PDA

View Full Version : High School Athletes and work over summer (poll)

If you student athlete Plays summer basketball for his school travel team and plays 7 on 7 for his school football team. Makes good grades all year long and stays out of trouble do you think they should have to work? Was looking at the schedule and there is not one free weekend off then 2 a days starts in August. And this dosent take into consideration practice and going to weight room all summer. Should this be considered his job?:helpme:

Manso/V8
04-01-2012, 10:10 PM
Yeah he should work. With his schedule, it would probably be tough for him to work a regular part-time job. He should haul hay, contract out to mow lawns, or something to pay for his fuel and spending money. I see a lot parents hand out money to their kids, give them about everything they want, and from what I have seen, they aren't really doing them any favors. If he doesn't work, he is and/or will be spoiled, and likely develop a sense of entitlement.

Appreciate the response. Kids today are spoiled for sure.

coachc45
04-01-2012, 10:29 PM
Neither of my boys worked in High School. I figured they have the rest of their lives to be adults, why should I force it on the early. I did teach my kids about responsibility and they are not spoiled at all. They both worked hard at studies and sports and developed a work ethic through those things. If they wanted extra money then they either found an odd job or saved birthday and christmas money. I paid for their gas, car, and everyday expenses.

yellaseeker
04-01-2012, 10:54 PM
Ok, here's my view. To me, working may help with expenses but, the most gained from it, is responsibility. I believe that if it is the only way for an athlete to participate in whatever sports they chose by helping the parents to afford it, then you do what you have to do. If that's not the case and the kid truly has a full schedule year around, i don't see making a kid fit in a job for the sake of paying their own way. As far as i'm concern, if my kid plays sports year around, keeps up with his chores around the house, makes A's all during the school year, is respectful to us and others and stays clear of trouble, then i feel like the responsiblity part has been met and i see no need in filling up what little bit of time he has left by making them hold a job. This is something we had a talk about long ago. I explained to him that if the things i just mentioned stayed taken care of that my wallet would remain open to a certain extent and if they didn't, it would slam shut immediately. So far so good. I left out one stipulation, and that is not to make me a grandpa until his education is complete. Unfortunately for me as a kid, my parents just barely made ends meet so i had to go to work which caused my grades to suffer and eventually narrowed my sports down to a seasonal schedule. This is why i believe that with a kid that has their head screwed on straight and a tough schedule, needs to have a little fun/social time in their life. Not saying it's a bad idea if they find the time to mow a yard or two to make a little spending cash to buy what they want.. That is what mine does, one day every two weeks. Bottom line is, it depends on the kid, the financial situation and, the schedule.

Saggy Aggie
04-01-2012, 11:52 PM
My dad usually paid for most things I needed, but I was also making very good grades in school and staying out of trouble.

However I did have a job throughout the school year and summer once I started driving and I used that money to buy the things that I wanted and I also saved like 2000.00$.

I think more than anything it helped me develop good money habits, responsibility and I appreciated the money my dad did give me more. I didnt have to work for everything but I did work for some things. I think it worked out pretty good for both of us.

defense51
04-02-2012, 12:27 AM
Neither of my boys worked in High School. I figured they have the rest of their lives to be adults, why should I force it on the early. I did teach my kids about responsibility and they are not spoiled at all. They both worked hard at studies and sports and developed a work ethic through those things. If they wanted extra money then they either found an odd job or saved birthday and christmas money. I paid for their gas, car, and everyday expenses.
I agree, neither of my kids have a "job". My wife and I agree that they do not need a job as long as they maintain their grades, act accordingly, do their chores, all while playing sports. They do not have alot of free time as is, and will have the next 40-50 years or more to work.

