PDA

View Full Version : Farmer...(Warning: Romo Thread)

Pages : 1 [2]

Farmersfan
04-02-2012, 09:54 AM
yea they would be..dont kid yourself to think if Romo was put on the trade market that he would not draw interest.

So what in your opinion should be the Cowboy's direction at this point? Is McGee the answer in a development of a Romo replacement? Seeing that Romo is 31 I would think we should realistically expect no more than 3 more years out of him. (maybe less if he suffers a major injury). Should the Cowboys go after a QB in the later rounds? I would like for them to wait and see if Case Keenam can be picked up as a free agent.......... What do you think?

Txbroadcaster
04-02-2012, 09:55 AM
So what in your opinion should be the Cowboy's direction at this point? Is McGee the answer in a development of a Romo replacement? Seeing that Romo is 31 I would think we should realistically expect no more than 3 more years out of him. (maybe less if he suffers a major injury). Should the Cowboys go after a QB in the later rounds? I would like for them to wait and see if Case Keenam can be picked up as a free agent.......... What do you think?

I am a big believer in how GB did it..always look to draft QBs..either develop them for your own team or flip them for draft picks down the road, so yes I think Dallas should always look at QB

Txbroadcaster
04-02-2012, 09:58 AM
http://oi44.tinypic.com/300dyyv.jpg

teams that I think would take Romo in a heartbeat

Bills
Dolphins
Browns
Vikings
Seahawks
Jacksonville
Tennessee
KC
Vikings
Arizona

Teams that I think there would be many long and heated discussions about Romo
NY Jets
Tampa Bay
SF

Farmersfan
04-02-2012, 01:03 PM
teams that I think would take Romo in a heartbeat

Bills
Dolphins
Browns
Vikings
Seahawks
Jacksonville
Tennessee
KC
Vikings
Arizona

Teams that I think there would be many long and heated discussions about Romo
NY Jets
Tampa Bay
SF

Millions and millions of comedians out of work and here you are trying to be funny!!!!:p

Txbroadcaster
04-02-2012, 01:08 PM
Millions and millions of comedians out of work and here you are trying to be funny!!!!:p

how so?

Farmersfan
04-02-2012, 01:16 PM
I am a big believer in how GB did it..always look to draft QBs..either develop them for your own team or flip them for draft picks down the road, so yes I think Dallas should always look at QB

I'm not sure I understand the "How Green Bay did it" comment. How did Green Bay "Do it"? They drafted Aaron Rodgers #23 in the 1st round and let him sit for 3 years behind Favre. But other than Rodgers the Packers have a long, long, long history of sorry QB drafts. They traded Atlanta for Brett Favre after about 20 years of very mediocre QB drafts and signings. Even the recent history of the Cowboys QB situation isn't as bad as the Packer's..............

Txbroadcaster
04-02-2012, 01:26 PM
I'm not sure I understand the "How Green Bay did it" comment. How did Green Bay "Do it"? They drafted Aaron Rodgers #23 in the 1st round and let him sit for 3 years behind Favre. But other than Rodgers the Packers have a long, long, long history of sorry QB drafts. They traded Atlanta for Brett Favre after about 20 years of very mediocre QB drafts and signings. Even the recent history of the Cowboys QB situation isn't as bad as the Packer's..............

We talked about this before

they drafted Mark Brunell and flipped him for a 3rd and 5th

they drafted Matt Hasselback with their 6th round pick and flipped him for 10th pick in first round( trading 7 places up from 17th) and a 3rd round pick

They took a flyer on rodgers with a first round pick

they never were afraid to draft a QB late even though they had Brett an icon entranched as their starters

Add in players like aaron brooks who went on to have some success with the Saints, they were always looking for the next QB who they could stash and build

Farmersfan
04-02-2012, 02:18 PM
We talked about this before

they drafted Mark Brunell and flipped him for a 3rd and 5th

they drafted Matt Hasselback with their 6th round pick and flipped him for 10th pick in first round( trading 7 places up from 17th) and a 3rd round pick

They took a flyer on rodgers with a first round pick

they never were afraid to draft a QB late even though they had Brett an icon entranched as their starters

Add in players like aaron brooks who went on to have some success with the Saints, they were always looking for the next QB who they could stash and build

You mention 3 examples out of a 90 year history of QB failures for the Packers. And 2 of the 3 examples you mentioned weren't even good examples.

