PDA

View Full Version : Cuero is Open

Matthew328
02-17-2012, 03:48 PM
After being non-renewed at last night's school board meeting Coach Owens asked to be re-assigned..the job is now posted on the CISD website

44INAROW
02-17-2012, 03:50 PM
I have obvious tunnel vision about this subject - but I assume it should draw some good applicants..

regaleagle
02-17-2012, 04:45 PM
Is this surprising news in the town of Cuero? Or was there some talk going on as the season played out, or shortly thereafter?

Ville-D
02-17-2012, 04:47 PM
Remember when Ronnie Hughes was at Cuero?

Maroon87
02-17-2012, 05:10 PM
I remember reading some posts near the end of last season speculating that Owens would not be retained.

Old Green
02-17-2012, 05:15 PM
Remember when Ronnie Hughes was at Cuero?Yep the two years he was there Cuero did pretty good.

Do you know where he is now?

Old Green
02-17-2012, 05:18 PM
I remember reading some posts near the end of last season speculating that Owens would not be retained.Yeah, I heard a lot of grumbling last year. I was hoping they would keep him. It wasn't his fault how the Gobblers season went last year.

Ville-D
02-17-2012, 05:19 PM
He is retired... He was my HS coach. Went to Cuero when he left Eastland.

Yep the two years he was there Cuero did pretty good.

Do you know where he is now?

BEAST
02-17-2012, 05:31 PM

Ville D, what years did you play in the Ville?

BEAST

Old Green
02-17-2012, 05:32 PM
He is retired... He was my HS coach. Went to Cuero when he left Eastland.I remember he came from Eastland . Did he move back there and retire?

Ville-D
02-17-2012, 05:43 PM
Yes, he moved back to Eastland and coached a couple more years.

I remember he came from Eastland . Did he move back there and retire?

Ville-D
02-17-2012, 05:44 PM
I played in Eastland back in the late 80's then went to Tarleton. I moved away fro Stephenville for several years, but moved back about 6 years ago.

Ville D, what years did you play in the Ville?

BEAST

44INAROW
02-17-2012, 05:49 PM
He moved to Iowa to watch Matt play for the Hawkeyes then I assume he retired.. He and Karen are very nice folks.. One of these days, I'll have to write about the going-away party my oldest son and his friends had for Matt, held at our house on Dec 31st, the week before they moved from Cuero..... OMG - it was EPIC

Ville-D
02-17-2012, 06:05 PM
I grew up living on the same block as the Hughes, Matt and Doug were good friends of mine. I was a grade ahead of Doug, It was sad to lose Doug at such a young age. Matt and I still talk every now and then. He is still in Iowa.

He moved to Iowa to watch Matt play for the Hawkeyes then I assume he retired.. He and Karen are very nice folks.. One of these days, I'll have to write about the going-away party my oldest son and his friends had for Matt, held at our house on Dec 31st, the week before they moved from Cuero..... OMG - it was EPIC

SintonFan
02-17-2012, 06:23 PM

I heard EVERY party at your house is epic. I'm gonna get invited to one of those one day... one day I'm sure. :D

Blue42
02-17-2012, 07:21 PM
I think most people who know Cuero sports know how this should play out
(yes tunnel vision). I just hope all parties involved in making the right choice can work it all out. I had heard rumors before this news that some kids that would be leaders for next year’s football team not even wanting to play I hope that this may change their minds and we can get back to filling the sidelines with players and the stands with fans.
GO MEAN GREEN.

YTBulldogs
02-17-2012, 08:16 PM
Best wishes to Coach Owens.

44INAROW
02-17-2012, 08:42 PM
I heard EVERY party at your house is epic. I'm gonna get invited to one of those one day... one day I'm sure. :D

I promise :)

apache78
02-17-2012, 09:42 PM
V
Yeah, I heard a lot of grumbling last year. I was hoping they would keep him. It wasn't his fault how the Gobblers season went last year. Buster couldn't have gotten much more with the talent and the schedule last year. Smallest team, size and numbers, that I have seen Cuero have since the early 70's.

Tejastrue
02-17-2012, 09:54 PM
Yeah, I heard a lot of grumbling last year. I was hoping they would keep him. It wasn't his fault how the Gobblers season went last year.

This......:2thumbsup

Blue42
02-17-2012, 11:21 PM
V Buster couldn't have gotten much more with the talent and the schedule last year. Smallest team, size and numbers, that I have seen Cuero have since the early 70's.
If Buster would have coached last year’s team we would not have had the QB we had and would have had twice the # of kids .I know of about 5 kids that did not play this year and would have started on this team.

SHSBulldog00
02-18-2012, 01:16 AM
It should be interesting with this late opening to see who apply's for the Cuero gig.

TarponFanInNorthTexas
02-18-2012, 07:04 AM
Interesting news indeed!

I do know Monty Stumbaugh (former Cuero assistant coach) is looking to get out of Port Isabel. He applied at Mission Sharyland (5A) a couple of weeks ago and is in the Top 5 from what I have heard thus far.

YTBulldogs
02-18-2012, 07:09 AM
I still like Finley being selected. He did buy a house there after leaving Victoria East. Plus, the late action here.

TarponFanInNorthTexas
02-18-2012, 07:11 AM
I still like Finley being selected. He did buy a house there after leaving East. Plus, the late action here.

Mickey or Clint?

YTBulldogs
02-18-2012, 07:13 AM
Mickey or Clint?

Mickey

TarponFanInNorthTexas
02-18-2012, 07:21 AM
Mickey

I say give Clint a chance, if he wants it of course.

YTBulldogs
02-18-2012, 07:21 AM
We have an opening on staff here. Love to have Coach Owens's very talented son, who will be a freshman here playing for the Bulldogs:)

YTBulldogs
02-18-2012, 07:23 AM
I say give Clint a chance, if he wants it of course.

Being Cuero, they will draw some quality candidates for sure.

TarponFanInNorthTexas
02-18-2012, 07:26 AM
Being Cuero, they will draw some quality candidates for sure.

Well, as I mentioned earlier, Stumbaugh from Port Isabel is looking to get out of PI. He's a former Cuero assistant coach.

crabman
02-18-2012, 10:04 AM
Mickey Finley ended up not moving to Cuero and has bought a house in San Angelo. Cross him off your list.

YTBulldogs
02-18-2012, 10:11 AM
Mickey Finley ended up not moving to Cuero and has bought a house in San Angelo. Cross him off your list.

Big Green 61 gave me bad info then:)

12thMan
02-18-2012, 11:47 AM
Owens is going to do great where ever he goes. It's tough coming in after Reeves (who did so well and had a lot of talent) left and meeting all the expectations the city had on the next coach. I'm sure he will get a fresh start at his next coaching job. He will build a program that is motivated to be men and women of good character and succeed off the field as well as on the field.

I've meet a lot of coaches with their priorities mixed up...Owens has his in order. He will be a good role model for his players and his coaching staff.

As far as Coach Finley...I knew that Cuero folks had their eye on him once he left Victoria. Now that Finley is supposedly across the state, I wonder who will come in.

Blue42
02-18-2012, 06:42 PM
Well I know who I want and a lot of the kids who said they would play for. I did not think this would be a brain teaser?and it is not Mickey

FB-fanatic
02-18-2012, 06:47 PM

Did Finley do something wrong... was having to move to San Angelo part of some probation requirement or what?

YTBulldogs
02-18-2012, 06:53 PM
Did Finley do something wrong... was having to move to San Angelo part of some probation requirement or what?

I first met Coach Finley when I called his game (around 84-85'ish) at Iraan back in the day. And, I think he came to Iraan from somewhere near San Angelo. So, that might be home for him.

Blue42
02-18-2012, 07:06 PM
Rick will land on his feet whatever he does HE IS A GOOD MAN and liked by the community but this was not a good fit for him I think his troubles stem from him being too nice . I hope he stays in Cuero in some administrate roll with the school.

maestro
02-18-2012, 07:11 PM
I think most people who know Cuero sports know how this should play out
(yes tunnel vision). I just hope all parties involved in making the right choice can work it all out. I had heard rumors before this news that some kids that would be leaders for next year’s football team not even wanting to play I hope that this may change their minds and we can get back to filling the sidelines with players and the stands with fans.
GO MEAN GREEN.

wow!!! so turns out...cuero kids are not above some other schools in the character department..." leaders" choosing not to play....that's leadership??

jmo..

Blue42
02-18-2012, 07:15 PM
V Buster couldn't have gotten much more with the talent and the schedule last year. Smallest team, size and numbers, that I have seen Cuero have since the early 70's.
The O line was the largest we have had in years even as big as 2004s team but the backfield was very small.

Blue42
02-18-2012, 07:26 PM
wow!!! so turns out...cuero kids are not above some other schools in the character department..." leaders" choosing not to play....that's leadership??

jmo..
Brilliant observation Cuero hater!

unclebeebeep
02-18-2012, 08:52 PM
So any names out there about the potential coach for the job

BigGreen61
02-18-2012, 11:58 PM
So any names out there about the potential coach for the job

Idk but it needs to be a coach that can bring a son or two to the table a qb

1st and goal
02-19-2012, 12:08 AM

That definitely would be a trump card in the deal for the job.

Tejastrue
02-19-2012, 01:09 AM
Rick will land on his feet whatever he does HE IS A GOOD MAN and liked by the community but this was not a good fit for him I think his troubles stem from him being too nice . I hope he stays in Cuero in some administrate roll with the school.

:clap:

Tejastrue
02-19-2012, 01:15 AM

Okay, so all coaches who have no son... period... or much less a son that can't play QB need not apply!! LOL....

Blue42
02-19-2012, 03:58 AM
We could break it down even more they must have 2 son’s and a daughter be a great family man and well respected .

1st and goal
02-19-2012, 08:36 AM
We could break it down even more they must have 2 son’s and a daughter be a great family man and well respected .

AND, a really pretty wife...:stirpot:

hookandladder
02-19-2012, 09:58 AM

jmo..

I have had nothing but respect for the Cuero program for many years, if there are quality players not playing or wanting to play for currect coach I would bet this stems from imput from outside sources not on the coaching staff. It would be a cold day in hell when my son or daughter would tell me as a parent he or she does want to play for a certain coach in high school, suck it up and do your job. Cuero will be back to the Cuero of old when talent is back, this happens to every school. This is no knock on Cuero, kids need to trust their coach no matter what. It all runs in cycles.

Tejastrue
02-19-2012, 10:03 AM

AND, a really pretty wife...:stirpot:

Maybe require the daughter to have SI cover model potential and oh yeah, be intelligent too!! LOL....

1st and goal
02-19-2012, 10:53 AM
Truly, I hope Cuero gets back on track. Maybe with all the oilfield folks moving in, they can get some good influx.

yellaseeker
02-19-2012, 12:32 PM
Brilliant observation Cuero hater!

Well, I'm not a Cuero hater and surely not running to Maestro's defense but, I agree with his statement. Athlete's that play with a burning desire for the game and are willing to endure adversity will play no matter what and I can attest to that. It shows what kind of character a kid has when he just can't quit no matter what the situation is. Don't mean start an argument but, that's exactly what seperates leaders from the rest. If you truly have deep conviction for the game, you won't let anything take you off the field, period.

hookandladder
02-19-2012, 12:35 PM
Well, I'm not a Cuero hater and surely not running to Maestro's defense but, I agree with his statement. Athlete's that play with a burning desire for the game and are willing to endure adversity will play no matter what and I can attest to that. It shows what kind of character a kid has when he just can't quit no matter what the situation is. Don't mean start an argument but, that's exactly what seperates leaders from the rest. If you truly have deep conviction for the game, you won't let anything take you off the field, period.

So true, that's what I am talking about.

YTBulldogs
02-19-2012, 12:47 PM

Didn't that OC you let go provide that?

