PDA

View Full Version : Riding lawn mowers?

pancho villa
03-20-2012, 07:57 AM
If you were going to buy a riding mower for about $1500 what would you get? I need a new one.

greendawg84
03-20-2012, 08:12 AM
The Husky from Tractor Supply has been a good one for me , they are less than 1500.00 . Word to the wize , stay away from Cub Cadet , everyone that I know that has one of those claims it is a piece of junk.

pancho villa
03-20-2012, 08:54 AM
The Husky from Tractor Supply has been a good one for me , they are less than 1500.00 . Word to the wize , stay away from Cub Cadet , everyone that I know that has one of those claims it is a piece of junk.

That is what I have now! I always seem to be working on it!!!!

waterboy
03-20-2012, 08:54 AM
I bought a John Deere. No complaints from me, except that I don't get to ride it..........oh, wait,.........it's hers and she does all the mowing. Never mind!:wave:

pancho villa
03-20-2012, 09:15 AM
I bought a John Deere. No complaints from me, except that I don't get to ride it..........oh, wait,.........it's hers and she does all the mowing. Never mind!:wave:

This is for my wife so I want a good one.

nobogey72
03-20-2012, 09:43 AM
I bought a Dixon zero-turn a couple of years ago and it is awesome. I'm usually pissed when I get through mowing because it's fun to drive. I think I paid about $800. It is the smallest zero-turn that Dixon makes, and it takes me about half the time to mow than it did with the bigger mower I had before. The zero - turn saves so much time. You can't go wrong, especially if you have a bunch of trees and corners and stuff like that. I would however tell you that women can get soft if you get them riding mowers. My advice would be to keep making her use a push mower.

SintonFan
03-20-2012, 09:48 AM
I bought a Dixon zero-turn a couple of years ago and it is awesome. I'm usually pissed when I get through mowing because it's fun to drive. I think I paid about $800. It is the smallest zero-turn that Dixon makes, and it takes me about half the time to mow than it did with the bigger mower I had before. The zero - turn saves so much time. You can't go wrong, especially if you have a bunch of trees and corners and stuff like that. I would however tell you that women can get soft if you get them riding mowers. My advice would be to keep making her use a push mower.

That $800 was for a used one right?

BwdLion73
03-20-2012, 10:02 AM
I've had good luck with Sears Craftsman. 20 hp automatic. (around 1500 to 1700)

I looked at the John Deere but I think your paying an extra 4 or 500 dollars for the name. I have also been told that the big box John Deeres such as Home Depot ect. arent the real thing as far as deck thickness and other things go.

nobogey72
03-20-2012, 10:03 AM
I went back and looked. It was actually 5 yrs ago and it was $1195. But, no it was new.

pancho villa
03-20-2012, 10:09 AM
I went back and looked. It was actually 5 yrs ago and it was $1195. But, no it was new.

Where did you buy it?

SintonFan
03-20-2012, 10:10 AM
Where did you buy it?

Got me curious, too.

greendawg84
03-20-2012, 10:21 AM
Got me curious, too.

Me too , I would have suggest that for sure but think they are in the 2500 to 3000 range....

Ville-D
03-20-2012, 10:33 AM
I got a Toro back in '08 and I love it. It was about $2300.

I got it from http://www.wisesales.com and paid no shipping and no sales tax. Bought it on a Monday and it arrived on Wednesday via FedEx Freight.

It was a 42" ZTR

nobogey72
03-20-2012, 11:37 AM
Where did you buy it?