The Packers also drafted these QBs:
Brian Brohm
Ingle Martin
Craig Nall
Ron McAda
Kyle Wachhultz
Jay Barker
Ty Detmer
Kirk Baumgartner
Anthony Dilweg
Jeff Graham
Don Majkowski
Robbie Bosco
Joe Shield
Randy White
Rich Campbell
Nickie Hall

and the list goes on and on and on and on and on!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You get my meaning? The Packers got lucky twice on QB drafts in a 90 year history. Let's choose someone else to mimic.

Txbroadcaster
04-02-2012, 02:43 PM
You mention 3 examples out of a 90 year history of QB failures for the Packers. And 2 of the 3 examples you mentioned weren't even good examples.

The Packers also drafted these QBs:
Brian Brohm
Ingle Martin
Craig Nall
Ron McAda
Kyle Wachhultz
Jay Barker
Ty Detmer
Kirk Baumgartner
Anthony Dilweg
Jeff Graham
Don Majkowski
Robbie Bosco
Joe Shield
Randy White
Rich Campbell
Nickie Hall

and the list goes on and on and on and on and on!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You get my meaning? The Packers got lucky twice on QB drafts in a 90 year history. Let's choose someone else to mimic.

so one GM was there for 90 years? I mean really?

Ron Wolf was the GM who started for GB the theory of taking flyers on QBs and seeing what happens..he came on in 1991..everyone who has ran that team since him worked for Wolf

since 1991 they got Franchise QBs in Brett and Rodgers..also drafted Brunell and Hassleback and then add in the likes of Brooks and your talking about a franchise that in 21 years got two SB winning QBs, another QB who went to the SB and another QB who went to a conference title game and was considered one of the top 5 QBs when he was starting..and another who won a play off game all under the same philosophy.

oh abd BTW..none of those were top 5 picks..or top 10....or top 20 and only one was a first round pick at all

how are 2 of 3 not a good example?..every QB either won a SB(2) made it to a Sb(3) won a play off game(all of them) made it to conference title game(4)

Farmersfan
04-02-2012, 03:10 PM
so one GM was there for 90 years? I mean really?

Ron Wolf was the GM who started for GB the theory of taking flyers on QBs and seeing what happens..he came on in 1991..everyone who has ran that team since him worked for Wolf

since 1991 they got Franchise QBs in Brett and Rodgers..also drafted Brunell and Hassleback and then add in the likes of Brooks and your talking about a franchise that in 21 years got two SB winning QBs, another QB who went to the SB and another QB who went to a conference title game and was considered one of the top 5 QBs when he was starting..and another who won a play off game all under the same philosophy.

oh abd BTW..none of those were top 5 picks..or top 10....or top 20 and only one was a first round pick at all

how are 2 of 3 not a good example?..every QB either won a SB(2) made it to a Sb(3) won a play off game(all of them) made it to conference title game(4)

Now you are contradicting yourself TXB. You want to handle our QB situation in Dallas like the "Packers" do yet you then mention a QB they traded a 1st round pick for and a QB they drafted in the 1st round. Are you saying the Cowboys need to invest a 1st rounder in a QB? None of those other QBs that you mentioned are relevant to the Packers success. Matt Hassellbeck was a throw in peice in a horrible trade for the Packers to move up 7 spots to draft a player most people have never heard of in Jamal Reynolds. Aaron Brooks was never a good NFL QB and only played like 5 seasons with a career best QB rating in the low 70s. And the Mark Brunell trade was not a real good trade for the Packers. They got lucky on Brunell but couldn't keep him more than a season and then traded him for what most people considered a steal by Jacksonville. What other QB's are you thinking of? Ty Detmer was a Favre backup for 4 seasons but only played in 7 games in 4 seasons and went out in the Free Agent Market and became a nobody. Am I missing someone else?

