PDA

View Full Version : Will Liberty Hill ever be the Team they were during their glory years??

LIONS#1
02-12-2012, 02:02 PM
What say you LH peeps.......???

Eagle1
02-12-2012, 06:14 PM
Did they just have a great group come thu, and then fell back into the pack?

Phil C
02-12-2012, 06:53 PM
Yes. You have to remember that these things come in cycles though.

zebrablue2
02-12-2012, 06:59 PM
LH was a very good team this past year, possibly a top 10. They have a very solid head coach, so with 1 or 2 D-1 prospects in the mix, they could very well be back at anytime...

Dogman_1969
02-12-2012, 09:39 PM
What made LH go was the OL and the front 7 on defense. A few years ago we played them in LH with a young team and they took it to us in the second half. Needless to say they won state that year. I think there were several lineman that were 3 year starters during that streak.

BLEEDZGREEN
02-13-2012, 08:35 AM
LOL!! LH was not a top 10 team this past year.

panfan
02-13-2012, 12:23 PM
I have been fortunate to have coached several of the young men that will be sophmores and Juniors next year (when the were younger), and know several of the group that will be seniors. Lets start with the freshmen. THis is a very strong group. They only lost two games this past season. One was to Burnet. Burnet Frosh class is strong to. What LH did though was take our frosh QB and put him at the safety positon on varsity - he did very well. He will be the QB for the next three years. We also lost some fish to basketball, and move aways. Overall, the freshman class is very strong. Watchout Burnet, what ya'll did to the fish this past year will not happen again. The current sophs, going to be juniors are strong, but not as strong as the fish. But they do have some nice talent. The current Juniors soon to be Seniors are a very strong class, much like the fish. I expect that the next three years, LH will go deep into the playoffs. Ya'll can take it for what its worth, homerism, whatever. I think LH will be quite the force to be reconed with for the next couple of seasons.

panfan
02-13-2012, 12:25 PM
Agree we were not - but the varisty beat the snot out of the DAWGs. Just sayin.....

BLEEDZGREEN
02-13-2012, 12:38 PM
Agree we were not - but the varisty beat the snot out of the DAWGs. Just sayin.....

Yeah, yeah, yeah, we know.

panfan
02-13-2012, 12:42 PM
Lemon Juice in a paper cut. Honestly though - Had your boy had some blocking in that game, he would have made us pay and it woul dhave been closer. I could see he was talented. too many injuries up front, and he simply did not get the blocking he needed.

Yeah, yeah, yeah, we know.

BLEEDZGREEN
02-13-2012, 12:51 PM
Lemon Juice in a paper cut. Honestly though - Had your boy had some blocking in that game, he would have made us pay and it woul dhave been closer. I could see he was talented. too many injuries up front, and he simply did not get the blocking he needed.

:) Thanks Panfan.
Yeah the line did the best they could with what we had left, he finished with about 140yds 2tds & almost connected on td throw. The play calling also this past season was terrible, some games they would feed him the rock to open up the passing most games they abandoned the run to soon.

Cam
02-13-2012, 12:53 PM

....that was berry berry hurtful panfan!.....let the trash talkin' commence......actually, I'm biding my time....I'm waitin' to pick a fight with LHHS_Mom...she's been berry berry mean to me!.....:stirpot:

Old Tiger
02-13-2012, 12:57 PM
Not until Walker comes back as the HC...he was the catalyst of that program.

LHdog
02-13-2012, 01:21 PM
I agree. Play calling has suffered since Coach Walker left for Rogers. I don't see the Panthers returing to "Top 10" status until they tweak the offense a little and get a QB that is a legit run/pasas threat. In the Slot-T, if the QB just hands-off the ball, the defenses have an advantage.