Hamilton Supply in Abilene.

yellaseeker
03-20-2012, 12:02 PM
The cub cadet's use to be a good mower but i believe murray or one of those other cheap made mower company's bought them and they went to $hit immediately after. I don't suggest a zero turn unless you have enough yard to justify it. Constantly making those turns in a small yard will keep tearing up your yard with a zero turn. I have one but have 1-1/2 acres but i don't use it in the front yard because of that reason. That being said, i've heard a lot of people say good things about the Toro's. Wish you could still get a descent priced mower to last like the old school Snapper mower's did. I'd suggest at a minumum, whether you get a conventional style or zero turn, try to splurge enough to buy one with a welded deck not a stamped one. They are better made and thicker and that's what usually gives you trouble first. Usually, mowers with a welded deck offer better spindles with grease zerts that will give you longer service. Good zero turns, in my book are, Dixie Chopper, Grass Hopper, Dixon, Exmark, Yazoo. Best advice i can give is, if you let money be a big factor, do not buy a cheap zero turn just for the sake of getting one. Buy a good conventional instead because there is much more to the hydraulic and mechanical parts on a zero turn and it will get expensive if you don't do your homework and spend your money wisely and freely.

defense51
03-20-2012, 12:50 PM
I bought a Cub Cadet ztr, do not like it because it rides entirely too rough. That's really my only complaint. My last mower was a Scott's with a 15 hp Kohler engine, I used it for 14 years. The body broke down but the engine still ran, I would definitely recommend a Kohler engine if you have the choice.

jason
03-20-2012, 12:59 PM
check out http://www.0turn.com/
It is Outdoor World located in Azle, Tx.

Tell JR or Amie that I sent you and you'll get a good deal...

regaleagle
03-20-2012, 01:20 PM
Scott's Kohler is a good choice for the $$$. Never had a problem with the mower on almost 2 acres, used it for 12 yrs, then sold it for $400. Need to keep it clean and maintained, but that is true of all riding mowers. Deck is not the greatest, but good value for the money.

yellaseeker
03-20-2012, 01:30 PM
Hey Pancho, why don't you just fence the whole thing and put you some real lawn mowers in there. After the initial cost of the fencing and the goats, it will be maintenance free and, then you can invite everyone over for some good ol' Cabrito every once in a while. But, we don't want to hear later, about how those goats lie on you. lmao................

msu97
03-20-2012, 01:41 PM
as fat as you are, it does not matter what kind of mower you get since no riding mower is built for your weight...
and none come with a sneeze guard or a buffet table...
fatty...
what is going on Pancho

tres beauties
03-20-2012, 04:21 PM
I've been checking around for mowers. I talked to a mower repair man and he told me that an "Ariens" brand mower is the best bang for your buck. He also told me they are an American company who pride themselves on customer service. I also talked to a friend of mine who has a lawn mowing service and they also said it's a good mower for a good price. They told me to make sure to get a mower with a heavy duty deck and they think the Ariens has one. I've read many reviews on the Ariens and saw very few negative reviews. The Ariens also mows while in reverse (which many do not). A six speed Ariens with a 42-inch cutting deck and 17.5 hp Briggs & Stratton engine is around $1000. They also make zero turns. Worth checking out.

Ville-D
03-20-2012, 07:06 PM
I've been checking around for mowers. I talked to a mower repair man and he told me that an "Ariens" brand mower is the best bang for your buck. He also told me they are an American company who pride themselves on customer service. I also talked to a friend of mine who has a lawn mowing service and they also said it's a good mower for a good price. They told me to make sure to get a mower with a heavy duty deck and they think the Ariens has one. I've read many reviews on the Ariens and saw very few negative reviews. The Ariens also mows while in reverse (which many do not). A six speed Ariens with a 42-inch cutting deck and 17.5 hp Briggs & Stratton engine is around $1000. They also make zero turns. Worth checking out.

http://www.wisesales.com (http://www.wisesales.com/) sells Ariens... (good price, no tax & free shipping - when I bought my Toro)

1st and goal
03-20-2012, 08:49 PM
If you would stop watering the dirt, the weeds wouldn't grow.

You pretty much get what you pay for no matter the brand. You can get a lemon on almost any brand of mower or engine. The Kawasaki engines are pretty good. I've not heard of too many problems with the Briggs. I think Kohler had some issues when they changed over to modern OHV engines but that they have got them fixed now.

I recommend that you get something that you can get parts for 10 years down the line. Believe it or not, the most dependable easy to fix is the old Snapper rear engine rider like Forrest Gump used. They just don't have a real wide cut and they don't turn sharp. But they are oh so simple to fix.

