PDA

View Full Version : Dallas and Washington Salary Cap Issues

Old Tiger
03-12-2012, 09:10 PM
What do yall think? Goodell is a sleazy asshole IMO.

bobcat1
03-12-2012, 09:31 PM
What do yall think? Goodell is a sleazy asshole IMO. Yes he is..... but then so is Jerrah Jones.

Txbroadcaster
03-12-2012, 11:04 PM
This makes no sense at all..basically the Cowboys and Skins are being penalized for not doing something illegal

Saggy Aggie
03-12-2012, 11:23 PM
I mean the Cowboys abused the no cap year. I dont see any black and white rules they broke but what they did was sly, particularly the case with miles Austin's contract.

Obviously there were some kinda rules in place about what went on otherwise every team would've done what those 2 did. You can't get punished this severely if there were no stipulations. I'm sure teams could spend as much as they wanted in 2010, but I'm willing to bet you couldn't pay your players a disproportionate amount of their contract in 1 uncapped year to have an advantage in later years

coach
03-12-2012, 11:54 PM
It was tony romo's fault

Txbroadcaster
03-13-2012, 01:07 AM
I mean the Cowboys abused the no cap year. I dont see any black and white rules they broke but what they did was sly, particularly the case with miles Austin's contract.

Obviously there were some kinda rules in place about what went on otherwise every team would've done what those 2 did. You can't get punished this severely if there were no stipulations. I'm sure teams could spend as much as they wanted in 2010, but I'm willing to bet you couldn't pay your players a disproportionate amount of their contract in 1 uncapped year to have an advantage in later years

nothing was written( it could not be or it would be collusion). If Dallas( or any team) wanted to truly take advantage of the no cap they would have dumped the big salaries..like for Dallas, dumping Barber, Williams, Davis etc etc..instead they waited till the cap was back in place which in turn gave dallas dead money last year and this year

The really strange thing is teams like the Bears and Packers did the same thing, but no penalty.

Farmersfan
03-13-2012, 07:38 AM
Goodell is a power hungry, egotistical moron. I've said a million times that someone needs to put him in his place. If there were no rules in place then this is nothing more than his own personal judgement and Jerry should be able to shred that in court in a heartbeat. Seems to me that in a no-cap year a owner could pay every single players full contract salary if he chose to do so. I know Goodell is thinking the Jerry violated the "Spirit" of the situation and tried to generate an advantage over other teams and even if it is snake-like it certainly shouldn't be illegal. Of course Goodell has the backing of all the other owners and the NFL is basically a monopoly so Jerry probably won't fight it to much. The problem in my opinion is with the fact that probably a lot more teams did the exact same thing to some extent and won't be singled out.

Txbroadcaster
03-13-2012, 08:27 AM
Goodell is a power hungry, egotistical moron. I've said a million times that someone needs to put him in his place. If there were no rules in place then this is nothing more than his own personal judgement and Jerry should be able to shred that in court in a heartbeat. Seems to me that in a no-cap year a owner could pay every single players full contract salary if he chose to do so. I know Goodell is thinking the Jerry violated the "Spirit" of the situation and tried to generate an advantage over other teams and even if it is snake-like it certainly shouldn't be illegal. Of course Goodell has the backing of all the other owners and the NFL is basically a monopoly so Jerry probably won't fight it to much. The problem in my opinion is with the fact that probably a lot more teams did the exact same thing to some extent and won't be singled out.

this is not Goodell this was the managment committe..I think they just got butt hurt that teams would not collude

Farmersfan
03-13-2012, 09:04 AM
this is not Goodell this was the managment committe..I think they just got butt hurt that teams would not collude

You are probably right. But once again if it's not in writing then it wasn't a rule and Jerry could beat it if he chose to. The problem is Jerry is a big player in the committees that make all these silly rules and decisions so he won't fight this because it would come back to bite him in the butt at a later date. I can't imagine how the Cowboys could be in worse cap shape. Just another example of Jerry's poor abilities as a GM. They won't have money to improve the team even after a terrible 8-8 season. Perhaps this would be enough for the owner to fire that stupid GM!!!!!! :)

