PDA

View Full Version : Rick Barnes needs to go!

Old Tiger
03-16-2012, 11:48 AM
That is all!

Bring in Shaka Smart, Brad Stevens, Cody Wynn, or anyone else please!

Txbroadcaster
03-16-2012, 11:57 AM
So Barnes is the one taking terrible shots and even missing at the rim?

Old Tiger
03-16-2012, 11:58 AM
So Barnes is the one taking terrible shots and even missing at the rim?Your job as a coach to settle your players in and get them to set up an offense...well nvm Barnes just has offensive sets not actual plays.

regaleagle
03-16-2012, 12:09 PM
Barnes has had the unfortunate task of rebuilding a team every single year because of the early exit of very talented young players to the NBA, my friend. He's the very best basketball coach the Texas Longhorns have EVER had, and his recruiting of excellent top talent is absolutely top-tier. Nothing could be further from the truth that he is not a quality basketball coach. Lose him, and see what happens to the Texas basketball program in the years following his exit. Look what happened to the girls program when Jody Conradt retired. Coaches build programs and try to maintain them. The players still have to perform, but the program is successful. The Texas team is loaded every year with youth. Maybe a few upperclassmen that are not the most talented players are on the team. Texas had only 3 players on the team before the fall semester. That's right... just 3 players.

Emerson1
03-16-2012, 12:09 PM
He is Mack Brown pre-2005 pretty much. It doesn't help they can't seem to keep anyone with a halfway decent shot at the NBA for more than a year.

Old Tiger
03-16-2012, 12:13 PM
Barnes has had the unfortunate task of rebuilding a team every single year because of the early exit of very talented young players to the NBA, my friend. He's the very best basketball coach the Texas Longhorns have EVER had, and his recruiting of excellent top talent is absolutely top-tier. Nothing could be further from the truth that he is not a quality basketball coach. Lose him, and see what happens to the Texas basketball program in the years following his exit. Look what happened to the girls program when Jody Conradt retired. Coaches build programs and try to maintain them. The players still have to perform, but the program is successful. The Texas team is loaded every year with youth. Maybe a few upperclassmen that are not the most talented players are on the team. Texas had only 3 players on the team before the fall semester. That's right... just 3 players.kentucky seems to do ell given they lose early entrees.

He is the best coach Texas has had but after 14 years its time for Texas to get a coach that will take them to the next level.

He is Mack Brown pre-2005 pretty much. It doesn't help they can't seem to keep anyone with a halfway decent shot at the NBA for more than a year.

Except Rick has had 2 "Vince Youngs" in TJ Ford and KD

regaleagle
03-16-2012, 12:19 PM
Again, as I stated before, once the player is lost to the NBA or graduation, is it still Barnes that is responsible??? I don't think so. Do you think Tom Penders should come back with his style of coaching for Texas, or what?? Recruiting top talent and keeping them in a program for an extended time is difficult. I think Texas does a pretty good job of competing nationally in basketball against the rest of the basketball power teams, considering they have always been a football first school. Does Kansas, North Carolina, Duke, and other basketball powers do well in football too? That's a big NO. Only Ohio State is comparable to Texas in both sports.

Txbroadcaster
03-16-2012, 01:20 PM
So was Barnes a bad coach in 1st half and a good coach in 2nd?..down 19 and they made it a hell of a game

Z-RO
03-16-2012, 01:45 PM
I got to agree it is time for Rick Barnes to go! He is a hell of a recruiter but X's and O's not so much. There are other school out there who do a lot more with a lot less. Yes a lot of Texas players only stay for a year, but who is the person recruiting them? That isn't building a program, that's building himself up as a platform to send kids to the NBA. As stated before Kentucky and other programs do this exact same thing each season with much more success. I would rather take a coach who does more with less than less with more.

Z-RO
03-16-2012, 01:46 PM
So was Barnes a bad coach in 1st half and a good coach in 2nd?..down 19 and they made it a hell of a game

Notice how his team self exploded with 3 mins left? That was coaching

Buckeye1980
03-16-2012, 02:00 PM
kentucky seems to do ell given they lose early entrees.

He is the best coach Texas has had but after 14 years its time for Texas to get a coach that will take them to the next level.

Except Rick has had 2 "Vince Youngs" in TJ Ford and KD

you say Kentucky does well with the one and done players.....for your information Kentucky has not won it all since 1998, long before the one and done became the way to go.

Z-RO
03-16-2012, 02:09 PM
you say Kentucky does well with the one and done players.....for your information Kentucky has not won it all since 1998, long before the one and done became the way to go.

