PDA

View Full Version : Hempstead head football coach leaves athletes behind

ExScoop
04-06-2012, 03:56 PM
A few months ago, football coach Ricky Sargent led Hempstead to the Class 2A Division I finals. On Monday, Sargent will find out if he will be coaching next year.

Hemptead ISD called a special meeting to address Sargent and his likely future after he made the call to leave two student athletes alone at a restaurant more than an hour from home late at night.

“It’s me – I made a decision and you just don’t know the feeling that I have inside about regretting to make that decision,” Sargent said Friday.

Hempstead athletic director Bobby Spain could not be reached for comment.

Ricky Sargent coaches football and track at Hempstead. (Jerry Baker/For the Chronicle)

Sargent is also the head track coach for the Bobcats, but wasn’t with the team on its way back from a meet March 30. The athletes were misbehaving and eventually told they were not going to be allowed to eat. Darius Battles and Ronnie Jones got off the bus to get food and that’s when Sargent received a call about the two seniors getting off and refusing to get back on the bus.

“I did give the okay for them to leave and that I would go and pick the kids up,” Sargent said.

The bus pulled away around 11 p.m., leaving Battles and Jones in Giddings, which is about an hour from Hempstead.

“We thought they were going to pull around the corner just to scare us,” Jones told Fox 26 News.

Sargent met the two and waited until one of their parents arrived to pick them up. He met with Battles, Jones and their parents the next day to apologize.

“Those student should have never been left alone,” Sargent said. “That was a mistake on my part and I feel extremely bad for that. But that’s what happened and I have to live with that decision, and I just thank God that nothing happened to those students before I returned to be with them.”

In a statement to Fox 26, the school district’s lawyer wrote, “The coaches involved were not acting under the direction or with the permission of the athletic director or any members of the district’s administrative team.”

Sargent is the dean of students at Hempstead High School in addition to leading the football and boys track teams. The Bobcats won their first 14 games of the season, eventually falling to Melissa in the championship game. Jones signed with Lamar University in February after leading a defense that held nine opponents to less than 10 points.

“Hempstead has been great to me,” Sargent said. “I love the kids and the people there, but I will accept whatever decision that is made for me making the decision that I did which wasn’t a very good one.”

rholl
04-09-2012, 11:10 AM
act like a knucklehead, get treated like a knuckle head!!!!!!

Tejastrue
04-09-2012, 11:19 AM
act like a knucklehead, get treated like a knuckle head!!!!!!

You are talking about the two young men, right? :wave:

buff4ever
04-09-2012, 12:59 PM
I think I remember them, they were sticking their thumbs out as cars went by, I told them I lived in town, then they asked for dinner money.:helpme:

rholl
04-09-2012, 01:21 PM
You are talking about the two young men, right? :wave:

absolutely

Matthew328
04-09-2012, 03:15 PM
Horrible decision by the coaches...

UPanIN
04-09-2012, 03:46 PM
Easy to look back and see what the coach should have done. We've all made bad decisions. he sounds like a stand up guy from the article.

maybe those two kids will think twice before they misbehave again. Maybe these are two great kids who messed up and have seen the light. maybe they'll ask that the coach not be fired because of what they started. maybe they will ask for forgiveness and everyone will move on. maybe mom & dad will forgive and forget. maybe the coach will not lose his job.

MAYBE

HEMOTOXIC
04-09-2012, 09:51 PM
Just heard on Fox 26 that Coach Sargent was fired.

Yoe_09
04-09-2012, 09:57 PM
Ouch. You go from being in the state championship just a while back to being fired. Tough way to go out.

HEMOTOXIC
04-09-2012, 10:20 PM
Ouch. You go from being in the state championship just a while back to being fired. Tough way to go out.

Very true!

Roughneck93
04-09-2012, 10:26 PM
School board also voted to suspend four other coaches without pay for 30 days.

http://www.myfoxhouston.com/dpp/news/local/120409-hempstead-isd-fires-popular-coach

Tejastrue
04-09-2012, 10:55 PM
I'm sorry but I have to chuckle a little bit just picturing the faces of those two when the buses drove off. It had to be priceless. Firing the coach was not the right call IMO.

Matthew328
04-10-2012, 07:06 AM
I think it was, regardless of how the kids acted you have to keep a cool head as a coach and handle the situation once you get back to school. What if something would have happened to those kids when they were left? As a school administrator it is your responsibility to get all your kids back home safely. Unless those kids were threatening the safety of the other kids on the bus they should have been brought home and dealt with at school.