Txbroadcaster
03-13-2012, 09:07 AM
You are probably right. But once again if it's not in writing then it wasn't a rule and Jerry could beat it if he chose to. The problem is Jerry is a big player in the committees that make all these silly rules and decisions so he won't fight this because it would come back to bite him in the butt at a later date. I can't imagine how the Cowboys could be in worse cap shape. Just another example of Jerry's poor abilities as a GM. They won't have money to improve the team even after a terrible 8-8 season. Perhaps this would be enough for the owner to fire that stupid GM!!!!!! :)

Actually they are still in fine cap shape which is one reason I dont think he will fight it...another being you fight this and danger messing up the CBA..but Dallas will still have the money to sign who they want

Farmersfan
03-13-2012, 09:37 AM
Actually they are still in fine cap shape which is one reason I dont think he will fight it...another being you fight this and danger messing up the CBA..but Dallas will still have the money to sign who they want

Everything i could find about the Cowboy's cap room this season indicates they will have only 13 million to spend. Only 8 million if they take the entire 10 million dollar cap loss this season instead of spreading it out over two seasons. This includes paying to keep existing players. I would not call this "fine cap shape". But I have to admit the information available on the Dallas Cap room is pretty sparse................

Txbroadcaster
03-13-2012, 09:40 AM
Everything i could find about the Cowboy's cap room this season indicates they will have only 13 million to spend. Only 8 million if they take the entire 10 million dollar cap loss this season instead of spreading it out over two seasons. This includes paying to keep existing players. I would not call this "fine cap shape". But I have to admit the information available on the Dallas Cap room is pretty sparse................

with releasing T-New and changing contracts they can free up to 20 million. And I bet they move the hit to next year when they have alot of dead money coming off the books

Farmersfan
03-13-2012, 10:03 AM
with releasing T-New and changing contracts they can free up to 20 million. And I bet they move the hit to next year when they have alot of dead money coming off the books

I don't see how they could NOT release T-New. There is no way in hell he is worth 10 mil next season. I don't see him getting any other offers even close to that. But I also don't think Dallas will find anyone that is an overall better option than him unless they offer 10 mil or more. Like him or not he has pretty much anchored this defense for a decade. I would keep him if I could get him for 3 mil or less..................
Who will they sign for their defensive backfield in your opinion?

Txbroadcaster
03-13-2012, 10:30 AM
I don't see how they could NOT release T-New. There is no way in hell he is worth 10 mil next season. I don't see him getting any other offers even close to that. But I also don't think Dallas will find anyone that is an overall better option than him unless they offer 10 mil or more. Like him or not he has pretty much anchored this defense for a decade. I would keep him if I could get him for 3 mil or less..................
Who will they sign for their defensive backfield in your opinion?

The two obvious choices is CB Cortland Finnegan and CB Brandon Carr..I like Carr because he is bigger and today's WR seem to be getting taller and taller

Buckeye1980
03-13-2012, 11:42 AM
My problem with this (and I am NOT a cowgirl fan) is the commisioner's office has to approve all contracts, which they did, so how can the cowgirls be penalized for something that was approved? Just from what I have heard , this is what happened.

Farmersfan
03-13-2012, 01:18 PM
My problem with this (and I am NOT a cowgirl fan) is the commisioner's office has to approve all contracts, which they did, so how can the cowgirls be penalized for something that was approved? Just from what I have heard , this is what happened.

this is what I read also. It has been stated that the NFL had to wheel and deal with the FLPA to get them to agree to this penalty for the "skins and cowboys. Apparently the 10million will be split up amoung the other teams as Salary Cap. So not only does Dallas lose 10 million but every other team gains in salary cap whatever percentage they get of that 10million. Seems really, really shady to me...................

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/03/12/nflpa-agreed-to-cowboysredskins-salary-cap-sanctions/

Roughneck93
03-13-2012, 02:09 PM
Terence Newman released as expected. Hopefully the Cowboys are able to sign Brandon Carr.

http://espn.go.com/dallas/nfl/story/_/id/7681651/dallas-cowboys-release-cornerback-terence-newman-source-says

Farmersfan
03-13-2012, 02:28 PM
Terence Newman released as expected. Hopefully the Cowboys are able to sign Brandon Carr.

http://espn.go.com/dallas/nfl/story/_/id/7681651/dallas-cowboys-release-cornerback-terence-newman-source-says

I hope so. I heard on the radio that people are saying Finnegan has pretty a bad attitude and is a problem. Have you heard any of that?

