PDA

View Full Version : Race in football talk

Sville
02-22-2012, 12:09 PM
I can visualize the mods and admins cringing from the thread title and imagine them puckering as I post this. But why do we beat around the bush when we say a team is more "athletic" or has that "east Texas speed"? We say it in other ways as well, but we all really know the meaning of it. It is has become a PC way of saying the other team has more African Americans on it.

Why do you think we do it this way? Is it because it would be more offensive or racially charged to say, hey I think my team is better because we have more black players? But we all do it and that is exactly what we mean when we say these things. So why not just come out and say it like it is?

GrTigers6
02-22-2012, 12:16 PM
I can visualize the mods and admins cringing from the thread title and imagine them puckering as I post this. But why do we beat around the bush when we say a team is more "athletic" or has that "east Texas speed"? We say it in other ways as well, but we all really know the meaning of it. It is has become a PC way of saying the other team has more African Americans on it.

Why do you think we do it this way? Is it because it would be more offensive or racially charged to say, hey I think my team is better because we have more black players? But we all do it and that is exactly what we mean when we say these things. So why not just come out and say it like it is?Thats a stereotype and not a fact. If it was true than every track record would be held by african american athletes and no other race. Is it true sometimes, maybe but not as a whole.

BEAST
02-22-2012, 12:19 PM
Thats a stereotype and not a fact. If it was true than every track record would be held by african american athletes and no other race. Is it true sometimes, maybe but not as a whole.

You'll be hard pressed to find any track event under the mile run that isnt held by a black athlete. As well as the the long, triple, and high jump.

BEAST

Sville
02-22-2012, 12:30 PM
Thats a stereotype and not a fact. If it was true than every track record would be held by african american athletes and no other race. Is it true sometimes, maybe but not as a whole.

The 2010 US Population was approximately 313 million, 63.7% white and 12.2% black.

I say it is a fact when you look at the professional sports that require the most overall athletic ability to play, football and basketball. Sports is a very race-sterotypical field. If all races are equal in all abilities, it sure doesn't show up in sports. Blacks are 21 times their population in NBA basketball, and 14 times in NFL football, and 1.5 times in Major League baseball compared to whites. If you look at the statistics per capita blacks are better athletes.

waterboy
02-22-2012, 12:34 PM
When I read this thread why does Jimmy the Greek come to mind?:thinking:

To be honest, success in football doesn't have to be based on speed alone (although it helps). Game planning and execution both offensively and defensively plays a MUCH larger part in the difference between winning and losing, I don't care what the color of their skin is.

GrTigers6
02-22-2012, 12:39 PM
You'll be hard pressed to find any track event under the mile run that isnt held by a black athlete. As well as the the long, triple, and high jump.

BEASTWHat I am saying is just because you have african american athletes doesnt mean you have a fast team. And just because you dont doesnt mean you dont have a fast team.

Sville
02-22-2012, 12:49 PM
When I read this thread why does Jimmy the Greek come to mind?:thinking:

To be honest, success in football doesn't have to be based on speed alone (although it helps). Game planning and execution both offensively and defensively plays a MUCH larger part in the difference between winning and losing, I don't care what the color of their skin is.

I agree 100% on the coaching aspect especially at the high school level. But I cannot tell you how many times I have heard that Stephenville is going to have hard time matching up with that team athletically or their overall speed is going to give the Jackets problems. 99% of those comments come against teams that are predominantly black.

So my main question is why have we traded the terms 'athletic', 'team speed', 'east Texas speed', 'won't be able to match up skill wise',,,,,ect. for what people really mean the majority of the time?

waterboy
02-22-2012, 01:19 PM
What is the racial makeup of Stephenville?

Bullaholic
02-22-2012, 01:26 PM
I agree 100% on the coaching aspect especially at the high school level. But I cannot tell you how many times I have heard that Stephenville is going to have hard time matching up with that team athletically or their overall speed is going to give the Jackets problems. 99% of those comments come against teams that are predominantly black.

So my main question is why have we traded the terms 'athletic', 'team speed', 'east Texas speed', 'won't be able to match up skill wise',,,,,ect. for what people really mean the majority of the time?

Sville--to answer you question directly--IMO, Political Correctness, which I personally don't care for, is going to prevent many persons from being honest with their replies because almost any statement that involves race usually comes back to haunt the author with negative consequences, regardless of how harmless, or even positive, the intent.

Old Tiger
02-22-2012, 01:29 PM
They say Dallas breeds football players and Houston breeds the athletes.

Pick6
02-22-2012, 01:40 PM

Agreed

BEAST

Last year 1A Collinsville set the 1A state record in the 4X200 at the state track meet. Would of been state champs if they hadn't dropped the baton on another relay. All white kids.

Ville-D
02-22-2012, 01:41 PM
According to wikipedia:

Demographics As of the census (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Census)[1] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stephenville,_Texas#cite_note-GR2-0) of 2000, there were 14,921 people, 5,906 households, and 3,195 families residing in the city. The population density (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Population_density) was 1,488.3 people per square mile (574.4/kmē). There were 6,632 housing units at an average density of 661.5 per square mile (255.3/kmē). The racial makeup of the city was 90.84% White (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_%28U.S._Census%29), 1.47% African American (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/African_American_%28U.S._Census%29), .56% Samoan (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samoans), 0.58% Native American (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Native_American_%28U.S._Census%29), 0.65% Asian (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asian_%28U.S._Census%29), 0.05% Pacific Islander (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pacific_Islander_%28U.S._Census%29), 4.50% from other races (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Race_%28United_States_Census%29), and 1.92% from two or more races. Hispanic (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hispanic_%28U.S._Census%29) or Latino (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Latino_%28U.S._Census%29) of any race were 11.56% of the population.
There were 5,906 households out of which 26.0% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 42.9% were married couples (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marriage) living together, 8.1% had a female householder with no husband present, and 45.9% were non-families. 35.6% of all households were made up of individuals and 12.0% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.24 and the average family size was 2.97.
In the city the population was spread out with 20.3% under the age of 18, 25.4% from 18 to 24, 24.2% from 25 to 44, 15.5% from 45 to 64, and 14.6% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 28 years. For every 100 females there were 90.9 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 87.4 males.
The median income for a household in the city was $27,489, and the median income for a family was $40,115. Males had a median income of $27,143 versus $21,824 for females. The per capita income (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Per_capita_income) for the city was $15,108. About 8.0% of families and 17.1% of the population were below the poverty line (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poverty_line), including 10.7% of those under age 18 and 7.4% of those age 65 or over.

What is the racial makeup of Stephenville?

Old Tiger
02-22-2012, 01:42 PM
Stephenville is only 90% white due to the rednecks that go to Tarleton.

Ville-D
02-22-2012, 01:43 PM
And I can honestly say that I have no idea where they are keeping those Samoan and Pacific Islander folks... I'd like to hang out with them some time.

Ville-D
02-22-2012, 01:43 PM
Made me giggle...

MGAR
02-22-2012, 01:45 PM
One of the fastest kids I have ever seen went to Daingerfield back in the day... He was white

Old Tiger
02-22-2012, 01:51 PM
One of the fastest kids I have ever seen went to Daingerfield back in the day... He was whiteHe would of been faster had he had the extra muscle.

toddg
02-22-2012, 01:56 PM
One of the fastest kids I have ever seen went to Daingerfield back in the day... He was white

i saw a white kid run down the Eric Dickerson look- a -like RB from Kaufman in the 83' playoff game like he was standing still....was that him?

waterboy
02-22-2012, 01:57 PM
The city of Gilmer, according to the 2000 census, has the percentages at 75.91% white, and 20.23% black. That's a higher percentage than the county of Upshur, of which a large percentage of Gilmer's school district lives in, which shows the county percentages at 85.7% white, and 10.15% black. The school's demographics are about in the middle percentage wise, so that "East Texas speed" thing people bring up doesn't always apply to us. Nevertheless, we have been very successful in football for the last decade plus. It has more to do with coaching than it does with demographics in our case.

