PDA

View Full Version : Tortilla Soup

Bullaholic
03-14-2012, 01:50 PM
I have seen a ton of receipes for tortilla soup, and have tried several. Found only one I like so far. Is there such a thing as an authentic Mexican tortilla soup receipe, or do most taste like tomato soup with veggies and tortilla strips sprinkled in?

ccmom
03-14-2012, 02:05 PM
I have seen a ton of receipes for tortilla soup, and have tried several. Found only one I like so far. Is there such a thing as an authentic Mexican tortilla soup receipe, or do most taste like tomato soup with veggies and tortilla strips sprinkled in?

That's what I ate for lunch! However it was in a local restaurant and it was soooo good!!

Farmersfan
03-14-2012, 02:13 PM

There are a million variations on the broth for tortilla soup.

I make a chicken stock and add Rotel tomatoes & green chilis, chopped green onions and Chipotle Chili Power. (Season this with whatever other spice you might like). After this simmers for quite a while I add fresh cut cilantro.
Then I cut corn tortillas into narrow strips and deep fry them until they are crisp. I use either grilled chicken breast or baked chicken breasts cut into 1" pieces. Put chicken in bowl with Fiesta blend shredded cheese, Sliced avocadoes and tortilla strips. Pour over broth. Don't let the tortilla strips get soggy. Mix these in as every bowl is served. I make this during football season for the gang and everyone loves it. Be care with the chipotle chile power because it is pretty strong. It gives the soup a smokey flavor but will also make it very spicy.

AP Panther Fan
03-14-2012, 03:29 PM
There are a million variations on the broth for tortilla soup.

I make a chicken stock and add Rotel tomatoes & green chilis, chopped green onions and Chipotle Chili Power. (Season this with whatever other spice you might like). After this simmers for quite a while I add fresh cut cilantro.
Then I cut corn tortillas into narrow strips and deep fry them until they are crisp. I use either grilled chicken breast or baked chicken breasts cut into 1" pieces. Put chicken in bowl with Fiesta blend shredded cheese, Sliced avocadoes and tortilla strips. Pour over broth. Don't let the tortilla strips get soggy. Mix these in as every bowl is served. I make this during football season for the gang and everyone loves it. Be care with the chipotle chile power because it is pretty strong. It gives the soup a smokey flavor but will also make it very spicy.

This sounds verrrrry good. I have got to quit skipping lunch...reading this was like some sort of cruel and unusual punishment.:(

gtownfan
03-14-2012, 04:23 PM
There is a good mix that you can get at stores. I've seen it at HEB, Brookshire Brothers and Super Walmart's, but it's in a bag outlined in green and it's from Bear Creek Country Kitchens. Just add chopped up pre-grilled chicken strips and your set! Simple but good!

Leopard4Life
03-14-2012, 07:48 PM
Bear Creek is pretty good. They also have a good black bean soup and a few others. Pampered chef has a good mix. The best is homemade, however it is too much work. If you have a Sprout's near you they have great chicken tenders to go in the soup.

regaleagle
03-14-2012, 08:39 PM
Farmersfan's recipe was a great one. I would maybe add comino(cumin) and that would be it. Otherwise, when's soup??

hollywood
03-15-2012, 07:41 AM
Farmersfan's is about as authentic as you can get. That's basically how the Mexicans do it. Pre-mix packages aren't good IMO. Too many preservatives and superficial tasting.

RoyceTTU
03-15-2012, 07:47 AM
i got food poisoning in chilis in lubbock eating this. So bad i had to have an IV

I still eat it at chilis, i'm not scared

Farmersfan
03-15-2012, 08:05 AM
I think a big secret to good tortilla soup is the cheese. I actually use to add only Monterrey Jack or Colby cheese and then switched to the fiesta blend that seems to give it a little better overall flavor. Give it a try.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Great-Value-Finely-Shredded-Fiesta-Blend-Cheese-32-oz/10452468