Roughneck93
03-13-2012, 02:51 PM
I hope so. I heard on the radio that people are saying Finnegan has pretty a bad attitude and is a problem. Have you heard any of that?Mainly hear of poor leadership skills. I think we all know of his feisty attitude on the field that sometimes leads to silly penalties.

Farmersfan
03-14-2012, 07:52 AM
Mainly hear of poor leadership skills. I think we all know of his feisty attitude on the field that sometimes leads to silly penalties.

Doesn't matter now. I saw where Finnagen signed with the Rams.

http://www.tennessean.com/article/20120314/NEWS/303140130/Cortland-Finnegan-signs-Rams-reunites-Jeff-Fisher

Txbroadcaster
03-14-2012, 07:55 AM
Doesn't matter now. I saw where Finnagen signed with the Rams.

http://www.tennessean.com/article/20120314/NEWS/303140130/Cortland-Finnegan-signs-Rams-reunites-Jeff-Fisher

Dallas never really went after him..Carr is the one they want

Farmersfan
03-14-2012, 08:01 AM
I don't know if any of you watch Pardon the Interuption on ESPN in the afternoons but they were discussing the Dallas and Washington loss of Salary Cap money yesterday. Both guys said it was a screwed up deal by the NFL and Tony Kornheiser stated that he believes that Snyder and Jones should get lawyers and sue the NFL. He said that Al Davis was the only owner who ever seemed willing to take on the NFL. I think I completely agree with this. I don't understand how a owner of a billion dollar franchise would allow himself to be railroaded into situations that harm his team and fans. Bottom Line: NFL approves every contract before it's finalized. These contracts that Dallas and Washington are being punished for were pre-approved. Retroactive punishment is bad enough but add in the fact that the NFL in punishing for contracts they approved and it seems to be a slam shut case for the owners. Am I missing something? Is this like the restaurant owner who knows the health inspector is wrong but doesn't dare fight back because the health inspector will be doing future inspections? Stay tuned!

Txbroadcaster
03-14-2012, 08:13 AM
I don't know if any of you watch Pardon the Interuption on ESPN in the afternoons but they were discussing the Dallas and Washington loss of Salary Cap money yesterday. Both guys said it was a screwed up deal by the NFL and Tony Kornheiser stated that he believes that Snyder and Jones should get lawyers and sue the NFL. He said that Al Davis was the only owner who ever seemed willing to take on the NFL. I think I completely agree with this. I don't understand how a owner of a billion dollar franchise would allow himself to be railroaded into situations that harm his team and fans. Bottom Line: NFL approves every contract before it's finalized. These contracts that Dallas and Washington are being punished for were pre-approved. Retroactive punishment is bad enough but add in the fact that the NFL in punishing for contracts they approved and it seems to be a slam shut case for the owners. Am I missing something? Is this like the restaurant owner who knows the health inspector is wrong but doesn't dare fight back because the health inspector will be doing future inspections? Stay tuned!

Jones has went after the NFL before and won..I think this will all come down to is it worth it...they sue and it could unravel a bunch of stuff including the CBA. I think instead Jones will use this for clout behind the scene( such as getting another SB)

Roughneck93
03-14-2012, 08:25 AM
I see the Redskins spoke with the NFL yesterday concerning the salary cap controversy. Hopefully Dallas follows suit and they both don't let this go away.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/03/14/league-redskins-talked-about-salary-cap-controversy-on-tuesday/

Farmersfan
03-14-2012, 02:19 PM
Jones has went after the NFL before and won..I think this will all come down to is it worth it...they sue and it could unravel a bunch of stuff including the CBA. I think instead Jones will use this for clout behind the scene( such as getting another SB)

I'm not sure how it all works but based on the articles I read it appears like the NFL would have set the salary cap at about 116 million for each team if they didn't get approval from the NFLPA to do this. this was the bargaining chip the NFL had to convince the NFLPA to go along with it..............