Troubador
02-13-2012, 01:23 PM
Your son had more carries than any RB in the district. He also carried the ball more than the last two RB's combined. I wish my son would have got half the carries as yours did.

panfan
02-13-2012, 01:31 PM
Agree on the play calling side - But the fish going to QB is a legitimate run-pass threat. In fact, He probably has more gun than Perrin did. Not as tall, but he has a cannon for an arm (also plays catcher) and he knows how to use it. If they will allow him to be that additional dimension to the offense, so the other team is not just keying on the full back and tailback around the end - it will be dangerous. Plus there are some big ol boys coming up the ranks to help out with blocking.

I agree. Play calling has suffered since Coach Walker left for Rogers. I don't see the Panthers returing to "Top 10" status until they tweak the offense a little and get a QB that is a legit run/pasas threat. In the Slot-T, if the QB just hands-off the ball, the defenses have an advantage.

Old Tiger
02-13-2012, 01:51 PM
I agree. Play calling has suffered since Coach Walker left for Rogers. I don't see the Panthers returing to "Top 10" status until they tweak the offense a little and get a QB that is a legit run/pasas threat. In the Slot-T, if the QB just hands-off the ball, the defenses have an advantage.Not just the playcalling but Walker basically ran the off-season, workouts, and etc. Heard players were scared to miss workouts due to discipline he would hand down to them.

greendawg84
02-13-2012, 02:08 PM

Its alright Cam , I will take ole slacker panfan, we have history ! I will let you duke it out with LHHS Mom, and sell tickets on the side !

Burnet and LH have good kids coming up in the ranks. LH will be a lot better this year and will probably win District. Burnet will not compete with them until the following year IMHO. Nothing against anyone , just will be a new program , with a lot of younger players playing up. I can see several Soph playing up this next year.

BLEEDZGREEN
02-13-2012, 02:56 PM
[QUOTE=Troubador;1661259]Your son had more carries than any RB in the district. He also carried the ball more than the last two RB's combined. I wish my son would have got half the carries as yours did.[/
QUOTE]
Well I have nothing to do with that, maybe when your son was RB we had better receivers & a better QB. In the offseason he was told he would touch the ball @ least 30 times so I bulked him up to take that kind of pounding. When we moved here from Katy we were told by Coach Walker that Burnet doesn't run the ball that much but my son didn't care he worked his tail off & earned the right to carry it that much not saying your son didn't but when players started dropping like flies he made the most of it. His ability to score from anywhere on the field must have had a lot to do with his high carry count.

greendawg84
02-13-2012, 03:04 PM
[QUOTE=Troubador;1661259]Your son had more carries than any RB in the district. He also carried the ball more than the last two RB's combined. I wish my son would have got half the carries as yours did.[/
QUOTE]
Well I have nothing to do with that, maybe when your son was RB we had better receivers & a better QB. In the offseason he was told he would touch the ball @ least 30 times so I bulked him up to take that kind of pounding. When we moved here from Katy we were told by Coach Walker that Burnet doesn't run the ball that much but my son didn't care he worked his tail off & earned the right to carry it that much not saying your son didn't but when players started dropping like flies he made the most of it. His ability to score from anywhere on the field must have had a lot to do with his high carry count.

:iagree: With all of the above , situations were different.

LH Panther Mom
02-13-2012, 06:37 PM
Heard players were scared to miss workouts due to discipline he would hand down to them.
I don't know who you heard it from but that's a joke! Scared to miss workouts? LMAO! Back in the day, maybe...

LH Panther Mom
02-13-2012, 06:38 PM
Not until Walker comes back as the HC...he was the catalyst of that program.
:rolleyes:

You folks absolutely KILL me!

Old Tiger
02-13-2012, 06:42 PM
All i know is lh went downhill without him. Rogers with him went uphill quick

LH Panther Mom
02-13-2012, 06:48 PM
What say you LH peeps.......???
We've at least had glory years in the past decade. ;)

Our program is very consistent, with the exception of 2009. It's very rare for us to a stud HS move-in, so we work with what we've had for years. When you look at our rosters over the years, you see the many of the same last names repeated, until the line runs out. Then, lots of times, in a few years, the names will pick back up due to cousins, nephews, etc.

I see folks want us to utilize a QB with a run/pass threat. Don't you also need consistent catching in order to have a passing threat? Just saying...