YTBulldogs
02-19-2012, 12:59 PM
Truly, I hope Cuero gets back on track. Maybe with all the oilfield folks moving in, they can get some good influx.

Awww, just like the old Odessa Permian days around here. Love it.

bigcat8
02-19-2012, 03:30 PM
I agree.. If an athlete truly loves a sport, they will play the game no matter who the coach is!!
I have had nothing but respect for the Cuero program for many years, if there are quality players not playing or wanting to play for currect coach I would bet this stems from imput from outside sources not on the coaching staff. It would be a cold day in hell when my son or daughter would tell me as a parent he or she does want to play for a certain coach in high school, suck it up and do your job. Cuero will be back to the Cuero of old when talent is back, this happens to every school. This is no knock on Cuero, kids need to trust their coach no matter what. It all runs in cycles.

Old Green
02-19-2012, 03:48 PM
Well, I'm not a Cuero hater and surely not running to Maestro's defense but, I agree with his statement. Athlete's that play with a burning desire for the game and are willing to endure adversity will play no matter what and I can attest to that. It shows what kind of character a kid has when he just can't quit no matter what the situation is. Don't mean start an argument but, that's exactly what seperates leaders from the rest. If you truly have deep conviction for the game, you won't let anything take you off the field, period.I agree 100 percent

Old Green
02-19-2012, 03:49 PM
:iagree:
I have had nothing but respect for the Cuero program for many years, if there are quality players not playing or wanting to play for currect coach I would bet this stems from imput from outside sources not on the coaching staff. It would be a cold day in hell when my son or daughter would tell me as a parent he or she does want to play for a certain coach in high school, suck it up and do your job. Cuero will be back to the Cuero of old when talent is back, this happens to every school. This is no knock on Cuero, kids need to trust their coach no matter what. It all runs in cycles.:iagree:

Blue42
02-19-2012, 06:44 PM

Has a lot to do with your last statement trust in your coach they are not super human and in small towns when kids have the option to play more than one sport due to numbers they will play other sports and not the one where they would have to deal with a coach they may not want to deal with even if they are a stand out player in that sport.

hookandladder
02-19-2012, 06:57 PM
Has a lot to do with your last statement trust in your coach they are not super human and in small towns when kids have the option to play more than one sport due to numbers they will play other sports and not the one where they would have to deal with a coach they may not want to deal with even if they are a stand out player in that sport.

So are you saying a 16 to 18 year old kid knows more then a coach who most likely has at least 10-15 years in the coaching field, personally I have never known or heard of a high school kid that knows more about coaching then his coach. Again the kid most likely is hearing all the negatives about this coach from someone outside of coaching, we also have mutiple kids as most 3A schools and on down playing mutiple sports and we have had some give up one sport or another. Some give it up to concentrate on one sport and others give it up for their own personal reasons. The ones that give it up because of coaching or whatever other excuse are really not the ones that will make the team more sucessful, quiters will become a cancer on the team. Best to more on without them, just my 2 cents.

Blue42
02-19-2012, 07:16 PM
Wow just suck it up and do your job you realize this is HS sports we are talking about maybe the coach is miss treating your kid? Then one day when you are in a urine smelling nursing home and you tell your kids I don’t like it here they will tell you just suck it up and do your job. I want the best for my kids if they have a problem with a coach I will address it as soon as it comes up you can call me a noise parent but I would call it a concerned one.

hookandladder
02-19-2012, 07:31 PM
OK, Good Luck to you guys. Hope you find the right coach.

crabman
02-19-2012, 08:23 PM
It is very early in the process but let's put some names to all of these responses on this thread. These are the names I have heard you guys talking about.

Monty Stumbaugh - Former OC under Bill Littleton. Current HC in Port Isabel
Clint Finley - One of the best to ever put on the Kelly Green. Kansas City Chiefs. Current 5A head coach at Los Fresnos.
Travis Reeve - Former OC under Mark Reeve. Current OC at San Antonio Churchill
Tommy Bludau - Head Coach in Schulenburg. Offered the job in 2004 which he turned down. We got Mark Reeve instead. That worked out pretty well.
Nick Saban - Nuff said.

I am sure the list will be 30+. Just throwing names out there.

Gone Fishing
02-19-2012, 11:04 PM

Football players don't quit football !!! Non-football players quit football. Simply put.

Corn Cob
02-19-2012, 11:28 PM
It is very early in the process but let's put some names to all of these responses on this thread. These are the names I have heard you guys talking about.

Monty Stumbaugh - Former OC under Bill Littleton. Current HC in Port Isabel
Clint Finley - One of the best to ever put on the Kelly Green. Kansas City Chiefs. Current 5A head coach at Los Fresnos.
Travis Reeve - Former OC under Mark Reeve. Current OC at San Antonio Churchill
Tommy Bludau - Head Coach in Schulenburg. Offered the job in 2004 which he turned down. We got Mark Reeve instead. That worked out pretty well.
Nick Saban - Nuff said.

I am sure the list will be 30+. Just throwing names out there.
There is only one name on that list that should be considered: Travis Reeve! If he is giving the opportunity, he will have Cuero back on track in a very short time. If the Board doesn't give him strong consideration, it would be a big mistake.

Blue42
02-19-2012, 11:55 PM
There is only one name on that list that should be considered: Travis Reeve! If he is giving the opportunity, he will have Cuero back on track in a very short time. If the Board doesn't give him strong consideration, it would be a big mistake.
Sooooo True

Manso/V8
02-19-2012, 11:59 PM
Wow just suck it up and do your job you realize this is HS sports we are talking about maybe the coach is miss treating your kid? Then one day when you are in a urine smelling nursing home and you tell your kids I don’t like it here they will tell you just suck it up and do your job. I want the best for my kids if they have a problem with a coach I will address it as soon as it comes up you can call me a noise parent but I would call it a concerned one.

1. If your kid was that good and had demonstrated good attitude, he would have played.
2. All nursing homes smell like urine, and most folks in them either can't smell it or get accustomed to the odor.
3. Helicopter dad?

Tejastrue
02-20-2012, 12:01 AM
Personally, I wish Cuero all the best. I hope their next HC selection will be the one that guides them back to the winning tradition they are accustom to. I also pray his skin will be twice as thick and tough as leather.

Blue42
02-20-2012, 12:15 AM
1. If your kid was that good and had demonstrated good attitude, he would have played.
2. All nursing homes smell like urine, and most folks in them either can't smell it or get accustomed to the odor.
3. Helicopter dad?
1. Kid played and started
2. If you’re smart enough and invest your money correctly you won’t have to spend your last days in a government run nursing home!
3. If raising you’re kid like you should and not expecting the teachers and coaches to do it is a helicopter dad than I’m one.

Tejastrue
02-20-2012, 12:54 AM
1. Kid played and started
2. If you’re smart enough and invest your money correctly you won’t have to spend your last days in a government run nursing home!
3. If raising you’re kid like you should and not expecting the teachers and coaches to do it is a helicopter dad than I’m one.

Not sure if you are familiar with Manso, but he is notorious for trying to get under one's skin!!

Blue42
02-20-2012, 01:52 AM
Not sure if you are familiar with Manso, but he is notorious for trying to get under one's skin!!
Yes I have seen him on here before
Hay are yawl going to put up a billboard of your state champion team like you did the other ones on HY 12 I thought that was cool and showed the pride you have for your kids and town.

buff4ever
02-20-2012, 09:18 AM
To Blue42, I know with someone like you it doesn't matter how many people say the same thing to you, they are all wrong and you are the only one right. But, if Cuero had 5 you say players not play football because of a coach, then they would not have been good enough to make a difference. Someone would have had to broke both of my legs to stop me from playing no matter who the coach was. Like someone else has said, if they were really football players then they loved the game, if they loved the game it wouldn't matter if hitler was the coach.

If you truly believe that there were descent athletes not playing football in Cuero, football town usa, then they were probably not quality team players. From what we have all read about Owens on this board over the last couple years is that he does what's right in the way of discipline no matter how hard it may make his job to coach a winning season. He made the decision to kick out of athletics one of the best running backs in the state. That decision probably cost him another playoff birth and his job.

I have a old friend in Yoakum that says you guys had the least talent he can remember in some time. I wonder how that is so difficult to understand, even for a tradition filled town like Cuero.

BigGreen61
02-20-2012, 09:28 AM
Okay, so all coaches who have no son... period... or much less a son that can't play QB need not apply!! LOL....

Would have Wimberley won state without DS?LOL Ask the taylor ducks!.Maybe yal coach may apply for the job I heard he was looking

Lombardi
02-20-2012, 09:28 AM
denial is not a river in Egypt
To Blue42, I know with someone like you it doesn't matter how many people say the same thing to you, they are all wrong and you are the only one right. But, if Cuero had 5 you say players not play football because of a coach, then they would not have been good enough to make a difference. Someone would have had to broke both of my legs to stop me from playing no matter who the coach was. Like someone else has said, if they were really football players then they loved the game, if they loved the game it wouldn't matter if hitler was the coach.

If you truly believe that there were descent athletes not playing football in Cuero, football town usa, then they were probably not quality team players. From what we have all read about Owens on this board over the last couple years is that he does what's right in the way of discipline no matter how hard it may make his job to coach a winning season. He made the decision to kick out of athletics one of the best running backs in the state. That decision probably cost him another playoff birth and his job.

I have a old friend in Yoakum that says you guys had the least talent he can remember in some time. I wonder how that is so difficult to understand, even for a tradition filled town like Cuero.

BigGreen61
02-20-2012, 09:42 AM

As a concern SR parent :iagree:

12thMan
02-20-2012, 10:34 AM
I've been right next to Rick on the sidelines...there is nothing nice about him when he's coaching.

Although I would like to see him stay in Cuero, he needs to go to a school district where he is allowed to do it his way. I'm not saying Cuero didn't, but CISD hired him because he spent so long under Reeves' and thought he would be the same style coach and keep the same system. Every coach is different and we need to set back and let them do what they think is right for the program...that's why you hire an AD.

There are so many good coaches out there that would live to come to Cuero...but they know how it is here...they will not step foot in Cuero.

As far as players not wanting to play...that comes from outside the school. Almost every kid growing up in Cuero wants to be a Gobbler when they get to high school. Since when does the athlete run a program and call the shots?? I don't like my boss...but that doesn't mean I can quit...I have a job to do and other co-workers I need to support.

WHAT LESSON ARE WE WANTING TO TEACH OUR CHILDREN!?!? To quit when you don't like something and it's unfair? That's life...get over it. Don't dwell on the things you can't control and do your best when given the chance. We need to tach kids to PERSEVERE when life get tough...not to quit!

Tejastrue
02-20-2012, 11:45 AM
Yes I have seen him on here before
Hay are yawl going to put up a billboard of your state champion team like you did the other ones on HY 12 I thought that was cool and showed the pride you have for your kids and town.

The billboard has been updated, same location. Appreciate the kind words.

Tejastrue
02-20-2012, 11:55 AM
Would have Wimberley won state without DS?LOL Ask the taylor ducks!.Maybe yal coach may apply for the job I heard he was looking

Not sure I follow. DS, although part of the Texan family, was not a coach's son. Yes, I believe we would have found a way to win state without him. The Taylor thing is getting old. If our coach ever decides to leave it would be on his terms. He has the full support of the school administration and community. We are fortunate to be in this situation.

Gone Fishing
02-20-2012, 12:52 PM
Not sure I follow. DS, although part of the Texan family, was not a coach's son. Yes, I believe we would have found a way to win state without him. The Taylor thing is getting old. If our coach ever decides to leave it would be on his terms. He has the full support of the school administration and community. We are fortunate to be in this situation.

Totally agree. I think we would have won without DS too. And coach Nelms and his entire program is supported very well by all and has put together one of the best high school programs in all classes of UIL. Thankful for sure. Wish CHS good luck going forward, wish we played ya'll again week 0 but maybe later in the playoffs. Oh and on the Taylor thing, I'm tired of it too, they were a good football team.