Phil C
04-10-2012, 08:21 AM
This wouldn't have happened if the kids had not misbehaved which started it all.
Kids see what misbehaving costs? You just cost your school a good coach.

Phil C
04-10-2012, 08:21 AM
I doubt if that coach will be out of a job too long.

Tejastrue
04-10-2012, 08:50 AM
I think it was, regardless of how the kids acted you have to keep a cool head as a coach and handle the situation once you get back to school. What if something would have happened to those kids when they were left? As a school administrator it is your responsibility to get all your kids back home safely. Unless those kids were threatening the safety of the other kids on the bus they should have been brought home and dealt with at school.

Not condoning what he did and I agree with everything you said but it's not like they were 10 year olds. Sounds to me his action was something he probably would have done to his own 17-18 yr old sons if they acted in the manner these two did. That's the problem here. It appears he was trying to set an example and if he thought his career was at stake, of course he would not have handled it this way. One question..if they refused to get back on the bus..what then..physically force them to do so? Talk about problems. No, he should not lose his job. Disciplined..yes..but not termination. Maybe the two young men should be kicked out of school and/or the one not be able to attend Lamar University at the next level. Wait..they should not be held accountable.

pancho villa
04-10-2012, 08:56 AM
They also need to put those two kids in alternative school!

Matthew328
04-10-2012, 09:04 AM
The bottom line here is your responsibility as a school administrator is to ensure your students arrive back to school, if you choose not to do that you open yourself up to all kinds of issues. The fact that he as the track coach made this call while not even with the team makes it even worse to me...whats right is right and whats wrong is wrong, it doesn't matter if he knew his career was at stake or not.

How does the coach REALLY know what if the kids refused to get back on the bus or not? He wasn't there! If they did refuse to get back on the bus you cover your rear end by calling the parents, calling your boss and letting them know the situation not just leave the kids.

As for holding the young men accountable, you hold them accountable for their actions once they return to school safely. You don't leave them 60 miles from home.

44INAROW
04-10-2012, 09:48 AM
They also need to put those two kids in alternative school!

I totally agree...

regaleagle
04-10-2012, 10:02 AM
Hempstead's loss, plain and simple. The coach, or coaches maybe, will be welcomed with open arms elsewhere, IMO. Mom and Dad of each boy should take a long look in the mirror before crucifying this coach. He didn't raise these boys. He's just a coach at the school they attend.

Tejastrue
04-10-2012, 10:10 AM
The bottom line here is your responsibility as a school administrator is to ensure your students arrive back to school, if you choose not to do that you open yourself up to all kinds of issues. The fact that he as the track coach made this call while not even with the team makes it even worse to me...whats right is right and whats wrong is wrong, it doesn't matter if he knew his career was at stake or not.

How does the coach REALLY know what if the kids refused to get back on the bus or not? He wasn't there! If they did refuse to get back on the bus you cover your rear end by calling the parents, calling your boss and letting them know the situation not just leave the kids.

As for holding the young men accountable, you hold them accountable for their actions once they return to school safely. You don't leave them 60 miles from home.

How does it make it worse if he was not present? Was he suppose to be there and was not..that's a whole different issue and may have been a factor in the board's decision but from what I get from the information provided was that he was contacted by others in authority (coaches) and made the call with the intent to personally go pick them up. The information provided here also said they refused to get back on the bus. As said before I get it with the "proper procedure" that should have been followed and your comments are "by the book" but for the coach to lose his job....well...IMO..it's just wrong. If there are other factors involved then I might have a different opinion.

StangEm
04-10-2012, 10:45 AM
This is a tough situation for him to be put in. On one hand you have a problem with kids who refuse to get back on the bus and you can't physically force them to get on the bus either. I guess the best possible response to as situation like this would be to call the police and have them handle the situation by way of legal force but who's to say that that wouldn't provoke a response by the athletes. I don't think I would leave them there by themselves but in the same breath I don't think I would allow these two to control the rest of the team's night. Rock and a hard place my friend......

Matthew328
04-10-2012, 10:54 AM
It's a lot worse that he wasn't there, he made the call based on what facts he's given over the phone and not from what he saw from his own eyes. What one person deems as uncontrollable behavior may have been something he could have handled. Because he wasn't there he made this decision simply based on a phone call. The fact that he's the head track coach and wasn't with the track team seems a bit odd as well.

Tejastrue
04-10-2012, 11:10 AM
Why be so quick to judge? We've established this was improper procedure. Was it enough to justify termination? Based on what I've read, and again that's all I have to go by...absolutely not. JMO.

