PDA

View Full Version : Caldwell Hornets looking for new coach

HEMOTOXIC
03-21-2012, 08:01 AM
http://www.brazossports.com/football/Caldwell-football-coach-leaving-for-College-Station-to-be-near---7049187

By LARRY BOWEN
larry.bowen@theeagle.com

Caldwell school officials are looking to hire a new head football coach and athletics director for the second time in less than a year.

Hornets head football coach Chance Locklear resigned earlier this month to become an assistant coach at the new College Station High School in the fall. Locklear, who will finish the spring semester at Caldwell, lives in College Station and said he made the move to spend more time with his young son.

On Monday night, John Carrigan resigned as Caldwell's athletics director for personal reasons. Carrigan intends to remain at the school as a teacher and assistant coach.

Locklear and Carrigan were promoted from assistant coaching positions in May. They replaced their former boss Dale Williams, who left Caldwell to become the defensive coordinator at A&M Consolidated.

Caldwell superintendent Janet Cummings said the district is seeking one person to serve as athletics director and head football coach. The school posted the opening Tuesday and will accept applications for seven days. Cummings said a search committee will be formed to interview candidates.

"We want to move rather quickly if it's possible," Cummings said. "Time is going to be a priority, of course, but the biggest priority will be what will be best for our kids."

Locklear said his primary reason for leaving Caldwell was to spend more time with his son Cade, who will turn 4 next month.

"My wife and I live in College Station, and the opportunity to be near my son at this point in his life, that was the biggest thing to it," Locklear said. "Spending more and more time away from my little one just was getting difficult."

Locklear, 34, spent five years as Caldwell's offensive line coach before landing his first head coaching job in May. A Houston native who graduated from Texas A&M, Locklear also coached four years at Hearne.

Going from a head coach to an assistant at a school in the same classification -- College Station will open as a Class 3A school and is expected to move up to 4A in two years -- does not bother Locklear.

"When I got into the business of teaching and coaching it was not about a title for me," Locklear said. "It was never about, 'Could I become a head coach? When could I be a coordinator?' I just wanted the opportunity to work with young people, to impact their lives and help them any way I could."

Locklear has known his future boss, College Station head football coach Steve Huff, since Huff served as Consol's powerlifting coach.

The Hornets went 1-9 overall and 0-5 in District 23-3A last season, missing the playoffs for the second consecutive season. Caldwell went 8-2 in Williams' final year but did not advance to the postseason because of a district tiebreaker.

"The hardest part about any of this is the impact on the kids," Locklear said about his decision to resign. "I absolutely want the best for them. My hope is things move quickly [and] they get somebody in here quickly to get hold of it and run with it, because we have great kids. I think the world of them."

Cummings said the fact that Caldwell is looking for a new coach and athletics director soon after filling those positions is not a mark against the school.

"I've been in this business long enough to realize that people are going to assume whatever they're going to assume," Cummings said. "Perception is probably something we're going to be asked about, but we have great kids here and a we have a great staff here and I wholeheartedly support them."

Caldwell will be a member of District 18-3A for the next two years along with College Station, Madisonville, Navasota, Rockdale and Taylor

Lombardi
03-21-2012, 08:59 AM
several old hornets out there coaching.>>> wonder if any of them would be interested in the job!

Txbroadcaster
03-21-2012, 09:22 AM
Man it seemed like a couple of years ago they had things figured out and were going to be a force

Dogman_1969
03-22-2012, 05:01 PM
They were a force. Coach Williams took those guys and made a 3 yd and a cloud of dust slot T and played good defense and sure caused everyone in the district issues. Just ask the Yoeman. Rumor is the superintendent wanted to separate the AD job and the football coach so Coach Williams took a job elsewhere. Don't know the story first hand but I know Williams maximized his talent and was a winner.