PDA

View Full Version : Athletic Fees

ExScoop
03-06-2012, 05:35 PM
Channel 13 ABC affilate out of Houston announced that Clear Creek ISD will implement athletics fees starting in the fall. Clear Creek is in League City off of I 45 going to Galveston

ExScoop
03-06-2012, 10:21 PM
Heard that it $50 for first athlete and then $30 extra for a sibbling

Tejastrue
03-06-2012, 10:34 PM
If I'm not mistaken I believe Wimberley has been charging $50 per athlete for a while now. Band fees top out around $150.00 per student. :ack!:

SHSBulldog00
03-07-2012, 12:42 AM
There had been talk of doing that in Sweeny a few years ago but it hasn't happend yet.

3afan
03-07-2012, 07:04 AM
can't blame ISDs for doing this ... times r tough

Gone Fishing
03-07-2012, 10:37 AM
Wimberley is a 100 dollars. It was 50 several years ago but went up. There has been a fee as long as I can remember, thought ever school did it.

MGAR
03-07-2012, 10:49 AM
We don't here..

I'd be shocked if we did in my lifetime.

ExScoop
03-07-2012, 11:02 PM
I wonder when it will trickle down to Class A and 2A schools if at all?

And do you think more schools will be implementing it when the lack of funds with the cost with rising gas prices, etc

Z's daddy
03-08-2012, 12:24 AM
This is done in lots of areas of the country. With the budgets being so tight at a lot of schools, the districts are trying to offset costs anyway they can. If you have a student pop of 1000 and 650 of those participate in athletics at $100 a piece, then that is $65K. That is quite a bit cash for the athletic program to use to help offset budget shortfalls. It could also mean the difference in a coach keeping or losing a job based on school finances. It is happening more and more. There are ways to come up with the money for the athletes (fund raisers, etc.), and you could even set up payment plans for those athletes that have a hard time coming up with all of the money at once. What you don't want it to turn into is an AAU or club team atmosphere. When this happens, then parents feel that their son or daughter should get to play as much as everyone else because they paid the same amount. It is still a privilege to be on the team, not a right. You still have to earn the playing time. It's not little league. I wish that schools were not having to resort to this, but like someone said before, times are tough and you want to allow students the opportunity to play interscholastic sports.