Manso/V8
03-20-2012, 09:03 PM
Avoid Craftsman tractors.

turbostud
03-20-2012, 09:19 PM
Avoid Craftsman tractors.

I bought a Craftsman at Sears 10 years ago and its still going strong. All I have done is change the oil and blades.

Manso/V8
03-20-2012, 11:24 PM
Craftsman 10 years ago is not the same as Craftsman of today.

yellaseeker
03-21-2012, 02:46 AM
I agree with staying away from the briggs and the honda's as well. I'd stick with a kohler or the kawasaki. The shop that services my mower says the bulk of his maintenance work on engines is the Honda's. He said that the bigger honda engines like the design they use on ATV's and larger like boat motors are still good but the smaller one's that are the similar design as the briggs and tecumsey's are crap now. I remember back in the day briggs made two different duty engines, one basic and one that was a commercial duty. They aren't what they use to be either. Only difference i have heard and also experienced between the kohler and the kawasaki is, the kohler is louder and people say it uses a little more fuel. While the kawasaki has given me very good service life, i'd still give the kohler a very slight edge on longevity and that's only what i have heard from many others. I believe you can't go wrong with either, i still wear ear plugs even with the kawasaki so really no big deal to me and, i've never done a side by side comparison to confirm any fuel usage difference. It may cause you to get into a little more of a commercial mower but, if you decide to get a zero turn, get one that has actual bearings in the front tire spindles instead of bushings and it will be far less maintenance on that part. One more thing about the zero turns, i prefer the engines with the down shaft as opposed to the horizontal that makes the belt go through another series of pulleys to make the 90 degree turn to go to the deck spindles. They go through belts quicker. And finally, no i don't own a mowing business, i've just done a lot of homework myself on these things, due to a lot of trial and error over the years. Anyways, if you buy the right one, even if its more expensive, it will still be cheaper than two mediocre mowers and a lot less headache. Happy shopping, Pancho.

buckeyebob
03-21-2012, 06:16 AM

Mine enjoys her yo-yo...keeps her in shape so she gave up curves...saved me a bunch of $$.

buckeyebob
03-21-2012, 06:17 AM
I got a Toro back in '08 and I love it. It was about $2300.

I got it from http://www.wisesales.com and paid no shipping and no sales tax. Bought it on a Monday and it arrived on Wednesday via FedEx Freight.

It was a 42" ZTR
Wow! Great deal.

defense51
03-21-2012, 07:02 AM
Mine enjoys her yo-yo...keeps her in shape so she gave up curves...saved me a bunch of $$.The only drawback to this is you will have to get up from watching sportscenter 3-4 times to get your own drink while she is cutting the grass.

waterboy
03-21-2012, 08:22 AM
The only drawback to this is you will have to get up from watching sportscenter 3-4 times to get your own drink while she is cutting the grass.
That's what daughters are for, right?:inlove:

Manso/V8
03-21-2012, 11:11 PM
I agree with staying away from the briggs and the honda's as well. I'd stick with a kohler or the kawasaki. The shop that services my mower says the bulk of his maintenance work on engines is the Honda's. He said that the bigger honda engines like the design they use on ATV's and larger like boat motors are still good but the smaller one's that are the similar design as the briggs and tecumsey's are crap now. I remember back in the day briggs made two different duty engines, one basic and one that was a commercial duty. They aren't what they use to be either. Only difference i have heard and also experienced between the kohler and the kawasaki is, the kohler is louder and people say it uses a little more fuel. While the kawasaki has given me very good service life, i'd still give the kohler a very slight edge on longevity and that's only what i have heard from many others. I believe you can't go wrong with either, i still wear ear plugs even with the kawasaki so really no big deal to me and, i've never done a side by side comparison to confirm any fuel usage difference. It may cause you to get into a little more of a commercial mower but, if you decide to get a zero turn, get one that has actual bearings in the front tire spindles instead of bushings and it will be far less maintenance on that part. One more thing about the zero turns, i prefer the engines with the down shaft as opposed to the horizontal that makes the belt go through another series of pulleys to make the 90 degree turn to go to the deck spindles. They go through belts quicker. And finally, no i don't own a mowing business, i've just done a lot of homework myself on these things, due to a lot of trial and error over the years. Anyways, if you buy the right one, even if its more expensive, it will still be cheaper than two mediocre mowers and a lot less headache. Happy shopping, Pancho.