Txbroadcaster
04-02-2012, 03:18 PM
Now you are contradicting yourself TXB. You want to handle our QB situation in Dallas like the "Packers" do yet you then mention a QB they traded a 1st round pick for and a QB they drafted in the 1st round. Are you saying the Cowboys need to invest a 1st rounder in a QB? None of those other QBs that you mentioned are relevant to the Packers success. Matt Hassellbeck was a throw in peice in a horrible trade for the Packers to move up 7 spots to draft a player most people have never heard of in Jamal Reynolds. Aaron Brooks was never a good NFL QB and only played like 5 seasons with a career best QB rating in the low 70s. And the Mark Brunell trade was not a real good trade for the Packers. They got lucky on Brunell but couldn't keep him more than a season and then traded him for what most people considered a steal by Jacksonville. What other QB's are you thinking of? Ty Detmer was a Favre backup for 4 seasons but only played in 7 games in 4 seasons and went out in the Free Agent Market and became a nobody. Am I missing someone else?

nvm dude..you just dont get it..you asked if I felt Dallas should draft more QBs I said yes and provided a team that has done just that even when they had a HOF QB entrenched..you say they got lucky with brunell...did they get lucky with Hasselback as well?

and I dont remember anyone saying the Brunell trade at the time was a steal for Jax...it was considere a good deal for GB because they drafted him in 5th round and got two picks for him( one being two rounds higher) and considered a good deal for Jax because they got a young QB..no one said omg Jax raped GB

and it does not matter who GB picked in the draft, the fact they took a 6th round QB and turned that into a top 10 pick is EXACTLY what Dallas should do..draft players, not positions especially late in the draft, develop them and then either have them ready to go or able to flip them down the road for better picks..I am not seeing what the issue is

Bullaholic
04-02-2012, 03:27 PM
This has probably already been done, but if not, how would you rank the Cowboys starting QB's on the following historical listing? :

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Dallas_Cowboys_starting_quarterbacks

If you don't want to rank them all--just rank the Top 10.

Txbroadcaster
04-02-2012, 03:45 PM
This has probably already been done, but if not, how would you rank the Cowboys starting QB's on the following historical listing? :

1. Roger
2. Aikman
3 Romo
4, Meredith/White

Is as far as I will go...the rest is just a jumble

Farmersfan
04-02-2012, 03:51 PM
nvm dude..you just dont get it..you asked if I felt Dallas should draft more QBs I said yes and provided a team that has done just that even when they had a HOF QB entrenched..you say they got lucky with brunell...did they get lucky with Hasselback as well?

and I dont remember anyone saying the Brunell trade at the time was a steal for Jax...it was considere a good deal for GB because they drafted him in 5th round and got two picks for him( one being two rounds higher) and considered a good deal for Jax because they got a young QB..no one said omg Jax raped GB

and it does not matter who GB picked in the draft, the fact they took a 6th round QB and turned that into a top 10 pick is EXACTLY what Dallas should do..draft players, not positions especially late in the draft, develop them and then either have them ready to go or able to flip them down the road for better picks..I am not seeing what the issue is

No! You nvm.............. I did not ask you if Dallas should draft more QBs. I asked you how you felt the Cowboys should handle their QB position considering Romo is 31. You brought up Green Bay and "How they handle it". My questions are very valid questions. Green Bay hasn't been any better than Dallas has at drafting QB's. So I ask again, Are you saying Dallas should invest their 1st rounder in a QB to develop? Seriously. Because the only 2 QBs that Green Bay got that helped their franchise at all were both 1st rounders. The rest is just a bunch of nonsense. They did get a #10 pick in the Hassellbeck trade. But they lost a #17 pick and several 7th rounders to get Jamal Reynolds. That was not a good trade. Brunell was a quality QB but the Packers didn't know that and traded him away for basically very little. So I repeat: What does Green Bay do that we should imitate?