I don't feel like posting all of the info but just take a look. Barnes' teams have been knocked out of the 1st two rounds 9 times under his watch....yup impressive :crazy:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Texas_Longhorns_men%27s_basketball

buff4ever
03-16-2012, 02:20 PM
Notice how his team self exploded with 3 mins left? That was coaching

You guys forget that other than a few blind horn fans, no one gave Texas a chance in this game. Give him some credit, with the pour play of his players they had a chance at the end of the game. He gets some credit for that given that they weren't suppose to have a chance in this game.

buff4ever
03-16-2012, 02:21 PM
You guys forget that other than a few blind horn fans, no one gave Texas a chance in this game. Give him some credit, with the pour play of his players they had a chance at the end of the game. He gets some credit for that given that they weren't suppose to have a chance in this game.

I looked early on, and with a longhorn heavy list of participators, our bracket challane had a whole 6 people out of 30 pick Texas to win this game, all of them were hard headed blind texas fans. I didn't expect them to keep it close.

Z-RO
03-16-2012, 02:26 PM
I didn't expect them to win, I DID expect them to have a better season than what they did. Accumulate that with the past few season seasons under his watch with the talent he has had and it makes us fans sick.

regaleagle
03-16-2012, 02:26 PM
And I think if you did further research you would also see that not too many teams do much better than that in this tournament as well. And how many of those teams have been to the dance for 14 straight years? Let's be a little more realistic here in our assessments before tar and feathering a very good basketball coach like Rick Barnes.

Z-RO
03-16-2012, 02:42 PM
And I think if you did further research you would also see that not too many teams do much better than that in this tournament as well. And how many of those teams have been to the dance for 14 straight years? Let's be a little more realistic here in our assessments before tar and feathering a very good basketball coach like Rick Barnes.

Once again the talent alone has carried him to the tournament, but what has he done once he got there? His record is 18-14 in the tournament (at Texas), that's ridiculous given the talent that he has had come through during his watch.

Old Tiger
03-16-2012, 03:49 PM
Since 2009 with Calapari

2009-2010 Elite 8
2010-2011 Final 4

One and done rule started the 05-06 season

Maroon87
03-16-2012, 04:25 PM
Since 2009 with Calapari

2009-2010 Elite 8
2010-2011 Final 4

One and done rule started the 05-06 season

Kentucky is a bad comparison...they get 3-4 McDonald's All Americans every year, whereas Texas gets maybe one every 2 or 3 years. And that has nothing to do with Barnes...that's because Kentucky is KENTUCKY.

regaleagle
03-16-2012, 04:33 PM
That's the last two years, not the last 14 for Kentucky. And how many Calipari's are out there? Would he coach for Texas if the spot came available? Maybe, but it wasn't available, and Kentucky was dissatisfied previous to Calipari with their results, and rightly so. It was a timely hire of a top-notch coach to a top-notch basketball school known for being top-notch in basketball. You want to roll the dice and see what is out there that can maybe improve the Texas basketball program when it's a proven fact they are already one of the better programs to attract talent right now??? Wow!! Maybe you should be in charge in Austin and make that call, huh? And enjoy the backlash that occurs afterwards.

Z-RO
03-16-2012, 05:25 PM
You want to roll the dice and see what is out there that can maybe improve the Texas basketball program when it's a proven fact they are already one of the better programs to attract talent right now??? Wow!! Maybe you should be in charge in Austin and make that call, huh? And enjoy the backlash that occurs afterwards.

The problem isn't attracting the talent as stated before, the problem is actually doing something with it! Yes I would want to roll the dice! I would rather have a coach who could do more with less than less with more.

regaleagle
03-16-2012, 11:37 PM
Let's see...the best coach Texas had in basketball before Barnes was Penders, and before that was Abe Lemons. Not much comparison with those two, and Texas was really not much of a contender nationally back then, either. Barnes comes in, installs his program, outrecruits 90% of the schools out there(something Penders or Lemons couldn't do), takes Texas to 20+ wins every year, qualifies for the dance 14 straight years, makes a final four, but never wins a national title...yet. He did his job fabulously, put Texas into national contention yearly in basketball, and you want to fire him Z-Ro. Does a successful corporation fire its best salesman or key manager for leading them to success just because they want more??? And who's to say another coach can do more with less? More like less with less like before Barnes. Texas didn't just all of a sudden attract top talent. Barnes had to establish himself to be a very qualified coach in order to attract that kind of player. He did that, and more. And now you want to fire him for doing a stellar job for Texas??? All I can say is I'd hate to have you as a boss in charge of my livelihood!!!