The grass must grow almost year 'round down on the coast for yall to put that much thought in it!

buckeyebob
03-22-2012, 05:03 AM
The only drawback to this is you will have to get up from watching sportscenter 3-4 times to get your own drink while she is cutting the grass.

Nope...the Lazy Boy is on the porch with the TV & the cooler.

buckeyebob
03-22-2012, 05:06 AM
That's what daughters are for, right?:inlove:

I would not know...I had only boys...we have matching Lazy Boys.

BwdLion73
03-22-2012, 10:15 AM
The grass must grow almost year 'round down on the coast for yall to put that much thought in it!

:) I think I have already mowed more this year than all of last year.

83Indian
03-22-2012, 04:15 PM
Ive had a Murry 42inch cut, 14.5 briggs and stratton for 13 years. The motor runs fine, but the deck is worn out. Have to adjust the valves frequently, but keeps on trucking. My wife doesn't want me to get a new one cause she says I don't take care of this one. So how long is a mower supposed to last?

waterboy
03-22-2012, 04:50 PM
I've never had ANY trouble with Briggs and Stratton motors. As long as you change the oil and clean the filters they will run forever. It's the rest of the mower that breaks or wears out first.

ExScoop
03-22-2012, 05:06 PM
Our old John Deere died about 3 years ago and couldn't get it fixed-So now we pay a guy to mow it
They are tough to maintain

slingshot
03-22-2012, 05:48 PM
Our old John Deere died about 3 years ago and couldn't get it fixed-So now we pay a guy to mow it
They are tough to maintainReally? My Deere is a 1998 LX188 rider with a 17 hp Kawasaki V-Twin motor... body is beat up, looks like crap--but still keeps on ticking. Never any major probs. Guess I'll list it in the American Classifieds... bought a shiny new 54"/23 hp Kawasaki powered, American-made Land Pride zero-turn mower this afternoon. Should cut my 2 acre mowing time from 2 hours to 45 min or so.

83Indian
03-22-2012, 06:32 PM
I've never had ANY trouble with Briggs and Stratton motors. As long as you change the oil and clean the filters they will run forever. It's the rest of the mower that breaks or wears out first.

Wow you have never had to adjust the valves? Mine ran forever and then started acting like the battery was dead. Got a new battery and still no luck. Replaced solenoid, starter and still no luck. Came across a lawn mower forum and thats where I learned about the valve adjustments. Easy to do but sure acts like a dead battery because the mower engine will make about half a revolution and then hang.

waterboy
03-23-2012, 07:26 AM
Wow you have never had to adjust the valves? Mine ran forever and then started acting like the battery was dead. Got a new battery and still no luck. Replaced solenoid, starter and still no luck. Came across a lawn mower forum and thats where I learned about the valve adjustments. Easy to do but sure acts like a dead battery because the mower engine will make about half a revolution and then hang.
Hmmmm...........nope, I never had to adjust the valves. Of course, I have a friend at church that owns a mower shop, and I've had him do tuneups every couple of years when I don't have the time. He probably did, but he never said anything about it.

Old Tiger
03-23-2012, 09:02 AM
I wouldn't buy a riding lawnmower because I'm not lazy.

waterboy
03-23-2012, 10:17 AM
I wouldn't buy a riding lawnmower because I'm not lazy.
You must have a small yard then......., or lots of time on your hands.

SHSBulldog00
03-23-2012, 12:53 PM
Hey Pancho, why don't you just fence the whole thing and put you some real lawn mowers in there. After the initial cost of the fencing and the goats, it will be maintenance free and, then you can invite everyone over for some good ol' Cabrito every once in a while. But, we don't want to hear later, about how those goats lie on you. lmao................

I agree with ys, just get some from the standaround field.

http://img43.imageshack.us/img43/4677/baseballgoats.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/43/baseballgoats.jpg/)