Old Tiger
02-22-2012, 02:00 PM
They just don't make em like this anymore

http://www.eastsidedavecountry.com/wp-content/uploads/Run-Forrest.jpg

alpha42
02-22-2012, 02:14 PM

I agree! Colin Lagasse was clearly the best athlete on the field in the LT-Waco Midway championship game.

BEAST
02-22-2012, 02:21 PM
I am probably fixing to open up a HUGE can of worms here and it is not my intent. I am not racist at all. I am a big history guy. I have always loved history, especially Texas history. Way back in the pre civil war days, slave owners would encourage the breeding of a really strong man and a really strong woman. It doesnt take many generations of that to wipe out "bad" genetics. That, in my opinion, is why, in general, blacks are faster than whites.

BEAST

MGAR
02-22-2012, 02:23 PM
i saw a white kid run down the Eric Dickerson look- a -like RB from Kaufman in the 83' playoff game like he was standing still....was that him?

No... This kid was early-mid 90s...

Ended up playing baseball..

Old Tiger
02-22-2012, 02:25 PM
I am probably fixing to open up a HUGE can of worms here and it is not my intent. I am not racist at all. I am a big history guy. I have always loved history, especially Texas history. Way back in the pre civil war days, slave owners would encourage the breeding of a really strong man and a really strong woman. It doesnt take many generations of that to wipe out "bad" genetics. That, in my opinion, is why, in general, blacks are faster than whites.

BEASTScientifically speaking african americans contain more fast twitch muscle fibers than caucasions.

coachc45
02-22-2012, 02:29 PM
Toddg
"i saw a white kid run down the Eric Dickerson look- a -like RB from Kaufman in the 83' playoff game like he was standing still....was that him?"

No you didn't.....lol. Was only two white kids on that 83 defense and neither were considered fast. Only 2 on 85 team that played kaufman also, and neither were fast.

The kid you are thinking about is Cory Richardson was mid '90s, played Baseball at NTCC, UT, and New Mexico. Played some minor league too. Won the 100, Sprint, and Mile relay at State meet his Sr. Year

Bullaholic
02-22-2012, 02:34 PM
That, in my opinion, is why, in general, blacks are faster than whites.

BEAST

The above statement is a case-in-point, beast. You are a white male, and by making such a statement, some would label you a "racist", which you and I know, is untrue. Jimmy the Greek was fired for making a similar statement on TV. Too many people are hung up on context rather than intent in matters of race discussion. That is why everyone in the public eye shys away from it.

waterboy
02-22-2012, 02:52 PM
The above statement is a case-in-point, beast. You are a white male, and by making such a statement, some would label you a "racist", which you and I know, is untrue. Jimmy the Greek was fired for making a similar statement on TV. Too many people are hung up on context rather than intent in matters of race discussion. That is why everyone in the public eye shys away from it.
I couldn't have said it better myself. It doesn't matter that Jimmy the Greek spoke the truth or not, it was the fact that what he said was "politically incorrect", and he got fired because it (God rest his soul). I'm not one that prescribes to being "politically correct", but being labeled a "racist" because I am not PC is what I have a problem with.

And I can honestly say that I have no idea where they are keeping those Samoan and Pacific Islander folks... I'd like to hang out with them some time.

My wife is Pacific Islander. I guess Its her and our son.
Guam "Where America's Day Begins"

toddg
02-22-2012, 03:12 PM
Toddg
"i saw a white kid run down the Eric Dickerson look- a -like RB from Kaufman in the 83' playoff game like he was standing still....was that him?"

No you didn't.....lol. Was only two white kids on that 83 defense and neither were considered fast. Only 2 on 85 team that played kaufman also, and neither were fast.

The kid you are thinking about is Cory Richardson was mid '90s, played Baseball at NTCC, UT, and New Mexico. Played some minor league too. Won the 100, Sprint, and Mile relay at State meet his Sr. Year

maybe he wasnt white..iv slept a few times since then lol!

Cam
02-22-2012, 03:23 PM

Holy crap!...Beast is a gringo??...And all this time I thought he was 1/4 Mexican, 1/4 African, 1/4 Asian, 1/8 German, 1/16 Sumo-wrestler, and 1/16 American-Indian...cause every white person claims to have some Indian blood in em'!!!.....:)

Ville-D
02-22-2012, 03:27 PM
According to the stats there should be 7.4 PI's in Stephenville, so your family is a big portion of that. Congratulations!

My wife is Pacific Islander. I guess Its her and our son.
Guam "Where America's Day Begins"

BEAST
02-22-2012, 03:36 PM
Holy crap!...Beast is a gringo??...And all this time I thought he was 1/4 Mexican, 1/4 African, 1/4 Asian, 1/8 German, 1/16 Sumo-wrestler, and 1/16 American-Indian...cause every white person claims to have some Indian blood in em'!!!.....:)

Damn it Cam. I havent told anybody all of that yet. Mind your own business would ya??

BEAST

Cam
02-22-2012, 04:02 PM
Man, could I have some fun with this thread and entertain myself for hours on end..!!...there are all sorts of limerick opportunities and stuff here....but, I'm just gonna go quietly into the night......and I really don't care about black, white, brown, yella, skinny, fat, slow, fast, ugly, pretty, east, west, etc., etc.......cause basically, the human race generally sucks....I wish I were a weasel!!...oh wait, my wife just told me I WAS A WEASEL!!.....carry on folks.....this thread could get interesting...Sville, startin' this thread shows you're one trouble-makin' son-of-a-bitch!..lol!!...I'm glad the Ville (or whatever the hell you call it) came down to 3A....

I'm not racist, I hate everybody equally......:)

Old Green
02-22-2012, 04:04 PM
As long as this topic remains civil, I will allow it to remain open.

BwdLion73
02-22-2012, 04:11 PM
:wave:

jason
02-22-2012, 04:12 PM

lol...

the racial breakdown of tarleton is probably pretty similar to that of stephenville...

even without all the 'tarleton rednecks', stephenville would be 85% white, 10% mexican, and 5% black/other...

RoyceTTU
02-22-2012, 04:16 PM
Coach Gains: I think the simplest thing to do

is get a zebra crew...
outta some neutral place

like San Antonio, or somethin'.

Dallas Carter Coach: Now are these zebras

gonna be white or black?

Coach Gains: Well, as far as I know,

zebras are white and black.

Dallas Carter Coach: How many black stripes

these zebras got?

Coach Gains: I believe a zebra's got about

the same amount of black ones

as he does white ones.

How many black stripes

you think a zebra's got?

Permian Admin: It makes sense to hire a crew

as-is. That's how we always do it.

Dallas Carter Admin - Don't make sense to me.

Permian Admin - It makes sense to me.

Dallas Carter Admin - Not me.

Permian Admin - Well, not a whole lot

does make sense to you.

Ville-D
02-22-2012, 04:17 PM
"Do you guys know how to post videos tuh... Facebook?"

Don't click this link...

http://goo.gl/bJCn7

Random post. Thought we needed a commercial break.

:1popcorn:

Now back to your regularly scheduled thread.

Saggy Aggie
02-22-2012, 04:19 PM
This thread is surprisingly still going

RoyceTTU
02-22-2012, 04:26 PM
This thread is surprisingly still going

and no one has been offended :eek:

waterboy
02-22-2012, 04:30 PM
Man, could I have some fun with this thread and entertain myself for hours on end..!!...there are all sorts of limerick opportunities and stuff here....but, I'm just gonna go quietly into the night......and I really don't care about black, white, brown, yella, skinny, fat, slow, fast, ugly, pretty, east, west, etc., etc.......cause basically, the human race generally sucks....I wish I were a weasel!!...oh wait, my wife just told me I WAS A WEASEL!!.....carry on folks.....this thread could get interesting...Sville, startin' this thread shows you're one trouble-makin' son-of-a-bitch!..lol!!...I'm glad the Ville (or whatever the hell you call it) came down to 3A....

