Old Tiger
02-18-2012, 01:17 PM
http://i.imgur.com/gTaky.jpg

jason
02-18-2012, 01:17 PM
haha

OldNavy
02-18-2012, 02:54 PM
Nooooo! But if they had said Chink in the Under Armor......then, raist!

Roughneck93
02-18-2012, 03:04 PM
http://m.espn.go.com/wireless/story?storyId=7588915

OldNavy
02-18-2012, 07:36 PM
Was that really a racist remark, or simply a cliche that has been used for 100s of years? I wonder if we will have any vocabulary left after Political Correctness. Am I too old to realize what a heinous remark that headline was?

Old Tiger
02-18-2012, 08:01 PM
Was that really a racist remark, or simply a cliche that has been used for 100s of years? I wonder if we will have any vocabulary left after Political Correctness. Am I too old to realize what a heinous remark that headline was?It would be more racist if they said Lin gooks up.

navscanmaster
02-18-2012, 10:05 PM
That there is funny.

Tejastrue
02-19-2012, 10:18 AM
http://www.forbes.com/sites/kurtbadenhausen/2012/02/19/watch-snl-poke-fun-at-jeremy-lin-racism-controversy/?feed=rss_home

yellaseeker
02-19-2012, 11:58 AM
As usual, it will be blown out of proportion due to the media and everyone else exploiting it beyond imagination. Therefore, someone will be forced to address it. Society has been trained/brainwashed into making a mountain out of a mole hill and the media will seize every opportunity to use these things for a story. Sad but true!

BwdLion73
02-19-2012, 01:57 PM
As usual, it will be blown out of proportion due to the media and everyone else exploiting it beyond imagination. Therefore, someone will be forced to address it. Society has been trained/brainwashed into making a mountain out of a mole hill and the media will seize every opportunity to use these things for a story. Sad but true!

...well Ive always heard the media is Slanted....

LIONS#1
02-19-2012, 03:08 PM
...well Ive always heard the media is Slanted....

Ahhh yes the media now creates news instead of simply reporting news.. They try and pump sunshine up our butts while we are treated like mushrooms and fed crap while steadily keeping us in the dark!! Barrynomics-101:1popcorn:

Diocletian
02-19-2012, 05:23 PM
Damn,

Has to be the worst in history..

Old Tiger
02-19-2012, 08:04 PM
Ahhh yes the media now creates news instead of simply reporting news.. They try and pump sunshine up our butts while we are treated like mushrooms and fed crap while steadily keeping us in the dark!! Barrynomics-101:1popcorn:You obviously don't watch Fox News or ESPN much, lol.

Z-RO
02-19-2012, 11:31 PM
I don't think it is racist at all, and to think a couple of people lost their jobs because of this is ridiculous.

Txbroadcaster
02-20-2012, 12:26 AM
I guess I have to ask..how was it not offensive? that word has been a word that offends for a long long time.

Tejastrue
02-20-2012, 12:42 AM
OMG, I think the point is that we are so quick to pull the racist card for every little slip of the tongue. Dang, have you been watching ESPN this evening? The Joe Maddon's (Hazleton) story followed by the J. Lin sensitivity interview??? ESPN is really trying to kiss up...it's hilarious!!

Z-RO
02-20-2012, 12:45 AM
I guess I have to ask..how was it not offensive? that word has been a word that offends for a long long time.

How long has that been a saying? A chink in the armor has nothing to do with him being Chinese! His chink in the armor is his turnovers. Could the choice of words been chosen differently?...sure. However, to assume it was said in a racial context is giving those people too much credit.

Txbroadcaster
02-20-2012, 12:47 AM
How long has that been a saying? A chink in the armor has nothing to do with him being Chinese! His chink in the armor is his turnovers. Could the choice of words been chosen differently?...sure. However, to assume it was said in a racial context is giving those people too much credit.

that word has been used on Asians sinc 1879..dont pretend someone was not trying to make a stupid joke

regaleagle
02-20-2012, 12:59 AM
When working in the media. and esp. for a major player like ESPN, the writers and broadcasters are very aware of word selection, and the impact words can have. That should be enough in itself to determine whether this was a "slip", or an intentional play on words to garner attention. It did garner attention, apparently.

Tejastrue
02-20-2012, 01:04 AM
When working in the media. and esp. for a major player like ESPN, the writers and broadcasters are very aware of word selection, and the impact words can have. That should be enough in itself to determine whether this was a "slip", or an intentional play on words to garner attention. It did garner attention, apparently.

Yes, and in this day and time, isn't that what it is all about?? How many hits to my website, blog, etc...???

Z-RO
02-20-2012, 01:54 AM
that word has been used on Asians sinc 1879..dont pretend someone was not trying to make a stupid joke

Do you know for FACT that they were? Or are you just assuming so? I am just assuming it is a accident seeing as how the saying fits considering his turnovers.

Z-RO
02-20-2012, 05:27 AM

Oh and BTW

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Chink%20in%20the%20Armor

"Chink in the Armor

1) An narrow opening and vunerable area in one's armor that the opponent will usually aim for. This term relies on "chink" in the sense of "a crack or gap," a meaning dating from about 1400 and used figuratively since the mid-1600s."

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/chink+in+one%27s+armor

"Idioms & Phrases

chink in one's armor

A vulnerable area, as in Putting things off to the last minute is the chink in Pat's armor and is bound to get her in trouble one day . This term relies on chink in the sense of "a crack or gap," a meaning dating from about 1400 and used figuratively since the mid-1600s."

This phrase has been used a lot longer :taunt:

Farmersfan
02-20-2012, 08:58 AM
I don't know why everyone is even discussing this. There is absolutely no doubt that this particular "term" was used intentionally to produce a certain response. It is known as a Double Entendre!

"A double entendre (French pronunciation: [dublɑ̃tɑ̃dʁə]) is a figure of speech in which a spoken phrase is devised to be understood in either of two ways. Often the first (more obvious) meaning is straightforward, while the second meaning is less so: often risqué or ironic."

Z-RO
02-20-2012, 04:45 PM
Absolutely huh? :crazy:

Old Tiger
02-20-2012, 04:46 PM
Absolutely huh? :crazy:jew!

yellaseeker
02-20-2012, 05:14 PM
Well, if he or someone else got offended at that, well bless their poor little tender heart. I dare anyone to call me a chink, spick, cracker, moon cricket, bohonk, dego or anything that would remind me of getting picked on in first grade. LOL!

alpha42
02-20-2012, 05:34 PM
A 30 day suspension for the announcer, and the firing of the producer was way over the top for ESPN. The announcer also revealed that his spouse was Asian. Tough break for those guys, really don't think there was harm intended. Simple cliche that writers on ESPN have probably written many times a year.

BwdLion73
02-20-2012, 09:00 PM
Well, if he or someone else got offended at that, well bless their poor little tender heart. I dare anyone to call me a chink, spick, cracker, moon cricket, bohonk, dego or anything that would remind me of getting picked on in first grade. LOL!

whats a moon cricket?

Ville-D
02-21-2012, 11:24 AM
http://goo.gl/u413c

BwdLion73
02-21-2012, 11:35 AM
whats a moon cricket?

nm...

Ville-D
02-21-2012, 11:58 AM
fail

sorry, i tried to embed the video...