PDA

View Full Version : Sweetwater Is Open

Matthew328
03-26-2012, 01:38 PM
Craig Slaughter leaving Sweetwater for Llano

Gsquared
03-26-2012, 01:47 PM
I should have known something was up in Sweetwater. Guy that sits next to me at work was on the phone with Bob Ledbetter a few hours ago and Ledbetter told him he was on his way to Sweetwater.

Matthew328
03-26-2012, 01:49 PM
Wow Sweetwater's gonna use Ledbetter's firm also?? Interesting...

Gsquared
03-26-2012, 01:50 PM
I assume thats why he is on his way out there. Funny, the day Dennison was announced, Ledbetter was on his way to Snyder. I see a pattern!

Bullaholic
03-26-2012, 02:02 PM
Black Magic's big chance?

mustang84
03-26-2012, 02:52 PM
Well sure wish it wasn't true but it is. Now we have to start over again.

Bosqueville
03-26-2012, 04:10 PM
Sweetwater for Llano??? And Llano being the smallest school in that power district?? I don't get it!

Matthew328
03-26-2012, 04:40 PM
$$$$ is my guess..

wildstangs
03-26-2012, 05:44 PM
Craig Slaughter leaving Sweetwater for Llano

Tough place to be in for now - declining enrollment and one of the toughest 3A districts in the state the last few years, and looks like it will be just as tough for the next two. Seems like Sweetwater was well coached and playing as best they could with the hand they were dealt. Hope the district makes a great hire and things pick back up in Mustang Country.

bigwood33
03-26-2012, 06:39 PM
That may be a little premature. If Coach Slaughter just tenured his resignation, then the Sweetwater board certainly hasn't had time to do anything like hiring a search firm. In order for Bob to get these gigs, he has to sell his services to the board, which involves getting in front of them. I am sure that he just sees an opportunity and is trying to get his foot in the door.

Matthew328
03-26-2012, 06:56 PM
in talking to Coach Slaughter this is something he's known about for a few days....maybe Ledbetter was on his way to make his pitch??

Eagle1
03-26-2012, 07:08 PM
How was Sweetwater's 7th, 8th, 9th and JV this last year? What does the future look like?

bolshavik
03-26-2012, 07:38 PM
This whole Ledbetter firm deal is scary. I mean, I understand it can be a way to protect the applicants from getting their names out in the public but at the same time it puts the Ledbetter firm in a great position of power. If you are in good with them do you have a better chance of getting an interview? What are Supts paid to do? When will all positions be out sourced for others to find?

bigwood33
03-26-2012, 07:39 PM
in talking to Coach Slaughter this is something he's known about for a few days....maybe Ledbetter was on his way to make his pitch??
That is how it usually goes. If he knows about a coaching change he goes to meet with the superintendent and tries to get on the agenda to make a presentation to the board. The board does the hiring.

Heffelfinger
03-27-2012, 01:46 PM
Anyone know if Hasse's sells cargo pants?

stang92
03-27-2012, 08:18 PM
Sweetwater has been down for a few years and they don't pay well

wildstangs
03-28-2012, 06:30 PM
Have all the Sweetwater fans left this site? I check in once every week or so and figured there would be a bit more speculation on this job. Where is everyone?

mustang84
03-29-2012, 08:03 AM
I am still here just hoping they will fine us a good coach.

RoyceTTU
03-29-2012, 08:04 AM
This really hoovers because Sweetwater seemed to be up-ticking a bit. Still had a ways to go but they were going in the correct direction.

mustang84
03-29-2012, 10:26 AM
There are some good ahtletes coming up. Sucks to have to start over learning new system.

Phantom Stang
03-29-2012, 12:44 PM
Update: Slaughter resigns to accept post at Llano
March 26, 2012
By
Ron Howell

Craig Slaughter, Sweetwater High School's head football coach and athletic director the past three years, announced today that he is resigning to accept a similar position at Llano.
Slaughter has posted just a 9-21 record at Sweetwater, with three straight sub-.500 seasons and no playoff appearances, since replacing the highly-successful Kent Jackson in 2009 at a school known for its winning football tradition.
However, he had engineered remarkable turnarounds at his two previous head coaching jobs. First there was a four-year stint from 2002-05 at Hearne, where Slaughter had a 24-19 record at a school that had won just 24 total games in the previous 11 seasons. That was followed by a three-year stint from 2006-08 at Clyde, another perennial loser which went 23-12 and made the playoffs all three years under Slaughter including its first outright district title in 53 years.
It was a different story at Sweetwater, which went just 1-9 in Slaughter's first season, though it did improve to 4-6 in both 2010 and 2011.
The Mustangs also won just two district games in his tenure — albeit while competing as one of the smallest schools in one of the toughest Class 3A football districts in the state — after making the playoffs each of the previous eight years under Jackson.
But Slaughter, whose first day at Llano will be April 9, had nothing but good things to say about his time here.
"I'd like to thank the people of Sweetwater and the administration," he said. "They've been top notch. Sometimes you have to make tough decisions. I just felt it was the right time to give someone else a chance. I wish everyone here nothing but success. There are no hard feelings.
"If you go 9-21, a lot of people might think it would be terrible (coaching) in Sweetwater. But the support here has been incredible. It's been a wonderful three years and I'll miss my time here."
Sweetwater ISD superintendent Terry Pittman expressed similar appreciation to Slaughter, noting that the coach's contract had been renewed by the board just last month.
"When I hired Craig three years ago I was excited about what he could do and I never lost that enthusiasm," Pittman said. "I think he's done a great job. He's been in a tough district, but the kids did a good job every time they went out there. It's been a frustrating thing for him because he's always won."
Pittman said the Llano school board is expected to formally approve Slaughter's hiring when it meets next Monday. Sweetwater trustees will meet tonight, Pittman said, and personnel matters will be among the items on their agenda.
Slaughter's last day in Sweetwater is expected to be April 6, and an interim will be named until a new head football coach and athletic director is hired. However, Pittman said he has already received several calls about the job and that the opening will be posted on several websites immediately. The superintendent said he hopes to have a new person in place here by the first week of May, and expects a lot of applicants before a decision is reached.

http://sweetwaterreporter.com/content/update-slaughter-resigns-accept-post-llano

Victory10
03-29-2012, 12:54 PM
Glen Jones from brady would be a good one for the Mustangs!!!!

stang92
03-29-2012, 07:50 PM
With Sweetwater's falling enrollment and being in the same district with Snyder, Wylie, and Monahans do they have a legit chance at a playoff spot anytime soon? Someone told me they had to combine their JV and freshman teams last year into one team due to low numbers. Is this true?

cr180t
03-30-2012, 05:21 PM
Heard there was a DC from up the road in the mix. That could make things very interesting. Probally one of the best defensive minds around. He is great for kids.

injuredinmelee
03-30-2012, 08:49 PM
Heard there was a DC from up the road in the mix. That could make things very interesting. Probally one of the best defensive minds around. He is great for kids.
nice code coach

cr180t
03-30-2012, 11:45 PM
Code?

tog
04-01-2012, 05:41 PM
I am sure it will attract some good folks.

mustang84
04-02-2012, 08:18 AM
Anyone got names of any of the coaches that are being interviewed?

Bullaholic
04-02-2012, 09:13 AM
Hope Sweetwater finds a good fit for their program. The Mustangs have always been one of those football programs that has a lot of tradition and a good fan following. I would like to see them get on the winning road again. Maybe there is a another generation of Carillos coming up.

Victory10
04-02-2012, 01:33 PM
Any names? who r the front runner?

Other Good job Brazosport/Conroe Oak Ridge/Klein Forrest(any news)