I'm not racist, I hate everybody equally......:)
Uh, oh...........Cam feels another limerick coming on. Let's hear it!:1popcorn:

waterboy
02-22-2012, 04:32 PM
and no one has been offended :eek:
Dang! Everybody must've grown some thick skin in the last few weeks!:clap:

Ville-D
02-22-2012, 04:32 PM
I think I might have offended the Pacific Islanders, but I am working to resolve it.

Sville
02-22-2012, 04:48 PM
I figured we could maintain a little civility this time of year. I would not of dared broached this topic in the middle of football season. The O/U would of been about 1 1/2 pages. I understand that this is a rhetorical question. I just wondered if some of us could be honest about it. After this topic is long gone I will return to the PC ways of talking about this subject as well.

toddg
02-22-2012, 04:52 PM
I figured we could maintain a little civility this time of year. I would not of dared broached this topic in the middle of football season. The O/U would of been about 1 1/2 pages. I understand that this is a rhetorical question. I just wondered if some of us could be honest about it. After this topic is long gone I will return to the PC ways of talking about this subject as well.

i would have taken the under on that one.

Cam
02-22-2012, 04:53 PM
Uh, oh...........Cam feels another limerick coming on. Let's hear it!:1popcorn:

Well OK, but just one.....and mind you...I "whipped this one out" in two minutes flat!

We've been arguing since way back yonder,
Who's bigger, better, faster, or stronger.
But the facts are facts and plain to see,
The experts will tell ya and we'll all agree,
That the black man's peepee is generally longer!...

I'm leavin' the country now........:eek:

BEAST
02-22-2012, 04:56 PM
Well OK, but just one.....and mind you...I "whipped this one out" in two minutes flat!

:clap::clap::clap:

Post of the year. LOL

BEAST

waterboy
02-22-2012, 05:02 PM

:spitlol: Bwahahahaha........now THAT'S funny! Come on, Cam...... I know you have another one before you leave the country! Let's hear it!:1popcorn:

RoyceTTU
02-22-2012, 05:14 PM

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-XJavX8muyvw/TzuuDY7X_OI/AAAAAAAAD1I/g3clyqPLToQ/s1600/clinton1.jpg

buckeyebob
02-23-2012, 06:36 AM
The city of Gilmer, according to the 2000 census, has the percentages at 75.91% white, and 20.23% black. That's a higher percentage than the county of Upshur, of which a large percentage of Gilmer's school district lives in, which shows the county percentages at 85.7% white, and 10.15% black. The school's demographics are about in the middle percentage wise, so that "East Texas speed" thing people bring up doesn't always apply to us. Nevertheless, we have been very successful in football for the last decade plus. It has more to do with coaching than it does with demographics in our case.

We got screwed...we never win at track..."East Texas Speed" is morethan just the ability ro run fast...much more...intensity, no huddle, quickness, stealth, and above all, playing dirty and running up the score. I would say our mix is pretty a-typical for the area...http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-C96M01Fdz6Y/TuEjDaFV7_I/AAAAAAAABH0/7C2kJ0-xYVo/s1600/BUX2011.JPG

Eagle 1
02-23-2012, 09:54 AM
they just don't make em like this anymore

http://www.eastsidedavecountry.com/wp-content/uploads/Run-Forrest.jpg

lol>>>>>

Cam
02-23-2012, 11:15 AM
:spitlol: Bwahahahaha........now THAT'S funny! Come on, Cam...... I know you have another one before you leave the country! Let's hear it!:1popcorn:

no mas my friend...no mas.....I may have some admins on the hunt for me......but, they'll never catch me!....I'll be in New Zealand shortly huntin' the endangered, protected, and very aggressive Kiwi bird!......We'll see if that flightless bird don't take off flyin' when I start to pepper spray em' with my 20 gauge!!........:wave:

icu812
02-23-2012, 12:07 PM
We got screwed...we never win at track..."East Texas Speed" is morethan just the ability ro run fast...much more...intensity, no huddle, quickness, stealth, and above all, playing dirty and running up the score. I would say our mix is pretty a-typical for the area...http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-C96M01Fdz6Y/TuEjDaFV7_I/AAAAAAAABH0/7C2kJ0-xYVo/s1600/BUX2011.JPG

I believe Gilmer's "mix" is just about right if your building a football team. Just need a few Samoan's, lol. IMO, its much better to have a mix than just one or the other.

Saggy Aggie
02-23-2012, 12:57 PM
Majority of white kids = lineman

Majority of black kids = skill players

And gilmers football team is close to 60/40 whites and blacks, but I doubt the town population reflects that.

Fact is, there's going to be more black "athletes" per capita than whites for whatever genetic reasons

waterboy
02-23-2012, 01:32 PM
Looks more like 70/30 to me, and that's slightly higher than usual.

Old Tiger
02-23-2012, 02:26 PM
I always find it hilarious when people go out of their way to say "I'm not racist but" before they say something borderline racist.

Saggy Aggie
02-23-2012, 02:41 PM
Looks more like 70/30 to me, and that's slightly higher than usual. I just counted, and unless my math is wrong, which it might be, (because some of the kids you cant really tell which race they are - btw i neglected counting any players that were not white/black) then i get about 65/35 whites to blacks. If i remember correctly, Gilmers AA population is about 20% where as 35% of their football team is AA.

I'm also willing to bet this number is not as skewed as most towns.

Not really sure that it means anything other than black people are as a rule usually pretty athletic. So i dont think it ever hurts to have a good size AA population but a mix is defintiely ideal i think, and im sure thats reflected in wins/losses.

Aesculus gilmus
02-23-2012, 04:00 PM
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-GQWAzEPcv1U/T0anxqLEgDI/AAAAAAAABMM/HtZ9G14oiO8/s1600/varsity2009.jpg

'This is the 2009 team which won state, just for comparison. I agree with those who have said, though, that it is more about coaching when it comes to the Gilmer teams of the last 12 years. The talent's always been here.

Phantom Stang
02-23-2012, 04:23 PM
If i remember correctly, Gilmers AA population is about 20%
20 percent of the folks in Gilmer belong to Alcoholics Anonymous??:eek:

:D

Tejastrue
02-23-2012, 05:40 PM

It's taken some getting use to on here, at least for me. We hear it all the time. IMO, it just serves as another motivational tool to use and adds to the enjoyment when walking off the field after shaking hands with the losing team. As Bull said, it is about being PC. The "East Texas Speed", is actually fun to take jabs at and read about but they've backed it up more times than not.

Might as well mention the forgotten stepchild in all this are the hispanic players that never seem to get any of the credit when talking about successful programs. Key players that were an integral part to our SC run in 2011. Yes, you can probably count on one hand and a couple of toes the total of black and hispanic players that suited up for us. Just don't know how we were able to bring home that trophy. LOL...

waterboy
02-23-2012, 05:49 PM
It's taken some getting use to on here, at least for me. We hear it all the time. IMO, it just serves as another motivational tool to use and adds to the enjoyment when walking off the field after shaking hands with the losing team. As Bull said, it is about being PC. The "East Texas Speed", is actually fun to take jabs at and read about but they've backed it up more times than not.