BEAST
04-10-2012, 11:35 AM
As much as I am on the side of the coaches, I think the proper action was taken. I dont like it. I hope the kids get tossed out of school. But, from an ISD's standpoint, do yall understand the amount of lawsuits this thing could open up. Child endagerment, etc. Bad decision.

BEAST

Matthew328
04-10-2012, 11:50 AM
Why be so quick to judge? We've established this was improper procedure. Was it enough to justify termination? Based on what I've read, and again that's all I have to go by...absolutely not. JMO.

Having been in education and knowing the liability that decision potentially could have put on the district, it was the right decision. Unless those kids endangered the lives of the other students they should have been placed on the bus. If they refused to get on the bus a coach should have stayed with those students until they were picked up by their parents or the authorities. There are times when someone makes such a bad decision there is no choice but to let them go because if their decision making is that flawed there's no telling when it could really come back and bite you in the rear. I'm in a position of authority at my job and the decisions I make can impact my company by literally millions of dollars, I know going in if I screw up bad enough there is no second chance, my employees know this also. In this case the screw up was so bad a second chance isn't warranted IMO

Emerson1
04-10-2012, 11:56 AM
As much as I am on the side of the coaches, I think the proper action was taken. I dont like it. I hope the kids get tossed out of school. But, from an ISD's standpoint, do yall understand the amount of lawsuits this thing could open up. Child endagerment, etc. Bad decision.

BEAST
Get expelled from school for being asses on the bus?

Ya that makes a lot of sense .

Txbroadcaster
04-10-2012, 12:16 PM
As someone who has rode the yellow dog as a coach..you first and foremost have to get the kids home..period...if you lose trust of the parents how can they expect to trust you in the future that you will get them all home safe each and every road trip?

ExScoop
04-10-2012, 12:40 PM
While the coach should have waited for the kids, it proves there's a lack of respect and disicpline these days. When I was a kid the bus driver was very strickt and didn't put up with bad behavior etc.

Txbroadcaster
04-10-2012, 01:34 PM
While the coach should have waited for the kids, it proves there's a lack of respect and disicpline these days. When I was a kid the bus driver was very strickt and didn't put up with bad behavior etc.

again this is just not a these days deal..just now things like this hit the internet and everyone knows about it

Matthew328
04-10-2012, 02:13 PM
There's been plenty of stories of kids screwing around on the bus from back in the day..Spike Dykes did it back in the day and guess what...he got fired for it

Tejastrue
04-10-2012, 02:41 PM
Having been in education and knowing the liability that decision potentially could have put on the district, it was the right decision. Unless those kids endangered the lives of the other students they should have been placed on the bus. If they refused to get on the bus a coach should have stayed with those students until they were picked up by their parents or the authorities. There are times when someone makes such a bad decision there is no choice but to let them go because if their decision making is that flawed there's no telling when it could really come back and bite you in the rear. I'm in a position of authority at my job and the decisions I make can impact my company by literally millions of dollars, I know going in if I screw up bad enough there is no second chance, my employees know this also. In this case the screw up was so bad a second chance isn't warranted IMO

I understand everything you say and I respect that. Same for Beast and TXB. I will say this. If I knew coach Sargent to be a good man (as how we look at Coach Nelms here) and these were my sons, and they acted in this manner I'd be shaking his hand right now. Sorry, judge me as a parent how you like. Too many parents want the teachers/coaches/ school systems to raise our children but when they do something they believe to be questionable, they raise all kinds of hell. Again, I know it was not proper procedure but there are some students you just can't be politically correct with. Like the old saying..you improvise, adapt, overcome. Liable..ah yes..a wicked word more times than not and taken advantage of much too often with frivolous lawsuits.

Matthew328
04-10-2012, 02:50 PM
Would you shake his hand if something happened to your kids after being left?

Tejastrue
04-10-2012, 02:58 PM
Would you shake his hand if something happened to your kids after being left?

You are becoming predictable Matt. I knew that question would come up and it's pure speculation. The bus could have easily been in a major accident after leaving the two students at the restaurant.

BEAST
04-10-2012, 03:07 PM
You are becoming predictable Matt. I knew that question would come up and it's pure speculation. The bus could have easily been in a major accident after leaving the two students at the restaurant.

It also couldve been in a major accident before it ever got to the restaurant. So that is pure speculation also. Look, I said I sympathize with the coach. I dont think the schools should be in charge of teaching our kids everything. I think parents need to shoulder a lot bigger load than most of them do. However, you just cant leave the kids.

