are for.
the ford's seem to have a it more back seat room, i haven't driven anything (that wasn't a diesel) that has more power than my hemi though.
the chevy's are ok - i don't like their interiors.
as far as getting a good deal, holidays and close outs are the best times - don't be afraid to low ball on your offers and if they won't haggle get up and walk away, that's what i did and i had a foot out the door when they called me back in with another counter offer.

crabman
04-11-2012, 09:08 PM
Read the book The Millionaire Next Door. #1 vehicle among millionaires in the United States is the Ford F-150 pickup truck. Drive like a millionaire.

regaleagle
04-11-2012, 10:06 PM
Mustang, that was the exact meaning of my post...that the dealers and manufacturers were in cahoots to find a way to increase profit margin. My family has been in the Ford dealership business for over 30 yrs, and I was personally deeply involved with all facets of the business for about 7 yrs. in my early 20's to about age 29. I am now much older, but keep abreast as much as possible with the way business in the industry is transacted in today's market. I was trying to be as helpful and informative as I could for those that may not be as knowledgable as some of us. I'm sure I'm not up on absolutely everything anymore, but I know I'm pretty close in what I did post. Close enough, anyway.

FB-fanatic
04-11-2012, 10:06 PM
Don't buy an extended warranty on *anything* new. They are heavily favored in the sellers favor. That is why electronics and auto dealerships push them so much. Pure profit.

rockdale80
04-11-2012, 11:35 PM
I was that way also, until I broke down and bought a Tundra. It was used and cheaper than anything else I could find.
It has the best towing of the 1/2 tons available. Hell it even tows more than my dads 2002 chevy 3/4 ton. 10,300 lbs. The only complaint I have about it is the gas mileage. 18 hwy. but towing is more like 10. Also it does have the best turning radius in the market.

Ford did take bailout money, but didnt want anyone to know about it.

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2010/12/blue-ops-the-clandestine-bailout-of-ford/

rockdale80
04-11-2012, 11:40 PM
I have a 2010 Dodge V8 Hemi and it is by far the best truck I have ever had. Everyone has an opinion. My recommendation is to go drive them all and pick the one you like the most and can get the best deal on.

Why does it matter what everyone else says if it is something you are going to have to pay for and drive?

MUSTANG69
04-12-2012, 08:09 AM
Mustang, that was the exact meaning of my post...that the dealers and manufacturers were in cahoots to find a way to increase profit margin. My family has been in the Ford dealership business for over 30 yrs, and I was personally deeply involved with all facets of the business for about 7 yrs. in my early 20's to about age 29. I am now much older, but keep abreast as much as possible with the way business in the industry is transacted in today's market. I was trying to be as helpful and informative as I could for those that may not be as knowledgable as some of us. I'm sure I'm not up on absolutely everything anymore, but I know I'm pretty close in what I did post. Close enough, anyway.

I understand but remember these are businesses in the private sector so they are trying to make it as profitable as possible. I have been a comptroller in a dealership for 25 yrs and still am. I do have a little knowledge of the business. The Ford dealership I work for was established in 1939. We have never had a losing year. Bottom line, if we make 5% overall it is a good year. It costs us about $ 13000.00 a day to just open the doors and we are small compared to the metro stores. The mark-up in new cars is nothing compared to what it used to be. If it was very few people would be able to afford one.

Eagle 1
04-12-2012, 08:25 AM
I own a Chevy 1500 with 300,000 miles.
Enough said.

Old Tiger
04-12-2012, 10:53 AM
I have a 2010 Dodge V8 Hemi and it is by far the best truck I have ever had. Everyone has an opinion. My recommendation is to go drive them all and pick the one you like the most and can get the best deal on.

Why does it matter what everyone else says if it is something you are going to have to pay for and drive?because your opinion matters man lol

sahen
04-12-2012, 04:10 PM
Don't buy an extended warranty on *anything* new. They are heavily favored in the sellers favor. That is why electronics and auto dealerships push them so much. Pure profit.

this is way to generalized...extended warranties are typically a bad deal especially on electronics, but if you can get the warranty at the right price then they can become beneficial...just depends on what your willing to spend on the warranty and what it covers, definitely have to do your research before buying one...

MUSTANG69
04-12-2012, 04:25 PM
this is way to generalized...extended warranties are typically a bad deal especially on electronics, but if you can get the warranty at the right price then they can become beneficial...just depends on what your willing to spend on the warranty and what it covers, definitely have to do your research before buying one...

I would suggest buying the factory extended warranty. Some dealers sell aftermarket warranties. If you have one of these and break down while on the road you may have trouble finding a dealer that will honor that type of warranty. Dealers are required to honor factory extended warranties but they do not have to accept a non-factory extended warranty that another dealer sold.

big daddy russ
04-13-2012, 12:51 AM
I sell cars, get discounts on any work done, and I still buy extended warranties. But it all depends on what options you have and how long you're keeping it.

