PDA

View Full Version : El Campo ???????

Old Green
02-23-2012, 08:34 PM
While I've enjoyed everyone input about Stephenville, La Marque, and Yates. Everyone seems to have forgotten about the Rice Birds of El Campo. They have been the smallest team in their 4A district and always competitve in all sports. They just always run into a Houston area team with more numbers and athletes. I think they could possibly be the darkhorse of Region 4 and could possibly make the SC.

Opinons anyone.

Saggy Aggie
02-23-2012, 08:36 PM
Completely agree. Very strong team year in and year consistently going a few rounds in 4A. I think EC prolly ends up being region champs

Old Green
02-23-2012, 08:45 PM
Completely agree. Very strong team year in and year consistently going a few rounds in 4A. I think EC prolly ends up being region champs:iagree: They always contended, but were always outmamanned by thr Pearlands and Manvel teams in the past.

toddg
02-23-2012, 08:47 PM
yeah, they had the misfortune of facing Manvel in the 1st round last year...played'em pretty tough though.

Roughneck93
02-23-2012, 08:57 PM
Completely agree. Very strong team year in and year consistently going a few rounds in 4A. I think EC prolly ends up being region champs+1...I've got them pegged as my preseason D1 Region IV champ. Ricebirds always seem to reload more often than they rebuild. They hung with a pretty good Manvel team(which just moved up to 5A) in the first round of the playoffs this past year.

Old Green
02-23-2012, 09:02 PM
+1...I've got them pegged as my preseason D1 Region IV champ. Ricebirds always seem to reload more often than they rebuild. They hung with a pretty good Manvel team(which just moved up to 5A) in the first round of the playoffs this past year.That's what I'm talking about. They play hard and always reload. I don't know how many starters will be back, but I bet they replace them easily.

'Necks 2013-14
02-23-2012, 09:14 PM
EC has a STRONG winning tradition....one of the highest percentages in the state from what I remember. Never underestimate the 'Birds!

Manso/V8
02-23-2012, 10:28 PM
They are in a district with Sealy and Bellville........put the Ricebirds at 3rd in the district and the D1 representative.

pancho villa
02-24-2012, 08:23 AM
They are in a district with Sealy and Bellville........put the Ricebirds at 3rd in the district and the D1 representative.

EC win win the district!!!!

YTBulldogs
02-24-2012, 08:33 AM
Old Green, you are right in regards to EC. This team will be very dominating in 3A. Yikes!!!

ExScoop
02-24-2012, 09:30 AM
Ricebirds have a great coach in Bob Gillis.
Just being the largest schools in Region doesn't give them the title
They don't have any superstars on the team that can dominate.
They will be well disciplinted

Old Green
02-24-2012, 11:22 AM
Ricebirds have a great coach in Bob Gillis.
Just being the largest schools in Region doesn't give them the title
They don't have any superstars on the team that can dominate.
They will be well disciplintedHow many years has Coach Gillis been at EC now. I know he left one time to coach at Victoria, but went back to EC.?

Saggy Aggie
02-24-2012, 11:29 AM
Ricebirds will Win their district. Sealy even with rsj is no match

scrub c
02-24-2012, 12:14 PM
EC will run the table in that district.

Manso/V8
02-24-2012, 08:37 PM
Yall are getting way ahead of yourselves......El Campo is no longer a 4a team, they are just plain ole' 3a.
Most of yall are consistently wrong in your predictions, I doubt if they are/will be significantly better than Sealy or Bellville,
So, give it a 33% chance that El Campo will win district.

Dogs_21
02-25-2012, 04:44 PM
I also agree that EC will win their District!

bird_fan
02-28-2012, 08:05 PM
El Campo will be an serious contender But I wont think it will just be theres. Bellville is a team also with a great winning tradition as is Sealy ( 4 streaight state champs wow) EC is $-3 vs Bellville and 3-2 Vs Sealy so you know these team will play each other close.