BEAST

Matthew328
04-10-2012, 03:08 PM

Yes but thats the thing as en employer you have to look at...a lot of parents talk a big game but liability still lies with the school if something happened. As a person in a position of authority responsible for others children erring on the side of caution is always the way to go. It's speculation, but we all know the answer..most of the people lauding the decision to leave the kids would also be the first to sue if their kids were the ones who were left and God forbid something happened to them thus the severe punishment.

As for the bus getting in an accident, its an apples to oranges comparison. Others could be the cause of the accident thus freeing the school of liability, leaving the kids was one man's decision alone.

Tejastrue
04-10-2012, 03:32 PM
It also couldve been in a major accident before it ever got to the restaurant. So that is pure speculation also. Look, I said I sympathize with the coach. I dont think the schools should be in charge of teaching our kids everything. I think parents need to shoulder a lot bigger load than most of them do. However, you just cant leave the kids.

BEAST

I'm not trying to ask anyone to agree with me Beast. I simply believe the coach was trying to humble the young men and had every intent to pick them up in a timely manner. I realize this is also pure speculation.

Tejastrue
04-10-2012, 04:03 PM
Yes but thats the thing as en employer you have to look at...a lot of parents talk a big game but liability still lies with the school if something happened. As a person in a position of authority responsible for others children erring on the side of caution is always the way to go. It's speculation, but we all know the answer..most of the people lauding the decision to leave the kids would also be the first to sue if their kids were the ones who were left and God forbid something happened to them thus the severe punishment.

As for the bus getting in an accident, its an apples to oranges comparison. Others could be the cause of the accident thus freeing the school of liability, leaving the kids was one man's decision alone.

I can't speak for others. We are indeed suffering through a litigation phenomenon and it has everyone basically paranoid of what's considered right or wrong. This time I'll use the "you must not know me" in regards to my opinion on lawsuits. Not everyone is looking for an excuse but that is the mindset of far too many today.

Txbroadcaster
04-10-2012, 04:07 PM
I can't speak for others. We are indeed suffering through a litigation phenomenon and it has everyone basically paranoid of what's considered right or wrong. This time I'll use the "you must not know me" in regards to my opinion on lawsuits. Not everyone is looking for an excuse but that is the mindset of far too many today.

I dont think it is much of an excuse to leave kids for over an hour 60 miles away from home..that is just plain dumb IMO. Yes they were acting stupid..but ya know what kids do that, all the time. It is the adult who has to be the mature one and handle it the right way and IMO leaving them is not the right way..scare them if you want, drive 5 miles down the road and turn around..that will get the same reaction as driving 60 miles down te road IMO

Manso/V8
04-10-2012, 04:11 PM
Like those kids have never been in a restaurant by themselves before!

You got any idea what it is like going to high school in Hempstead?

Those kids were not in any danger and the coach knew it, the parents know it, and the AD knows it.

Tejastrue
04-10-2012, 04:58 PM
I dont think it is much of an excuse to leave kids for over an hour 60 miles away from home..that is just plain dumb IMO. Yes they were acting stupid..but ya know what kids do that, all the time. It is the adult who has to be the mature one and handle it the right way and IMO leaving them is not the right way..scare them if you want, drive 5 miles down the road and turn around..that will get the same reaction as driving 60 miles down te road IMO

I believe an hour was about right. Plenty of time to enjoy their meal. Hey, at least it was a Whataburger.

ExScoop
04-10-2012, 05:40 PM
In four years at East Bernard HIgh School back in the early 1970s-we ate out after a game-That was in Hallettsville after a football game in Shiner. We even had to wear a white shirt and tie that everyone brought

ccmom
04-10-2012, 06:38 PM
In four years at East Bernard HIgh School back in the early 1970s-we ate out after a game-That was in Hallettsville after a football game in Shiner. We even had to wear a white shirt and tie that everyone broughtUmmm???

Matthew328
04-10-2012, 06:50 PM
Lol!!

regaleagle
04-11-2012, 12:24 AM
Getting the kids home safely, regardless of the circumstances, has to be the number one priority here if you are the one in charge. Anything less is considered "irresponsible" and cannot be tolerated by the school district. They are not in a position to allow any leniency in this regard, unfortunately.

Tejastrue
04-11-2012, 07:57 AM
Hempstead's loss, plain and simple. The coach, or coaches maybe, will be welcomed with open arms elsewhere, IMO. Mom and Dad of each boy should take a long look in the mirror before crucifying this coach. He didn't raise these boys. He's just a coach at the school they attend.

