PDA

View Full Version : High School "Bounty" Program

StangEm
03-22-2012, 08:36 AM
What's your take?
Is giving high school kids helmet stickers for the "Big Hit" in a game considered a bounty?

BEAST
03-22-2012, 08:39 AM
What's your take?
Is giving high school kids helmet stickers for the "Big Hit" in a game considered a bounty?

Helmet stickers are not just for big hits. Mainly they are for good plays made. Could be any kind of play.

BEAST

regaleagle
03-22-2012, 08:56 AM
Exactly!!! Last year, Aune and our recievers had many on their helmets, as well as our running backs. They don't usually play defense, so I doubt that they earned those stickers by hitting people. In high school, at least from what I remember, they are rewarded for making outstanding plays.

GrTigers6
03-22-2012, 09:20 AM
What's your take?
Is giving high school kids helmet stickers for the "Big Hit" in a game considered a bounty?There is nothing wrong with a big hit. Its the type of hit. Directed at the head or back on purpose to injure are ones they are talking about. Late hits or hits on players away from the play are what should never be rewarded but reprimanded.

Buckeye1980
03-22-2012, 12:05 PM
Once again , I will say this. I do NOT like helmet stickers because they promote induvidual reward in a team sport.

MGAR
03-22-2012, 12:10 PM
Once again , I will say this. I do NOT like helmet stickers because they promote induvidual reward in a team sport.

Not all stickers are individual.

GrTigers6
03-22-2012, 12:14 PM
Once again , I will say this. I do NOT like helmet stickers because they promote induvidual reward in a team sport.Whats wrong with that?

msu97
03-22-2012, 02:18 PM
when the NFL throws a flag or fines recievers, backs or whoever for crackback blocks, which are great in my opinion and you always tell kids to keep their head on a swivel, but those are more dangerous than what defensive players get fined and penalized for, then I will take the NFL serious on wanting to prevent injuries

Maroon87
03-22-2012, 03:11 PM

We got the message the first time.

MGAR
03-22-2012, 03:25 PM
Senator Dick Durbin of Illinois is calling a hearing on bounties in pro sports. Shouldn't he be worried about other things, like GAS PRICES!

Maroon87
03-22-2012, 03:31 PM
Senator Dick Durbin of Illinois is calling a hearing on bounties in pro sports. Shouldn't he be worried about other things, like GAS PRICES!

Yep...it was only a matter of time before it happened.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/7722853/new-orleans-saints-senator-dick-durbin-sets-hearing-bounties-nfl

Looking4number8
03-22-2012, 06:37 PM
What's your take?
Ask the Iowa Park coach, he is the king of encouraging dirty hits to try to knock a star player out of the game. Still think we should have hung 100 points on his sorry a$$

Old Tiger
03-22-2012, 06:41 PM
Once again , I will say this. I do NOT like helmet stickers because they promote induvidual reward in a team sport.it takes 11 individuals doing their own job for a team to be good.

bigwood33
03-22-2012, 07:42 PM
Very few of our stickers are for individual efforts. Almost all of them are for reaching team goals: , a win gets a sticker, holding teams to under 100 yards rushing, 150 passing, 19 or fewer points (another one for under 10 and 1 more for a shut out), etc. On offense, again, most are team related: rushing over 130 yards, passing over 175, scoring 21, 35, or 42. Of course there are individual stickers for causing a fumble, recovering a fumble, intercepting a pass, getting 10, 15, or 20 tackles, scoring a TD, rushing for 100 or more yards, etc.
If we lose, no one gets stickers.
BTW, some of the kids love them and some don't care. My son only put team stickers on his helmet.

LH Panther Mom
03-22-2012, 09:07 PM
Not every team ONLY gives them for individual performance. I'd have to get ALL the rules from one of my boys, but I know if we do not win, there are no stickers. Our OL guys get a sticker for each RB that gets over 100 yds in a game. The guys on the XP & FG team get a sticker if ALL are made. Yes, there are individual stickers as well, but many of ours are because of team effort.

Roughneck93
03-22-2012, 10:09 PM
I see OSU is doing something different with their stickers now. :D

http://2media.nowpublic.net/images//1f/fb/1ffb7c3c73222e444cd293911339acf0.jpg

R4Editor
03-22-2012, 11:33 PM
I see OSU is doing something different with their stickers now. :D

http://2media.nowpublic.net/images//1f/fb/1ffb7c3c73222e444cd293911339acf0.jpg

Notice the moneybags:1popcorn:

That's to show how many times they have made money from sells and taking money from boosters.

buckeyebob
03-23-2012, 05:04 AM

Nope...gas prices are too complicated & boring...grilling athletes & coaches is more fun.

Sville
03-23-2012, 09:27 AM
There is no "i" in team but there is in Win!

BEAST
03-23-2012, 09:29 AM

Very true, however the letters that make the word me can be found in team. LOL

BEAST

MGAR
03-23-2012, 09:30 AM

and there is a M and E in team.. :clap:

StangEm
03-23-2012, 10:55 AM
[QUOTE=BEAST;1667119]Helmet stickers are not just for big hits. Mainly they are for good plays made. Could be any kind of play.

No, I understand that. I guess what my question really is: If a school has a column on their goal board for a "Big Hit", would you consider that a "bounty" of sorts? To me it's about how it's presented to the kids and what the requirements that the school has in place for the big hit.

Old LB
03-23-2012, 12:39 PM
[QUOTE=BEAST;1667119]Helmet stickers are not just for big hits. Mainly they are for good plays made. Could be any kind of play.

No, I understand that. I guess what my question really is: If a school has a column on their goal board for a "Big Hit", would you consider that a "bounty" of sorts? To me it's about how it's presented to the kids and what the requirements that the school has in place for the big hit.

When I was in school the coaches encouraged big hits, they always said put the Riddell on the front of your helmet in their chest and try to drive it through'em. I was not the fastest guy or the biggest guy but I could hit and I do not ever remember thinking before I hit a guy that I would get a helmet sticker for it. Hitting was my strength when I was on the field so I used it to put forth the best perfomance I could.

Sure there are probably coaches around who encourage some borderline tactics but I would guess that a large percentage are not promoting dirty play. Too risky to lose a carreer over something you don't need to win anyway.

yellaseeker
03-23-2012, 06:13 PM
If some believe your not suppose to reward individual accomplishments as well as team goals, then why the hell do we select individuals for all district, all county, all state and so forth. Like someone said, it takes individual accomplishments on all players to meet team goals. It's all about competition, even among teammates for starting positions. I don't see a problem with rewarding individuals for stellar performances whether it's in practice or games. I just don't believe that there are very many coaches in H.S. that would give any kind of incentive for dirty hits. Hard, clean hits are another story.

Eagle 1
03-23-2012, 07:42 PM
Stickers are just a part of our recognition.
The player on our defense who has the best hit gets to carry out this home made bat in the following game. (representing the "big hit")

BTW, did I mention that football is not a game for nice people?

http://farm5.staticflickr.com/4128/4991582531_746b7b6305_z.jpg

yellaseeker
03-24-2012, 07:13 PM
Stickers are just a part of our recognition.
The player on our defense who has the best hit gets to carry out this home made bat in the following game. (representing the "big hit")

BTW, did I mention that football is not a game for nice people?

http://farm5.staticflickr.com/4128/4991582531_746b7b6305_z.jpg

Awesome! Now that's an incentive for sure. BTW, never heard a coach say hit'em soft.