Old Green
02-28-2012, 08:12 PM
El Campo will be an serious contender But I wont think it will just be theres. Bellville is a team also with a great winning tradition as is Sealy ( 4 streaight state champs wow) EC is $-3 vs Bellville and 3-2 Vs Sealy so you know these team will play each other close.Glad to see you posting bird_fan:wave:

ExScoop
02-28-2012, 09:56 PM
I know none of Gillis' teams during both tenures have never lost to Wharton

The Tigers las wins over EC came when Mike Rice was there

EC should win district it football easly. but winning region will be tougher than most think

EC will have good depth but doesn't have any supestarts liuke Deven Parks when he played for the Birds 3 years ago

regaleagle
02-28-2012, 10:52 PM
After seeing tape of RSJ as a junior, I wouldn't be so quick to crown EC as district champ. What is tradition and history is a good gauge, but not necessarily gonna hold true every year. Sealy looks like a real threat to me.

Manso/V8
02-29-2012, 12:53 AM
I guess the staff at DCTF didn't get the memo that El Campo was in 3a this year, or maybe they did............of course there are the usual over-rated, or should I say over-ranked teams, and some teams that are there based on momentum from last year, but you would think that if El Campo was all that, that they would at least be ranked ahead of district foes Bellville and Sealy.

DCTF Magazine Winter Edition

1. Stephenville

2. Carthage

3. Gilmer

4. Celina

5. La Marque

6. Sealy

7. Navasota

8. West Orange-Stark

9. Argyle

10. Bellville

Manso/V8
02-29-2012, 01:01 AM
After seeing tape of RSJ as a junior, I wouldn't be so quick to crown EC as district champ. What is tradition and history is a good gauge, but not necessarily gonna hold true every year. Sealy looks like a real threat to me.

Sealy is a threat in most years. RSJ is outstanding, but one player doesn't make a champion. The one-two punch of RSJ and Jawon Davis is a tough combo......but a good defensive team can stop them. I just don't know yet how strong the supporting cast around those two will be this year, that is really the key. Bellville has some big, strong, fast, experienced players returning and we tend to think we can beat Sealy. I am sure El Campo will be a force, and if they are as good as the posters south of I-10 seem to think they will be, this will be a pretty tough district.

Saggy Aggie
02-29-2012, 01:34 AM
I guess the staff at DCTF didn't get the memo that El Campo was in 3a this year, or maybe they did............of course there are the usual over-rated, or should I say over-ranked teams, and some teams that are there based on momentum from last year, but you would think that if El Campo was all that, that they would at least be ranked ahead of district foes Bellville and Sealy.

DCTF Magazine Winter Edition

1. Stephenville

2. Carthage

3. Gilmer

4. Celina

5. La Marque

6. Sealy

7. Navasota

8. West Orange-Stark

9. Argyle

10. Bellville This ranking also doesnt have Waco LaVega in it either, which is a joke. 11-0 last year and 1/2 a yard away from sending the Champs (Chapel Hill) home in the 2nd round.

They're def a top 3 team in 3A this year. Gilmer and Argyle being top 10 teams is a joke. WO-S Debatable. Navasota should be top 5.

Sealy and Bellville both top 15-20 teams, but not top 10. Sealy was pretty mediocre even with RSJ last year, losing in the first round.

I saw Coldspring, and i wasnt that impressed. Bellville losing to them, and then graduating some key players tells me that they wont be able to keep up with EC, a perrenial playoff team in 4A.

JMO

regaleagle
02-29-2012, 03:14 AM
I agree with you on just about everything you posted above, Saggie. Looks like the DCTF team needs some schooling on 3A football. This Winter Edition may change by the time the Summer Edition hits the stands, though. I tend to look at that one as the more in-depth analysis of who's got what coming back and what they are forecasted to do in their respective districts and classifications. Having La Vega and Navasota not even ranked it totally missing the mark. There's no way Argyle can be considered in anything but a rebuild mode for upcoming year. Gilmer may be a Top 25, but certainly not Top 10, esp. with the 4a drop downs we have.

regaleagle
02-29-2012, 03:21 AM
The only thing I keep hearing about EC is their winning tradition, and would like to hear more about the players and team coming back for the 2012 season. Does anyone have that kind of info to share with us?