Lombardi
02-20-2012, 01:51 PM
hard to compare Wimberley. Argyle, and abilene Wylie to most 3A's... Their clientel is very different from a majority of school's they play!!!
Totally agree. I think we would have won without DS too. And coach Nelms and his entire program is supported very well by all and has put together one of the best high school programs in all classes of UIL. Thankful for sure. Wish CHS good luck going forward, wish we played ya'll again week 0 but maybe later in the playoffs. Oh and on the Taylor thing, I'm tired of it too, they were a good football team.

Tejastrue
02-20-2012, 04:35 PM
hard to compare Wimberley. Argyle, and abilene Wylie to most 3A's... Their clientel is very different from a majority of school's they play!!!

How so??

Old Green
02-20-2012, 04:37 PM
:iagree:
I've been right next to Rick on the sidelines...there is nothing nice about him when he's coaching.

Although I would like to see him stay in Cuero, he needs to go to a school district where he is allowed to do it his way. I'm not saying Cuero didn't, but CISD hired him because he spent so long under Reeves' and thought he would be the same style coach and keep the same system. Every coach is different and we need to set back and let them do what they think is right for the program...that's why you hire an AD.

There are so many good coaches out there that would live to come to Cuero...but they know how it is here...they will not step foot in Cuero.

As far as players not wanting to play...that comes from outside the school. Almost every kid growing up in Cuero wants to be a Gobbler when they get to high school. Since when does the athlete run a program and call the shots?? I don't like my boss...but that doesn't mean I can quit...I have a job to do and other co-workers I need to support.

WHAT LESSON ARE WE WANTING TO TEACH OUR CHILDREN!?!? To quit when you don't like something and it's unfair? That's life...get over it. Don't dwell on the things you can't control and do your best when given the chance. We need to tach kids to PERSEVERE when life get tough...not to quit!:iagree: Well said 12th Man

Lombardi
02-20-2012, 06:29 PM
Majority of parents in these school districts have a college education and a little money...Also, those schools have outstanding TAK scores... The ethnic breakdown is also very different than most 3a's...not that these facts are the deciding factors for success..... but they surely don't hurt!!!
How so??

Blue42
02-20-2012, 07:55 PM

Really you would have your kid play for Hitler that’s messed up.
And you don’t know all the circumstances I could have a dozen or more of the kids from school at my house at one time most from the football team so I tend to hear some things that most don’t ,do I put stock in all of it no way. Cuero has a great bunch of kids and will be back to playing high caliber football sooner than most think if it all plays out like we all hope it does.

Blue42
02-20-2012, 08:40 PM

WHAT LESSON ARE WE WANTING TO TEACH OUR CHILDREN!?!? To quit when you don't like something and it's unfair? That's life...get over it. Don't dwell on the things you can't control and do your best when given the chance. We need to tach kids to PERSEVERE when life get tough...not to quit!
My reference about Rick being too nice was not toward the kids believe me I have a son who played for him. It was toward coaches working under him and it was not Rick the reason some of the kids did not play but he could have fixed it.

Tejastrue
02-20-2012, 09:12 PM
Majority of parents in these school districts have a college education and a little money...Also, those schools have outstanding TAK scores... The ethnic breakdown is also very different than most 3a's...not that these facts are the deciding factors for success..... but they surely don't hurt!!!

The clientèle, as you call it, is mixed economically. There are plenty of parents/people that live here, scraping to get by. I laugh when I hear people outside of Wimberley talk about this. Also, make a visit sometime and view our high school and athletic facilities. You'd be surprised. Others on here (non-Wimberley) have commented about it being very poor. We do have a football field with fairly new turf. One of the main reasons the purchase was approved was because of the stepped up water conservation efforts/battles in this area that have been going on years before this drought. No sir, I'm not buying that opinion one bit. What happened to just playing good football and good coaching. It's about commitment and the Cuero folk and others that have posted to this thread share the same view. They know what it's going to take to get back on track. I know they will. They have too much pride and tradition to keep them down very long. As far as the ethnic thing, bologna! That's just silly. If that really was the case we should be at a distinct disadvantage athletically. As far as the TAKS, thank God for the teachers we have who remain in spite of our district's struggles to meet budgets, the salary freezes/cuts/pink slips that have occurred over the past ten years.

Leopard4Life
02-20-2012, 09:27 PM
The clientèle, as you call it, is mixed economically. There are plenty of parents/people that live here, scraping to get by. I laugh when I hear people outside of Wimberley talk about this. Also, make a visit sometime and view our high school and athletic facilities. You'd be surprised. Others on here (non-Wimberley) have commented about it being very poor. We do have a football field with fairly new turf. One of the main reasons the purchase was approved was because of the stepped up water conservation efforts/battles in this area that have been going on years before this drought. No sir, I'm not buying that opinion one bit. What happened to just playing good football and good coaching. It's about commitment and the Cuero folk and others that have posted to this thread share the same view. They know what it's going to take to get back on track. I know they will. They have too much pride and tradition to keep them down very long. As far as the ethnic thing, bologna! That's just silly. If that really was the case we should be at a distinct disadvantage athletically. As far as the TAKS, thank God for the teachers we have who remain in spite of our district's struggles to meet budgets, the salary freezes/cuts/pink slips that have occurred over the past ten years.

Silly Tejastrue, don't you know that being white, hard-working and intellegent translates into athletic success. Just look at the NFL, uhh... NBA, uhh... well there is always the NHL eh! On second thought... I'm getting a distinct feeling that his Lombardi is in now way genetically related to the Great Vince Lombardi.

Blue42
02-20-2012, 10:27 PM
Funny how people will always try to justify why someone is more successful than they are and when you’re not tell you why.

Blue42
02-20-2012, 10:42 PM
The billboard has been updated, same location. Appreciate the kind words.
I will be driving by in 2 weeks will check it out.

Lombardi
02-20-2012, 11:32 PM
wasn't talkinig just football.. At Argyle, I know for a fact a majority of their athletes on on select teams in all sports except football... My point is those kids are pushed academically and athletically at home... Their parents are very involved and a lot of them have personal trainers... Has nothing to do with their athletic ability... I never said that!!!Wimberley may be mixed economically.. But the poverty level is very low in Wimberley , Texas!!

Tejastrue
02-21-2012, 12:34 AM
wasn't talkinig just football.. At Argyle, I know for a fact a majority of their athletes on on select teams in all sports except football... My point is those kids are pushed academically and athletically at home... Their parents are very involved and a lot of them have personal trainers... Has nothing to do with their athletic ability... I never said that!!!Wimberley may be mixed economically.. But the poverty level is very low in Wimberley , Texas!!

I think your argument is full of doo doo. I can' speak for Argyle but I believe their average median household income is over 90k while Wimberley stands around 45K. Quite a difference. You are saying, in Wimberley, we don't have enough poor people and mommy and daddy are very supportive, smart, and rich. How on earth have we not swept the 3A championships in all sports and every year?? Oh yeah, we are also ethnically challenged. Many 3A (blue collar) parents around the state are involved with their kids. I think what you say is a diss to those who are. You don't have to be rich to love, support and be involved. Personal trainers, well, maybe you can give me a ball park figure on how many of our players use them. By the way, where do you reside???

Lombardi
02-21-2012, 12:50 AM
Reside in New Braunfels! Don't know a ball park figure but do know about 10 of them had enough money to join Athletic Republic out of NB and that ain't cheap.. Don't get your panties in a wad. I'm just saying Wimberley is a much different makeup than Cuero ... It was an example.. Cuero has dominated in the past in football and track---Wimberley,Argyle, and Wylie have been outstanding in just about every sport. Their are reasons for that.. and hard work is involved... I'll bet the entire volleyball team plays select at Wimberley...That is not the case in Cuero... Another example... My arguement is not doo.doo It is fact!!
I think your argument is full of doo doo. I can' speak for Argyle but I believe their average median household income is over 90k while Wimberley stands around 45K. Quite a difference. You are saying, in Wimberley, we don't have enough poor people and mommy and daddy are very supportive, smart, and rich. How on earth have we not swept the 3A championships in all sports and every year?? Oh yeah, we are also ethnically challenged. Many 3A (blue collar) parents around the state are involved with their kids. I think what you say is a diss to those who are. You don't have to be rich to love, support and be involved. Personal trainers, well, maybe you can give me a ball park figure on how many of our players use them. By the way, where do you reside???

Blue42
02-21-2012, 01:38 AM
The Eagle Ford Shale may change the Cuero dynamic some I know as soon as they hit on my land were going to load up the truck and head to Beverly Hills that is - swimming pools, movie stars........

Tejastrue
02-21-2012, 01:39 AM
Reside in New Braunfels! Don't know a ball park figure but do know about 10 of them had enough money to join Athletic Republic out of NB and that ain't cheap.. Don't get your panties in a wad. I'm just saying Wimberley is a much different makeup than Cuero ... It was an example.. Cuero has dominated in the past in football and track---Wimberley,Argyle, and Wylie have been outstanding in just about every sport. Their are reasons for that.. and hard work is involved... I'll bet the entire volleyball team plays select at Wimberley...That is not the case in Cuero... Another example... My arguement is not doo.doo It is fact!!

Wow, nice CSI New Braunfels work there. Panties in a wad, now that's original. Okay, well the only panties that have a wad are the ones your GF was wearing after I put it there. Bada boom bada bing!!

Seriously, I'm still not getting the point you've been trying to make. It appears you have a vendetta or a grudge. Maybe you're an alumni of the red field there in NB and have that notorious "Red Field Syndrome". I will pray for you. Best of luck.

Tejastrue
02-21-2012, 01:48 AM
The Eagle Ford Shale may change the Cuero dynamic some I know as soon as they hit on my land were going to load up the truck and head to Beverly Hills that is - swimming pools, movie stars........

And personal trainers... lol

Lombardi
02-21-2012, 01:56 AM
You are dense and childish.... I will pray for you...
Wow, nice CSI New Braunfels work there. Panties in a wad, now that's original. Okay, well the only panties that have a wad are the ones your GF was wearing after I put it there. Bada boom bada bing!!

Seriously, I'm still not getting the point you've been trying to make. It appears you have a vendetta or a grudge. Maybe you're an alumni of the red field there in NB and have that notorious "Red Field Syndrome". I will pray for you. Best of luck.

Tejastrue
02-21-2012, 02:07 AM
You are dense and childish.... I will pray for you...

LOL... me thinks, me struck, the veta madre... Good luck in your endevours to dissect 3A high school sports.....

Tejastrue
02-21-2012, 02:29 AM
And by the way, we love winning but this is really the type of things that Wimberley is really all about...

http://www.kxan.com/dpp/sports/ahead-of-the-pack

1st and goal
02-21-2012, 02:22 PM

UNCLE JED!!! I'VE BEEN WAITING FOR YOUR OIL TO HIT! I'm ready to become a double naught spy. I already know my goezentas.

Truth be known, if your family is deep rooted in Cuero, there's a half a chance we might be 42nd cousins.

teetle
02-21-2012, 02:57 PM
I bes thinking thats a guy nameds Trixler, He bes the fronts runner. :ack!::eek::ack!:

Old Green
02-22-2012, 12:30 AM
:wave:
I bes thinking thats a guy nameds Trixler, He bes the fronts runner. :ack!::eek::ack!:Who bes this guy nameds Trixler ? Where dos he holler from?:ack!:

raider red 2000
02-22-2012, 01:19 PM
:wave:Who bes this guy nameds Trixler ? Where dos he holler from?:ack!:

i heard the dude from shulenberg might be the next head gobbler.

teetle
02-22-2012, 03:22 PM
I's donts knows. He be having its before Reeves, theys announces and hes called back and turns thems down. Little eggs on faces. He bes a good mans. He like Jimmie. He knows what he be doing.:ack!::eek::ack!:

Old Green
02-22-2012, 03:37 PM
i heard the dude from shulenberg might be the next head gobbler.Kinda heard the same thing.