Might as well mention the forgotten stepchild in all this are the hispanic players that never seem to get any of the credit when talking about successful programs. Key players that were an integral part to our SC run in 2011. Yes, you can probably count on one hand and a couple of toes the total of black and hispanic players that suited up for us. Just don't know how we were able to bring home that trophy. LOL...
Y'all got lucky!:D

Just kidding........... Could it be that they came together as a team, had good leadership, good athletes, were intelligent, may fewer mistakes, were well-coached, more determined, had "enough" speed to not have that liability, etc.?:thinking:

Naaahhhh........it was just LUCK!:D

Of course I'm kidding.......they were just GOOD!:thumbsup:

Cam
02-23-2012, 06:33 PM
damn Kiwi's are faster than I thought.......

cowboyandchrist
02-23-2012, 06:41 PM
WHat I am saying is just because you have african american athletes doesnt mean you have a fast team. And just because you dont doesnt mean you dont have a fast team.
I dissagree with you. Go to Austin and watch the state meet in all classifications, you will see all speed races from the 100 to the relays. The fastest young man will be black. God Blesses everyone with a gift and that is one of thier gifts. Look at all the running backs that hold records in Texas High School football. We are blessed to have great black athletes in East Texas. Without them we do not win state championships.

ccmom
02-23-2012, 07:05 PM
I dissagree with you. Go to Austin and watch the state meet in all classifications, you will see all speed races from the 100 to the relays. The fastest young man will be black. God Blesses everyone with a gift and that is one of thier gifts. Look at all the running backs that hold records in Texas High School football. We are blessed to have great black athletes in East Texas. Without them we do not win state championships. So how is it possible that teams without black athletes have won championships?

Saggy Aggie
02-23-2012, 07:08 PM
So how is it possible that teams without black athletes have won championships? happens every once in a while, just not often.

Most times it's more of those games like the 2009 state championship. I'm sure you remember

ronwx5x
02-23-2012, 08:38 PM
happens every once in a while, just not often.

Best check South Lake Carroll before painting with such a wide brush.

Tejastrue
02-23-2012, 09:07 PM
damn Kiwi's are faster than I thought.......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n_XpniQ8GwU&feature=player_embedded

Indeed they are....

Eagle 1
02-23-2012, 09:52 PM
So how is it possible that teams without black athletes have won championships?

Goldthwaites won 4, Windthorst 2, and Mason won one in December.

Manso/V8
02-23-2012, 10:02 PM
I am amazed at the number amatuer geneticists on the 3a downlow.
Let's get in to a discussion about how in every Olympics their is a REALLY white, I mean PALE white dude from the British Isles competing in the hundred........he's got perfect form out of the blocks and really getting it, trying to stay up there with his Caribbean opponents..........something about those REALLY PALE guys that are FAST, don't forget about Sadler the Gingerman.......oh, wait, Caribbeans aren't all African, they are usually mixed........so the really fast guys are heterozygous........they got that hybrid vigor that we all strive for in cross breeding cattle.

The fact that yall are talking about this is insane.

Leadership, attitude, community support, some good athletes, and excellent execution makes for a winning high school team in Texas.

Leopard4Life
02-23-2012, 10:21 PM
Best check South Lake Carroll before painting with such a wide brush.

Dropping from 4A you figured he might have heard of Lake Travis...

bigwood33
02-24-2012, 07:39 AM
I always find it hilarious when people go out of their way to say "I'm not racist but" before they say something borderline racist.
Saying something "racial" is not the same as being "racist". That term gets thrown around WAAAAY too much. Just because someone makes an observation about something "racial" does not make the comment or the person "racist". That just wears me out.

LH Panther Mom
02-24-2012, 07:55 AM
Dropping from 4A you figured he might have heard of Lake Travis...
That literally made me LOL! :D

GrTigers6
02-24-2012, 09:37 AM
I dissagree with you. Go to Austin and watch the state meet in all classifications, you will see all speed races from the 100 to the relays. The fastest young man will be black. God Blesses everyone with a gift and that is one of thier gifts. Look at all the running backs that hold records in Texas High School football. We are blessed to have great black athletes in East Texas. Without them we do not win state championships.SO your saying that if a man is African American then he is obviously fast? Thats obsurd!

Tin Cup
02-24-2012, 09:47 AM
I think it's safe to say that the very strong, tradition rich "white" schools that succeed in sports are kids who come from money as a whole and live in a really good community. See SLC, Katy, AWylie, Wimberley, Lake Travis, etc. maybe this affords them better access to better training and better facilities. I'm white and I have no problem saying that black athletes are clearly better on the whole, while all races can and do have their own stars.

hollywood
02-24-2012, 09:51 AM
The 2010 US Population was approximately 313 million, 63.7% white and 12.2% black.

I say it is a fact when you look at the professional sports that require the most overall athletic ability to play, football and basketball. Sports is a very race-sterotypical field. If all races are equal in all abilities, it sure doesn't show up in sports. Blacks are 21 times their population in NBA basketball, and 14 times in NFL football, and 1.5 times in Major League baseball compared to whites. If you look at the statistics per capita blacks are better athletes.

Soccer takes just as much athletic ability as either football or basketball! Most black athletes in US are drawn to basketball, football and track & field. Soccer will catch up.

Old Tiger
02-24-2012, 10:07 AM
Off the top of my head predominantly white teams to win state titles since 2000.

Liberty Hill - 3
Celina - 3
Southlake Carroll - 5
Lake Travis - 5

That is a total of 16 state titles for predominantly white schools in a 12 year span.

Feel free to add others from 3a, 2a, and 1a.

Ville-D
02-24-2012, 10:13 AM
10 SC's per year = 120 SC's in 12 years

16 / 120 = 13.3%

Off the top of my head predominantly white teams to win state titles since 2000.

Liberty Hill - 3
Celina - 3
Southlake Carroll - 5
Lake Travis - 5

That is a total of 16 state titles for predominantly white schools in a 12 year span.

Sville
02-24-2012, 10:14 AM
Soccer takes just as much athletic ability as either football or basketball! Most black athletes in US are drawn to basketball, football and track & field. Soccer will catch up.

It would be interesting to see how good the US would be in the international soccer scene if our best athletes grew up playing that sport rather than the big 3 in the US.

Old Tiger
02-24-2012, 10:15 AM
10 SC's per year = 120 SC's in 12 years

16 / 120 = 13.3%That is only counting teams I could think of off the top of my head. No telling what the numbers are when you add 1a, 2a, and 3a numbers.

You can add Wimberely(2) to that list....Abilene Wylie

19 now....perhaps someone with more knowledge than me can dig up the other 3a-1a predominantly white state title teams.

Txbroadcaster
02-24-2012, 10:16 AM

Soccer will not catch up unless colleges start offering full rides, or the MLS starts to be a real player money wise

Old Tiger
02-24-2012, 10:21 AM
The original 16 with Celina, LH, LT, and SLC.

Wimberely(2)
Bandera
La Grange
Abilene Wylie
Rosebud-Lott
Highland Park
Farmersville?
Idalou
Refugio?

26 right there.

Saggy Aggie
02-24-2012, 10:22 AM
I said majority... not 100% of the time.

The rich white schools with top notch facilities are the exception to the rule, but as a rule.... more often than not... a mostly white school is going to get spanked by another good team that has some AA players. Same goes for mostly hispanic schools, nothing against them... they just USUALLY cant compete at the highest level. There will always be a few exceptions here and there... but majority of the time....

Saggy Aggie
02-24-2012, 10:26 AM

Wimberely(2)
Bandera
La Grange
Abilene Wylie
Rosebud-Lott
Highland Park
Farmersville?

24 right there. So Youre telling me these schools dont have black players? You think Wimberley wouldve won it all without Dennis Smith? Celina without D'anton Lynn?

I could go on and on.

and hardly any 1A schools have black kids anyways so its kinda hard to go off that classification.

hollywood
02-24-2012, 10:26 AM
It would be interesting to see how good the US would be in the international soccer scene if our best athletes grew up playing that sport rather than the big 3 in the US.

Yes it would.

Old Tiger
02-24-2012, 10:27 AM
So Youre telling me these schools dont have black players? You think Wimberley wouldve won it all without Dennis Smith? Celina without D'anton Lynn?

I could go on and on.

and hardly any 1A schools have black kids anyways so its kinda hard to go off that classification.I said predominantly white.