Saggy Aggie
02-29-2012, 12:46 PM
The only thing I keep hearing about EC is their winning tradition, and would like to hear more about the players and team coming back for the 2012 season. Does anyone have that kind of info to share with us? They never have any standout or flashy players. They just have a bunch of solid FOOTBALL players. Big strong o and d lines, good runners, capable qb. Solid defense.

They make the playoffs almost every year in 4A and usually go at least 2 rounds. They got a really tough draw, playing an absolutely loaded Manvel team that is now 5A in the first round and they hung tough. EC is going to be a handful for anyone who gets them in 3A.

Victory10
02-29-2012, 02:43 PM
Anyone of these three teams could win the district. They r all well coached and each team has some players. Columbus and Royal will be better!! Dog fight every week . I could see a 3-way tie between them

HEMOTOXIC
02-29-2012, 04:37 PM
This ranking also doesnt have Waco LaVega in it either, which is a joke. 11-0 last year and 1/2 a yard away from sending the Champs (Chapel Hill) home in the 2nd round.

They're def a top 3 team in 3A this year. Gilmer and Argyle being top 10 teams is a joke. WO-S Debatable. Navasota should be top 5.

Sealy and Bellville both top 15-20 teams, but not top 10. Sealy was pretty mediocre even with RSJ last year, losing in the first round.

I saw Coldspring, and i wasnt that impressed. Bellville losing to them, and then graduating some key players tells me that they wont be able to keep up with EC, a perrenial playoff team in 4A.

JMO

I agree. There's no way that Sealy should be ranked ahead of Navasota. After I saw Sealy play Navasota in the scrimmage and against Bellville, I knew that they would not beat Navasota in the first round of the playoffs. And the fact that Navasota will have just about everyone returning should make for some great football in Rattler Nation.
RSJ is an awesome player and I am sure Sealy will be very competetive next season. IMO, El Campo will be tough. I can see them and Bellville playing for the district crown. Sealy will probably be the #3 seed in that district.

As far as the winter edition top 10, I rather share the my opinon once the fall gets here. But as stated before, La Vega will be tough.

Ville-D
02-29-2012, 05:20 PM
Do you think that not being ranked can be a useful tool to motivate a team? Especially when they start knocking off teams that are ranked.

OldBison75
02-29-2012, 05:39 PM
Not being ranked when you know you have a good team is a big motivator, as is being ranked below a team that you have beaten in a scrimmage or game earlier in the season. Never underestimate kids these days, they want to be recognized for what they do and take it as a big insult when they beat somebody and cannot even pass them in the rankings. This is especially true late in the season when bot have had good years and one beats the other.

As for the references to LaVega, people better watch out, that team has a way of making you regret not taking them serious. For all the problems that program has had with off field antics by players, they know how to play and they know how to win!!!

HEMOTOXIC
02-29-2012, 05:58 PM
Do you think that not being ranked can be a useful tool to motivate a team? Especially when they start knocking off teams that are ranked.

Most definitely!!!

Saggy Aggie
02-29-2012, 06:08 PM
Stephenville/La Vega will be a huge measuring stick. One of the stephenville guys predicted the jackets winning by like 30.

IF that happens, I'm telling you guys now no one in 3A will touch stephenville & they'll coast to the title.

That said, I know that won't happen.

Ville-D
02-29-2012, 06:12 PM
Maybe I was a little over ambitious with my prediction... I know it will be a good game. Those scores I threw out there were all a little lopsided. :eek:

Stephenville/La Vega will be a huge measuring stick. One of the stephenville guys predicted the jackets winning by like 30.

IF that happens, I'm telling you guys now no one in 3A will touch stephenville & they'll coast to the title.