1stnurseryman
02-22-2012, 09:34 PM
Not trying to stir anything up... But please tell me exactly what has he won?? Maybe I'm wrong but according to what I found on Internet has only had a winning season 1/2 the time where he is now. Think I saw 1 season that was 12-2...

1stnurseryman
02-22-2012, 09:45 PM
Stand corrected 5 out of 8 years... Can anyone tell me how Reeve did in his 7 years?? Just curios...

Old Green
02-22-2012, 10:34 PM
Stand corrected 5 out of 8 years... Can anyone tell me how Reeve did in his 7 years?? Just curios...9-2 2003
14-1 2004
13-1 2005
12-1 2006
12-3 2007
11-2 2008
13-1 2009

1stnurseryman
02-22-2012, 10:55 PM
Wow that's impressive.. Had no idea. Just think if we could be lucky enough to have a young coach like him apply. Oh well I imagine we could never be that lucky.

regaleagle
02-23-2012, 02:21 AM
I'm not sure there are many coaches with that kind of run out there, period.

44INAROW
02-23-2012, 09:57 AM
9-2 2003
14-1 2004
13-1 2005
12-1 2006
12-3 2007
11-2 2008
13-1 2009

Impressive indeed!

raider red 2000
02-23-2012, 01:21 PM
Reeve did an outstanding job. I am pleased to say that I was on a staff that knocked him out of the playoffs in 2003.

I am also now at a school that the football team has gone somethign like: 13-1, 14-1, 13-1, 15-0 over the past 4 years.

Old Green
02-23-2012, 08:19 PM
Reeve did an outstanding job. I am pleased to say that I was on a staff that knocked him out of the playoffs in 2003.

I am also now at a school that the football team has gone somethign like: 13-1, 14-1, 13-1, 15-0 over the past 4 years.When did you move south to to the Rambling Orange & Black?

Ya'll had some outstanding players in 2003. Do you ever here from some them?

Snotbubbles
02-24-2012, 08:21 AM
I agree, those are some impressive numbers Reeve put up at Cuero. But, even he could not have won with what Cuero put on the field last year. Next few year's could be sub .500 years for the Gobblers. Barring some talented players getting transferred in due to the oil business of course. My Hurricanes in the same boat after all we lost. Our SV was very bad, nothing coming up.

YTBulldogs
02-24-2012, 08:29 AM
If Cuero can find a QB, with talented soph RB, descent line---they will be ok. This is Cuero afterall:)

YTBulldogs
02-24-2012, 08:34 AM
OG, any word when they like to get this new coach named?

44INAROW
02-24-2012, 10:16 AM
If Cuero can find a QB, with talented soph RB, descent line---they will be ok. This is Cuero afterall:)

:cheerl:

1stnurseryman
02-24-2012, 10:50 AM
If Cuero gets the right coach in place I promise u we will not be sub .500
Just curious were you at any of the games last year Snotbubbles?

1stnurseryman
02-24-2012, 10:52 AM
Meant last year

Old Green
02-24-2012, 11:17 AM
OG, any word when they like to get this new coach named?Everything is quiet.

SintonFan
02-24-2012, 11:37 AM
9-2 2003
14-1 2004
13-1 2005
12-1 2006
12-3 2007
11-2 2008
13-1 2009

:mad::mad::mad:

I remember those earlier years. Sinton had some decent teams and ran into Cuero, too much... frustrating. We had Daniel Ramirez at QB(who played at TAMUK) and your teams were a step or two ahead.
I always said Reeve was a 5A coach coaching a 3A school. :eek:

OLDTIMER
02-24-2012, 12:41 PM
Not saying they would have made the playoffs; but, had they thrown the ball some? By this I mean more than 3 attempts a game and anything other than a 5 yard out. They might have been 5-5. You can't take a DB and make him a QB in one offseason. They never attempted to do anything else. I don't know about you, but if it's not working I would not wait 10 games to try something else! Defense was on the field all year!

They have some kids at the JV & Fresh level that are QB's with good potential. Never given a shot.

And yes the talent does not run as deep as in the past!

I vote for Clint Finley, but what's the chance he will leave a program that he's turned around. He's a great young coach!

I think that about sums it up.

Blue42
02-24-2012, 03:28 PM
Mark Reeve went 84-11 in 7 years at Cuero. The only way to replace a Reeve is with another Reeve!

OLDTIMER
02-24-2012, 04:14 PM
That would work too! Do you think he will apply? I thought he already took a job.

Blue42
02-24-2012, 04:48 PM
That would work too! Do you think he will apply? I thought he already took a job.
Maybe if we make a wish for Travis to get the job and ask Jambi he might grant it for us.
Repeat after me....Mekaleka hi meka hihgnee ho, Mekaleka hi meka chani ho...
your wish is granted long live Jambi
Now lets see if it works for us like it works for PEEWEE. WE CAN ALL HOPE!

Corn Cob
02-24-2012, 08:31 PM
Mark Reeve went 84-11 in 7 years at Cuero. The only way to replace a Reeve is with another Reeve!

Amen Brother!

1stnurseryman
02-24-2012, 08:52 PM
Speaking of 5A, isn't Travis Reeve an offensive coordinator at Churchill? So, theoretically speaking, if we hired him we would have another 5A caliber coach coaching at the 3A level... Cool

Corn Cob
02-24-2012, 09:01 PM
Speaking of 5A, isn't Travis Reeve an offensive coordinator at Churchill? So, theoretically speaking, if we hired him we would have another 5A caliber coach coaching at the 3A level... Cool

Good point. You're smarter than you look!

12thMan
02-24-2012, 10:34 PM
Travis would be a good choice in a lot of people's eye's...after all, he comes in a package deal with a good qb. He's a heck of a coach also.

BigGreen61
02-24-2012, 11:05 PM
Travis would be a good choice in a lot of people's eye's...after all, he comes in a package deal with a good qb. He's a heck of a coach also.

Travis would be a good AD/HC&OC That would take care of hiring two coaches because you would get two coaches in one with Travis

cr180t
02-25-2012, 11:17 AM
How is their track team this year? They are always good...

Blue42
02-25-2012, 04:27 PM
How is their track team this year? They are always good...
We should have a good mile relay team.

crabman
02-25-2012, 09:19 PM
Total number of applicants is over 50 with more time to go still. Travis is one of the 50.

Tejastrue
02-26-2012, 12:05 AM
Total number of applicants is over 50 with more time to go still. Travis is one of the 50.

Guess they know a great opportunity when they see it!!

Old Green
02-26-2012, 11:22 PM
Total number of applicants is over 50 with more time to go still. Travis is one of the 50.:cheerl:Glad to hear that. Any of the other applicants well known in these parts?

44INAROW
02-27-2012, 10:52 AM

Good news on both counts.

bigcat8
02-27-2012, 12:02 PM
really surprised Coach Reeve has applied after being passed over the last time it was open! Good luck to all involved.

44INAROW
02-27-2012, 02:05 PM
really surprised Coach Reeve has applied after being passed over the last time it was open! Good luck to all involved.

never mind I am staying out of it :)

Tejastrue
02-27-2012, 02:42 PM
never mind I am staying out of it :)

Please don't...:D:stirpot:

Gone Fishing
02-27-2012, 08:18 PM

Is 50 a lot of applicants ?

crabman
02-28-2012, 12:56 AM
Applications are being accepted through March 8th. Interviews around the 16th. New coach in place by the end of the month.

No list released. Don't know that anybody has asked.

To bigcat, Travis was not passed over two years ago. He withdrew his name from consideration. Too many details to go into on this board. Suffice it to say that he would be welcomed back. The problem is when you get 40 or 50 applicants you are bound to get some dandys. He just needs to rise to the top. Tons of local support for the human element plus his outstanding offensive mind. Never know how interviews and personalities will play out. Remember his dad was the boards second choice. We only got him because the #1 backed out.

YTBulldogs
02-28-2012, 02:06 AM
Applications are being accepted through March 8th. Interviews around the 16th. New coach in place by the end of the month.

No list released. Don't know that anybody has asked.

To bigcat, Travis was not passed over two years ago. He withdrew his name from consideration. Too many details to go into on this board. Suffice it to say that he would be welcomed back. The problem is when you get 40 or 50 applicants you are bound to get some dandys. He just needs to rise to the top. Tons of local support for the human element plus his outstanding offensive mind. Never know how interviews and personalities will play out. Remember his dad was the boards second choice. We only got him because the #1 backed out.

Don't hurt to have a son who is also a descent QB and Cuero is in need of one of those badly. Blake is a great kid too, and I see this a perfect fit bringing them back home.

maroonpunt
02-28-2012, 11:01 AM
Why so HIGH on lil Reeve? There was an abundance of athletes and speed during their 7 years here. Coach came and went at the right time. He knew when to leave, any good coach knows when the well is running dry. And dont give me any we still got it....BS! Coach Owens did great with what he had, he took a chance and he is a winner for doing that! I was in a restaurnt in Yoakum a while back, there was a Cuero, Yoakum, Yorktown FB poster on the wall. Guess who had the smallest and worst looking kids, you guessed it the school that missed the playoffs. Its no big deal really, EVERY town, especially small towns, go through a dowh time. It just is the cycle of life. Lil Reeve did not call the plays while at Cuero according to a coach on that staff, and he did not call the plays where he is at now. He was just given the OC title this spring. ZERO personality is not good for this job as meetings will have to be held with parents on why you are not in the playoffs again! Give it acouple of years and let a new coach get his system in. Go with someone who has been a Head Coach before and dont let this job be the First job. Alot of expectations on this job, the new guy will need to of had experience to handle the situations he will endure. A first time HC will be cocky and come across as arrogant because he will feel that HE is the man, and the old saying "Act like youve been there before"? Well it wont be able to apply if you hire a first time HC and that will cause problems. I know everyone needs to start somewhere, but the 1-2 A is a good place to start as a learning tool. You will need someone with a BACKBONE and not afraid to make unpopular decisions. I think someone with NO ties to Cuero would be best because they know NO one and NO one would feel like the new guy owes them anything. Also they will be coming in with NO idea of the situation and will be able to do things their way not the way it used to be done because those athletes are not in Cuero anymore and you will need to BUILD an overall athletic program and really put some time into Football!**** My two cents here and not trying to piss anyone off, just stating facts the way I see them on a public message board and I am part of the public****

NewSherriff
02-28-2012, 11:20 AM
Maroonpunt....Please don't state facts that you are not sure of. For one, Travis called every play when he was here. Mark would put in his two cents from time to time, but Travis ran the offensive show 100%. The best offensive coach I have ever seen. If you look back at the stats, the offense was in the top 3 in the state every year. Mark managed the team, but never stepped into Travis' play calling. And it is going to take someone that is familiar with Cuero or "Cuero Ties" to handle it here. It not for everyone. Not many can take the pressure that goes along with this job. You are going to be heckled, harrassed, tormented, and just plain given a hard time if you don't win. Winning communities expect to win. If you can't handle that, don't come to Cuero to coach. If you like that type of community and it challenges you as a coach, then feel free to apply. Some coaches like and respect it, some don't.....but you had better be familiar with it or be able to handle it. Just the facts. I have seen alot of guys that have been head coaches before that are just not very good.

NewSherriff
02-28-2012, 11:24 AM
Gotta be tough to coach here and tough to play here...Oh...and YT. Blake Reeve is 6'3, 215 lbs and could very well be the caliber of Arndt. Hardly just decent.

YTBulldogs
02-28-2012, 11:43 AM
Gotta be tough to coach here and tough to play here...Oh...and YT. Blake Reeve is 6'3, 215 lbs and could very well be the caliber of Arndt. Hardly just decent.

