PDA

View Full Version : Thug?

coach
03-29-2012, 08:38 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/highschool-prep-rally/south-carolina-teen-brutal-soccer-attack-earns-assault-103322121.html

jason
03-29-2012, 09:03 PM
wonder if al sharpton or jesse jackson will come to the white girls defense...
or was it a racially motivated trip and the beat down was self defense ??

regaleagle
03-29-2012, 11:09 PM
Totally thug, IMO. No excuses, no leniency. This is an element in today's society that has no place in sports. I hope the perpetrator recieves the full extent of punishment allowed. She deserves every bit of the treatment she so willingly dished out. That'll "learn" her, as they say.

LionFan72
03-30-2012, 04:45 AM
Calls for total social retraining and a new field of educational training paid for by taxpayers, 90 days in local jail..........thug!! And a fair fight a$$-whooping.

bobcat1
03-30-2012, 05:23 AM
Calls for total social retraining and a new field of educational training paid for by taxpayers, 90 days in local jail..........thug!! And a fair fight a$$-whooping. I agree.

ctown81
03-30-2012, 01:43 PM
Thug? We do not have enough info to decide that. No one has any idea what type of trash talk and physicallity was going on prior. How many times have you seen football players into it and one loses his cool and gets a penalty but the replays show the other players hand in it.

number 2- no one has ever gotten angry in the history of high school sports and started fight?

ctown81
03-30-2012, 01:45 PM
Totally thug, IMO. No excuses, no leniency. This is an element in today's society that has no place in sports. I hope the perpetrator recieves the full extent of punishment allowed. She deserves every bit of the treatment she so willingly dished out. That'll "learn" her, as they say.

I usually agree with your post but not on this one. We only saw a snapshot.

Bullaholic
03-30-2012, 02:49 PM
Takedown by the hair, plus 11 unreturned punches to the face = way over the top.

ctown81
03-30-2012, 03:02 PM
Takedown by the hair, plus 11 unreturned punches to the face = way over the top.

So if she gave the girl a few chances to hit her back that would not had been over the top? Most girls when they fight take each other down by the hair. This is definitely being blown out of proportion.

Txbroadcaster
03-30-2012, 03:15 PM
So if she gave the girl a few chances to hit her back that would not had been over the top? Most girls when they fight take each other down by the hair. This is definitely being blown out of proportion.

not seeing how a violent attack is being taken out or proportion.

ronwx5x
03-30-2012, 03:24 PM
If a trial were held and the only evidnce were the video, what do you believe the verdict would be? To those who say we don't know what was said, that would be immaterial and might be mitigating only in the sentence if found guilty.

ctown81
03-30-2012, 03:40 PM
If a trial were held and the only evidnce were the video, what do you believe the verdict would be? To those who say we don't know what was said, that would be immaterial and might be mitigating only in the sentence if found guilty.

The verdict would be GUILTY GUILTY GUILTY, but that doesn't mean it wasn't provoked at some point. Was it provoked? I don't know. As for the use of the word thug, I could write a page on why she's not a thug. She was a little girl who got angry and acted in a very immature way. She should be punished by the school, but I don't believe legal should be involved.

Txbroadcaster
03-30-2012, 04:15 PM
The verdict would be GUILTY GUILTY GUILTY, but that doesn't mean it wasn't provoked at some point. Was it provoked? I don't know. As for the use of the word thug, I could write a page on why she's not a thug. She was a little girl who got angry and acted in a very immature way. She should be punished by the school, but I don't believe legal should be involved.

I used to feel that way, but if she did that on the street she would be arrested. Just because it is on a sports field IMO should not change that

Tejastrue
03-30-2012, 04:19 PM

Immature, yes indeed, but that little girl is 18, old enough to enlist in the military, which is maybe where they should send her. I do think we use the word 'thug' much too freely. Maybe 'punk' is more suitable. Lol...

ctown81
03-30-2012, 04:27 PM
I used to feel that way, but if she did that on the street she would be arrested. Just because it is on a sports field IMO should not change that

That's true but if I through of 95 mph fastball at your head on the streets I'd be arrested for that too, probably for attempted murder, but if MLB pitchers can be held liable in court that opens up too many doors, i.e. helmet to helmet hits, hockey fights etc....

