PDA

View Full Version : Will Football Eventually be Extinct?

Txbroadcaster
02-22-2012, 02:22 PM
With more and more data coming out about head injuries will the sport end in the next 30 years? I think more and more that is possible

Old Tiger
02-22-2012, 02:24 PM
Old poor players need to quit suing to try and get money. As a football player you know what you are getting into health wise and you know there will be injuries with long term effects. The safety rules aren't going to prevent players from getting concussions. No helmet in the world can protect against concussions either.

Bullaholic
02-22-2012, 02:25 PM
With more and more data coming out about head injuries will the sport end in the next 30 years? I think more and more that is possible

I have said many times that I believe only touch football will be played in high school and below in 15-20 years.

Txbroadcaster
02-22-2012, 02:38 PM
Old poor players need to quit suing to try and get money. As a football player you know what you are getting into health wise and you know there will be injuries with long term effects..

I dont think anyone who played in the past knew of the head injury issues, all that is just now coming to light over the last 5-10 years..back when I played you were worried about the knees, not the head

GrTigers6
02-22-2012, 03:43 PM
They better get rid of Hockey first. LOL
Alot has to due with the technology they have for measuring concussions. They are starting to see what concussions can do to a player in the long run.

Old Green
02-22-2012, 03:44 PM
Just might happen. The foriegn sport of soccer will take over:stirpot:

GrTigers6
02-22-2012, 03:48 PM
Just might happen. The foriegn sport of soccer will take over:stirpot:You mean Futbol?:D

regaleagle
02-22-2012, 03:49 PM
I believe much will change in the next 30 yrs, including football. We are now witnessing the pinnacle of this sport at all levels. The downward trend will begin to show itself in the near future, in the NFL as well as college and high school sports. This is my opinion and feeling on the subject.

RoyceTTU
02-22-2012, 03:55 PM
there's always golf. :clap:

regaleagle
02-22-2012, 04:00 PM
Yeah Royce, if they quit making the equipment improvements that are comprimising the difficulty factor of the game. Seriously, though it is one of the oldest sports still being played, if not the oldest. Actually, the equipment improvements haven't put that big a dent in the game...it is so difficult to master.

Old Green
02-22-2012, 04:01 PM
You mean Futbol?:D:wave:

RoyceTTU
02-22-2012, 04:03 PM
Yeah Royce, if they quit making the equipment improvements that are comprimising the difficulty factor of the game. Seriously, though it is one of the oldest sports still being played, if not the oldest. Actually, the equipment improvements haven't put that big a dent in the game...it is so difficult to master.

They'll just keep pushing the tees further and further back.

waterboy
02-22-2012, 05:13 PM
As to the original question on this thread...............NEVER! There will ALWAYS be football! It will NEVER become extinct! It could however become "wussified" so much that people will lose interest......, but definitely not in the next 20 years or so.

toddg
02-22-2012, 05:37 PM
in other parts of the country...probably. in the south and in Texas...not!

buckeyebob
02-23-2012, 06:29 AM
I am glad I am old & do not have to face the thought of it happening.

Ernest T Bass
02-23-2012, 06:54 AM
Wonder why no one is asking if boxing will be extinct?

Lion70
02-23-2012, 08:33 AM
In the 60s and before if you said that football would be vastly more popular than baseball , you would have been laughed out of the room.

bobcat1
02-23-2012, 09:34 PM
Wonder why no one is asking if boxing will be extinct?Doubt it, they still box and have even went to MMA fights.

'Necks 2013-14
02-23-2012, 09:52 PM
in other parts of the country...probably. In the south and in texas...not!a big +1 !!!

'Necks 2013-14
02-23-2012, 09:54 PM
I am glad I am old & do not have to face the thought of it happening.Here-Here Bob! I resemble that remark!!

Ernest T Bass
02-23-2012, 10:33 PM
Doubt it, they still box and have even went to MMA fights.

That's my point. Football is a game where violence and contact happen to be a part of it. However, violence and contact are THE POINT of boxing and MMA. Injuries are much more prevalent in those two sports than in football.

toddg
02-23-2012, 10:35 PM
That's my point. Football is a game where violence and contact happen to be a part of it. However, violence and contact are THE POINT of boxing and MMA. Injuries are much more prevalent in those two sports than in football.

i agree 100%

LIONS#1
02-24-2012, 12:57 PM
Baring a world changing event Football is here to stay!! Just Sayin!!:1popcorn:

scrub c
02-24-2012, 01:09 PM
Well, the pro game looks more like a 7-on-7 league, so I would day it is evolving in the wrong direction.

