PDA

View Full Version : Anybody planting a vegetable garden this spring?

Cam
03-08-2012, 03:58 PM
We're getting our dirt ready. The weeds this year are going crazy. I was thinking of using corn gluten on my garden for weed control but I may be too late cause that stuff only stops the seeds from sprouting. Any suggestions besides what I know I'm gonna hear from you jokers?.....go to the HEB vegetable section!

defense51
03-08-2012, 05:39 PM
Hand removal and a good hoe. Add lots of compost after tilling, the richer the soil the less weeds you'll have. Weeds are natures way of covering bare soil and preventing erosion, they are genetically programmed to thrive on low quality soils. I would not use the corn gluten meal on the garden to remove the weeds for a couple of reasons. If you apply the cgm after weed germinating begins, it acts as a super fertilizer and you will have huge healthy weeds that are near impossible to get rid of. Second reason is it can damage the establishment of your food crops started from seed. You can use it as a fertilizer after your vegetable seeds are up and young plant roots are well established. Hope that helps.

toddg
03-08-2012, 07:37 PM
Hand removal and a good hoe. Add lots of compost after tilling, the richer the soil the less weeds you'll have. Weeds are natures way of covering bare soil and preventing erosion, they are genetically programmed to thrive on low quality soils. I would not use the corn gluten meal on the garden to remove the weeds for a couple of reasons. If you apply the cgm after weed germinating begins, it acts as a super fertilizer and you will have huge healthy weeds that are near impossible to get rid of. Second reason is it can damage the establishment of your food crops started from seed. You can use it as a fertilizer after your vegetable seeds are up and young plant roots are well established. Hope that helps.

your gardening knowledge is impressive!

greendawg84
03-09-2012, 09:34 AM
We're getting our dirt ready. The weeds this year are going crazy. I was thinking of using corn gluten on my garden for weed control but I may be too late cause that stuff only stops the seeds from sprouting. Any suggestions besides what I know I'm gonna hear from you jokers?.....go to the HEB vegetable section!

Somehow in my mind I just cant see YOU working in a garden ???? You must have finally gotten all that city boy outta you !
I already planted Taters and Onions last month , put the first Tomatoes out 3-1 .

Use Cotton Seed Meal for fertilizer , you can get it at the feed store. If you put it around the Tomatoes it helps retain water and acts as food. Old school trick learned from the real farmers !

Cam
03-09-2012, 10:30 AM

Thanks D51!

Cam
03-09-2012, 10:38 AM
Somehow in my mind I just cant see YOU working in a garden ???? You must have finally gotten all that city boy outta you !
I already planted Taters and Onions last month , put the first Tomatoes out 3-1 .

Use Cotton Seed Meal for fertilizer , you can get it at the feed store. If you put it around the Tomatoes it helps retain water and acts as food. Old school trick learned from the real farmers !

Been doin' it for years now....kinda wingin' it though....that's why I'm askin' the experts......to be honest, my boy is really into it (4H and all) and he's the one keepin' me busy!....he's already got all kinds of seeds sproutin' in the greenhouse...Now he's wanting me to help dig a trench so we can run some PVC to the garden and install a faucet for better water access.....oh boy that kid wears me out!.........his granpa (mommas dad) was a farmer so he's been givin' him advice as well...

buckeyebob
03-10-2012, 06:54 AM
Nuke 'em with Round Up...better living through chemistry.

LionFan72
03-10-2012, 09:25 AM
Old childhood pastor said to put one cup cottenseed in hole, one cup sugar, place tomato plant on top, and you have the sweetest and largest tomatoes ever. It works!

Gontex
03-10-2012, 10:00 AM

I built an above ground bed specifically for tomatoes. I love those home grown babies. I cleaned the ground real good, put down a weed blocker, topped that with pea gravel, covered that with about a quarter inch of newspaper and then filled that thing up with a good turkey manure compost. It has great draingage. I planted a couple of plants on Feb. 27. I figured I would risk a couple of plants to try to get some early tomatoes. So far so good. I plan on adding more tomato plants during spring break. My lemon tree is blooming and the bees are having a great time with it. Fig tree is just starting to leaf out. Looks like spring is not far away. Damned day light savings time. Add to that the 13 inches of rain we have had since December and things are looking good.