That said, I know that won't happen.

Manso/V8
02-29-2012, 09:43 PM
This ranking also doesnt have Waco LaVega in it either, which is a joke. 11-0 last year and 1/2 a yard away from sending the Champs (Chapel Hill) home in the 2nd round.

JMO
LaVega should be there, regaleagle says Argyle doesn't belong, I don't know enough about Gilmer or WO-S, but they both seem to be teams that are always ranked more on tradition and things that happened in the past than current status.

Sealy was inconsistent last year, they seemed to play to the level of the competition, but when they were on, they were pretty good, definitely better than mediocre. You might not have been impressed by Coldspring overall, they were talented, very mistake-prone on offense, but I think you said their defense was lights out.....and remember, they did make it to the semis and gave a very strong Wimberley team a run for the money. Bellville had a chance to beat them and lost in a wild OT game.

What key players did Bellville lose? The kids that graduated all have viable replacements behind them and almost all the skill players are back. I'm not sure Bellville or Sealy should be ranked in the top ten, but my gut tells me that Bellville should be ranked above Sealy and El Campo......but you never know until the season starts. The district championship will likely be determined in the final week with Bellville at Sealy. You said that EC usually has a solid group, the same is true for Bellville and Sealy. I think you may have a bias toward El Campo because of the proximity to Columbia, but that is normal. I am the same way about area teams and the folks in the east and up around Dallas are definitely that way.

Manso/V8
02-29-2012, 09:50 PM
I agree. There's no way that Sealy should be ranked ahead of Navasota. After I saw Sealy play Navasota in the scrimmage and against Bellville, I knew that they would not beat Navasota in the first round of the playoffs. And the fact that Navasota will have just about everyone returning should make for some great football in Rattler Nation.
RSJ is an awesome player and I am sure Sealy will be very competetive next season. IMO, El Campo will be tough. I can see them and Bellville playing for the district crown. Sealy will probably be the #3 seed in that district.

As far as the winter edition top 10, I rather share the my opinon once the fall gets here. But as stated before, La Vega will be tough.

I definitely agree that Navasota should be ranked ahead of Sealy. Navasota never seems to get the respect it deserves. Just don't judge teams based on major rivalry games or pretty soon we will be talking about the Navasota-LaGrange game again.

zebrablue2
02-29-2012, 10:29 PM
LaVega should be there, regaleagle says Argyle doesn't belong, I don't know enough about Gilmer or WO-S, but they both seem to be teams that are always ranked more on tradition and things that happened in the past than current status.

Sealy was inconsistent last year, they seemed to play to the level of the competition, but when they were on, they were pretty good, definitely better than mediocre. You might not have been impressed by Coldspring overall, they were talented, very mistake-prone on offense, but I think you said their defense was lights out.....and remember, they did make it to the semis and gave a very strong Wimberley team a run for the money. Bellville had a chance to beat them and lost in a wild OT game.

What key players did Bellville lose? The kids that graduated all have viable replacements behind them and almost all the skill players are back. I'm not sure Bellville or Sealy should be ranked in the top ten, but my gut tells me that Bellville should be ranked above Sealy and El Campo......but you never know until the season starts. The district championship will likely be determined in the final week with Bellville at Sealy. You said that EC usually has a solid group, the same is true for Bellville and Sealy. I think you may have a bias toward El Campo because of the proximity to Columbia, but that is normal. I am the same way about area teams and the folks in the east and up around Dallas are definitely that way.

Big ? mark at QB. The Bulls had a surprise by last yrs QB running the offense the way he did. The kid had speed! I know one thing, the HC will get all he can out of the kids, no doubt...

Saggy Aggie
02-29-2012, 11:38 PM
I think bellville will have a really solid group again, I just think El Campo will be even better. Bias? Maybe? Not really?