Trust me NS, been a Blake Fan for several years and he is a very good QB. And, a super kid that I loved coaching when he played CYFL All Stars. Very respectful and went out of his way to say hi when we came to sporting events in your fine community. I've spoke highly of him for several years and numerous Cuero backers on the downlow can confirm this in my communications with them. Sorry if my wording made you think I was under estimating this good kid's talent NS. If I could re-type, replace descent with good and could very well be one of Cuero's best.

44INAROW
02-28-2012, 12:01 PM
Trust me NS, been a Blake Fan for several years and he is a very good QB. And, a super kid that I loved coaching when he played CYFL All Stars. Very respectful and went out of his way to say hi when we came to sporting events in your fine community. I've spoke highly of him for several years and numerous Cuero backers on the downlow can confirm this in my communications with them. Sorry if my wording made you think I was under estimating this good kid's talent NS. If I could re-type, replace descent with good and could very well be one of Cuero's best.
I do have to say, YT has always spoken highly of Blake - it's unfortunate his "play of words with Descent" probably came off sounding the opposite of what he meant to say..

YTBulldogs
02-28-2012, 12:11 PM
Shame Blake has never been "the man" during his HS playing day's at QB, so we can see fully his true ability. Hopefully, we will see, what we all know he can do, this year, at the helm full time where ever he graduates from.

44INAROW
02-28-2012, 02:22 PM
My two cents here and not trying to piss anyone off, just stating facts the way I see them on a public message board and I am part of the public****

I just love Monday morning Quarterbacks..... you are right, everyone is entitled to their OPINION but there is a difference between OPINION and what you THINK and stating it as FACT. You're obviously close to the situation in some fashion judging from where you "say" you're from. That's great - but let's dissect your comments here for a bit:
"Give it acouple of years and let a new coach get his system in" ......... DONE -

next

"A first time HC will be cocky and come across as arrogant because he will feel that HE is the man, and the old saying "Act like youve been there before"?" You thought Coach Owens was cocky? wow - he never came across to me like that. you are painting with broad strokes here.

"You will need someone with a BACKBONE and not afraid to make unpopular decisions. " I agree 150% with you on this!! The successful coaches in Cuero, made unpopular decisions at some point but we had better teams for it!

" because those athletes are not in Cuero anymore and you will need to BUILD an overall athletic program and really put some time into Football!**** " wow - I wish I had your crystal ball abilities! How on God's green earth do you know what kind of athletes Cuero has coming up? and "PUT SOME TIME INTO FOOTBALL"?? please explain that to me - I might be just a dummy and not understand what that means?

Tejastrue
02-28-2012, 02:53 PM
I just love Monday morning Quarterbacks..... you are right, everyone is entitled to their OPINION but there is a difference between OPINION and what you THINK and stating it as FACT. You're obviously close to the situation in some fashion judging from where you "say" you're from. That's great - but let's dissect your comments here for a bit:
"Give it acouple of years and let a new coach get his system in" ......... DONE -

next

"A first time HC will be cocky and come across as arrogant because he will feel that HE is the man, and the old saying "Act like youve been there before"?" You thought Coach Owens was cocky? wow - he never came across to me like that. you are painting with broad strokes here.

"You will need someone with a BACKBONE and not afraid to make unpopular decisions. " I agree 150% with you on this!! The successful coaches in Cuero, made unpopular decisions at some point but we had better teams for it!

" because those athletes are not in Cuero anymore and you will need to BUILD an overall athletic program and really put some time into Football!**** " wow - I wish I had your crystal ball abilities! How on God's green earth do you know what kind of athletes Cuero has coming up? and "PUT SOME TIME INTO FOOTBALL"?? please explain that to me - I might be just a dummy and not understand what that means?

Hey Maroon... you may want to ...punt on this one. lol...

Blue42
02-28-2012, 07:02 PM

next

AMEN SISTER
We have an obvious choice in Travis I hope and pray that we can get him the School Board needs to listen to the people because a lot of them in this town really want him back, AND I'M ONE...

Blue42
02-28-2012, 07:49 PM
Why so HIGH on lil Reeve? There was an abundance of athletes and speed during their 7 years here. Coach came and went at the right time. He knew when to leave, any good coach knows when the well is running dry. And dont give me any we still got it....BS! Coach Owens did great with what he had, he took a chance and he is a winner for doing that! I was in a restaurnt in Yoakum a while back, there was a Cuero, Yoakum, Yorktown FB poster on the wall. Guess who had the smallest and worst looking kids, you guessed it the school that missed the playoffs. Its no big deal really, EVERY town, especially small towns, go through a dowh time. It just is the cycle of life. Lil Reeve did not call the plays while at Cuero according to a coach on that staff, and he did not call the plays where he is at now. He was just given the OC title this spring. ZERO personality is not good for this job as meetings will have to be held with parents on why you are not in the playoffs again! Give it acouple of years and let a new coach get his system in. Go with someone who has been a Head Coach before and dont let this job be the First job. Alot of expectations on this job, the new guy will need to of had experience to handle the situations he will endure. A first time HC will be cocky and come across as arrogant because he will feel that HE is the man, and the old saying "Act like youve been there before"? Well it wont be able to apply if you hire a first time HC and that will cause problems. I know everyone needs to start somewhere, but the 1-2 A is a good place to start as a learning tool. You will need someone with a BACKBONE and not afraid to make unpopular decisions. I think someone with NO ties to Cuero would be best because they know NO one and NO one would feel like the new guy owes them anything. Also they will be coming in with NO idea of the situation and will be able to do things their way not the way it used to be done because those athletes are not in Cuero anymore and you will need to BUILD an overall athletic program and really put some time into Football!**** My two cents here and not trying to piss anyone off, just stating facts the way I see them on a public message board and I am part of the public****
1ST I take affiance to your comment about the worst looking kids because mine is one of them and he is the best looking most hansom kid you will ever see, and a good athlete you are apparently blind in one eye and cannot see out of the other .
2nd witch school are you talking about Yoakum missed the playoffs?
3rd Travis called all the O plays while at Cuero and I do not think Rick ever called a varsity play in Cuero before he was AD.
4TH Travis has a great personality you apparently don’t know him.
5th Give it a couple of years and have to do this again NO! The Owens are a great family I wish they would stay I would hate to see another family have their lives messed with.
6th If we get Travis he will leave like his dad did his success will have taken him to bigger and better things
7th your 2 cents are not worth a penny.

CueroDad08
02-28-2012, 07:50 PM
Don't look for the Cuero School Board to pick anyone with out any HC experience, I do know that much.

Blue42
02-28-2012, 08:08 PM
Don't look for the Cuero School Board to pick anyone with out any HC experience, I do know that much.
Well then the ones up for election should have a lot more time on their hands they should do what the voters want .

Blue42
02-28-2012, 10:51 PM
The people out there who know the situation with the School Board and what happened 2 years ago are most of the town by now so if their excuse to try to take Travis out of the mix is because they someone with HC experience that’s just poor. I say swallow your pride do what’s right for our kids our community and the future of Gobbler sports and hire Travis what should have been done 2 years ago and we would not be going through all this right now.

maroonpunt
02-29-2012, 01:59 PM
Haha...people dont get all wired up here. It is a public mesage board where one can state whatever he wants as long as he is not making threats.
Sometimes you have to view things without your green/white goggles. EVERY team goes through rough times. I have stated that. There were more than 2 people on head sets during reeve tenure correct????? So not all plays were called by one person and there were some hissy fits and arguments about play calling. I did not say anything about your son, I was talking about a bad looking team in general, not looks or anything, size and frame and muscles and mature looking faces. I think the same thing would of happened no matter who would of been hired, they would not of stopped the rb from doing what he was doing and the team lacked what others in the district had. He was not given two years to build his team, he was expected to do it the way it was done. A coach has to do it HIS way or it will not work. He had big shoes to follow, record wise and athlete wise. Blue I do not understan the statement about him leaving? I would think you would want someone here for the long haul, but why do coaches with success leave Cuero. For the $$$$$$$$. Cuero is like Calallen, no need to pay teachers or coaches alot becasue people want to work here. Correct, get your resume with Cuero on it then leave for the $$$$$. That has to change, but Cuero is a small school and hard to do. I do hope the Gobblers get a good coach and the winning is back, because I hate to see things blamed in the coach when that is not the reason..........Like the OLD saying....not the x's and o's but the jimmy and joes AND that was the case in Cuero the past two seasons.

Fake Punt Baby!!!

NewSherriff
02-29-2012, 03:05 PM
The gobblers will be fine. The 2009 senior class won 3 maybe 4 games with Tyler Arndt playing with them. They were 12-1 and almost knocked off a Gilmer team where they were way over matched. The kids had no where near the talent that team had across the board. Yes....we had Trent Jackson and Tyler Arndt, but the team played harder. Cuero has those kinds of kids coming up again. It won't be long folks!

Tejastrue
02-29-2012, 03:28 PM
I don't know why you guys fail to mention your 2010 team that went 9-3. Your best RB lost for the season in week 4. Team could have easily folded. Our playoff game was one of the most competitive, entertaining I've had the pleasure to witness. Just a play or two could have easily changed the final results. Owens can coach and should still be there. I'll shut up now. Not trying to offend, JMO on the outside looking in.

12thMan
02-29-2012, 06:14 PM
The people out there who know the situation with the School Board and what happened 2 years ago are most of the town by now so if their excuse to try to take Travis out of the mix is because they someone with HC experience that’s just poor. I say swallow your pride do what’s right for our kids our community and the future of Gobbler sports and hire Travis what should have been done 2 years ago and we would not be going through all this right now.

Are you saying Reeves would have made a difference this past year?!?! Let's look at the talent Cuero had before he left...This years team did not have near the same. Reeves would have struggled just like Owens struggled.

I do think Reeves is an excellent coach...no doubt, but the talent we had was one of the best in the state. After the Gilmer game, a lot of people were calling for Travis' job saying how terrible the play calling was. Now, they want him back. I'm not saying it was anyone on here...but it's funny how people have a change of heart. Like the old saying goes, you don't know what you have till you loose it!

I think Travis would be a good fit...I'm just concerned that he will leave after Blake graduates. In a perfect world, I would love to hire a coach that stays another 7-10 yrs.

Blue42
02-29-2012, 06:41 PM
Are you saying Reeves would have made a difference this past year?!?! Let's look at the talent Cuero had before he left...This years team did not have near the same. Reeves would have struggled just like Owens struggled.

I do think Reeves is an excellent coach...no doubt, but the talent we had was one of the best in the state. After the Gilmer game, a lot of people were calling for Travis' job saying how terrible the play calling was. Now, they want him back. I'm not saying it was anyone on here...but it's funny how people have a change of heart. Like the old saying goes, you don't know what you have till you loose it!

I think Travis would be a good fit...I'm just concerned that he will leave after Blake graduates. In a perfect world, I would love to hire a coach that stays another 7-10 yrs.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion and mine is if Travis was here the last 2 years things would have been much different.
1. Rick would still be in Cuero.
2. We would have had a larger team.
3. Blake would have been our QB.
4. Our record would have been much better and no one would be losing their job.
just my opinion.

12thMan
02-29-2012, 06:45 PM
I don't know why you guys fail to mention your 2010 team that went 9-3. Your best RB lost for the season in week 4. Team could have easily folded. Our playoff game was one of the most competitive, entertaining I've had the pleasure to witness. Just a play or two could have easily changed the final results. Owens can coach and should still be there. I'll shut up now. Not trying to offend, JMO on the outside looking in.

I agree 100 percent! That team played with a lot of heart and never backed down. Good year for a first time head coach.

