PDA

View Full Version : Why Texas HS Basketball needs a shot clock.

Phil C
03-12-2012, 07:29 PM
It is only a time before something like this happens in Texas. I hate it when basketball becomes basketstall even when it benefits the team I am for. If shot clocks would be too expensive to install then the refs can time them but only at a judgement since the action is moving all the time and at the end of one minute if a team hasn't made a shot that hit the rim he can call time out and give the other team a warning and they would have maybe thirty seconds to make a shot that at least hits the rim and if they don't then possession changes. Of course at the final two minute warning of regulation this rule wouldn't apply but would apply in OT.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/highschool-prep-rally/crazy-stall-tactics-leave-oregon-girls-basketball-title-161914113.html

CenTexSports
03-12-2012, 07:38 PM
Phil, I think you forgot to take you meds today. Double them up tomorrow and re-think this after they kick in.

Farmersfan
03-13-2012, 07:58 AM
This would take the High School game the way of the Pros. Why change the rules to benefit offensive minded teams and penalize defensive teams? Of course it is a little more boring watching a stall type offense but at least at the High School level the sport isn't meant to be played for the spectators.

Phil C
03-13-2012, 09:59 AM
This would take the High School game the way of the Pros. Why change the rules to benefit offensive minded teams and penalize defensive teams? Of course it is a little more boring watching a stall type offense but at least at the High School level the sport isn't meant to be played for the spectators.

Then just change the name of the game to basketstall so as to at least not mislead the spectators. :)

icu812
03-13-2012, 01:24 PM
I think a shot clock is a bad idea. I hate the NBA shot clock. I don't feel there is enough time to run much of an offense. IMO, to much 1 on 1. I like to see a team be patient and get a high percentage shot instead. Stalling is only a problem when both teams agree to play that way. Plus, we would have never had the movie Hoosiers if there had been a shot clock.

Bosqueville
03-13-2012, 04:49 PM
I agree with Phil C on this one. watching some of the games this weekend was so frustrating. To hold the ball for the last shot for 30 or 40 seconds is one thing but for over 2 minutes...

Txbroadcaster
03-13-2012, 06:47 PM
I think a shot clock is a bad idea. I hate the NBA shot clock. I don't feel there is enough time to run much of an offense. IMO, to much 1 on 1. I like to see a team be patient and get a high percentage shot instead. Stalling is only a problem when both teams agree to play that way. Plus, we would have never had the movie Hoosiers if there had been a shot clock.

there was no one on one back in the 80's when it was Showtime, the Celtics and the Sixers all playing team ball...the 24 second clock did not create one on one..Jordan did

regaleagle
03-13-2012, 09:39 PM
:wave:Argyle is silent on this matter, and smiling.:)

Phil C
03-13-2012, 10:24 PM
:wave:Argyle is silent on this matter, and smiling.:)

And deservedly so. I don't blame teams for using it if it is to their advantage but a rule could change it and make the Argyles of tomorrow change that smile to a frown. :)