PDA

View Full Version : UIL on Sunday?

3afan
02-17-2012, 08:00 AM
Is it time for the UIL to allow Sunday play? Maybe just for makeup games?

The next few weeks this would come in handy for those baseball/softball teams that travel to play tournaments. Example: Canyon HS softball is in Forney Thur-Fri, storms are fixin' to roll thru that could impact Fridays/Saturdays schedule ... allow them to make up games on Sunday?

Old Tiger
02-17-2012, 08:09 AM
No games should be on Sunday...

They should remove the Friday night live game thing though.

3afan
02-17-2012, 08:15 AM
No games should be on Sunday...

why not if teams want to play?

4x100jackets
02-17-2012, 09:32 AM
why not if teams want to play?

Should be in Church is my thing....I go to church every Sunday and see little league warming up before 9:00 am.. What message are we sending..................It ought to be against the law...............I don't get it, let me stop before I say something that will offend someone.

Txbroadcaster
02-17-2012, 09:54 AM
Should be in Church is my thing....I go to church every Sunday and see little league warming up before 9:00 am.. What message are we sending..................It ought to be against the law...............I don't get it, let me stop before I say something that will offend someone.

Agianst the law?!?!?! geez

Old Tiger
02-17-2012, 09:55 AM
Should be in Church is my thing....I go to church every Sunday and see little league warming up before 9:00 am.. What message are we sending..................It ought to be against the law...............I don't get it, let me stop before I say something that will offend someone.churches r dumb

LionKing
02-17-2012, 10:07 AM
I wouldn't want it as a regular game day happening, but I wouldn't mind for make up game purposes if feasible for a sunday afternoon.
Known several pastors (preachers) over the years, who've shortened their services from time to time for certain sporting events. If the NCAA does it, don't see why U.I.L. shouldn't, at least in some instances.

3afan
02-17-2012, 10:09 AM

OK, so say no games start prior to ... 1pm? 2pm?

against the law? LOL
ever heard of seperation of church and state?

Bullaholic
02-17-2012, 10:11 AM
Just off the top of my head---If Sunday makeup games are being considered by the UIL, I think the only way they should be allowed is over the consenting agreement signatures of (1) parent and all players, with (1) disenting signature making the game a no-go.

Emerson1
02-17-2012, 10:33 AM
Just off the top of my head---If Sunday makeup games are being considered by the UIL, I think the only way they should be allowed is over the consenting agreement signatures of (1) parent and all players, with (1) disenting signature making the game a no-go.

:ack!:

I didn't know it said in the bible that it was wrong to play sports or do a school activity on Sunday. It's no different then spending part of the day watching the NFL or going to a movie or doing some yard work after church. Some reason I doubt that every person who has said no in this thread spends their entire Sunday devoted to God.

Matthew328
02-17-2012, 10:36 AM
I think a clause should be put in that in the event of a rain out/weather releated issue in the playoffs only should a game be allowed to be played on Sunday....in baseball/softball were rain/weather can be a huge factor and potentially put you at a disadvantage in the next round of the playoffs it should be allowed

3afan
02-17-2012, 10:43 AM

I didn't know it said in the bible that it was wrong to play sports or do a school activity on Sunday. It's no different then spending part of the day watching the NFL or going to a movie or doing some yard work after church. Some reason I doubt that every person who has said no in this thread spends their entire Sunday devoted to God.

blasphemy!!! :D

GrTigers6
02-17-2012, 10:44 AM
I think a clause should be put in that in the event of a rain out/weather releated issue in the playoffs only should a game be allowed to be played on Sunday....in baseball/softball were rain/weather can be a huge factor and potentially put you at a disadvantage in the next round of the playoffs it should be allowedOr Viral infection concerns,:D

Matthew328
02-17-2012, 10:52 AM
In the case of the swine flu deal, that was a UIL decision across the board so everything just got pushed back no real need to play on Sunday in that case. In weather releated issues it can affect one team but not the other so it creates a definite advantage...

Red&White_9x5
02-17-2012, 10:55 AM
As much as I understand it would help with cancellations and making up games, I think you open a whole can of worms that you don't need by allowing for Sunday play. However, I do have a question that I have always wondered. My daughter participated in One Act Play and when it got close to competition they always rehersed on Sunday. Why are they allowed to work out on a Sunday, but other UIL activities are not???

Bullaholic
02-17-2012, 10:56 AM

Didn't say a thing about religion. Sundays have traditionally been a family day for all families and I don't think it would be proper for a school to take away that quality time from families who still cherish that time. If I thought Sunday games were inappropriate from a religious standpoint I would have said so, Emerson. You assume way too much, too quickly.