Manso/V8
02-29-2012, 10:05 PM
Though not exactly the same as Cuero, Bellville has a strong football tradition as well. We went through the new coach search and hire process after a painful 2010 season.
I don't remember the number of applicants, but it was in the neighborhood of 50 or so. I heard a lot of the same how, what, and whom arguments.....even demands from community heavies that a citizen committee be responsible for screening the candidates. In the end the new superintendent did the screening and the school board hired a high quality person with HC and AD experience at the 2A level that had no ties to the area or legacy ties to the town politics. It seemed that the focus was what kind of person/coach would be best for the kids. It couldn't have been a better move. Good luck to Cuero. I hope yall find someone that can lead your kids in a positive manner.

12thMan
03-01-2012, 07:06 AM
Everyone is entitled to their own opinion and mine is if Travis was here the last 2 years things would have been much different.
1. Rick would still be in Cuero.
2. We would have had a larger team.
3. Blake would have been our QB.
4. Our record would have been much better and no one would be losing their job.
just my opinion.

1. Rick would have stayed maybe another year...till his daughter graduates. Hiring Travis 2 yr ago would not have convinced Rick to stay. He would have found a AD position somewhere.

2. Like I said before, I do not blame Owens for the size of the team he had. The team started dwindling down back when Mark was here. There were less kids going out for football at the jr. high level the last 3 yrs Mark was here. Kids (and parents) don't get what they want, so they quit. Football players don't quit...they do what are told and play where they are told to play. What are we teaching out kids?!?! It's ok to quit when you don't get your way. If they are that good, they will shine wherever coach puts them.

3. Yes, Blake would have been the QB, no doubt. What if Reeves didn't have a son playing football...would you still want him as your AD? Please, don't get me wrong, Travis is an excellent coach and I would love to see him hired and stay for the long haul. Yes...Cuero is in need of a QB...but don't hire a coach just because he comes with a son that can play. Hire the AD that can totally change the team...from jr. high to high school. (Example...the coach in Port Lavaca).

4. What was wrong with the record of the 2010 team? They made the playoffs and was knocked out by a Wimberly team that was one of the best in state. No one should have lost their job...but they did. Owens did not have a chance like Reeves had.

When you loose so much talent, you will have a down year. It's not always the coach. I hope Travis gets hired...he's a good coach and he teaches the kids much more than football...like Owens.

Blue42
03-01-2012, 10:05 PM
Rick is the salt of the earth kind of guy good family man with great values. I believe what ultimately cost him his AD job was his selection of OC.
Travis is also the salt of the earth kind of guy good family man with great values. But he will run the offence himself and we all know how well he can do that in Cuero. I say give Travis a shot and we will see how(so called ) poor our athletes are now.

YTBulldogs
03-02-2012, 11:13 AM
Talked to a few Gobbler backers yesterday at JH track meet/baseball tournament and they fear those with personal agenda's are getting involved in this current situation in Cuero. Just get it right. Let the selection committee do their job. Sadly, looks messy currently.

BigGreen61
03-02-2012, 09:42 PM
1. Rick would have stayed maybe another year...till his daughter graduates. Hiring Travis 2 yr ago would not have convinced Rick to stay. He would have found a AD position somewhere.

2. Like I said before, I do not blame Owens for the size of the team he had. The team started dwindling down back when Mark was here. There were less kids going out for football at the jr. high level the last 3 yrs Mark was here. Kids (and parents) don't get what they want, so they quit. Football players don't quit...they do what are told and play where they are told to play. What are we teaching out kids?!?! It's ok to quit when you don't get your way. If they are that good, they will shine wherever coach puts them.

3. Yes, Blake would have been the QB, no doubt. What if Reeves didn't have a son playing football...would you still want him as your AD? Please, don't get me wrong, Travis is an excellent coach and I would love to see him hired and stay for the long haul. Yes...Cuero is in need of a QB...but don't hire a coach just because he comes with a son that can play. Hire the AD that can totally change the team...from jr. high to high school. (Example...the coach in Port Lavaca).

4. What was wrong with the record of the 2010 team? They made the playoffs and was knocked out by a Wimberly team that was one of the best in state. No one should have lost their job...but they did. Owens did not have a chance like Reeves had.

When you loose so much talent, you will have a down year. It's not always the coach. I hope Travis gets hired...he's a good coach and he teaches the kids much more than football...like Owens.

12th the 2010 team was left set by coach reeves. What i mean is the players were already set in POS Already. In 2011 when it was time to reset the player we couldnt do it. We started losing kids. & started blaming the OC & his kid & that wasnt right. ask the kids who called the 3rd down plays nuff said!!!?

BigGreen61
03-02-2012, 09:57 PM
Talked to a few Gobbler backers yesterday at JH track meet/baseball tournament and they fear those with personal agenda's are getting involved in this current situation in Cuero. Just get it right. Let the selection committee do their job. Sadly, looks messy currently.

YT Its not a mess its just cuero. see you saturday in your backyard.:1popcorn:

12thMan
03-03-2012, 08:43 AM
12th the 2010 team was left set by coach reeves. What i mean is the players were already set in POS Already. In 2011 when it was time to reset the player we couldnt do it. We started losing kids. & started blaming the OC & his kid & that wasnt right. ask the kids who called the 3rd down plays nuff said!!!?

You make a good point. But...they did loose Trent to an injury after 3 or 4 games and Tyler to graduation. They had to re-do almost the entire backfield. I agree...let the board do their job. The cream of the crop will rise to the top, then they will make the right decision, with all personal agendas aside...I hope!

We might disagree a little on here...but we all agree on one thing...and that's what is best for the kids. It's tuff for them during this time. I hope we find a coach quickly so they can move on.

BigGreen61
03-03-2012, 09:59 AM
You make a good point. But...they did loose Trent to an injury after 3 or 4 games and Tyler to graduation. They had to re-do almost the entire backfield. I agree...let the board do their job. The cream of the crop will rise to the top, then they will make the right decision, with all personal agendas aside...I hope!

We might disagree a little on here...but we all agree on one thing...and that's what is best for the kids. It's tuff for them during this time. I hope we find a coach quickly so they can move on.

:iagree: Lets get a good coach in here & start ralling around him.

YTBulldogs
03-05-2012, 10:48 AM
Heard Coach Tommy Bludau named mentioned alot at this weekends track meet. Where all has he coached prior to the Shorthorns?

bigcat8
03-05-2012, 10:58 AM
Cuero has to increase their salary to get TB..

YTBulldogs
03-05-2012, 11:01 AM

I have no clue what Cuero is offering pay wise. But, was surprised kinda with all the TB chatter. Was his son a senior this year?

NewSherriff
03-05-2012, 02:01 PM
He has another son that is a sophmore. Is about 6'3 and is also a quarterback. Saw him pitch against Cuero a few weeks ago. Kids looks good and may be a better athlete than the senior in time.

BigGreen61
03-05-2012, 07:50 PM

My opinion is cuero needs to hire a head coach or coordinator from a 5a or 4a. Because here in cuero we dont look down to come up we look up to come up. what i mean is the speed of the game is different from a 1a 2a 3a 4a 5a?

44INAROW
03-05-2012, 08:06 PM
straight from the Cuero Record......
Travis Reeve applies for Cuero AD/head football coach job
by COY SLAVIK, Record Managing Editor
(Posted Today 06:48 pm)
The vacant Cuero athletics director/head football coach position has drawn an impressive list of candidates, including former Gobbler assistant coach Travis Reeve.
The job became available last month when the Cuero ISD school board did not extend the contract of Rick Owens, who compiled a 12-10 record in two seasons with the Gobblers.
Reeve served as an assistant on the staff at San Antonio Churchill last season and was an assistant at Cuero under his father, Mark Reeve, who resigned after the 2009 season to join the staff at Texas Lutheran.
Reeve was one of 65 applicants for the job as of Monday. March 7 is the deadline to apply for the position.
Other notable applicants are Columbus athletics director/head football coach Brent Mascheck; Millersville Univer-sity head football coach Greg Colby; Three Rivers athletics director and head football coach Randy Palmer; Boerne assistant Mike Bonewald, who served as an assistant at Cuero; and Schulenburg assistant Gilbert Price, who has served as the head coach at Shiner St. Paul.
Other applicants are:
• Darien Bell, Plant City (Fla.) offensive coordinator
• David Benbow, Prosper defensive coordinator
• Sheldon Bennight, Dickinson offensive coordinator
• Nathan Bruner, College Station
• Blake Bryant, Eanes High School
• Shane Byrd, Corpus Christi ISD
• Larry Calhoun, Round Rock Westwood co-offensive coordinator
• Jim Carson, San Antonio McCollum offensive coordinator
• Kevin Childers, Fairfield defensive coordinator
• Jonathan Christian, Killeen Ellison co-offensive coordinator
• Kirk Collier, Longview Pine Tree assistant athletics director
• Lonnie Cook, Taos (N.M.) athletics direcotr
• Ron Counter, Houston Strake Jesuit athletics director
• Leonardo Dorest, Dallas Gateway Charter Academy head football coach
• Derrick Earthly, Houston Yates receivers coach
• Terry Farmer, Galliano (La.) South Lafourche athletics director
• Jonathan Fellows, Iraan athletics director
• Jason Ferguson, Memphis athletics director
• Timothy Finn, Texas City athletics director
• Robert Ford, Texas Southern University receivers coach
• Phillip Grandjean, Cypress Fairbanks ISD
• Erich Guidry, Kuntz High School coach
• Robert Hagler, Shelbyville offensive coordinator
• William Ham, Fort Bend Hightower defensive coordinator
• Dennis Harris, Gatesville coordinator
• Tom Harvey, Plains athletics director
• Donald Hatcher, DeSoto defensive coordinator
• Kevin Hathaway, La Marque assistant athletics director
• Daryl Hobbs, Beaumont Legacy Christian assistant athletics director
• Seth Hobbs, South Garland co-offensive coordinator
• Gregory Hodge, Perryton coach
• Stan Hodges, West Orange-Stark offensive coordinator
• John Edward Jennings, Nacogdoches defensive coordinator
• Fred Johnson, South Grand Prairie
• Glen Jones, Brady athletics director
• Lelton Darrell Jordan, Terrell athletics director
• Nelson Kortis, Montgomery offensive coordinator
• Brian Kozma, Marshall coach
• Brad LaPlante, Alvin offensive coordinator
• Michael Lawrence, La Marque defensive coordinator
• Jeffrey LeFevre, Ben Bolt athletics coordinator
• Terry Morris, Corpus Christi Carroll athletics director
• Tye Moseley, Ozona assistant
• Marty Murr, Crosby defensive coordinator
• Samuel Padgitt, Tyler co-offensive coordinator
• Paul Parsons, Crockett athletics director
• Nolan Patterson, Deer Park offensive coordinator
• Rudy Powe, Irving McArthur assistant athletics director
• Joseph Roane, West Virginia high school coach
• Robert Russell, Garland defensive coordinator
• Randy Smith, Corsicana offensive coordinator
• Michael Stevens, Vernon offensive line coach
• Gary Van Sant, Tomball strength and conditioning coordinator
• Casey Vogt, New York college coach
• John Ward, Moody athletics director
• Bryan Webb, San Marcos offensive coordinator
• Douglas Wilson, Burnet co-offfensive coordinator
• John Woodard, Ganado coach
• David Yeager, Llano athletics director

YTBulldogs
03-05-2012, 08:50 PM

You maybe right? Didn't see his name on the list. Did see this one though, former Columbus athletics director/head football coach Brent Mascheck.

Old Green
03-05-2012, 11:47 PM
5 on the list have been at Cuero before or has ties to Cuero. Good to see Phil Grandjean on the list.

Manso/V8
03-05-2012, 11:58 PM
Wow, I am surprised the school board would make the list of applicants available to the public.
Is this standard practice for most school districts?
Do you think all of the applicants want to their current employer to know they are applying for other jobs?
Also, making the list of applicants public invites more cussin', discussin', and politicin' from the community.

Tejastrue
03-06-2012, 12:26 AM
Wow, I am surprised the school board would make the list of applicants available to the public.
Do you think all of the applicants want to their current employer to know they are applying for other jobs?
Also, making the list of applicants public invites more cussin', discussin', and politicin' from the community.

