PDA

View Full Version : SC Teams of Last 10 years---Offense or Defense better?

Bullaholic
04-05-2012, 10:07 AM
Of the SC teams of the last 10 years, which unit was the better---the offense or the defense? What made them what they were?

Year D1 D2

2011 Chapel Hill Wimberley

2010 Henderson Carthage

2009 Gilmer Carthage

2008 Prosper Carthage

2007 Liberty Hill Celina

2006 Liberty-Eylau Liberty Hill

2005 Wimberley Tatum

2004 Abilene Wylie Gilmer

2003 Gainesville Atlanta

2002 Everman Bandera

bigwood33
04-05-2012, 10:13 AM
LH had been able to score, and I mean really score, for a few years but when they got a defense that could give them a few stops, they won 2 rings. Their offense was still the better unit but their defense was really good too. Defense was the difference for them.

Prosper's defense was the difference when they won it. The QB was the heart and soul of the team but when they beat La Vega, the defense dominated.

That Gainesville team had some great offensive players but their defense was the difference...big, fast, and angry.

Pendragon13
04-05-2012, 10:20 AM
I'll only comment on two of those that I have vivid memories of..

2004- Abilene Wylie over Cuero
This was when Case Keenum showed the quick release and decision making that would make him one the most prolific passers in college history in the coming years. Offense hands down, but the defense was good enough to get the job done as well.

2009- Gilmer over Abilene Wylie
Gilmer faced a somewhat injury depleted Wylie squad, but it wouldn't have made a huge difference because Gilmer had Stump Godfrey at QB, and a very active and physical o-line. Gilmer's defense also had a ball hawking defensive backfield...but the nearly unstoppable offense (look at the scores from that season beginning to end) was their biggest strength that year.

Saggy Aggie
04-05-2012, 10:26 AM
2011 Chapel Hill was clearly an offensive juggernaut, but when they played 2 of the best defenses in the state (columbia & Alvarado in the semis and final), their defense is what got it done, holding the 2 to scores of 16 and 20 while the offense managed just 21 in both games.

However, when they played Navasota in the region final, it was the offense that was able to outscore Navasota 55-45 i think.

Their defense wasnt suffocating last year, but it was adequate. Their offense is what won state because they still managed to put 3 tds on 2 of the best defenses 3a has seen in a while.

They were so versatile, outscore some of the best offenses in shootouts, and slow it down and play a defensive minded game against those kinda teams.

Lion70
04-05-2012, 10:47 AM
henderson had a nasty defense but Offense was brutal. Del Barnes & company never gave up. ( Ask Chapel hill)

MGAR
04-05-2012, 11:09 AM
Going off what I could remember from these East Texas teams.

2011 Chapel Hill – Offensive team for sure, but the defense came through when it mattered in the playoffs.

2010 Henderson – Offense led by the coming out party of Del Barnes but it was the defense that stepped up in the title game.

2010 Carthage – Offense led by RB Hunter Holland and a under rated QB in Anthony Morgan.

2009 Gilmer – Stump Stump and more Stump. Offense led the way.

2009 Carthage – Defense first here. Offense still put up points but the defense won them games. Most notably the state title game.

2008 Carthage – Running back Dwight Smith and QB Si’ Blackshire.. and the best offensive line play as a group as I ever seen. Hands down offense.

2006 Liberty-Eylau – The defense gave up a lot of points throughout the season but the offense scored just enough to win. I’d say offense then defense.

2005 Tatum – Offense. Coach Andy Evans put the ball in the playmakers hands. Athletes all over the offensive side of the ball. Denarius Moore at WR was unstoppable.

2004 Gilmer – 100% offense with this team. Manny Johnson (WR for Oklahoma) was the trigger man and he made it look easy. Solid Oline and a serious WR weapon in Tay Bowser. IMO, the best of the Gilmer state title teams.

2003 Atlanta – As explosive as the Running Rabs offense was I gotta believe it was the defense that was the difference maker. To this day, they had the fastest 3A defense I’ve ever seen.

Gone Fishing
04-08-2012, 09:55 PM
I think Wimberley in 05 had a better offense than defense but the defense was darn good. The 2011 team for sure had a better defense than offense. You could tell that as the teams we played got better in the playoffs. Offense got shut down some but defense didn't miss a beat and even got better against better teams. ( except 5 minutes in the Taylor game. )