I just think its far more likely that El Campo reloads and had a solid season than bellville being able to duplicate what they did. I'm by no means predicting a blowout, because I think EC, Sealy and bellville are the 3 best teams in region 4... Just happen to be in the same district. I also think EL Campo will prove they are the class of region 4 this year. I've been wrong before and certainly could be again.

God bless and good luck. I'd love it if bellville proved me wrong because I've had nothing but positive dealings with the brahmas. Kinda reminds me of Sinton. Great town, great team, great people.

HEMOTOXIC
03-01-2012, 12:05 AM
I definitely agree that Navasota should be ranked ahead of Sealy. Navasota never seems to get the respect it deserves. Just don't judge teams based on major rivalry games or pretty soon we will be talking about the Navasota-LaGrange game again.

We can talk about Navasota vs La Grange. Obviously, haven't seen the Rattlers play last season, you based your assessment of Navasota based on the score of the Navasota/La Grange game. Big mistake. As I told you, that was probably the worst that I had seen Navasota play in 6 seasons. I based my assessment of Sealy on what I had seen from the Navasota scrimmage and the Bellville game. Based on what I saw in 10 Navasota games, and from watching the Rattlers for years now, I knew that last years' team was a good one and I knew that Sealy would not be able to beat Navasota. Boy oh boy, I can't wait till the fall!

Manso/V8
03-01-2012, 12:17 AM
We can talk about Navasota vs La Grange. Obviously, haven't seen the Rattlers play last season, you based your assessment of Navasota based on the score of the Navasota/La Grange game. Big mistake. As I told you, that was probably the worst that I had seen Navasota play in 6 seasons. I based my assessment of Sealy on what I had seen from the Navasota scrimmage and the Bellville game. Based on what I saw in 10 Navasota games, and from watching the Rattlers for years now, I knew that last years' team was a good one and I knew that Sealy would not be able to beat Navasota. Boy oh boy, I can't wait till the fall!

I was just picking at you. Navasota smoked the Brahmas in 7on7, passing wasn't our game, and defending the pass was a weakness all year, we were just fortunate to face primarily running teams.......LaGrange hadn't gotten it together yet when they visited the Pasture of Pain, and we made Giddings look like a passing team in the 4th quarter of the first round game. Then again, our starting QB (he later got hurt in a scrimmage and was out for the season) wasn't at that 7on7 game, and that made a big difference in a pass only game.......but it wouldn't have been enough to beat the Rattlers in 7on7. Sealy played up to the competition in most games last year, but somehow they can't get that done against Navasota.

HEMOTOXIC
03-01-2012, 12:27 AM
I was just picking at you. Navasota smoked the Brahmas in 7on7, passing wasn't our game, and defending the pass was a weakness all year, we were just fortunate to face primarily running teams.......LaGrange hadn't gotten it together yet when they visited the Pasture of Pain, and we made Giddings look like a passing team in the 4th quarter of the first round game. Then again, our starting QB (he later got hurt in a scrimmage and was out for the season) wasn't at that 7on7 game, and that made a big difference in a pass only game.......but it wouldn't have been enough to beat the Rattlers in 7on7. Sealy played up to the competition in most games last year, but somehow they can't get that done against Navasota.

I will tell you this, people better keep an eye out for the Brahmas... I think that they can be very dangerous come next season.

Saggy Aggie
03-01-2012, 12:28 AM
Not to mention LaGrange was VERY improved as the season went on. They had plenty of talent just made a TON of mistakes early in the year

Manso/V8
03-01-2012, 12:29 AM
Big ? mark at QB. The Bulls had a surprise by last yrs QB running the offense the way he did. The kid had speed! I know one thing, the HC will get all he can out of the kids, no doubt...

I don't think there will be a question for very long about QB......but I am not the coach! Reese sure added another running threat and good chemistry to the backfield. Those young backs will be bigger, faster, and stronger this year. Fuchs will add strength to the passing game if they decide to air it out a little more. I think we would benefit from some more short and mid-range pass plays. For sure, the HC will get the most out of the kids.