I'm with you Manso (can you believe it), this should not be public, at least not till after a decision has been made.

ccmom
03-06-2012, 07:24 AM
I'm with you Manso (can you believe it), this should not be public, at least not till after a decision has been made.Happens all the time. It is my understanding that if the list of applicants is requested, it has to be released. I've seen it happen a lot.

Old Green
03-06-2012, 08:03 AM
Happens all the time. It is my understanding that if the list of applicants is requested, it has to be released. I've seen it happen a lot.:iagree: Victoria Advocate printed the Victoria East coaches application last month before the list was narrowed down to 5 applicants.

buff4ever
03-06-2012, 09:26 AM
:iagree: Victoria Advocate printed the Victoria East coaches application last month before the list was narrowed down to 5 applicants.

Nothing good can really come of it, only bad. Hopefully nothing bad comes of it, but no good reason to release list until narrowing down has occurred. This will make more people question narrowing power than what would normally occur.

Old Green
03-06-2012, 10:57 AM
Nothing good can really come of it, only bad. Hopefully nothing bad comes of it, but no good reason to release list until narrowing down has occurred. This will make more people question narrowing power than what would normally occur.I agree with you on this. Saw it happen last month in Victoria. They had everyone questioning the last 5 who made final cut. But the thing is, the list of applicants can be posted if requested.

Matthew328
03-06-2012, 11:04 AM
A lot of ISDs are using outside firms to cut their applications down, that way they'll never have to release the complete applicant list..(Denison is doing this)..once finalists are cut and the district does their interviews then they have to respond to the FOI within 10 days I believe...

Phil C
03-06-2012, 11:09 AM
A lot of ISDs are using outside firms to cut their applications down, that way they'll never have to release the complete applicant list..(Denison is doing this)..once finalists are cut and the district does their interviews then they have to respond to the FOI within 10 days I believe...

Next legislative session they should put a law that any outside business doing business with governments are subject to the open records act as far as their business with a tax supported entity. That would stop that type of nonsense pronto.

YTBulldogs
03-06-2012, 11:14 AM
Based on this list to date, I'll go with Travis landing this job. Still got a few days to apply before deadline.

44INAROW
03-06-2012, 11:17 AM
Lots of interest in a little ole Reg IV school. Didn't think anyone cared :crazy:

YTBulldogs
03-06-2012, 11:23 AM
Lots of interest in a little ole Reg IV school. Didn't think anyone cared :crazy:

It's Cuero 44:)

44INAROW
03-06-2012, 03:07 PM

""The deadline to apply for the position is Wednes day, but Henry Lind, superintendent of the Cuero Independent School District, released a list of the applicants Monday following a Freedom of Infor mation request filed by the Advocate."

http://www.victoriaadvocate.com/news/2012/mar/05/cuerocoachlist_030712_169532/?counties

I am just reporting the news - doesn't mean I agree or disagree with any of the info or the way it's reported. That's my story, and I'm sticking to it :)

Gone Fishing
03-06-2012, 03:13 PM

Little ole region IV won 3 state championships on Dec 16th.....

BEAST
03-06-2012, 03:45 PM
Glen Jones from Brady would be a great choice. Also, did anybody notice this, "Johnson, Fred South Grand Prarie Recruiting Coordinator"? Since when do high schools get to recruit? At least most of them dont give a guy the title.

BEAST

44INAROW
03-06-2012, 03:47 PM
Little ole region IV won 3 state championships on Dec 16th.....
I was being sarcastic when I typed that - for years, we've heard how "weak" Reg IV is.. preaching to the choir my friend :wave:

Dogman_1969
03-06-2012, 04:00 PM
Donald Hatcher, the DC from Desoto would be a good choice. Young coach that is on the rise and came from great parents and was a hard working kid even back when he was playing LB in Central Texas.......

Manso/V8
03-06-2012, 11:34 PM
""The deadline to apply for the position is Wednes day, but Henry Lind, superintendent of the Cuero Independent School District, released a list of the applicants Monday following a Freedom of Infor mation request filed by the Advocate."

http://www.victoriaadvocate.com/news/2012/mar/05/cuerocoachlist_030712_169532/?counties

I am just reporting the news - doesn't mean I agree or disagree with any of the info or the way it's reported. That's my story, and I'm sticking to it :)

I am not blaming you, I just don't think it is a good idea to publish the list......I didn't realize the Freedom of Information Act applied in a case like this. Bellville went through the HC selection process last year and everything was kept very quiet. The resumes and interviews were even kept private from employees in the school admin building. If anyone would have requested the list of applicants, they would have found a way to ignore/stall giving it out. The local paper would not have dared to be so impolite as to try and force the superintendent and school board.....but Bellville is still a little like Mayberry.

Manso/V8
03-06-2012, 11:42 PM
I'm with you Manso (can you believe it), this should not be public, at least not till after a decision has been made.

I know you are a huge fan, you just don't like to admit it!

SHSBulldog00
03-07-2012, 12:52 AM
Cuero's in that rebuilding stage that all programs go through. For the Gobbler fans and football fans in general I hope it is a short process.

maroonpunt
03-07-2012, 09:30 AM
Big name will be applying this afternoon. Will be big plus for Cuero. Surprised at only 66 applicants. Wonder why some have 200 and some less than 75. I would assume late in the year but it is Cuero so you would think 150+ would show interest. Lots of the guys on list are not coaching where is says they are anymore, they have been replaced.

Matthew328
03-07-2012, 09:59 AM
A lot of schools have recruiting co-ordinators...basically their second sport is to help football players continue to play at the next level...the recruiting co-ordinator handles things like sending recruiting lists to schools/media, cutting up highlight videos, contacting schools about their kids etc...a lot of schools in DFW have them and its not just the big schools..I know Everman has one...

As for the shortness of the Cuero applicant list, a lot of people in the coaching community know that Cuero doesn't quite have the horses they once had...a lot are afraid to go there and not be up to Cuero standards and get run out of town quick...

1st and goal
03-07-2012, 01:57 PM
Big name will be applying this afternoon. Will be big plus for Cuero. Surprised at only 66 applicants. Wonder why some have 200 and some less than 75. I would assume late in the year but it is Cuero so you would think 150+ would show interest. Lots of the guys on list are not coaching where is says they are anymore, they have been replaced.

Bum Phillips? Jimmy Johnson?

YTBulldogs
03-09-2012, 10:55 AM
Well, did any others apply before deadline?

Gontex
03-09-2012, 05:10 PM
Well, did any others apply before deadline?

Cuero Record reported that the list has been narrowed to five finalists. They had them listed, but I don't remember them all. I know T. Reeves was on it. Article said the school board would meet Sunday at 1:00 pm for interviews with finalists and had a meeting scheduled at 6:30 pm possible to make the hire.

YTBulldogs
03-09-2012, 07:08 PM
Thanks Gontex. I found the latest article from the Cuero record:

Five finalists named for Cuero AD/head football coach job
(Posted Today 09:58 am)
Cuero ISD has narrowed its list of nearly 70 applicants for the vacant athletics director and head football coach position to five finalists and could name the man for the position as early as Sunday.
Cuero ISD has called a special meeting for 1 p.m. Sunday to interview the five finalists and will meet again Sunday at 6:30 p.m. to hear Superintendent Henry Lind's recommendation.
The five finalists are Crockett athletics director and head football coach Paul Parsons, Iraan athletics director and head football coach Jonathan Fellows, San Antonio Churchill assistant Travis Reeve, Brady athletics director and head football coach Glenn Jones, and Rockdale athletics director and head football coach Jeff Miller.

Manso/V8
03-11-2012, 12:15 AM
Thanks Gontex. I found the latest article from the Cuero record:

Five finalists named for Cuero AD/head football coach job
(Posted Today 09:58 am)
Cuero ISD has narrowed its list of nearly 70 applicants for the vacant athletics director and head football coach position to five finalists and could name the man for the position as early as Sunday.
Cuero ISD has called a special meeting for 1 p.m. Sunday to interview the five finalists and will meet again Sunday at 6:30 p.m. to hear Superintendent Henry Lind's recommendation.
The five finalists are Crockett athletics director and head football coach Paul Parsons, Iraan athletics director and head football coach Jonathan Fellows, San Antonio Churchill assistant Travis Reeve, Brady athletics director and head football coach Glenn Jones, and Rockdale athletics director and head football coach Jeff Miller.

One guy on the list who isn't and athletic director and head coach. Picking someone without that leadership experience is a risk.

1stnurseryman
03-11-2012, 12:21 AM
I promise u there is no risk in that pick!!!!!

Manso/V8
03-11-2012, 02:35 AM
I promise u there is no risk in that pick!!!!!

OK, dad!

1stnurseryman
03-11-2012, 02:47 AM
Weak.... Very weak- Next

Manso/V8
03-11-2012, 11:08 AM
it just seems to stick out that 4 out of the 5 finalists have AD and HC experience.

Lombardi
03-11-2012, 11:58 AM
This one is a done deal and has been since it opened up!

Matthew328
03-11-2012, 12:33 PM
Gotta think Reeve gets this one

1stnurseryman
03-11-2012, 01:35 PM
We should know by tonite.. It'll be good for the boys to get this behind them and start learning the program of the new AD.

BigGreen61
03-11-2012, 05:27 PM
Just another hour & we will have our new AD/HC. My son & another kid is spring breaking in Big D & they are wating on the phone call from me. I know who I want I kn0w who they want I know what the community I know what the haters dont want.!!!!!

tango
03-11-2012, 05:33 PM
Lot of people anxiously waiting to hear the results.

tango
03-11-2012, 06:38 PM
Heard that Travis got the Job

Gobbler Fan
03-11-2012, 06:48 PM
I was hoping for the Old Coach from Iraan we did well with the last one we got from there. I hope Travis does a good job but if everyone here thinks its going to be like when his dad was here it wont be we don't have the athletes to work with. Good luck keeping everyone happy Coach Reeve :clap:

44INAROW
03-11-2012, 07:02 PM
Word I got is the same - Congrats to Travis!!!!

tango
03-11-2012, 07:02 PM
Think it was found that the Iraan coach was in question at his current job. Travis's job is not to keep everyone happy, that job is impossible to perform, his job is to win. I have not doubts he will do that.

BigGreen61
03-11-2012, 07:39 PM
Congrats to coach Travis Reeve!!! Blake I got a D1 prospect to protect your Blind side bud.

crabman
03-11-2012, 08:31 PM
How can that be???? I didn't think Cuero had any talent. :)

BigGreen61
03-11-2012, 08:53 PM
How can that be???? I didn't think Cuero had any talent. :)

:clap: LOL CB I thank if the coaches look right under there nose they would have seen it. my son been on a visit to TULSA & GOING TO UTSA NEXTS MONTH. We have a punter & several kids being look at by colleges

bigwood33
03-11-2012, 09:02 PM
Junior days are fun. Good luck to your son...I hope the recruiting process is as fun as you expect it to be.

BigGreen61
03-11-2012, 09:43 PM
Junior days are fun. Good luck to your son...I hope the recruiting process is as fun as you expect it to be.

Thanks BW33 Iam going to put it in gods hands & help the other kids with their highlights & getting to football camps this summer. Thanks to people like texasprep.net that dont charge kids to cut their highlights.:clap:

Blue42
03-11-2012, 10:55 PM
Glad to see that a GREAT decision was finally made by Cuero ISD...maybe it will help offset the previous bad ones! Travis is one heck of a guy who has the knowledge and know-how to do his job. BTW we DO have talent in the kids who have stuck it out through thick and thin. Look forward to Cuero having a turn-around season! I bet some kids who weren't playing before are going to be suiting up now!!
These kids are EXCITED about their new AD and Head Coach! It's a SUPER day to be a GOBBLER! Our haters are our Motivators...just saying! :)

44INAROW
03-11-2012, 11:48 PM
Just so it's "official"
CUERO - Former Cuero offensive coordinator Travis Reeve will be the next Gobbler head football coach.