Z-RO
03-17-2012, 12:11 AM
Can TEXAS find better? I think so. Can TEXAS recruit better? Maybe. I just find it amusing that teams like Butler who has WAAAAY less talent can out preform Texas with less athletes. With Barnes Texas has yet to prove they are a B12 power much less a national power house. Calipari turns out power house teams year after year while losing his best players after one and done...wish I could say the same thing about Rick Barnes. You stated Texas doesnt hardly ever gets a McDonalds All American but I have to disagree....

2011 - Myck Kabongo
2010 - Cory Joseph, Tristan Thompson
2009 - Avery Bradley *NOTE Jordan hamilton would have been on the roster had it not been for the 5th year rule
2008 -
2007 -
2006 - Kevin Durant
2005 - Calvin Miles

With the talent he lands Texas should be better than 18-14 in the big dance. I suspect the majority of this team will return next season, if they do not get at least 3 rounds deep I think it is time for heads to finally role.

Z-RO
03-17-2012, 12:23 AM
Recruiting Classes

2011 - #8
2010 - #8
2009 - #2
2008 - unranked
2007 - #21
2006 - #3
2005 - unranked
2004 - #3

Tejastrue
03-17-2012, 12:49 AM
The state of Texas, traditionally and recruiting wise, has always been a 'Football State' first. I'm amazed at what Rick Barnes has accomplished during his tenure!!!

Txbroadcaster
03-17-2012, 05:07 AM
Can TEXAS find better? I think so. Can TEXAS recruit better? Maybe. I just find it amusing that teams like Butler who has WAAAAY less talent can out preform Texas with less athletes. With Barnes Texas has yet to prove they are a B12 power much less a national power house. Calipari turns out power house teams year after year while losing his best players after one and done...wish I could say the same thing about Rick Barnes. You stated Texas doesnt hardly ever gets a McDonalds All American but I have to disagree....

2011 - Myck Kabongo
2009 - Avery Bradley *NOTE Jordan hamilton would have been on the roster had it not been for the 5th year rule
2008 -
2007 -
2006 - Kevin Durant
2005 - Calvin Miles

With the talent he lands Texas should be better than 18-14 in the big dance. I suspect the majority of this team will return next season, if they do not get at least 3 rounds deep I think it is time for heads to finally role.

You talking about the Butler that did not even make the tourney this year? I have never felt Barnes was the best coach ever.but to make it to the tourney 14 straight times is pretty good

Txbroadcaster
03-17-2012, 05:39 AM

2011 - Myck Kabongo
2008 -
2007 -
2006 - Kevin Durant
2005 - Calvin Miles

BTW..Miles never played for Texas..he went straight to the draft

Z-RO
03-17-2012, 12:04 PM
You talking about the Butler that did not even make the tourney this year? I have never felt Barnes was the best coach ever.but to make it to the tourney 14 straight times is pretty good

He only made it by the skin of his teeth this year. And yes the same Butler who made it to the championship game the past two years with less talent. How many times has Barnes got Texas to the championship game?

This makes my point though, coaches like Brad Stevens, and Shaka Smart can take a team of nobody's and make runs Texas has only dreamed about making! Granted Butler had 1 guy go to the draft....but even after losing him they returned to the championship game the following season.

regaleagle
03-17-2012, 02:15 PM
Butler has a fine program for a small school known for its basketball tradition. And guess what? They also attract very talented players, duh!!! It only takes 4 or 5 good quality players on a 12 team roster yearly to field a competitive team. They do not play the schedule of a Texas or Kansas, and therefore get their shot at the Tourney if they win their conference. Then they just need to play great for maybe 3 or 4 games to be called a giant killer. Comparing a small basketball only school like Butler (or Norfolk State) to major college divison I conference teams that have to play tough schedules week in and week out just to make it to the dance is not really a good comparison. Comparing Texas to Kansas, Florida, LSU, USC, Ohio State, Michigan, etc, is more correct in what Barnes should be measured by.

regaleagle
03-17-2012, 02:42 PM
Speaking of major college division I conference schools, what about Billy Donovan of Fla. or even ex-Aggie, ex-Kentucky, now-Tech coach Billy Gillespie? Or a hundred or so other major division I college coaches in basketball. Do they have the pedigree of a Rick Barnes? I would venture to say there is only a handful out there that do, and you want to let Barnes go to some other team that Texas may have to compete against. So you don't think he can be a winner somewhere else, and it's just the University of Texas greatness that makes him good, huh? I don't for one minute buy that, and I doubt that many astute basketball people do either. If released from his contract at Texas, he would be signed with another major basketball power in a power conference before the month was out.

