PDA

View Full Version : Michael Phelps and the 2012 Olympics

Phil C
03-15-2012, 12:34 PM
This should be an exciting event and Michael Phelps will be one to watch at the 2012 Summer Olympics. As you know he is probably the greatest swimmer ever and we are in for a treat that he is competing even though unlike 2008 he has announced he will not compete in 8 events. Most experts think it will be 6 or maybe 7 events but we will see. He turns 27 on June 30 and that is considered past your prime in swimming but he has done well recently and should do well in the olympics even though he may not get gold in all his events.
He is the only Olympic competitor that has got 8 gold medals in one year in 2008 and leads in overall gold medals at 14 over 2004 and 2008 Olympics. He is well ahead of his current and retired competitors so that record should stand for a long time and he may add to it.

He has won 16 total medals and is 2 behind USSR Gymnastic competitor Larisa Latynina who has 18 and competed in the Olymics from 1956 to 1963. Except for Mr. Phelps she is way ahead of the current and retired competitors so if Mr. Phelps can win at least three medals he will probably also set another record that will stand for a long time. I expect that he will break that record. Excitement indeed.

I think this will be his last Olympics of course but there is a very small slim chance he might come back in 2016 Olympics and compete in maybe one or two events to pad his medals but as posted this is most unlikely.

Come on Michael! Let's get at least three medals and have that record!

Phil C
07-06-2012, 12:35 PM
Right now unless he scratches a race he will be competing in 7 events and should easily get at least 3 medals to get the record number of medals. Hopefully he will stay healthy and be at his best. I don't expect him to get the gold in all but he should get some.

zebrablue2
07-07-2012, 05:07 AM
Looking forward to watching him light it up, no pun intended... The boy is good!!!

Phil C
07-31-2012, 11:45 AM
Michael Phelps has a chance to pass her today. She is a good sport about it and has met him and shown him support which shows her great character. She was born on 12-27-34 and competed in the 1956, 1960 and 1964 Olympics where she earned 9 gold, 5 silver and 4 bronze for a total of 18 Medals and Michael is one behind her. One record Michael won't catch her in if this is his last Olympics is that 14 of her medals were an individual classification and right now she is ahead 14 to 10 and Michael only has 3 individual events. When she was young she first started out in ballet but changed to gymnastics when her ballet teacher moved away. Had she not started late she might have been able to participate in the 1952 Olympics and had even more medals but that is pure speculation on my part. Still she was a great champion and it will be a terrific thing if Michael can break her record.