Reeve's hire was approved by the Cuero ISD Board of Trustees with a 7-0 vote.

Reeve returns to Cuero after serving as the San Antonio Churchill offensive coordinator the last two seasons.
http://www.victoriaadvocate.com/news/2012/mar/11/cureocoachbreaking_031211_170167/?news

Corn Cob
03-12-2012, 12:29 AM
Glad to see that a GREAT decision was finally made by Cuero ISD...maybe it will help offset the previous bad ones! Travis is one heck of a guy who has the knowledge and know-how to do his job. BTW we DO have talent in the kids who have stuck it out through thick and thin. Look forward to Cuero having a turn-around season! I bet some kids who weren't playing before are going to be suiting up now!!
These kids are EXCITED about their new AD and Head Coach! It's a SUPER day to be a GOBBLER! Our haters are our Motivators...just saying! :)
Amen! You are right on! This whole thing could not have played out any better. The Gobblers will be back on track much sooner than people think. Congratulations Travis Reeve! Thank you School Board and Cuero ISD Administration!

YTBulldogs
03-12-2012, 07:18 AM
Congrats Travis. Super pick IMO.

44INAROW
03-12-2012, 08:31 AM
GO MEAN GREEN.............................. refreshed and renewed!!!! It's a great day to be a Gobbler :clap:

http://www.victoriaadvocate.com/news/2012/mar/11/mf_cuerofb_031212_170170//#comments

CUERO - Travis Reeve enjoyed the six years he coached at Cuero.

"Cuero is one of those special places in Texas where athletics is important," Reeve said. "You have great community support and a great tradition of success."

Reeve is looking forward to returning to Cuero after being named the school's athletic director and head football coach.

Reeve's hiring was recommended by Superintendent Henry Lind and unanimously approved by the Cuero school district board of trustees at a special-called meeting on Sunday.

Reeve left Cuero after the 2009 season when his father, Mark, resigned as athletic director and head football coach to become the defensive coordinator at Texas Lutheran University.

He has been the offensive coordinator at San Antonio Churchill the past two seasons.

"I'm real excited to be going back," Reeve said by phone from his San Antonio residence. "It's an opportunity for my family and me to come back home. We have a lot of friends and family nearby."

Reeve will replace Rick Owens, who was reassigned after two seasons as athletic director and head football coach.

The school district received over 60 applications for the position and interviewed five finalists before selecting Reeve.

Those interviewed were Iraan athletic director and head football coach Jonathan Fellows, Brady athletic director and head football coach Glenn Jones, Crockett athletic director and head football coach Paul Parsons, and San Antonio McCollum offensive coordinator and former Seguin head football coach Jim Carson.

Carson replaced Rockdale athletic director and head football coach Jeff Miller, who withdrew on Saturday.

"We felt like we had some excellent people to choose from and couldn't go wrong with many of them," said B.J. Drehr, president of the board of trustees. "But Travis did stand out and his character we've seen before and we are pleased with what we have."

Cuero experienced great success during Reeve's tenure. The Gobblers never lost a district game, advanced to the state semifinals five times, and the Class 3A, Division I state final in 2004.

Reeve played quarterback at Victoria High and on the college level at Southern Arkansas and Southwest Texas State (Texas State).

He began coaching under Mark Reeve at Victoria High and Plano West before becoming the offensive coordinator at San Antonio MacArthur in 2002.

"I've been real fortunate to work with a lot of good coaches and I've learned a lot from those guys," Reeve said. "To be able to be the head coach in Cuero is a great opportunity."

The Gobblers finished with a 3-7 record last season, had their 42-game district winning streak snapped, and missed the playoffs for the first time since 2001.

"Anytime you have a season where you don't win there are a wide variety of things that happen," Reeve said. "I'm really not sure of all that went wrong. Our focus is going to be on 2012 and getting in the playoffs and making a run."

Reeve's son Blake played quarterback for the junior varsity team at Cuero and will be a senior next season.

Reeve will work on hiring offensive and defensive coordinators during spring break and hopes to start at Cuero when the students return to school.

"Winning's a process," Reeve said. "The first thing we're going to do is get to work. We have a lot of things to work on between now and August. We have to come together as a team and play together."

YTBulldogs
03-12-2012, 08:47 AM
Congrats to coach Travis Reeve!!! Blake I got a D1 prospect to protect your Blind side bud.

Best wishes to Caleb. Great kid, hard worker.

Blue42
03-12-2012, 08:59 AM
Coach Reeve sounds so professional in the Advocate article. It is a true showing of the kind of character he has. Can't wait for him to start working our kids out and getting them back in the winning groove! I guess the "Cream of the Crop" rose to the top!! Go Mean Green!!!

12thMan
03-12-2012, 02:04 PM
Coach Reeve sounds so professional in the Advocate article. It is a true showing of the kind of character he has. Can't wait for him to start working our kids out and getting them back in the winning groove! I guess the "Cream of the Crop" rose to the top!! Go Mean Green!!!

Yes it did Blue! There was no doubt that Travis was gonna get this job. I'm glad the kids can move on and focus on 2012.

Ernest T Bass
03-12-2012, 03:38 PM
Everyone knew from the start that Reeve would get this job. So, why the whole dog and pony show? Reeve seems very qualified and deserving of this position, so why not just give it to him? All the whole show does is cause other people to waste their own time and money and possibly hurt relations at their current district. Just give it to the guy you want and leave the whole circus alone.

crabman
03-12-2012, 08:34 PM
You cannot "just give it to him". It is an administrative position that has to legally be advertised for. There are only two options, hire from within or open it up to the general population. We were not hiring from within so you open it up. To do that you have to narrow it down.

From what I have heard, Travis was not a pre-ordained decision. Some people were pulling for him but it was no slam dunk. He truly rose to the top and was the best and most qualified candidate. That makes me feel like we have the program where it needs to be.

44INAROW
03-12-2012, 08:47 PM
You cannot "just give it to him". It is an administrative position that has to legally be advertised for. There are only two options, hire from within or open it up to the general population. We were not hiring from within so you open it up. To do that you have to narrow it down.

From what I have heard, Travis was not a pre-ordained decision. Some people were pulling for him but it was no slam dunk. He truly rose to the top and was the best and most qualified candidate. That makes me feel like we have the program where it needs to be.

What he said :clap:

Ernest T Bass
03-12-2012, 11:41 PM

Yes, you have to advertise the job for 10 days, but that's it. You dont have to have guys take days off, tell their superiors and their kids that they're interested in another job, and use $3.70 a gallon gasoline to go interview for a job that has already been decided. Post it for 10 days, offer your guy the job, then go public with it.
I have no dog in this fight, but the facade is getting old and takes a toll on the guys who take a chance. Every swingin' coach in Texas knew who was gonna get this job(and many others. Not a situation unique to Cuero). No need for the dog and pony show.

Manso/V8
03-12-2012, 11:51 PM
Cuero is no longer open.

Crow22
03-13-2012, 08:36 AM
Yes, you have to advertise the job for 10 days, but that's it. You dont have to have guys take days off, tell their superiors and their kids that they're interested in another job, and use $3.70 a gallon gasoline to go interview for a job that has already been decided. Post it for 10 days, offer your guy the job, then go public with it.
I have no dog in this fight, but the facade is getting old and takes a toll on the guys who take a chance. Every swingin' coach in Texas knew who was gonna get this job(and many others. Not a situation unique to Cuero). No need for the dog and pony show.

If you KNOW who's getting the job, then don't go to the interview.

44INAROW
03-13-2012, 08:41 AM

obviously, 64 others didn't know this bit of info.......... for some reason - heat and kitchen are coming to my mind.. I am really surprised you made this comment.. I am surprised a coach would make this comment.. sometimes, you're damned if you do, damned if you don't :ack!:

YTBulldogs
03-13-2012, 08:52 AM
Totally surprised by your comments as well Coach Bass. That's part of being a coach, interviewing for openings. Always has been. Some of these coaches who applied might just want to get their name out as available or just the learning process of going through the process. And, like mentioned, if all the coaches knew Travis was landing this job out the gate, they didn't need to apply/interview for it.

bigcat8
03-13-2012, 11:27 AM
The other finalists could have pulled out before their interview. The Rockdale coach realized what was about to happen and he withdrew his name from the process. Most people just assumed Travis would get the job after last time. I think Cuero handled the selection process the right way. Good luck to Coach Reeve!!

buff4ever
03-13-2012, 01:31 PM
The other finalists could have pulled out before their interview. The Rockdale coach realized what was about to happen and he withdrew his name from the process. Most people just assumed Travis would get the job after last time. I think Cuero handled the selection process the right way. Good luck to Coach Reeve!!

I am sure that if one of the other finalist would have blown them away, they would have thought long and hard about their decision. They owed that much to the kids to see if there was anyone better.

WILDGOBBLERCAT
03-14-2012, 07:19 AM
Guess the 4 board members I spoke with told Mr Bass something different than they told me. I was told the entire board went about this task like they should have, open-minded and undecided.

The ones I spoke to said that Travis' interview "blew them away". They picked who they felt would be the best hire for Cuero based on all the information they were provided, and the interview. I believe that's the way the process is supposed to work. We are lucky in Cuero to have good folks willing to spend a considerable amount of time serving on the board.

If coaches don't want their current employers or players to find out they're looking around at other jobs, well never mind it goes without saying.

hookandladder
03-14-2012, 09:41 AM
Guess the 4 board members I spoke with told Mr Bass something different than they told me. I was told the entire board went about this task like they should have, open-minded and undecided.

The ones I spoke to said that Travis' interview "blew them away". They picked who they felt would be the best hire for Cuero based on all the information they were provided, and the interview. I believe that's the way the process is supposed to work. We are lucky in Cuero to have good folks willing to spend a considerable amount of time serving on the board.

If coaches don't want their current employers or players to find out they're looking around at other jobs, well never mind it goes without saying.

Sounds like the school board hired the best coach for the job just like in past years with Reeve and Owens, now all Travis has to do is put his system in with the current players and get the players out of the stands that did not play last year. The talent is there so it should be deep runs in the playoffs again for Cuero, just like in years past. Good Luck to Coach Reeve.

buff4ever
03-16-2012, 02:27 PM
Sounds like the school board hired the best coach for the job just like in past years with Reeve and Owens, now all Travis has to do is put his system in with the current players and get the players out of the stands that did not play last year. The talent is there so it should be deep runs in the playoffs again for Cuero, just like in years past. Good Luck to Coach Reeve.

Hook, I can't tell if you are being serious or a little sarcastic. Are you looking for LG to make the playoffs and cuero stay home, and you get on here and say to all the owens haters that the talent in the stands and on the field wasn't as good as they thought, or were you serious and think that a bunch of football players chose to stay away from the pads and field?

Maybe the cuero kids will play harder for reeves and maybe his boy can provide something at qb that they didn't have, and maybe they will protect for him better than they did for the other kid last year. But I just don't buy the whole better athletes not playing thing, that is the worst excuse to use to complain about a coach I have ever heard. If they didn't play, they weren't that good.

hookandladder
03-18-2012, 08:43 AM
Hook, I can't tell if you are being serious or a little sarcastic. Are you looking for LG to make the playoffs and cuero stay home, and you get on here and say to all the owens haters that the talent in the stands and on the field wasn't as good as they thought, or were you serious and think that a bunch of football players chose to stay away from the pads and field?

Maybe the cuero kids will play harder for reeves and maybe his boy can provide something at qb that they didn't have, and maybe they will protect for him better than they did for the other kid last year. But I just don't buy the whole better athletes not playing thing, that is the worst excuse to use to complain about a coach I have ever heard. If they didn't play, they weren't that good.

It is what it is.