GrTigers6
02-17-2012, 10:58 AM
In the case of the swine flu deal, that was a UIL decision across the board so everything just got pushed back no real need to play on Sunday in that case. In weather releated issues it can affect one team but not the other so it creates a definite advantage...Yeah I know I was just poking fun at the issue from a few years ago. LOL

Emerson1
02-17-2012, 11:15 AM
Didn't say a thing about religion. Sundays have traditionally been a family day for all families and I don't think it would be proper for a school to take away that quality time from families who still cherish that time. If I thought Sunday games were inappropriate from a religious standpoint I would have said so, Emerson. You assume way too much, too quickly.

That's an even dumber reason. It's a make up game. Not games being scheduled for every Sunday.

DeuceDeuce
02-17-2012, 11:45 AM
If you can't find time to make up a game in the 6 days of the week you can already play, do you think adding a 7th will make that much difference? How about playing 1 baseball game a week, this would be another way of helping with bad weather days. Playing on Sunday is stupid!!!!

Emerson1
02-17-2012, 11:49 AM
Playing on Sunday is stupid!!!!
That doesn't make any sense. We aren't talking about a rained out game on a Monday. If a Friday or Saturday playoff game is rained out it makes more sense to play it on Sunday then it does waiting. You don't have 6 days between Friday and Sunday.

SHSBulldog00
02-17-2012, 11:58 AM
If it rained out Friday and Saturday the field might be too wet on Sunday.

DeuceDeuce
02-17-2012, 12:01 PM
Here is a great idea, don't play best of 3. I have never understood why you play Tuesday and Friday all through district and then the playoffs start and you have the option to play a 3 game series. Todays HS athletes, and Coaches, are already asked for more time and sacrifice than at any time in the history of HS athletics and now you want to ask for more from these people? In today's world of Club Leagues, 7 on 7, AAU and all the other outside organizations pulling on kids, I think the idea of playing on Sunday is STUPID! The Baseball season is 5 months long and most teams play over 30 games. That is enough! These aren't pros they are HS kids. Let them have a life.

Emerson1
02-17-2012, 12:02 PM
Let them have a life.
No one forces them to play. Having two POSSIBLE play one Sunday game in the playoffs due to a make up isn't taking away a kids life.

DeuceDeuce
02-17-2012, 12:11 PM
"No one forces them to play. "

You honestly think that allowing them to play on Sunday is going to help the sport? In the playoffs they aren't playing Mon - Wed, so if they have to play Monday they still have 2 days to get ready for their next game. There is no logical reason to play on Sunday.

If you want to make it like the NCAA why dont you let them play 3 or 4 time a week. Maybe they could just take a couple of weeks and travel the state playing?

You must have a kid that is on his way to the majors!!!! He just needs a one extra practice or that one extra lesson!!

Emerson1
02-17-2012, 12:14 PM
"No one forces them to play. "

You honestly think that allowing them to play on Sunday is going to help the sport? In the playoffs they aren't playing Mon - Wed, so if they have to play Monday they still have 2 days to get ready for their next game. There is no logical reason to play on Sunday.

If you want to make it like the NCAA why dont you let them play 3 or 4 time a week. Maybe they could just take a couple of weeks and travel the state playing?

You must have a kid that is on his way to the majors!!!! He just needs a one extra practice or that one extra lesson!!
There is no logical reason not to play on Sunday either.

Matthew328
02-17-2012, 12:15 PM
Until the UIL takes away the 2 out of 3 series rule (which is maybe the dumbest rule ever) playing on a Sunday could potentially have a big impact, especially at the small school level where pitching is scarce at times anyway...that extra day of rest for an arm could be huge for a team....

Baseball playoffs are assenine because you play one game in district and at state you play one game, but for the playoffs leading up to state we'll do it different and do 2 out of 3...pick a way and go with it...

DeuceDeuce
02-17-2012, 12:24 PM
There is no logical reason not to play on Sunday either.

There is no logical reason for your employer to give you 2 days off, but they do!! Oh...wait...there is a logical reason. People perform better when they have a chance to get away. These are HS kids...they should experience lots of things. Not just one!

Trashman
02-17-2012, 12:24 PM
I'm not a regular church goer and i'm against it, just doesn't seem right.

Emerson1
02-17-2012, 12:28 PM
There is no logical reason for your employer to give you 2 days off, but they do!! Oh...wait...there is a logical reason. People perform better when they have a chance to get away. These are HS kids...they should experience lots of things. Not just one!
You aren't scheduling Sunday games every week. No one is stealing away a kids chance to experience anything.

What if the state championships are rained out, do you make the teams go home or stay another night in a hotel so that they play on Monday and not Sunday?