Txbroadcaster
02-24-2012, 10:29 AM
I said majority... not 100% of the time.

The rich white schools with top notch facilities are the exception to the rule, but as a rule.... more often than not... a mostly white school is going to get spanked by another good team that has some AA players. Same goes for mostly hispanic schools, nothing against them... they just USUALLY cant compete at the highest level. There will always be a few exceptions here and there... but majority of the time....

Then why is teams like Dallas Madison or Roosvelt not winning football titles left and right?

Old Tiger
02-24-2012, 10:30 AM
Then why is teams like Dallas Madison or Roosvelt not winning football titles left and right?Hell the school with the most talent as of late is Skyline...they have yet to win a title.

Eagle 1
02-24-2012, 10:31 AM
That is only counting teams I could think of off the top of my head. No telling what the numbers are when you add 1a, 2a, and 3a numbers.

You can add Wimberely(2) to that list....Abilene Wylie

19 now....perhaps someone with more knowledge than me can dig up the other 3a-1a predominantly white state title teams.

Besides the three I already mentioned, you can add Canadian and Stratford to that list.

Old Tiger
02-24-2012, 10:32 AM
Besides the three I already mentioned, you can add Canadian and Stratford to that list.So that puts the list at 35 now.

hollywood
02-24-2012, 10:37 AM
Calvert vs Richland Springs in 6-man... who leads that series?
La Marque vs Stephenville... who leads that series?

;)

Eagle 1
02-24-2012, 10:38 AM
So Youre telling me these schools dont have black players? You think Wimberley wouldve won it all without Dennis Smith? Celina without D'anton Lynn?

I could go on and on.

and hardly any 1A schools have black kids anyways so its kinda hard to go off that classification.

Wrong. You ever heard of Mart, Alto, Cayuga, Munday, Groveton and nearly every 1A team in East Texas? The teams I mentioned are about 50/50 white and black but many of the East Texas are predominatly black.
I think the Celina teams of the 90's were all white that I remember.

Eagle 1
02-24-2012, 10:40 AM
So that puts the list at 35 now.

What about Austin Westlake? Are they on the list?

Saggy Aggie
02-24-2012, 10:41 AM
Wrong. You ever heard of Mart, Alto, Cayuga, Munday, Groveton and nearly every 1A team in East Texas? The teams I mentioned are about 50/50 white and black but many of the East Texas are predominatly black.
I think the Celina teams of the 90's were all white that I remember. lol and all those teams you just listed have won state titles, so point proven in 1A too i guess. Even the black kids make a difference there too

Saggy Aggie
02-24-2012, 10:43 AM
Then why is teams like Dallas Madison or Roosvelt not winning football titles left and right? because theyre not disciplined enough. They obviously have enough talent to win.

I'm not saying black players = state championships, im just saying its hard to be a threat to win a title every year without them.

Saggy Aggie
02-24-2012, 10:44 AM

Wimberely(2)
Bandera
La Grange
Abilene Wylie
Rosebud-Lott
Highland Park
Farmersville?
Idalou
Refugio?

26 right there. lol refugio has a bunch of black kids

http://www.advosports.com/news/2010/oct/04/hsfootball_1005_113531/

Eagle 1
02-24-2012, 10:45 AM
lol and all those teams you just listed have won state titles, so point proven in 1A too i guess. Even the black kids make a difference there too

No, you said: "and hardly any 1A schools have black kids anyways so its kinda hard to go off that classification. "
I was just proving that many 1A schools have black kids.

Old Tiger
02-24-2012, 10:45 AM
What about Austin Westlake? Are they on the list?Going with teams since 2000

Saggy Aggie
02-24-2012, 10:47 AM
No, you said: "and hardly any 1A schools have black kids anyways so its kinda hard to go off that classification. "
I was just proving that many 1A schools have black kids. right, okay... not really familiar with the racial makeup of 1A schools mainly because i dont follow them, but it seems that AA are making a difference in 1A as well.

Eagle 1
02-24-2012, 10:50 AM
I'm not saying black players = state championships, im just saying its hard to be a threat to win a title every year without them.

It's hard to be a threat to win a state title every year in any classification, but the fact remains that a lot of the teams that are considered "dynasty" teams are predominately white.
Notice I said a lot and not all.

Saggy Aggie
02-24-2012, 10:51 AM
How many titles have Daingerfield, Gilmer, Carthage, Aledo, etc won?

Not too mention Tatum, Henderson, TCH, and others?

Saggy Aggie
02-24-2012, 10:52 AM
It's hard to be a threat to win a state title every year in any classification, but the fact remains that a lot of the teams that are considered "dynasty" teams are predominately white.
Notice I said a lot and not all. the thing about 'predominantly' is..... usually the best player on the team is the one of the few black players lol

Eagle 1
02-24-2012, 10:53 AM
but it seems that AA are making a difference in 1A as well.

What do you mean?

Eagle 1
02-24-2012, 10:54 AM
Going with teams since 2000

Aledo on the list?

Eagle 1
02-24-2012, 10:54 AM
the thing about 'predominantly' is..... usually the best player on the team is the one of the few black players lol

Not really.

bigwood33
02-24-2012, 11:02 AM

Liberty Hill - 3
Celina - 3
Southlake Carroll - 5
Lake Travis - 5

Melissa
Stratford
Canadian
Farmersville
Aledo
Hondo
Wimberley
Prosper

Off the top of my head. I also can't remember when Stephenville last won a championship.

Farmersfan
02-24-2012, 11:05 AM

Wimberely(2)
Bandera
La Grange
Abilene Wylie
Rosebud-Lott
Highland Park
Farmersville?
Idalou
Refugio?

26 right there.

Farmersville won the 07' 2A championship with 3 African Americans on the team. But it needs to be put in proper perspective. Those 3 players were HUGE parts of that team. The star RB, Star FB and Star TE were black. I have that State Title game on DVD and even after watching it at least 20 times I'm still amazed Farmersville beat Tatum considering the fact that a "non-black" player was very rarely ever on the field.

BwdLion73
02-24-2012, 11:05 AM
:) Seriously, have yall read the last few pages of this thread? :crazy:

Eagle 1
02-24-2012, 11:09 AM
:) Seriously, have yall read the last few pages of this thread? :crazy:

What's wrong with it?

Saggy Aggie
02-24-2012, 11:25 AM
Melissa
Stratford
Canadian
Farmersville
Aledo
Hondo
Wimberley
Prosper

Off the top of my head. I also can't remember when Stephenville last won a championship. lol prospers best player was black. Point proven. And ever heard of a guy named Jonathan gray? You guys are stupid if you're trying to include aledo in your white schools that won because everybody knows they wouldn't have done anything close to what they did without JG

Saggy Aggie
02-24-2012, 11:27 AM
Farmersville won the 07' 2A championship with 3 African Americans on the team. But it needs to be put in proper perspective. Those 3 players were HUGE parts of that team. The star RB, Star FB and Star TE were black. I have that State Title game on DVD and even after watching it at least 20 times I'm still amazed Farmersville beat Tatum considering the fact that a "non-black" player was very rarely ever on the field. ^ point proven....

Even the predominantly white schools get to the SCrekying heavily on the black players they do have.

Just look at cuero/wimberley. Most white schools. 2 best players? Jackson and smith.

Farmersfan
02-24-2012, 11:29 AM
I think it's a pretty stupid argument! The fact that the upper levels (college and pro) are dominated by black players pretty much proves the point. Of course a predominately white high school team "CAN" have success but even those few exceptions have black players in key positions.

Saggy Aggie
02-24-2012, 11:31 AM
I think it's a pretty stupid argument! The fact that the upper levels (college and pro) are dominated by black players pretty much proves the point. Of course a predominately white high school team "CAN" have success but even those few exceptions have black players in key positions. and those schools are usually very rich. Can provide their students with the best facilities and coaches which may help them overcome being less talented.

hollywood
02-24-2012, 11:49 AM
and those schools are usually very rich. Can provide their students with the best facilities and coaches which may help them overcome being less talented.

