PDA

View Full Version : New Wharton coach-Ad

ExScoop
03-10-2012, 03:01 PM
From the Wharton Journal-Spectator
The Wharton School Board on Friday named Tim Finn as the new athletic director and head football coach for the Wharton Tigers.

Finn had coached at Texas City High School for 21 years, including the last 10 as head coach and AD.

The district had 62 applicants for the position, which became open when former athletic director Brad Wright resigned in February to take a similar position with the Waller ISD.

A committee narrowed the choices to six, who were interviewed. The board also met Thursday to consider the position before the vote on Friday. Superintendent Kay Shoppa made the recommendation to hire Finn, and the decision was a unanimous vote.

We’re very excited,” School Board President Gary Ward said. “We’re looking forward to this.”

Ward said he liked the fact that Finn had been at Texas City for so long.

“He’s been in Texas City for 21 years,” Ward said. “He built the program up.”

Ward said Finn is committed to discipline and the same philosophy that was brought in by Wright last year.

“We liked that,” Ward said.

Shoppa said she was “delighted” that Finn will oversee the school district’s athletic program.

“We are looking forward to a long and successful relationship with him,” Shoppa said. “He comes to us with 11 years experience serving as Texas City’s athletic director; a program which boasts two state championships. He has coached not only at high school, but at the college level as well. Coach Finn has a reputation of building and coordinating winning programs. We think he is an excellent fit for our schools and community.”

Finn said he was impressed with the people in Wharton during the interview process.

“The most significant thing is the people,” Finn said. “I’m looking forward to building a great relationship here.”

Finn said he felt like Wharton would be very similar to Texas City.

The new coach said he is glad to be joining a football program that had its deepest run in the playoffs since 1950.

“I’d like to build on that success from the 2011 football season and do what I can with the other programs,” Finn said.

Finn’s hiring was effective immediately, but with Spring Break on the horizon next week, he expects to meet with the team on the Monday after Spring Break, March 19.

Finn, whio is from Illinois, received his bachelor of science degree from the University of Dubuque in Iowa in 1982 and a master of science in sports administration from Texas Tech in 1983.

He has also coached at Abilene Cooper, Lubbock Cooper and was a graduate assistant at Texas Tech and Lubbock Christian College.

Finn also coached at high schools in Illinois and Iowa.

bird_fan
03-11-2012, 06:51 AM
Is it possible West Columbis loss in a good head coach become Whartons gain? This should make the Wharton Columbia game this year interesting

SHSBulldog00
03-11-2012, 10:44 AM
Is it possible West Columbis loss in a good head coach become Whartons gain? This should make the Wharton Columbia game this year interesting

You could look at it that way. Hopefully for Wharton's sake it works out.

yellaseeker
03-11-2012, 01:15 PM

The impact on Columbia will be far less than on Wharton. I see Columbia's program staying pretty much the same for the most part since we inherited an already established OC as our AD/HC. Not sure how a new to the program AD/HC will change things up for Wharton. We lost a good AD for sure but, one thing Surovik did, was gave a lot of control and trust to his OC and DC along with the other assistants. IMO, Columbia selecting Lynch for the job was a no brainer when it comes to keeping the program on the same track which was a good one that surovik deserves a lot of credit for. Looking at the talent for next year for Columbia, I don't see Wharton getting in our way of another district championship. Now, La Marque may be a different story and I'll reserve my prediction on that game on a later date.