Will we actually win State again? Who knows? If the stars align right and with a little luck, some breaks & healthy kids, it's very possible. Will we consistently be in the playoffs and go a few rounds deep? I'd almost bet money on it.

LHdog
02-13-2012, 06:51 PM
Again, I agree. Coach Walker has made Rogers a deep playoff threat each year.

Los Owls
02-13-2012, 09:37 PM
Well, the Hondo Owls will go visit the Liberty Hill Panthers this year and play a good program..Good to see the Owls play different teams in non-district...G0 Owls..:clap:

1st and goal
02-14-2012, 09:24 AM
I'm looking forward to LH coming to Giddings on Aug 31st! LHPM...you guys gonna travel to see the preseason games? More cowbell please.....:clap:

LHdog
02-14-2012, 06:26 PM
What is the Panther 2012 varsity schedule?

bobcat1
02-14-2012, 06:31 PM
Will Liberty Hill ever be the Team they were during their glory years??

What say you LH peeps.......???They have never been the same since one night in Midlothian.:evillol::stirpot:

LH Panther Mom
02-14-2012, 07:04 PM
I'm looking forward to LH coming to Giddings on Aug 31st! LHPM...you guys gonna travel to see the preseason games? More cowbell please.....:clap:
We will definitely be there, even though next season, all my babies will be graduated. :weeping:

1st and goal
02-14-2012, 09:21 PM
We will definitely be there, even though next season, all my babies will be graduated. :weeping:

Folks,,,only a mom could call these young men,,,, babies...If you only knew how big they were, you'd be more polite to LHPM...Like ME!!!

Do you have any relatives playing? How are we going to get the inside "scoop" 'bout LH now??? I must have missed a report about your son playing in San Antonio after his knee injury. Does he still want to play or can he play if his knee is alright?

rholl
02-16-2012, 02:32 PM
Hey LH folks....what yall bringing to the table in hoops this year???? I hear yall will be in the Glen Rose Taj Mahal saturday!!!!!

Sportshack
02-16-2012, 08:17 PM
Liberty Hill had a collection of really, really stellar athletes and a system that befuddled a lot of 3A teams for about 4 years. That is how it goes in 3A. They had a pretty talented 2012 class but it just did not pan out over varsity years. People also got used to dealing with slot T. However, generally it is seems to be about the athletic talent at hand. It is more about the Jimmie's and the Joes than the X's and the O's.

LH Panther Mom
02-16-2012, 10:24 PM
Do you have any relatives playing? How are we going to get the inside "scoop" 'bout LH now??? I must have missed a report about your son playing in San Antonio after his knee injury. Does he still want to play or can he play if his knee is alright?
LOL! I don't have any relatives playing, but have plenty of "scoop".

Yeah, the middle one is still planning/wanting to continue playing. He's doing some of the conditioning things, at least what he's been okayed to do. They had squats either yesterday or today early. He did 7 reps @ 455, which was the highest in the group at 7....possibly of all. Speed & flexibility are both getting better. He's just waiting for the full "okay".

LH Panther Mom
02-16-2012, 10:26 PM
Hey LH folks....what yall bringing to the table in hoops this year???? I hear yall will be in the Glen Rose Taj Mahal saturday!!!!!
We actually have one of the best "groups" that we've had in a few years. I was talking to one of the Moms the other day. They have very good chemistry and teamwork & really seem to feed off each other.

bobcat1
02-17-2012, 06:46 AM
LOL! I don't have any relatives playing, but have plenty of "scoop".