4x100jackets
02-17-2012, 12:30 PM
Baseball plays too many games as it is....If you can't find out who is the best in 20 games or less you have problems. Season is way to long!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

GrTigers6
02-17-2012, 12:48 PM
Baseball plays too many games as it is....If you can't find out who is the best in 20 games or less you have problems. Season is way to long!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Its four months like all other team sports

GrTigers6
02-17-2012, 12:51 PM
There is no logical reason for your employer to give you 2 days off, but they do!! Oh...wait...there is a logical reason. People perform better when they have a chance to get away. These are HS kids...they should experience lots of things. Not just one! I dont care either way but by the way you are acting like these kids dont want to play. I dont know many kids that would be upset if they got to make up a game on Sunday that they missed. Most kids enjoy playing and are upset if they miss a game. The ones that are worried about a day off can rest on the rain out days, DUH!

3afan
02-17-2012, 01:11 PM
personally I don't see the harm of an OCCASIONAL makeup game on a Sunday ...

Bullaholic
02-17-2012, 01:35 PM
personally I don't see the harm of an OCCASIONAL makeup game on a Sunday ...

Nor do I. 3A---provided that 100% of the players/(1) parent agree to it.

Emerson1
02-17-2012, 01:38 PM
Nor do I. 3A---provided that 100% of the players/(1) parent agree to it.

It should be the same for Saturdays then.

Bullaholic
02-17-2012, 01:43 PM
It should be the same for Saturdays then.

I think most players/parents understand that there may be occasional Saturday make-up games in UIL sports, Emerson. Sundays are another matter.

Txbroadcaster
02-17-2012, 01:47 PM
Why is sunday different than the other 6 days?

Bullaholic
02-17-2012, 01:49 PM

Because Sundays have traditionally belonged to families in America. Why don't most people work on Sundays?

3afan
02-17-2012, 01:51 PM
most families enjoy their kids' sporting events

Bullaholic
02-17-2012, 01:56 PM
most families enjoy their kids' sporting events

True 3A, but athletics may not be that important to all families. Again, I feel Sundays belong to families, not the school district, and they should be given the choice to give up their quality time, or not.

Txbroadcaster
02-17-2012, 01:57 PM
Because Sundays have traditionally belonged to families in America. Why don't most people work on Sundays?

A sunday game would allow alot of families the chance to see their kid play...I have gotten to see so few of my daughters games because of distance..if she played more on Sunday I would be able to.

DeuceDeuce
02-17-2012, 02:06 PM

Sunday is different for the same reason people have the right to own guns. Our country and many of the traditions and laws we have are based on what happened over 200 years ago. I am not saing any of this is right or wrong, just saying that the culture sets the standards on how things are done. I can remember when nothing was open on Sundays. Ever wonder why Car Lots are closed on Sunday? Did you ever notice you don't get MAIL on Sunday?

Today these are more traditional days off, but it comes from old BLUE LAWS and the beliefs of those before us. I believe that with 6 days to schedule games, that is plenty. I, for one, spend enough Sunday's preparing for Friday Night Football, and would hate to think I would have to give up a few more watching a resheduled baseball game. I am no expert, but to my knowledge, Baseball Coaches have always found time to play.

LionKing
02-17-2012, 02:59 PM
Geez people, no ones trying to make Sunday a regular game day for high school sports, just an option to be able to play a make up game if one is ever needed, I mean Really !!!

ExScoop
02-17-2012, 03:11 PM
I don't favor playing on Sunday either-I don't thing stores should be allowed to be open either
My grandfather had a grocery store and he never was open on a Sunday and still made money
i think Chick Filet maybe the only chain eating places that is not open on a Sunday.
I use to remember in the 1950s and 60s growing up that it was hard to find gasoline and eating places open on a Sunday.

regaleagle
02-17-2012, 03:33 PM
I'm afraid you will start running into problems with scheduing any UIL sanctioned event on a Sunday, period. There are certain families that will oppose this idea for their children simply because it goes against their beliefs, while others will complain it has never been done before so why change it now. If you have a starting pitcher or other key player kept out of the game because of being a no-show, is that better or worse than rescheduling the game when all the players will be available to play?

3afan
02-17-2012, 03:33 PM
Geez people, no ones trying to make Sunday a regular game day for high school sports, just an option to be able to play a make up game if one is ever needed, I mean Really !!!

ya mon

NastySlot
02-17-2012, 03:38 PM
I don't favor playing on Sunday either-I don't thing stores should be allowed to be open either
My grandfather had a grocery store and he never was open on a Sunday and still made money
i think Chick Filet maybe the only chain eating places that is not open on a Sunday.
I use to remember in the 1950s and 60s growing up that it was hard to find gasoline and eating places open on a Sunday.

I remember "Blue Laws"

NastySlot
02-17-2012, 03:49 PM
ok the opening post mentioned make up games for a tourney....and some are talking about playoffs etc.

My question is what is wrong with the system now? Don't think it is broke....seems to be working.

in the regular season a tourney gets washed out...coaches scramble to replace that tourney with another but more than likely....just pick up two games.