Stephenville in the 90's was all white. Not a rich school and facilities are sub par compared to a lot of todays 2A's and
3A's.

Eagle 1
02-24-2012, 11:53 AM
Of course a predominately white high school team "CAN" have success but even those few exceptions have black players in key positions.

Not true. Goldthwaite, Windthorst, and Mason didn't have any black kids on their state championship teams.
How many black kids were on Celina's 1995 state championship team?

Eagle 1
02-24-2012, 11:55 AM
and those schools are usually very rich. Can provide their students with the best facilities and coaches which may help them overcome being less talented.

Haha......Goldy is one of the poorest schools to ever win a state championship.
Our best facilities include steel belted tires tied to a rope that our boys pull up a hill. LOL>
I don't think Mason is considered a rich town either. lol.

BwdLion73
02-24-2012, 11:56 AM
What's wrong with it?

I didn't say anything was wrong with it.

I do think its funny reading posters attempts to find a common denominator to winning state. How many teams have won state that had no white players! :1popcorn:

Eagle 1
02-24-2012, 11:59 AM
I didn't say anything was wrong with it.

I do think its funny reading posters attempts to find a common denominator to winning state. How many teams have won state that had no white players! :1popcorn:

You said the post were :crazy:
To me that's the same as saying something was wrong with the post.
If you read my post #99, I said "Notice I said a lot and not all."

Cam
02-24-2012, 12:02 PM
lol prospers best player was black. Point proven. And ever heard of a guy named Jonathan gray? You guys are stupid if you're trying to include aledo in your white schools that won because everybody knows they wouldn't have done anything close to what they did without JG

LOL!!....Sag, now you're calling people "stupid"?......If my memory serves me correct, you're the same cat who called Hispanic players a bunch of "slow Mexicans"!........that, to me, qualifies you as "just plain stupid"....or better yet, dum, stupide, salak, ostoba, baka, glupi, lawda, bobo, or my favorite, pendejo!.....
Leave the stupid stuff to me....I think I'm better at it.....

BwdLion73
02-24-2012, 12:03 PM
You said the post were :crazy:
To me that's the same as saying something was wrong with the post.
If you read my post #99, I said "Notice I said a lot and not all."

Sorry its not the same to me, for instance I could say your wrong most of the time but your crazy all the time.:wave:

carry on....Im not complaining.

Eagle 1
02-24-2012, 12:07 PM
Sorry its not the same to me, for instance I could say your wrong most of the time but your crazy all the time.:wave:

carry on....Im not complaining.

Well I can't argue with that. :ack!:

BEAST
02-24-2012, 12:19 PM
I think the Celina teams of the 90's were all white that I remember.

Munday is not East Texas. It is between Abilene and Wichita Falls.

BEAST

SintonFan
02-24-2012, 12:21 PM
According to the stats there should be 7.4 PI's in Stephenville, so your family is a big portion of that. Congratulations!

I bet G2 knows the .4 Pacific Islander.:thumbsup:

Bullaholic
02-24-2012, 12:26 PM

BEAST

No it ain't---it's between Sunday and Tuesday...:D

Cam
02-24-2012, 12:31 PM
No it ain't---it's between Sunday and Tuesday...:D

dammit Bull...ya beat me to it.....

MGAR
02-24-2012, 12:47 PM

He didn't say Munday was in East Texas...

He said "nearly every 1A team in East Texas?"

Eagle 1
02-24-2012, 01:00 PM
He didn't say Munday was in East Texas...

He said "nearly every 1A team in East Texas?"

Yes are correct.
I was just including Munday since they won a state title a few years ago, and have a really good chance of winning another next year.

No it ain't---it's between Sunday and Tuesday...

True.

bigwood33
02-24-2012, 01:00 PM
lol prospers best player was black. Point proven. And ever heard of a guy named Jonathan gray? You guys are stupid if you're trying to include aledo in your white schools that won because everybody knows they wouldn't have done anything close to what they did without JG
You calling me stupid? Seriously?
1st, Prosper's best player was the QB...he carried that team and willed them to win and he is a white kid. I should know, my 2 son's played against him/them.
2nd, Aledo probably only has between 4 and 6 black kids on their team year in and year out and although JG is the best player, the ones making tackles on defense and opening those holes up front are not black. Also, their dual threat QB who totaled about 4500 yards this past season is a white kid.
All I'm trying to say is that race has very little to do with winning HS football games. Discipline and character matter MUCH more. If you happen to be black or white, or brown and have those 2 attributes, you have a chance to win every week. If you also happen to have athletes = or > your opponent, you will almost always win. If you have decisively better athletes and those 2 characteristics, you can win state championships. Regardless of color.
I think I know who the stupid one is.

Eagle 1
02-24-2012, 01:04 PM
You calling me stupid? Seriously?
1st, Prosper's best player was the QB...he carried that team and willed them to win and he is a white kid. I should know, my 2 son's played against him/them.
2nd, Aledo probably only has between 4 and 6 black kids on their team year in and year out and although JG is the best player, the ones making tackles on defense and opening those holes up front are not black. Also, their dual threat QB who totaled about 4500 yards this past season is a white kid.
All I'm trying to say is that race has very little to do with winning HS football games. Discipline and character matter MUCH more. If you happen to be black or white, or brown and have those 2 attributes, you have a chance to win every week. If you also happen to have athletes = or > your opponent, you will almost always win. If you have decisively better athletes and those 2 characteristics, you can win state championships. Regardless of color.
I think I know who the stupid one is.

:iagree::iagree::iagree:
Discipline the key word here. Our coach talks about discipline to his football team every year on the first day of 2-a days.

Saggy Aggie
02-24-2012, 01:18 PM
You can have all the disciple (or talent) you want, but you won't beat athletically superior teams without the other.

I was talking about prosper this year.... But fact is, even in their SC year... They had AA playing key positions too.

And you're not telling me anything new about white kids making tackles and opening holes. If you go back a few pages you'll see that I'm referring to skill positions when Im talking about black students.

For the most part, black kids play rb, WR, db and sometimes QB. White people = lines, linebackers and QB.

LH Panther Mom
02-24-2012, 01:22 PM

Liberty Hill - 3

2 for us...add Wimberley 2

Eagle 1
02-24-2012, 01:25 PM
You can have all the disciple (or talent) you want, but you won't beat athletically superior teams without the other.

What is your point?

bigwood33
02-24-2012, 01:26 PM

I was talking about prosper this year.... But fact is, even in their SC year... They had AA playing key positions too.

And you're not telling me anything new about white kids making tackles and opening holes. If you go back a few pages you'll see that I'm referring to skill positions when Im talking about black students.

For the most part, black kids play rb, WR, db and sometimes QB. White people = lines, linebackers and QB.
Oh, I think I fully understand your position...and you wouldn't like my understanding. Everyone who disagrees with you is "stupid". I understand very well.
Let's just consider this years champions then:
Mason- low to no
Teneha- several
Melissa- 1
Refugio-1 or 2
CH- several to majority
Wimberley- 1 or 2
Aledo- very few
LT- 1 or 2
SLC- 2 or 3
Dekaney- several to majority

You know what this tells me...absolutely nothing. The teams with outstanding athletes (regardless of race) that were also highly disciplined, won championships.

Saggy Aggie
02-24-2012, 02:02 PM
Oh, I think I fully understand your position...and you wouldn't like my understanding. Everyone who disagrees with you is "stupid". I understand very well.
Let's just consider this years champions then:
Mason- low to no
Teneha- several
Melissa- 1
Refugio-1 or 2
CH- several to majority
Wimberley- 1 or 2
Aledo- very few
LT- 1 or 2
SLC- 2 or 3
Dekaney- several to majority

You know what this tells me...absolutely nothing. The teams with outstanding athletes (regardless of race) that were also highly disciplined, won championships. Refugio had WAY more than 1-2. I posted a picture a few pages back and the first 4 players from Refugio you see are all black. They had plenty of AA.

