PDA

View Full Version : Who will be the trend setter?

Dogman_1969
02-21-2012, 10:28 PM
Over the last 10 or so years we have seen high school offenses go from the I -Set, split backs, split wing, wing T, Shotgun zone read and so on. Who will be the 3A school that brings back the split back veer offense? The old style that Wacker ran where the line splits created gaps in the defense and the oline could use angles that the splits created. If you have a savy QB, 3-4 running backs that are quicker than long fast and lineman that are not exactly dominant road graders why not go back to the veer?

I would venture to say most def cord's would struggle with someone who dropped the full package on them (veer option, veer traps, wide veer option and the option pass series). I could see this have the success that the slot T had in the last 5 yrs or so.

Ernest T Bass
02-21-2012, 10:45 PM
You're taking the wrong path. Offenses haven't simply changed from one form to another, they've evolved. Coaches are constantly discovering new wrinkles through modification, which others copy and then modify for themselves. Zone read? That's just a modified veer option. Bubble screen? Nothing but a sweep. Pistol? Just an I formation. Go watch Wimberly and you'll see wing-T blocking schemes being run from the shotgun. None of these offenses were simply created and installed, they started as something else and evolved into something different.