vet93
03-30-2012, 05:52 PM
Not buying your arguments. The "foul" by the other player was hardly in the same category as a 95 mile/hr fastball or throwing a bat or even grabbing the facemask or giving someone a forearm. Every person who has participated in sports has had to deal with the aggravation of being tripped or even someone trash talking. While it is understandable that a person might react negatively to this type of behavior, that in no way excuses what this young lady did. If we keep excusing this type of reaction or what Suh did to the offensive lineman that he was struggling with, then we are by default giving tacit approval of such action and the violence will continue to escalate. If this means that a few people are punished who threw the "second" punch, then so be it. While "sparring" and high emotion are part of sports, there is a line that can be crossed and this young lady crossed it. When we start excusing this type of behavior then we take a step towards a slippery slope that could have very negative consequences for the sports that we have all enjoy.

In regards to the criminal charges, I would likely pursue them if I was a parent as well. There is the punch thrown in the heat of the moment, but the continued bludgeoning of an opponent who is not retaliating is on another level. High sticking in hockey is a foul that will get you the penalty box. High sticking and then beating your opponent with the butt of your stick is criminal. Charging the mound after a brush back is part of the game and will get you thrown out of the game. Charging the mound with the bat and hitting the pitcher with it is criminal...see the difference.

That's true but if I through of 95 mph fastball at your head on the streets I'd be arrested for that too, probably for attempted murder, but if MLB pitchers can be held liable in court that opens up too many doors, i.e. helmet to helmet hits, hockey fights etc....

Tejastrue
03-30-2012, 06:04 PM

Where you been? If enough mailicious intent is found, pro players can be found liable and criminal charges will apply.

ctown81
03-30-2012, 06:06 PM
Where you been? If enough mailicious intent is found, pro players can be found liable and criminal charges will apply.

Obviously under a rock. Can I please get some examples?

ctown81
03-30-2012, 06:13 PM
Not buying your arguments. The "foul" by the other player was hardly in the same category as a 95 mile/hr fastball or throwing a bat or even grabbing the facemask or giving someone a forearm. Every person who has participated in sports has had to deal with the aggravation of being tripped or even someone trash talking. While it is understandable that a person might react negatively to this type of behavior, that in no way excuses what this young lady did. If we keep excusing this type of reaction or what Suh did to the offensive lineman that he was struggling with, then we are by default giving tacit approval of such action and the violence will continue to escalate. If this means that a few people are punished who threw the "second" punch, then so be it. While "sparring" and high emotion are part of sports, there is a line that can be crossed and this young lady crossed it. When we start excusing this type of behavior then we take a step towards a slippery slope that could have very negative consequences for the sports that we have all enjoy.

In regards to the criminal charges, I would likely pursue them if I was a parent as well. There is the punch thrown in the heat of the moment, but the continued bludgeoning of an opponent who is not retaliating is on another level. High sticking in hockey is a foul that will get you the penalty box. High sticking and then beating your opponent with the butt of your stick is criminal. Charging the mound after a brush back is part of the game and will get you thrown out of the game. Charging the mound with the bat and hitting the pitcher with it is criminal...see the difference.

I never put the "foul" in the same category as a fastball, you must have misread. As for a punch being thrown in the heat of the moment, no one punches once and stop. THey punch once and as they go for a second punch their team mates break it up to avoid a 15yard penalty. If the refs and that lady that broke up could have move faster this wouldn't even been a story.

Tejastrue
03-30-2012, 06:23 PM
Obviously under a rock. Can I please get some examples?

Well, let us use hockey for example, most recent is Marty McSorley of the Boston Bruins who basically went up side the head on Vancouver's Donald Brashear with a hockey stick.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Yvt0B4RXWc&feature=player_embedded

This IS Wiki I know but it is what happened.

Assault incident on February 21, 2000, McSorley, playing for the Boston Bruins, swung his stick and hit Donald Brashear in the head with 3 seconds left in the game. Brashear fell backwards and hit his head hard on the ice as a result of the stick's contact with his head and helmet. As a result of the fall and hard contact with the ice, Brashear lost consciousness and suffered a grade 3 concussion.
As a result of the stick incident, McSorley was charged with assault and suspended by the NHL for the remainder of the 1999–2000 season (including playoffs) missing 23 games. On October 4, 2000, a jury found McSorley guilty of assault with a weapon for his attack on Brashear. He was sentenced to 18 months probation. The trial was the first for an on-ice attack by an NHL player since 1988.
After his assault conviction his NHL suspension was extended to one full year (through February 21, 2001). McSorley would never play in another NHL game.

