PDA

View Full Version : Cuero-Marlin Scrimmage

Old Green
08-29-2002, 10:14 PM
Let me tell Cuero ran into a speed demon from Marlin. They are a good sound team with more speed than anyone realizes.

In the contolled scrimmage Marlin scored 3 to 1. Cuero had first posession and promptly walked down the field and scored in six plays. Cuero moved the ball pretty good moving down the field till Marlin speed began to catch up to the Gobblers and stopped them from making good on their first offensive series.

Marlin took their turn on offense and on the first play QB Billy Pittman goes 69 yards to the 6 yard line before being brought down from behind. On the next play Marlin RB takes it in. On their next set of downs Marlin again scores from 35 yards out.
From their it pretty much settled down into a defensive match.
After a short break Marlin started out on offense and QB Pitman escaped the grasp Of several Cuero defenders and went 70 yards for a score making it 3 to 1 in the controlled scrimmage.

They played a 12 minute contolled game which Marlin won 14-0. Once again Marlin speed and athletism came thru. QB Pittman once again got out of the grasp of 5 gobblers and went 74 yards for the TD.
Cuero would move the ball alright and just when a gobbler was about to break Marlins defensive speed would close the gap or would smother the Cuero runners after short Gains.

Marlins last TD was really ashowcase of GB Pittman's ability to elude tacklers. He must have scrambled 100 yards to escape the Cuero defense and completed his pass for a 45 yard TD.

After seeing Marlin they deserve to be ranked a lot higher in the ranking. Marlin mainly operated out of a one back formation and the shotgun. Belief me when i say they are team to be reckoned with.

Cuero actually played to me their best Scrimmage so far. Cuero secondary had Marlin Passing game in check with 3 INT.'s and the defensive line had 5 sacks.
Cuero's short coming was the elusiveness of the Marlin QB who left the Gobblers lineman clinching air after they apparently had him for huge losses.

Cuero's passing game appears to be coming around with QB Brandon Mays completing 15 of 21 passes for good Yardage.

sinton66
08-29-2002, 10:18 PM
Sounds like the Gobblers are coming around. Also sounds like the Marlin team might not be that good without the QB. You know what usually happens to one man deals, right?

Pudlugger
08-29-2002, 10:28 PM
Sounds like Marlin will surprise some big name teams in pre-district play. Ennis better not take them lightly! Cuero is a tough team and for the Marlin offense to score like that says to me that they are a very talented and underestimated football team that will rise to the surface after district play.

Old Green
08-29-2002, 10:31 PM
Sinton66 they have two real good running backs. One small and one large RB. The small RB can get to the cornerpretty fast. The big RB also plays defensive end. He is about 6'3" 230 with good power and speed. It took 4 and five Gobblers to bring him down. Their recievers are good but didnot produce much. Cuero defensive secondary are veterans from last year with a lot of experience .they pretty kept them in check with numerous pass breakups and Int.s.

I might add that this was the hardest hitting scrimmage that I have witnessed with helmets being knocked several times. Marlin also showed very good sportsmanship during and after the scrimmage.

Head Hunter
08-29-2002, 10:36 PM
Are there two Billy Pittmans in 3a? Cause the only B. Pittman i know plays for cameron. So did you just get it mixed up or something?

bd62
08-29-2002, 10:49 PM
you head it on the head old green. my boy lives in cuero so i picked him up and we went to scrimage. marlin is the real deal.they have speed to burn. i understand they have a very tough non dist. schedule. ennis is one game they play. i look for them to go far.
cuero also looked good. i was impressed with there improvement in there passing game.also taylor looked good running the ball.
also i do not think there is no way they can afford to keep taylor and mays off defense.i know they want them fresh but they are too good on defense to do that.
cuero looks very deep and that will help them in dist. they are a force to reckon with in 273a.

Old Green
08-29-2002, 10:50 PM
You are right headhunter . My mistake It is Thad Freeman.

Old Green
08-29-2002, 10:56 PM
bd62 I agree with you about Mays and Taylor needing to be on defense. Did you see Mays went he went in on defense. First play an INT.. I believe he would have run it back if not stopped by the Ref's.

I will watch the Bulldogs play tomorrow night and GOOD LUCK.

bd62
08-29-2002, 11:08 PM
before taylor and mays went in on defense i ask my boy whats going on here.both made all dist. on defense. then on first play mays was in he picked it off.
old green we are hurting.i hope we dont get any more injuries.our f.b. aaron ward and brandon price are out for this game and 2 more are questionable. 2 more our out for year. 4 sophs. are already on varsity and probably 4 more before dist. but everybody has them and we have to work thru this.