Getting the kids home safely, regardless of the circumstances, has to be the number one priority here if you are the one in charge. Anything less is considered "irresponsible" and cannot be tolerated by the school district. They are not in a position to allow any leniency in this regard, unfortunately.

Hmmm...this kind of contradicts what you said earlier. If this man is so irresponsible..how on earth will he ever work again.

Tejastrue
04-11-2012, 08:01 AM
In four years at East Bernard HIgh School back in the early 1970s-we ate out after a game-That was in Hallettsville after a football game in Shiner. We even had to wear a white shirt and tie that everyone brought

Was this comment Shiner induced? :dispntd:

regaleagle
04-11-2012, 08:28 AM
Yes it does, Tejastrue. Upon further reflection, I will have to admit that the school district was put in a tither here by the coach. I don't know if I agree with the way things are dealt with in today's high schools, but it is what it is. My personal feelings on what occurred has no bearing on what is reality for the school district. I guess you can take both of my posts and understand what my opinion is.

Tejastrue
04-11-2012, 08:39 AM
Yes it does, Tejastrue. Upon further reflection, I will have to admit that the school district was put in a tither here by the coach. I don't know if I agree with the way things are dealt with in today's high schools, but it is what it is. My personal feelings on what occurred has no bearing on what is reality for the school district. I guess you can take both of my posts and understand what my opinion is.

Understood. Appreciate the honest response.

hookandladder
04-11-2012, 10:53 AM
Like those kids have never been in a restaurant by themselves before!

You got any idea what it is like going to high school in Hempstead?

Those kids were not in any danger and the coach knew it, the parents know it, and the AD knows it.

I would have to agree with you on this, I would have called the police and then left their butt right there for their mommy or daddy to pick them up. I would not have allowed them on the bus even if the policeman talked them into it, act like a turd then get your parents to pick you up.

Cowboy_Up
04-11-2012, 03:57 PM
I've watched the Jones kid play ball for 3 years. Believe me, he can handle himself just fine. I don't think he was in any danger and I also don't think any coach was going to physically get him on the bus if he didn't want to go.

I don't think Hempstead is the easist place to coach and Sargent has done a great job there. This is Hempsteads loss.

zebrablue2
04-12-2012, 07:21 AM
I've watched the Jones kid play ball for 3 years. Believe me, he can handle himself just fine. I don't think he was in any danger and I also don't think any coach was going to physically get him on the bus if he didn't want to go.

I don't think Hempstead is the easist place to coach and Sargent has done a great job there. This is Hempsteads loss.

I worked some of coach Sargent's games back in 09-10 and he is a class act. What he did was wrong, ( made a big mistake) leaving those kids, but it is a huge loss for Hempstead. He will be hard to replace...

big daddy russ
04-13-2012, 01:52 AM
Tough to know everything that happened with the information at hand, but based on what's out there I've gotta agree with those who put the onus on the kids. Sargent made a terrible decision, but that's a tough spot to make a snap decision. Even though it's popular in our culture to confuse wisdom and judgment with wittiness and quick thinking, they rarely correlate.

As far as the coach goes, snap decisions aren't a good measuring stick for judgment. Seems his judgment is excellent, but he made a bad decision in a situation that was out of control.

hookandladder
04-17-2012, 04:02 PM
Coach Ricky Sargent is back at Hempstead, board voted to reinstate him as Head Football coach. Ass. Coaches are back as well.

Tejastrue
04-17-2012, 04:15 PM
Great news for Hempstead and good to see the school board do what was morally right.

http://www.kbtx.com/sports/headlines/Hempstead_ISD_To_Reinstate_Fired_Coach_Ricky_Sarge nt_147692645.html

Phil C
04-17-2012, 04:24 PM
That was good but I think a few days without pay and a strong reprimand would have been in order.

Also a stern reprimand to the students to behave in the future also should be done.

Tejastrue
04-17-2012, 04:49 PM
Something tells me that most will take something from this experience and be better for it.

Manso/V8
04-17-2012, 09:18 PM
Another chapter written in the saga of Six Shooter Junction, where reality prevails over political correctness.
Go Baaaaawwwbcats!

zebrablue2
04-17-2012, 09:29 PM
I worked some of coach Sargent's games back in 09-10 and he is a class act. What he did was wrong, ( made a big mistake) leaving those kids, but it is a huge loss for Hempstead. He will be hard to replace...

The board made the right choice. This man has as much control over these kids as possible. He learned and will move on, but let me say this, he has helped many a kid head the right direction at Hemp. God bless coach Sargent!!!!