Tejastrue
03-30-2012, 06:44 PM
I had forgotten about this one in 04.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fz9RE9RGrVY

2004 - After repeated failed attempts at instigating a fight, Todd Bertuzzi of the Vancouver Canucks sucker punched Steve Moore of the Colorado Avalanche in the back of the head, knocking Moore unconscious. The pair then fell to the ice with Bertuzzi's weight crushing Moore face-first into the ice, followed by several players from both teams further piling onto the melee. Moore sustained three fractured vertebrae, a grade 3 concussion, vertebral ligament damage, stretching of the brachial plexus nerves, and facial lacerations. Bertuzzi was charged by police, and given a conditional discharge after pleading guilty to assault causing bodily harm. His suspension resulted in a loss of $500,000 in pay and the Canucks were fined $250,000. Bertuzzi was re-instated in 2005; Moore has not played since and made several unsuccessful attempts at civil litigation.

ctown81
03-30-2012, 06:47 PM
I had forgotten about this one in 04.

2004 - After repeated failed attempts at instigating a fight, Todd Bertuzzi of the Vancouver Canucks sucker punched Steve Moore of the Colorado Avalanche in the back of the head, knocking Moore unconscious. The pair then fell to the ice with Bertuzzi's weight crushing Moore face-first into the ice, followed by several players from both teams further piling onto the melee. Moore sustained three fractured vertebrae, a grade 3 concussion, vertebral ligament damage, stretching of the brachial plexus nerves, and facial lacerations. Bertuzzi was charged by police, and given a conditional discharge after pleading guilty to assault causing bodily harm. His suspension resulted in a loss of $500,000 in pay and the Canucks were fined $250,000. Bertuzzi was re-instated in 2005; Moore has not played since and made several unsuccessful attempts at civil litigation.

Oh ok. I see why I didn't know, I don't do hockey. Never heard of it so I stand corrected.

Tejastrue
03-30-2012, 07:47 PM
Oh ok. I see why I didn't know, I don't do hockey. Never heard of it so I stand corrected.

So glad you didn't call me out on MLB or NFL..I have nothing. Lol..

Manso/V8
03-31-2012, 12:36 AM
While it is understandable that a person might react negatively to this type of behavior, that in no way excuses what this young lady did.

young lady?

Manso/V8
03-31-2012, 12:37 AM
At first I thought it was video of a former La Marque soccer player.
This is bad and can not be tolerated.

ctown81
03-31-2012, 09:44 AM
So glad you didn't call me out on MLB or NFL..I have nothing. Lol..

I was pretty tempted, but was more concerned about your safety. Hate to imagine what they would do to you in Wimberly for even just mentioning hockey lol.

ctown81
03-31-2012, 09:48 AM
young lady?

ok my use of the word "lady" is a bit of a stretch as was the word "thug"

StangEm
04-02-2012, 11:07 AM
This is just sad. I don't know about it being labeled as a thug thing to do but it was way too much of an overreaction to something that is part of the game. I've never liked soccer nor have I ever liked many kids who play soccer. (BTW....that's not a racially biased comment...for the record)

Txbroadcaster
04-02-2012, 11:15 AM
[QUOTE=StangEm;1668738]. I don't know about it being labeled as a thug thing to do but it was way too much of an overreaction to something that is part of the game. QUOTE]

How is that part of the game?!?!

Bullaholic
04-02-2012, 11:17 AM
[QUOTE=StangEm;1668738]. I don't know about it being labeled as a thug thing to do but it was way too much of an overreaction to something that is part of the game. QUOTE]

How is that part of the game?!?!

I think he's talking about the tripping by the other girl, TxB.

Txbroadcaster
04-02-2012, 11:20 AM
[QUOTE=Txbroadcaster;1668741]

yea read it wrong lol

anyone think the tripping was not even a trip?

Tejastrue
04-02-2012, 12:52 PM
[QUOTE=Bullaholic;1668742]

yea read it wrong lol

There was no intentional trip. Not sure if they even made contact.

StangEm
04-02-2012, 01:25 PM
[QUOTE=Txbroadcaster;1668741]

That's what I meant........

StangEm
04-02-2012, 01:27 PM
[QUOTE=Bullaholic;1668742]

yea read it wrong lol

I'm not even sure there was any contact.