Yeah, the middle one is still planning/wanting to continue playing. He's doing some of the conditioning things, at least what he's been okayed to do. They had squats either yesterday or today early. He did 7 reps @ 455, which was the highest in the group at 7....possibly of all. Speed & flexibility are both getting better. He's just waiting for the full "okay".Good news!:2thumbsup

BILLYFRED0000
02-17-2012, 08:51 AM
That is a very good question. We have some of that year to year in Celina. We had 11 outstanding years from 98 to 2008 with 8 trips to the dance and 6 titles. Then had a down year 7-5 and then were put in a situation that I believe the UIL did for an agenda. Had two good years overall but could have been better. Injuries hurt us specially last fall when Roos went down. I still believe that team with Roos could have gone further. I think we have a shot anytime the next 3 years with what I see in the pipeline. But I cannot say strongly enough that most of this comes with the system and staff that has kept the same basic program with only minor changes and adaptations since 1990 or so. Continuity for 20 years in any program is unbelievable yet G. A. and Coach Ford were together for a long time then G. A. moved on and Coach Ford has continued. The coaches are not that similar in their command styles but very similar in process. And the basic systems have changed overtime to allow each group of players to come up comfortable in their knowledge of what was expected. At that point of course the kids have got to play. Some years they did and some of course not so much. But with the quality of the men and their ability to coach at this level and get the kids to perform is amazing IMHO. Cannot say enough about the job they have done.
So is it possible for LH to come back. By all means. But the recipes for each coach and system are different so the mix is very hard to find. Without the continuity that Celina has had it is even harder.
Somehow th world has changed and kids are not nearly like we were back in the day. much change and not always for the good. And still they win. how to do it who know? I wish I knew the secret.....

LHHS_Mom
02-23-2012, 01:47 PM
....that was berry berry hurtful panfan!.....let the trash talkin' commence......actually, I'm biding my time....I'm waitin' to pick a fight with LHHS_Mom...she's been berry berry mean to me!.....:stirpot:

Holy cow I just read this!... LOL why on earth are you waitin'?... lookin' around from side to side
does that mean you are in fact... scared? :eek::1popcorn::crazy::D

Cam
02-23-2012, 02:11 PM
holy cow i just read this!... Lol why on earth are you waitin'?... Lookin' around from side to side
does that mean you are in fact... Scared? :eek::1popcorn::crazy::d

yes!!!

LHPfactory
03-01-2012, 09:32 AM
I have been fortunate to have coached several of the young men that will be sophmores and Juniors next year (when the were younger), and know several of the group that will be seniors. Lets start with the freshmen. THis is a very strong group. They only lost two games this past season. One was to Burnet. Burnet Frosh class is strong to. What LH did though was take our frosh QB and put him at the safety positon on varsity - he did very well. He will be the QB for the next three years. We also lost some fish to basketball, and move aways. Overall, the freshman class is very strong. Watchout Burnet, what ya'll did to the fish this past year will not happen again. The current sophs, going to be juniors are strong, but not as strong as the fish. But they do have some nice talent. The current Juniors soon to be Seniors are a very strong class, much like the fish. I expect that the next three years, LH will go deep into the playoffs. Ya'll can take it for what its worth, homerism, whatever. I think LH will be quite the force to be reconed with for the next couple of seasons.

I have been fortunate to coach some of the classes behind the current freshmen. The current 7th and 8th graders are both very strong groups with their biggest asset being their work ethic. There are some very dedicated kids and families in the 7th/8th grade group. When those boys join the current freshmen in a few years, LH will go deep.

The current 6th graders have some good kids also, but the current 4th and 5th graders have some serious size and speed. they should continue to do well also.

Cam
03-01-2012, 10:24 AM
I have been fortunate to coach some of the classes behind the current freshmen. The current 7th and 8th graders are both very strong groups with their biggest asset being their work ethic. There are some very dedicated kids and families in the 7th/8th grade group. When those boys join the current freshmen in a few years, LH will go deep.

The current 6th graders have some good kids also, but the current 4th and 5th graders have some serious size and speed. they should continue to do well also.

LH will go deep...and Burnet will be right there with you!....those same grades seem to have the most promising talent for Burnet (as shown from last seasons records).....gonna be fun!.......:)

LHPfactory
03-01-2012, 02:14 PM
LH will go deep...and Burnet will be right there with you!....those same grades seem to have the most promising talent for Burnet (as shown from last seasons records).....gonna be fun!.......:)

It should make for some great barn burners and heat the rivalry.