I finally sold my 1990 GMC Suburban (bought it off my dad--who bought it new--when I went off to college) a couple years ago with 310k miles.

I had 150k on my 2003 GMC Sierra (one owner) when it when it died in a fire in August '09. Otherwise, I would've kept it another 150k miles.

My Avalanche has 120k miles. My Volvo has 68k. Barring a fire or any other act of God, I'll keep both of those well past 250k.

I buy warranties, but the reasons above are why I buy them. If you trade in your car every three years, it's not worth it. And if you buy a stripped-down pickup or Jeep with crank windows and a stick shift, it's not worth it. But if you buy a Volvo S80 (or a Denali, or a Platinum Edition F-150, or any loaded-out vehicle) with every conceivable option, that extended warranty is a beautiful thing.

big daddy russ
04-13-2012, 01:10 AM
By the way, some of you may have noticed I'm a GM guy. It's not that I hate Fords. I think they look better and have much nicer interiors than GM's. They build some nice trucks.

But notice the miles on my vehicles that I mentioned above. Another vehicle I had but didn't mention was an '06 Toyota Matrix I bought in July of '09 with 36k miles. Traded it in back in February of '10 for my Volvo. With 82k miles.

While that year was a little higher than normal (even for me), 25k-35k miles isn't. I spend a lot of time in my cars, and my kidneys just can't take the beating they get from the F-150. Same reason I traded my Matrix for my S80.

Give me a smooth-riding vehicle with comfy seats. I'll take the vanilla ride of a Camry or the smooth Altima over the beating you get with the firmer, sportier Accord. I'll take a boat like a Mercury Grand Marquis or Buick Lucerne over a nice-riding, but not-as-nice-as-a-Buick-riding Nissan Maxima. And that's why I take a GM over a Ford.

defense51
04-13-2012, 03:08 AM
I love Ford as stated in an earlier post and they have earned my loyalty, bit I honestly believe that any of the big three (Ford, Chevy, Dodge) in the poll if properly maintained should get 250,000 miles or more. The maintenance in my opinion is whats more important than the manufacturer! It really boils down to body style preference, comfort, colors available, price, interior options, etc... All manufacturers have lemons from time to time, but overall all of these trucks are well built and dependable. Almost everyone has an experience of a lemon they've owned and a vehicle that ran like the energizer bunny. Personally I've owned a 1997 F-150 that ran for 303,000 miles with no major repairs, and a VW Jetta bought used with 118,000 miles that my wife put another 120,000 miles on it that only required a power steering pump replaced during that time. I like the Chevy's ride and colors, the Dodge's body style and powerful engines, but the Ford's interior, style, longevity, and overall more truck for the $$$ in my opinion. Last but not least there has to be something behind the F-150 being the best selling truck for 30+ years.

I use Chevy for my company trucks. Chevy 1500 has 315,000 miles on it never had a problem other than replacing things like pumps, belts, hoses, etc... and regular maintenance.
Chevy Tahoe has 200,000 plus on it 100k alone last 2 years never a problem except hitting a deer.
Chevy Malibu 250,000 same thing runs perfect and could take off anywhere in the USA and stay on the road non stop.
CHEVY HANDS DOWN THE BEST VEHICLE ON THE ROAD.

Im not a Chevy nutt we have a few other brands including ford. The chevy will go and go and go and go. Take care of it and it will last forever. I can see my truck hitting the 500k in the next 2 years.

Price is the main reason for Ford selling more trucks in my opinion. Before i started my own buisness I worked for one of the largest Chevy dealers in the USA. I did sales and finance and most of the time unless someone was a diehard ford guy it came down to money ford won out because of payment. The price of the truck dont really matter its the payment everyone on here would drive a 50k truck if they had a $400 payment.
Ford has good rates and incentives and makes a hell of a truck and I would drive one any day and everyone likes different stuff. One thing I would like to mention is a few years ago Ford stock was almost free around .80 cents or $1 maybe a little more. 100K worth and today you got 1.2 million. I bought 100k Chevy instead talk about a mistake.

regaleagle
04-13-2012, 07:56 AM
The posters on this board are a great example of the American auto industry market as a whole. This is exactly why we have different competing brands that offer different strokes for different folks. I'm personally partial to the Ford truck product, but I have owned GM and one Dodge. I reverted back to Ford. I agree that there are good points that each manufacturer has to offer for their vehicle, and it really comes down to personal experience and personal preference( and sometimes the wallet). Rebates, dealer goodwill and recognition, and the people at those dealerships can also play a large role in which brand a customer may ultimately select.