Txbroadcaster
04-02-2012, 04:02 PM
No! You nvm.............. I did not ask you if Dallas should draft more QBs. I asked you how you felt the Cowboys should handle their QB position considering Romo is 31. You brought up Green Bay and "How they handle it". My questions are very valid questions. Green Bay hasn't been any better than Dallas has at drafting QB's. So I ask again, Are you saying Dallas should invest their 1st rounder in a QB to develop? Seriously. Because the only 2 QBs that Green Bay got that helped their franchise at all were both 1st rounders. The rest is just a bunch of nonsense. They did get a #10 pick in the Hassellbeck trade. But they lost a #17 pick and several 7th rounders to get Jamal Reynolds. That was not a good trade. Brunell was a quality QB but the Packers didn't know that and traded him away for basically very little. So I repeat: What does Green Bay do that we should imitate?

what mutiple 7th round picks? They traded Hasselback and 17th pick for 10th pick and a 3rd round pick..so they drafted a QB in the 6th round that sllowed them to move into the top 10 AND get a 3rd round pick..AGAIN who they picked is not the issue, the fact they flipped a 6th round pick for that is a good move all around.

again..drafting anyone in 5th round and flipping them for a 3rd and a 5th is quality work..does not matter if it was a QB, a RB, a DE or anything..and now you know for a fact GB did not know what Brunell was? It is not like they could go to teams and say hey we drafted a 5th round guy but a year later we think he is a first round guy..they got maxium value out of trade..so did Jax

And hell yes if someone like Luck or RGIII fell to Dallas in first round I would be 10000% behind them drafting that player he would be best value on the board BY FAR

Eagle 1
04-02-2012, 09:06 PM

1. Roger
2. Aikman
3. Meredith
4. Romo=White

The rest are a wash to me.

Txbroadcaster
04-02-2012, 09:25 PM
1. Roger
2. Aikman
3. Meredith
4. Romo=White

The rest are a wash to me.

Dandy Don 1-3 in play offs and quit because of the stress His last play off game he started 3 of 9 with 3 int

Bullaholic
04-02-2012, 09:48 PM
Dandy Don 1-3 in play offs and quit because of the stress His last play off game he started 3 of 9 with 3 int

Only because of the Packer dynasty of that era. I would also place Dandy Don ahead of Romo at this point because he was a true team leader who was liked by his fellow players and fans alike.

Tejastrue
04-02-2012, 10:35 PM

I guess you can translate family issues into stress. He did indeed have many distractions which caused him to lose his edge and desire for the game but all I will say about Meredith is "Ring of Honor"...highly doubt we'll ever see Romo's name there.

Eagle 1
04-03-2012, 07:52 AM

"Dandy Don," while never leading the Cowboys to a Super Bowl, was always exceptionally popular with Cowboys fans who remember him for his grit and toughness, his outgoing nature, and his leadership during the first winning seasons for the Cowboys. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Don_Meredith

Leadership, key word.
Not to mention he was the NFL player of the year in 1966, and a three time pro-bowl player.

Farmersfan
04-03-2012, 08:55 AM
what mutiple 7th round picks? They traded Hasselback and 17th pick for 10th pick and a 3rd round pick..so they drafted a QB in the 6th round that sllowed them to move into the top 10 AND get a 3rd round pick..AGAIN who they picked is not the issue, the fact they flipped a 6th round pick for that is a good move all around.

again..drafting anyone in 5th round and flipping them for a 3rd and a 5th is quality work..does not matter if it was a QB, a RB, a DE or anything..and now you know for a fact GB did not know what Brunell was? It is not like they could go to teams and say hey we drafted a 5th round guy but a year later we think he is a first round guy..they got maxium value out of trade..so did Jax

And hell yes if someone like Luck or RGIII fell to Dallas in first round I would be 10000% behind them drafting that player he would be best value on the board BY FAR

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matt_Hasselbeck

It doesn't matter TXB! The Cowboys have the #14 pick in the draft and RGIII or Luck will NOT be available at that spot. Ryan Tannehill might be available at #14. Would you agree with that pick? I am pretty certain the Cowboys aren't thinking about QBs in this draft because they have Orton and McGee which are both serviceable for now. But a decision has to be made pretty soon on the direction of this franchise. The Tony Romo house of cards will be coming down in a big stinking pile before long and they better have a backup plan. If McGee is the answer for the future then signing Orton was foolish. Or does Jerry think he can find another QB that can't even earn the backup spot for 4 years and plays behind such greats as Kitna and Orton but will then be handed the Franchise Tag and a huge contract?