Wimberley didn't have many but they did have that 1 guy named Dennis smith who was kinda important. Maybe you've heard of him?

Oh and like I said, do you honestly think aledo would've won w/o JG?

Ironic that in a team full of white kids, the black guy is their best player.

bigwood33
02-24-2012, 02:12 PM
Refugio had a black WR who mad a couple of plays but was, at best, their 3rd option.
Dennis Smith got behind the Argyle defenders 1 time and was a solid contributor but not the difference in the game.
JG, fantastic player but that whole team was great.

Arguing with a "12" year old with the life experience of a gnat who thinks he knows everything is certainly draining. Maybe I am stupid.

BEAST
02-24-2012, 02:12 PM
Here is a question for everyone, why couldnt Lufkin ever beat SLC and why couldnt LaMarque ever beat The Ville?

BEAST

Saggy Aggie
02-24-2012, 02:19 PM
Here is a question for everyone, why couldnt Lufkin ever beat SLC and why couldnt LaMarque ever beat The Ville?

BEAST maybe because they weren't as good? Takes more than good athletes to win a game, otherwise every inner city school would win state.

Saggy Aggie
02-24-2012, 02:24 PM
Refugio had a black WR who mad a couple of plays but was, at best, their 3rd option.
Dennis Smith got behind the Argyle defenders 1 time and was a solid contributor but not the difference in the game.
JG, fantastic player but that whole team was great.

Arguing with a "12" year old with the life experience of a gnat who thinks he knows everything is certainly draining. Maybe I am stupid. so you're telling me that Refugio had 1 player who was black that was their 3rd option. None of the other AA made any difference?

And yeah Dennis smith was a D1 caliber player until screwing up his life. The ONLY d1 caliber player on wimberleys team.

And JG rewrote record books. He was the constant through all those SC's and clearly the best player. Once again an AA.

I'm sure that's just a coincidence though. Couldn't have anything to do with black guys just being naturally more talented.

Just look at professional football/basketball. It's not like they're completely dominated by black athletes or anything.

Phantom Stang
02-24-2012, 03:03 PM
True statement: Black folks win more short distance races than White folks, and White folks win more long distance races than Black folks. So what?

At the end of the day, success in HS football depends on COMMUNITY SUPPORT of the kids. Other variables, such as coaching, discipline, and player turnout follow in suit.

hollywood
02-24-2012, 03:16 PM
White folks win more long distance races than Black folks. So what?

Not if you are talking about the marathon, 26.2 miles. The Kenyans and Ethiopians dominate that distance. World Record was set last April in Boston. The Kenyan Geoffrey Mutai won the Boston Marathon in 2 hours, 3 minutes, 2 seconds - the fastest time ever for the 26.2-mile distance. Is it long distance? Guess it's relative. Compared to the Leadville 100 Ultra marathon, no. But to 99% of the world, 26.2 is long distance.

I was talking to my brother about this and we agreed. Just for example give us South Oak Cliff kids and put them in Stephenville enviroment with proper diet, work ethic, coaching, Support system, stay out of trouble, the list goes on and on. The team would be crazy good.
Stephenville dont have better athletic kids. What we do have is the hardest working most dedicated group of kids possible. We have A community that embraces them and the program and supports them 100%.
We may not be the fastest at every position but i promise you our kids are working harder TODAY. We may be 7 or 8 months away from football. It may be track season. But everyday the kids DO THE WORK. Not because they have to because they want to. You cant make a kid lift weights everyday. UIL wont allow mandatory workouts off season. Coaches that can encourage kids to bust there tails for 4 years non stop is what makes the difference. Dont believe me take a look at the kids. Football season is 4 years long in Stephenville.

BEAST
02-24-2012, 03:19 PM
Not if you are talking about the marathon, 26.2 miles. The Kenyans and Ethiopians dominate that distance. World Record was set last April in Boston. The Kenyan Geoffrey Mutai won the Boston Marathon in 2 hours, 3 minutes, 2 seconds - the fastest time ever for the 26.2-mile distance. Is it long distance? Guess it's relative. Compared to the Leadville 100 Ultra marathon, no. But to 99% of the world, 26.2 is long distance.

I think he was talking about Forrest Gump style long distance.

BEAST

BEAST
02-24-2012, 03:20 PM
maybe because they weren't as good? Takes more than good athletes to win a game, otherwise every inner city school would win state.

Lufkin was unreal back then. Reggie McNeal was the Qb. And LaMarque was absolutely loaded.

BEAST

alpha42
02-24-2012, 03:46 PM
Would'nt this apply to any kid black or white?

alpha42
02-24-2012, 03:50 PM
[QUOTE=Ville;1663321]I was talking to my brother about this and we agreed. Just for example give us South Oak Cliff kids and put them in Stephenville enviroment with proper diet, work ethic, coaching, Support system, stay out of trouble, the list goes on and on. The team would be crazy good.
Stephenville dont have better athletic kids. What we do have is the hardest working most dedicated group of kids possible. We have A community that embraces them and the program and supports them 100%.
We may not be the fastest at every position but i promise you our kids are working harder TODAY. We may be 7 or 8 months away from football. It may be track season. But everyday the kids DO THE WORK. Not because they have to because they want to. You cant make a kid lift weights everyday. UIL wont allow mandatory workouts off season. Coaches that can encourage kids to bust there tails for 4 years non stop is what makes the difference. Dont believe me take a look at the kids. Football season is 4 years long in Stephenville.[/QUOTE
Would'nt this apply to any kid, black, white, hispanic or asian who has some kind of football skill. Let's not go there with the "we do more with less" battle cry.

Bullaholic
02-24-2012, 04:07 PM
I was talking to my brother about this and we agreed. Just for example give us South Oak Cliff kids and put them in Stephenville enviroment with proper diet, work ethic, coaching, Support system, stay out of trouble, the list goes on and on. The team would be crazy good.
We may not be the fastest at every position but i promise you our kids are working harder TODAY. We may be 7 or 8 months away from football. It may be track season. But everyday the kids DO THE WORK. Not because they have to because they want to. You cant make a kid lift weights everyday. UIL wont allow mandatory workouts off season. Coaches that can encourage kids to bust there tails for 4 years non stop is what makes the difference. Dont believe me take a look at the kids. Football season is 4 years long in Stephenville.

I read this about Stephenville in the paper several years ago during one of Stevenville's deep 4A runs, and the coaches attributed their success to a lot of off-season conditioning and weight training by the players. Several of the players commented in the article about how the strength training really pays off for them.

Ville-D
02-24-2012, 04:31 PM
OK, now that was funny.

I think he was talking about Forrest Gump style long distance.

BEAST

Ville-D
02-24-2012, 04:35 PM
I think I'll borrow that.

Let's not go there with the "we do more with less" battle cry.

Farmersfan
02-24-2012, 04:36 PM
Would'nt this apply to any kid black or white?

Not equally! I think the point is that overall Black kids are more athletic than white kids. Case in point: If you were to take 500 black kids and 500 white kids and start them in the Celina school district at an early age I can guarantee you that by the time they reach high school Celina's football team would be 75% black or more. Simple logical examination of current and historical facts would lead a prudent person to understand this. The Colleges and the Pros are predominantly black and they have ALL high school kids from every possible social and economic situation to choose from. Who do they most often choose and which race most often succeeds at the higher levels?

BwdLion73
02-24-2012, 04:39 PM
.......But do you have more heart......?