Ok, here's my view. To me, working may help with expenses but, the most gained from it, is responsibility. I believe that if it is the only way for an athlete to participate in whatever sports they chose by helping the parents to afford it, then you do what you have to do. If that's not the case and the kid truly has a full schedule year around, i don't see making a kid fit in a job for the sake of paying their own way. As far as i'm concern, if my kid plays sports year around, keeps up with his chores around the house, makes A's all during the school year, is respectful to us and others and stays clear of trouble, then i feel like the responsiblity part has been met and i see no need in filling up what little bit of time he has left by making them hold a job. This is something we had a talk about long ago. I explained to him that if the things i just mentioned stayed taken care of that my wallet would remain open to a certain extent and if they didn't, it would slam shut immediately. So far so good. I left out one stipulation, and that is not to make me a grandpa until his education is complete. Unfortunately for me as a kid, my parents just barely made ends meet so i had to go to work which caused my grades to suffer and eventually narrowed my sports down to a seasonal schedule. This is why i believe that with a kid that has their head screwed on straight and a tough schedule, needs to have a little fun/social time in their life. Not saying it's a bad idea if they find the time to mow a yard or two to make a little spending cash to buy what they want.. That is what mine does, one day every two weeks. Bottom line is, it depends on the kid, the financial situation and, the schedule.

I agree with everything you said about responsibility. And kids with super busy schedules that spend all the free time they have at practice or in the gym don't have time to work a real job. Good grades and dedication to your schools sports program take free time away. If parents can afford it and kids deserve it I don't see a need for a regular job.
I also agree and need to have a talk about helping take care of our property as part of his working. Thanks for your input.

hookandladder
04-02-2012, 06:21 AM

I agree with you also however my son did work part time as summer scheduled allowed,it was his own decision to make some extra money. His summer schedule just does not allow him to have a full time job and as long as he does what he needs to do in the classroom, football , baseball offseason and staying out of trouble I will not make him work, it was part of the deal I made with him long ago.

Farmersfan
04-02-2012, 08:30 AM
I think if a parent feels working a job in the summertime is a valid character builder for kids then they should work a job. Having a job or not having a job isn't the deciding factor on how a kid turns out. It's how the PARENTS handle the job/no job situation that will teach a kid what is important. Those spoiled adults that can't cope with life that needed a job in the summer when they were kids to teach them responsibility were probably spending most of their days sleeping till noon and then playing Xbox for the rest of the day...... Having a full time schedule of sports and school related activities can teach as much about responsibility as a job can if the parents apply an importance to excel in it like they would a job. Just my opinion!

pancho villa
04-02-2012, 08:41 AM
Lifguarding was a great summer job for my kids who were involved year round in sports. My kids also had to do yard work and anything else around the house that needed done. I sure do miss them now they are gone because it takes me 2 1/2 hours to do what we used to get done in 40 minutes.

hookandladder
04-02-2012, 08:47 AM
Lifguarding was a great summer job for my kids who were involved year round in sports. My kids also had to do yard work and anything else around the house that needed done. I sure do miss them now they are gone because it takes me 2 1/2 hours to do what we used to get done in 40 minutes.

Damn a good solid post from Pancho, Congrats.

pancho villa
04-02-2012, 08:49 AM
Damn a good solid post from Pancho, Congrats.

Standaround still is boring!

hookandladder
04-02-2012, 11:05 AM
Standaround still is boring!

Most Non Athletic people feel this way when they cannot play a certain sport, don't feel bad it happens to a lot of people. Hang in there.

regaleagle
04-02-2012, 11:26 AM
My son attended a high school where most of his friends were from upper income families and didn't work. I made sure he recognized how our situation was different, and what he needed to do to maybe one day be able to live as they do. He played football, baseball, and ran track, 7 on 7, summer baseball, mowed our 3 acres weekly, helped me in my contracting business as I taught him sales and how to deal with labor and materials, and he also made all-state scholastic in football. Today he is a percentage owner in my small contracting co, and helps w/ sales & mngmt. He has one year of college left, has paid off his 09 car, his student loan, owes nobody, owns a housefull of furniture(bought new @ wholesale) and has $20k in the bank to pay for his last year of college. He will work thru the summer with me and return to graduate in 5 yrs, working w/ me for one year to not owe $$$ and actually have $$$ when he graduates. This arrangement between us has worked out immensely well and has put him ahead of just attending college straight thru. He is a business marketing major and by working w/ me in the business, has gained an education he will not get from the classroom. The market is his classroom. I feel he will far exceed what I was able to do with my humble beginnings.

pancho villa
04-02-2012, 11:40 AM
Most Non Athletic people feel this way when they cannot play a certain sport, don't feel bad it happens to a lot of people. Hang in there.