Z-RO
03-18-2012, 12:29 AM
Yeah, Butler is more attractive than Texas........:crazy: Oh wait it isn't yet teams such as Butler can make it to the NCAA championship game twice. I am sorry but that isn't just some fluke occurring with them playing the role of a giant killer, that takes one hell of a coach to take lesser talent and mold it into a TEAM. Have you seen Butlers "basketball tradition"? lol dont make me laugh! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Butler_Bulldogs_men%27s_basketball

I'm finished with this conversation
http://www.toonjokes.com/data/media/9/30.jpg

regaleagle
03-18-2012, 10:25 AM
Your posts may look good, but you are still dead wrong about Rick Barnes, and me being an idiot. Name-calling proves nothing...anybody can stoop to that. It's posters like you that create a "stir" in a situation out here in the world when there really isn't one. You must be a very unhappy individual. And if not, perhaps you are just seeking attention. I think most people associated with the basketball program at Texas are supportive of Rick Barnes. I really haven't heard from ANYONE calling for his dismissal, either at Texas or in the news. Only you.

Old Tiger
03-18-2012, 10:32 AM
Your posts may look good, but you are still dead wrong about Rick Barnes, and me being an idiot. Name-calling proves nothing...anybody can stoop to that. It's posters like you that create a "stir" in a situation out here in the world when there really isn't one. You must be a very unhappy individual. And if not, perhaps you are just seeking attention. I think most people associated with the basketball program at Texas are supportive of Rick Barnes. I really haven't heard from ANYONE calling for his dismissal, either at Texas or in the news. Only you.Asnwer this...are you content with 1 final four appearance in 14 years? He had a guy who now considered a top 5 NBA player and one of the purest scorers in the league. But he couldn't even coach that team to the sweet 16. They lost in the second round.

regaleagle
03-18-2012, 10:54 AM
Answer this. Is Texas the ONLY team that has happened to? How many times has that exact scenario happened to some of the other top-talented and ranked teams in a NCAA tournament field? There's the answer to that question, thank you very much.

regaleagle
03-18-2012, 11:01 AM
And since when does on stellar guard make a team good enough to overcome teams laden with talented players themselves, many of whom are more seasoned with more years of basketball and playoff experiences under their belt. It's easier to beat a young team with a young player that is carrying the team, then to beat a team with veteran talented players in the line-up that have played together for at least a couple of years.

Old Tiger
03-18-2012, 11:13 AM
Answer this. Is Texas the ONLY team that has happened to? How many times has that exact scenario happened to some of the other top-talented and ranked teams in a NCAA tournament field? There's the answer to that question, thank you very much.

Lets look at the talent in the nba now

Mello - 1 and done NC
Derek Rose - NC Finalist
Kobe - No college
LeBron - No college
Dwayne Wade - Final 4
Dwight Howard - no college
Chris Paul - Sweet 16
Dirk - German
Tony Parker - French
Blake Griffin - Elite 8

regaleagle
03-18-2012, 11:23 AM
The thread is about Rick Barnes, not players that played or didn't play for certain teams while in college. Your list is about 50-50 at best, and doesn't tell the whole story. It's a ridulous comparison, if you want to call it that. The fact is Rick Barnes has not won a national championship while at Texas, and that's not good enough for some of you guys. But you forget what Texas basketball was like before him. I understand what you are saying, and that you don't think he can get it done, but my argument is that the players not only sign with the school, but sign with the coach at the school that gives them the best chances for them personally. We just have a difference of opinion regarding Rick Barnes. I think winning a national championship would be wonderful for Texas in basketball. They have never accomplished that. I also think if it were to happen in the near future, it would most probably happen under the guidance of Rick Barnes, not someone replacing him.