Saggy Aggie
02-24-2012, 04:55 PM
Not equally! I think the point is that overall Black kids are more athletic than white kids. Case in point: If you were to take 500 black kids and 500 white kids and start them in the Celina school district at an early age I can guarantee you that by the time they reach high school Celina's football team would be 75% black or more. Simple logical examination of current and historical facts would lead a prudent person to understand this. The Colleges and the Pros are predominantly black and they have ALL high school kids from every possible social and economic situation to choose from. Who do they most often choose and which race most often succeeds at the higher levels? I think FF is the only one who gets it, which is weird cuz normally he doesnt understand anything. :D

Cam
02-24-2012, 04:59 PM
I'm surprised I haven't heard this one yet:

Blacks are better athletes simply due to evolution. In Africa, since they were little, these folks have been running for their lives from lions, jaguars, panthers, elephants, cheetahs, hyenas, army ants, rhinos, and even on occasions a pissed off giraffe!
And the Whites, their evolutionary process has been slowed (literally) due to the lack of predators chasin' their asses. I mean let's face it, it ain't too difficult gettin' away from a ticked off possum, racoon, rat, beaver, and the ever dangerous armadillo!.......
Same pretty much goes for Latins....only recently have they begun to make an impact in football...their runnin' skills are slowly developing mainly due to stronger border patrol control in recent years...them suckers are just now learnin' to run like hell when they see those green and white vans!!!.......... :)

Ville-D
02-24-2012, 05:12 PM
A little old (2009)

top 25 recruits:

http://goo.gl/u4xnw

(http://rivals.yahoo.com/video/recruiting-football/amp-rivals100-countdown-25-1-44000)

Tejastrue
02-24-2012, 05:13 PM
^ point proven....

Even the predominantly white schools get to the SCrekying heavily on the black players they do have.

Just look at cuero/wimberley. Most white schools. 2 best players? Jackson and smith.

In 2010 Smith did not play after week 5 and came back in the Semis against Coldspring and was a non factor. We had at least 7 other starters out or hampered by injuries or we might have been looking at a repeat SC game in 2011. His poor decisions that year could have easily divided the team. It was a RB named Wilson that carried the team. 2011, in spite of missing several games to a pect muscle injury, Blakemore was the best player and MVP on this team. Smith played great in the SC but one needs to look at the games played to get there. Yes, IMO, we would have won the SC game without him. If the problems and the injuries had not happened to Smith, most likely I would be agreeing with what you say about the best player.

bigwood33
02-24-2012, 06:26 PM
In 2010 these were the statistics for the racial breakdown of male NCAA Division 1 Athletes (this does not include FCS Football, Division 2, or Division 3):

Basketball-
30.5% White
60.9% Black
8.6% Other

Football-
45.1% White
45.8% Black
9.1% Other

Baseball-
83.4% White
5.6% Black
11% Other

All NCAA Sports Combined-
62.5% White
24.9% Black

Saggy Aggie
02-24-2012, 06:42 PM
In 2010 these were the statistics for the racial breakdown of male NCAA Division 1 Athletes (this does not include FCS Football, Division 2, or Division 3):

Basketball-
30.5% White
60.9% Black
8.6% Other

Football-
45.1% White
45.8% Black
9.1% Other

Baseball-
83.4% White
5.6% Black
11% Other

All NCAA Sports Combined-
62.5% White
24.9% Black

It's almost like you don't understand what skill positions means.

I agree, tons of big white dudes playing on the lines. The ATHLETICISM is in the skill positions... Where I'm willing to bet is >80% black.

And sure there's some white guys playing basketball, but take a&m for example. About 10 guys get signicant playing time. 1 of them is white. The other 3-4 white guys ride the bench.

A more interesting stat would be the racial makeup of starters.

And baseball is not a black mans sport so it's no surprise they're outnumbered.

Eagle 1
02-24-2012, 08:41 PM
It's almost like you don't understand what skill positions means.

I agree, tons of big white dudes playing on the lines. The ATHLETICISM is in the skill positions... Where I'm willing to bet is >80% black.

And sure there's some white guys playing basketball, but take a&m for example. About 10 guys get signicant playing time. 1 of them is white. The other 3-4 white guys ride the bench.

A more interesting stat would be the racial makeup of starters.

And baseball is not a black mans sport so it's no surprise they're outnumbered.

You say "skilled position players", like they are the best players on the team.
So in that case, why is the qb position the exception?

Your words, not mine:

Sville
02-25-2012, 12:11 AM
This thread is starting to circle the drain.

Manso/V8
02-25-2012, 03:55 PM
Samoans and other Pacific Islandlers actually have the best genetics for football. Somebody should run some stats on the total population of Samoans vs the number in the NFL or DI football compared to whites, blacks, and yellows.

Bull Butter
02-25-2012, 04:55 PM

Liberty Hill - 3
Celina - 3
Southlake Carroll - 5
Lake Travis - 5

Falls City 2010

hsbtex
02-25-2012, 05:37 PM

BEAST

And to add to that...why couldn't Longview ever beat Lake Travis :)

Sville
02-25-2012, 10:51 PM
Samoans and other Pacific Islandlers actually have the best genetics for football. Somebody should run some stats on the total population of Samoans vs the number in the NFL or DI football compared to whites, blacks, and yellows.

This is the best answer I could find for you.

NFL Total: 31% W-EUD, 67% B-AFD, 1% H/LD, 1% ASD
99% National, 1% International

NFL By Position: (H/LD and ASD less than 1% per position)
QB – 79% W-EUD, 21% B-AFD
HB – 10% W-EUD, 90% B-AFD
WR – 10% W-EUD, 90% B-AFD
TE – 56% W-EUD, 44% B-AFD
OT – 45% W-EUD, 55% B-AFD
OG – 56% W-EUD, 44% B-AFD
C – 76% W-EUD, 24% B-AFD
CB – 3% W-EUD, 97% B-AFD
S – 15% W-EUD, 85% B-AFD
LB – 23% W-EUD, 77% B-AFD
DE – 23% W-EUD, 77% B-AFD
DT – 19% W-EUD, 81% B-AFD

W-EUD = White-European Descent
B-AFT = Black-African Descent
H/LD = Hispanic/Latin Descent
ASD = Asian/Pacific Island Descent

DIV-1 Football: 49% W-EUD, 47% B-AFD, 2% H/LD, 2% ASD

Manso/V8
02-26-2012, 03:01 AM
This is the best answer I could find for you.

NFL Total: 31% W-EUD, 67% B-AFD, 1% H/LD, 1% ASD

NFL By Position: (H/LD and ASD less than 1% per position)

I googled samoan nfl and came up with various numbers ranging from 20-28 Samoans in the NFL and 10
QB – 79% W-EUD, 21% B-AFD
HB – 10% W-EUD, 90% B-AFD
WR – 10% W-EUD, 90% B-AFD
TE – 56% W-EUD, 44% B-AFD
OT – 45% W-EUD, 55% B-AFD
OG – 56% W-EUD, 44% B-AFD
C – 76% W-EUD, 24% B-AFD
CB – 3% W-EUD, 97% B-AFD
S – 15% W-EUD, 85% B-AFD
LB – 23% W-EUD, 77% B-AFD
DE – 23% W-EUD, 77% B-AFD
DT – 19% W-EUD, 81% B-AFD

W-EUD = White-European Descent
B-AFT = Black-African Descent
H/LD = Hispanic/Latin Descent
ASD = Asian/Pacific Island Descent

DIV-1 Football: 49% W-EUD, 47% B-AFD, 2% H/LD, 2% ASD

I did a quick search and found some tidbits.
In 2010, the National Football League included a total of 1,696 players. Of those players, 28 of them were from American Samoa.
In the 2010 draft, four Samoans were selected in the first four rounds including Nebraska's Toniu Fonoti (second round, San Diego) and UNLV's Anton Palepoi (second round, Seattle). There are about 200 Samoans playing Division 1 football.

With about 65,000 people living in American Samoa, it has been said that a Samoan boy is 40 times more likely to play in the NFL than a boy born in the United States.