HEMOTOXIC
03-01-2012, 12:29 AM
Not to mention LaGrange was VERY improved as the season went on. They had plenty of talent just made a TON of mistakes early in the year

From what I heard, the Leopards were vastly improved. After seeing them almost beat us, I didn't see how they had lost so many games.

Saggy Aggie
03-01-2012, 12:32 AM
From what I heard, the Leopards were vastly improved. After seeing them almost beat us, I didn't see how they had lost so many games. I think WC beat them 29-0 but they had like 6 turnovers against us. Talent wise, the 2 teams were definitely not 29 points apart.

If LG had played well, it would've been a very close game.

And I was not shocked at all that they almost snuck into the playoffs and hung with navasota. Good te just a lot of mental mistakes

HEMOTOXIC
03-01-2012, 12:35 AM
I think WC beat them 29-0 but they had like 6 turnovers against us. Talent wise, the 2 teams were definitely not 29 points apart.

If LG had played well, it would've been a very close game.

And I was not shocked at all that they almost snuck into the playoffs and hung with navasota. Good te just a lot of mental mistakes

I will agree with that...

Manso/V8
03-01-2012, 12:37 AM
From what I heard, the Leopards were vastly improved. After seeing them almost beat us, I didn't see how they had lost so many games.
They were definitely not playing even close to their potential in the game against Bellville.

Victory10
03-01-2012, 10:30 AM
I think Bellville's game plan on both sides of the ball was a little better than LG

scrub c
03-01-2012, 12:05 PM
thought this was about EC...

Manso/V8
03-01-2012, 07:50 PM
No one has any information about EC other than they used to be 4a, they lost in the first round to Manvel, and they usually have solid players. Posters also like to point out that they played Manvel close in that playoff game and Manvel has now gone 5a......which actually indicates that maybe the size of enrollment doesn't really matter that much, since EC dropped to 4a and Manvel rose to 5a, there must have been a pretty big disparity in enrollment.

bird_fan
03-02-2012, 03:15 AM
El Campo is a school with a winning tradidition. Then have produced winning football teams year in and year out. only three time in school history have they had 3 year of sub 500 football. The last time was 2000-2002 then 1939-1941 and then 1918-1920. 3 myears ago the crossed the 600 win with very few school in the state have done. The only draw back EC has from teams like Cueros Bay Citys etc is playoff sucess. many a time they had to play team winning state or making the finals in early playoff rounds. As far as talent goes there are usually no super stars on the ricebird teams as a rule they are fundimentally sound and well coached as there is only one coach to ever have a losing record at EC and he was just a one year coach. This is a teamk when ever the take the field the expect to win. They are a run orented team and dont pass that often and usually find a way to run the ball on mosat opponents.. I think they will be a serious contender in their district wich i think will be one of the strongest districts in the region.The only advantage they may have in 3A is depth wich was a weakness in 4A having to p[lay in a district where most teams were twice their size. Most EC tewams arent knowfor their size eithwer but find a way to power the football. The only other good thing for them is being in a different region from LaMarque who alway seem to have their number and no mater how talented they are LaMareque is all ways better.It would be nice to not meet then at first round in the playoffs but later rounds. Now i wish then were in district with swqeeny and West Columbis because of driving sdistance (I live in Van Vleck) would be muct easier since i dolive closer tothose town than i do EC. Right now im not sure what they have coming back but i know they wont be as talented asthey were in 2010 or 2011 but im sure they would compete.

regaleagle
03-02-2012, 05:34 AM
My mom and stepfather have lived in Bay City for at least the last 25 yrs. The last 8 yrs. or so he has been the bus driver for the Bay City athletic teams(football, basketball, baseball, etc.). They are now retired, but he is telling me the problems Bay City had with their program when the coaching changes took place, and how the kids didn't want to participate like before. I don't know all the ins & outs of what really happened down there, but just know he was close to the program when Bay City started having their problems. He was there when they were perennial winners also. Just couldn't get all the players to participate is all I heard.