Still boring!

Txbroadcaster
04-02-2012, 12:10 PM
This is not a cut and dry yes or no issue

I never worked a "job" in HS outside of helping my grandmother on her farm and umping baseball, football and soccer...of course back then the cash we made was non taxable for the most part and gas and food prices was cheaper so officating 10 games a week at 25-35 a game went a long long way....but the time I put in doing off season work for football, playing summer baseball, helping my grandmother and officiating and coaching another league team was far and above a 40 hour work week. So no I did not learn to be responsible thru flipping burgers or stocking shelves..I learned how to to juggle my time to do the best I could at each different thing

yellaseeker
04-02-2012, 09:46 PM
I agree with everything you said about responsibility. And kids with super busy schedules that spend all the free time they have at practice or in the gym don't have time to work a real job. Good grades and dedication to your schools sports program take free time away. If parents can afford it and kids deserve it I don't see a need for a regular job.
I also agree and need to have a talk about helping take care of our property as part of his working. Thanks for your input.

Yeah, i definately agree with boys and girls doing manual labor around and in the house. Mine doesn't get paid to do it nor do they receive an allowance. They know the greenbacks i shell out on sports equipment and fees, gas and spending money and so forth are paid for with their efforts towards helping keep everything tidy at the homefront. I firmly believe that adequate social time is detramental to a kids development and being totally strapped down for too long could possibly yield negative results. By the way, very good thread. I'm always curious as to how others set their standards at home in respect to their children and i think most of us can learn a little here and there from others experiences, good or bad.

raider red 2000
04-02-2012, 10:52 PM

Is this "lifeguarding" what some call keeping people's hands out of your buffets. I would imagine you could hurt someone if a they got in your way.

Manso/V8
04-03-2012, 01:23 AM
I understand the comments about having a full schedule, keeping their grades up, staying out of trouble, helping around the house, etc......and those are all vailid points. The issue I have are parents who seem to give their kids unlimited funds to fulfill their every material whim and desire. I feel that doing some odd jobs, be it mowing lawns, umpiring baseball, or whatever to earn some of their own money benefits the kid, gives them a sense of accomplishment, and gives them a taste for what it is like to work for someone besides their parents. I have provided my kids with basic support for their activities, but when they want something special, they will work and save to buy it. One of my kids even thanked me for not "giving" him everything and making him work to buy things.

Sville
04-03-2012, 11:34 AM
I worked through summer in my high school years from 90-93. I had a grandfather that was very blessed financially and a father that didn't do to bad selling cars for Bruner's Dodge either. The summer between my frosh and soph year I built fence for my uncle's fencing business. Nothing like digging post holes and driving T-post to get you in shape. The summer between my soph and junior year was prolly the hardest I worked through my high school years. I worked for a good friends father's construction company. He let us show up to work at 10am so we could get our summer lifting work done in the mornings. The summer between my jr and sr year I worked for my grandad on his ranch properties doing a little of everything. All those summers during hay cutting time I would also work till late in the night hauling hay as well. I only played football, and was a lineman. They also didn't have 7 on 7 back then. The weekends were for fun. I guarantee you I never had a problem with two-a-days after working outside like that all summer and I think I am a better man for it. I am not saying it is the right situation for every kid but it aint gonna hurt them either.

Let me add that it also taught me the value of dollar very early when you work your ass off for it. I also took pride in the fact that I made enough money during the summer to pay for my vehicle insurance and gas money for the year when my dad or grandad could of easily paid it for me.