'Necks 2013-14
02-24-2012, 01:50 PM
Well, the pro game looks more like a 7-on-7 league, so I would day it is evolving in the wrong direction.Well said Scrub-C. I personally would MUCH rather watch a HS or NCAA game any day!

striker
02-24-2012, 11:52 PM
Here is an interesting article that was shared with me regarding the end of football.
http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/7559458/cte-concussion-crisis-economic-look-end-football

Ville-D
02-25-2012, 01:16 AM
Scarey stuff

Here is an interesting article that was shared with me regarding the end of football.
http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/7559458/cte-concussion-crisis-economic-look-end-football

defense51
03-10-2012, 05:46 AM
Wonder why no one is asking if boxing will be extinct?
Because no one cares?

Rabid Cougar
03-10-2012, 09:37 AM
ER docs and Ortho docs say they see more injuries from soccer than any other sport.

Aesculus gilmus
03-12-2012, 06:55 AM
In the 60s and before if you said that football would be vastly more popular than baseball , you would have been laughed out of the room.

True. Baseball was never MORE POPULAR than football in Texas, but it used to be almost on a par with it. Looking back on my youth, I now can't believe I EVER thought there was anything entertaining about playing baseball, much less trying to watch it. Watching a baseball game is only slightly more exciting than watching a golf tournament. There's another activity I can't believe I ever wasted any time on, but I actually was on the golf team one year in high school (mainly because it allowed us so many excused absences from class back then).

Farmersfan
03-12-2012, 08:03 AM
I'm thinking the technology that is improving the equipment in football is partially responsible for the increased head injuries. The more protection provided to these guys the harder they will be able hit. It's the pads that allow these defensive players to take a full speed run at other players and ignore the self-protection instinct that we all have. I haven't looked at the numbers but I can promise you there aren't near as many head injuries or serious spine injuries in Rugby where they don't wear pads. I say lets start removing the padding and the hitting will start lessening..................... What do you think?
I watched interview about the MMA and they basically said the same thing. There will be far, far fewer injuries in MMA than in boxing because the padding is far, far less and a man isn't able to take a constant and non-stop beating before he finally overcome. One good punch ends it!

Txbroadcaster
03-12-2012, 08:37 AM
True. Baseball was never MORE POPULAR than football in Texas, but it used to be almost on a par with it. Looking back on my youth, I now can't believe I EVER thought there was anything entertaining about playing baseball, much less trying to watch it. Watching a baseball game is only slightly more exciting than watching a golf tournament. There's another activity I can't believe I ever wasted any time on, but I actually was on the golf team one year in high school (mainly because it allowed us so many excused absences from class back then).

yes even in Texas at one point baseball was more popular than football

Txbroadcaster
03-12-2012, 08:38 AM
I'm thinking the technology that is improving the equipment in football is partially responsible for the increased head injuries. The more protection provided to these guys the harder they will be able hit. It's the pads that allow these defensive players to take a full speed run at other players and ignore the self-protection instinct that we all have. I haven't looked at the numbers but I can promise you there aren't near as many head injuries or serious spine injuries in Rugby where they don't wear pads. I say lets start removing the padding and the hitting will start lessening..................... What do you think?
I watched interview about the MMA and they basically said the same thing. There will be far, far fewer injuries in MMA than in boxing because the padding is far, far less and a man isn't able to take a constant and non-stop beating before he finally overcome. One good punch ends it!