Old Tiger
03-18-2012, 11:27 AM
The thread is about Rick Barnes, not players that played or didn't play for certain teams while in college. Your list is about 50-50 at best, and doesn't tell the whole story. It's a ridulous comparison, if you want to call it that. The fact is Rick Barnes has not won a national championship while at Texas, and that's not good enough for some of you guys. But you forget what Texas basketball was like before him. I understand what you are saying, and that you don't think he can get it done, but my argument is that the players not only sign with the school, but sign with the coach at the school that gives them the best chances for them personally. We just have a difference of opinion regarding Rick Barnes. I think winning a national championship would be wonderful for Texas in basketball. They have never accomplished that. I also think if it were to happen in the near future, it would most probably happen under the guidance of Rick Barnes, not someone replacing him.Rick Barnes has had the talent come tourney time. He just gets out coached come tourney time. As I said earlier Rick Barnes did a lot for Texas basketball but as his career has gone on it becomes apparent he won't get them to the next level in developing the program.

regaleagle
03-18-2012, 11:33 AM
And the chances of that occuring are in your favor Old Tiger. There can be only one. But are you willing to risk Texas Basketball success now for a roll of the dice to see what will occur? That is the big question for the Texas charges to answer. It IS a gamble. You have to recognize that fact.

Old Tiger
03-18-2012, 11:40 AM
And the chances of that occuring are in your favor Old Tiger. There can be only one. But are you willing to risk Texas Basketball success now for a roll of the dice to see what will occur? That is the big question for the Texas charges to answer. It IS a gamble. You have to recognize that fact.How is it a roll of the dice if you bring in a better x's and o's guy. The only questionable thing about bringing in a new guy is recruiting.

Winning 20 games a season isn't a big deal as it used to be.

Manso/V8
03-18-2012, 12:08 PM
Butler has a fine program for a small school known for its basketball tradition. And guess what? They also attract very talented players, duh!!! It only takes 4 or 5 good quality players on a 12 team roster yearly to field a competitive team. They do not play the schedule of a Texas or Kansas, and therefore get their shot at the Tourney if they win their conference. Then they just need to play great for maybe 3 or 4 games to be called a giant killer. Comparing a small basketball only school like Butler (or Norfolk State) to major college divison I conference teams that have to play tough schedules week in and week out just to make it to the dance is not really a good comparison. Comparing Texas to Kansas, Florida, LSU, USC, Ohio State, Michigan, etc, is more correct in what Barnes should be measured by.

Butler has a great program and a great coach. They recruit mostly Indiana kids who get overlooked by the bigger schools. Usually these are kids are great basketball players but maybe not as physically developed or great athletes, but kids whose style of play, attitude, and dedication fit the Butler scheme. I am talking about kids that know the value of a "bounce pass", high percentage shot selection, and solid defense. They take these kids and develop them, teach them how to play old school Hoosier team basketball and they play with passion and intensity for four years. I don't think they have the recruiting pull to get the "one year and off to pros" players. In fact, very few Butler players move on to the pros. The "one year and off to the pros" players make for an exciting year, but those kids generally lack the maturity to handle the tourney pressure. In 3a football, think of how a solid small town school like Gonzales can beat an inner city team loaded with athletes like San Antonio Houston, by just playing disciplined football. That is how Butler has done what they have done, and it comes down to coaching and program. That probably isn't going to work for Texas and Texas fans.

regaleagle
03-18-2012, 12:08 PM
Yeah, there's always a better X's and O's guy. Like Rick Barnes hasn't been there and doesn't know all the possible offenses and defenses for any given scenario already, and somebody else does. Ha Ha, you guys are really something! Just admit it. There's nothing you can find wrong with Rick Barnes that you can't find wrong with a dozen or ten other coaches in similar circumstances. You just have ants in your pants for Texas to win a national championship and are willing to do anything, not matter what it is, to try someone different. Damn the torpedoes, full steam ahead!

Old Tiger
03-28-2013, 08:10 AM
Losing season...lost in first round of CBI that they paid 35k to play in

2 players have decided to transfer

Jaylen Bond
Sheldon McClellan(UT's leading scorer this season)

Myck Kabongo is expected to enter in the draft.

Team is scrap.

To make matters worse Barnes is entitled to a $1,000,000 annuity.

refereedoc
03-28-2013, 09:14 AM
Barnes, Brown and DeLoss Dodds can all go. Gig'em!

Lucky2Coach
03-28-2013, 10:08 AM

Kentucky won it all last year, right? I may be wrong, but I thought they did!

AHS_JACK
03-28-2013, 11:33 AM
Kentucky won it all last year, right? I may be wrong, but I thought they did!

I actually think he's been doing a decent job running Alvarado ISD's transportation department! :wave:

Cam
03-28-2013, 11:54 AM
Today I ran over a squirrel......and I'm very upset about it.....little fella was just tryin' to cross the street to get to his little nest and bang the hell outta Mrs. Squirrel!...after all, it is spring time....:bigcry:......oh sorry, I thought I was on my "Let's Talk About Animals" website.......nevermind......