Alot of people are saying that without the helmets of today football would be safer..Aikman even said maybe they should take the helmets off

Farmersfan
03-12-2012, 10:42 AM
Alot of people are saying that without the helmets of today football would be safer..Aikman even said maybe they should take the helmets off

Helmet and shoulder pads! Head on collisions happen because players have a sense of protection. Of course we can never completely stop injuries in a contact sport.

grahampaw
03-12-2012, 11:09 AM
In 15-20 years the game will be played with robots controlled by the science team.Meaning the nerds will have all the girls , and the jocks will shove themselfs in lockers.

hollywood
03-12-2012, 11:14 AM
http://www.all-soccer-info.com/

It's one of the oldest and best sports in the world. Challenges ones fitness and coordination to the fullest. IMO, up there with American football. Don't get me wrong, I'm a huge fan of "American" football too. To ones amazement, soccer is more of a contact sport than many give credit to. If you've never played it, try to. I guarantee you'll have a different opinion about it. :)

I agree with those who say modern technology has had an impact with the increase in head and knee injuries. The more protected one feels, the more risks one will take. Decrease the padding and protection, decrease the risk taking and therefore the number of injuries. Now, the problem would be when you have someone like Brian Urlacher tackling Wes Welker. With pads, not as huge of an impact. Without pads, Urlacher isn't going to back down and Welker would be crushed. I think you'll see a lot skinny and little guys not playing football passed HS level if the padding is decreased. JMO

Farmersfan
03-12-2012, 11:25 AM
I agree with those who say modern technology has had an impact with the increase in head and knee injuries. The more protected one feels, the more risks one will take. Decrease the padding and protection, decrease the risk taking and therefore the number of injuries. Now, the problem would be when you have someone like Brian Urlacher tackling Wes Welker. With pads, not as huge of an impact. Without pads, Urlacher isn't going to back down and Welker would be crushed. I think you'll see a lot skinny and little guys not playing football passed HS level if the padding is decreased. JMO

But wouldn't the same size/wieght differential apply between Urlacher and other players on the field? Offensive linemen block linebackers all the time. Urlacher would be crushed by a 300lb lineman just like Welker would be crushed by Urlacher................

Buckeye1980
03-12-2012, 11:28 AM

Baseball and football's popularity are two different animals totally. I love and baseball and football , but in two different ways. I lve to watch football as a spectator, but baseball is more of an involvment love. That is why I umpired and coahed baseball, I wanted to be a part of the game , not just watch it (basically the same as golf), watching it does not have the excitement most of the time (yet at times, it does)

hollywood
03-12-2012, 04:12 PM
But wouldn't the same size/wieght differential apply between Urlacher and other players on the field? Offensive linemen block linebackers all the time. Urlacher would be crushed by a 300lb lineman just like Welker would be crushed by Urlacher................

I disagree. It's basic physics. Force= mass X acceleration
The rate of speed Urlacher travels increases the force of impact he can deliver vs the slower rate of speed an OL can travel and decreases the force of impact they can deliver. Even though an OL has more mass, the acceleration a LB has over an OL increases the force of impact. ;)

Now, to add, a Welker would get stone walled by an OL even though his acceleration would be greater. The mass versus acceleration ratio would be far enough apart to discount the force of impact.

Roughneck93
03-12-2012, 08:07 PM
I wonder if the Gladiator helmet will ever make it's debut? :thinking:

http://images.machinedesign.com/images/archive/71739headgearjp_00000049670.jpg

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shutdown_corner/post/The-newest-advances-in-noggin-protection?urn=nfl-67325

Farmersfan
03-13-2012, 07:54 AM
I disagree. It's basic physics. Force= mass X acceleration
The rate of speed Urlacher travels increases the force of impact he can deliver vs the slower rate of speed an OL can travel and decreases the force of impact they can deliver. Even though an OL has more mass, the acceleration a LB has over an OL increases the force of impact. ;)

Now, to add, a Welker would get stone walled by an OL even though his acceleration would be greater. The mass versus acceleration ratio would be far enough apart to discount the force of impact.

Even Urlacher would not seek direct full speed impact against Welker without pads. Welker certainly might be killed in the collision if he did but Urlacher probably wouldn't escape without his fair share of damage. Without pads I would say the speed of the game would be greatly reduced which in turn makes Welker a much more effective player. It's basic logic................... :wave:

LHPfactory
03-20-2012, 09:07 PM
Well when I was a kid we played war ball (dodge ball) with volley balls in gym, this was in elementary school by the way because I was in athletics during JR high and High school. Yes the nerdy fat kid with glasses would get nuked, but he got to sit out for the rest of PE and the young gladiators would do battle. Now a days the kids have to play with foam balls, really? They are even dulling down PE to the weak.