PDA

View Full Version : Is it just me or does it seem that the Brownwood posters....

Sweetwater Red
02-09-2012, 09:11 PM
see their "rivalry" with Stephenville as being bigger than Stephenville does? Yellowjacket posters haven't said much and the Lion posters have been all over any thread Stephenville. Just wondering...

Tin Cup
02-09-2012, 09:35 PM
I personally think the rivalry is less significant now because it doesn't really matter for either team. The kids now don't understand the rivalry and would be just as happy not playing in my opinion. I grew up "hating" stephenville, but its different for seniors now I think. Don't get me wrong though, when these two meet its on and winning is the only result.

Old LB
02-09-2012, 09:39 PM
A lot of 3a folks are not familiar with the Ville. You have to remember, BW/Ville have played 72 times dating back to 1937. There have been some epic games and some lopsided ones but the atmosphere is always great. I do agree with Tin Cup though, it is not what it was in past years.

Tin Cup
02-09-2012, 09:46 PM
I remember breaking my arm in 8th grade at practice one day and on the way to the hospital I was crying and the coach asked if I was in a lot of pain and my response was "No, I just don't get to beat Stephenville next week." that's the mindset I grew up with and I highly doubt many from either school value the rivalry like that

theville
02-09-2012, 09:48 PM
Hate to say it but some of the best games between theville and the wood was in 96 with the triple OT. Wood won that one. And also in 98. Our SC year, they beat us 40-35. Great games that the ones who knew all about this rivalry will never forget.

Tin Cup
02-09-2012, 09:53 PM
I'll never forget 42-39.

As our good friend Dallas said, "42-39!!! THE CELEBRATION IS ON!!!"

BEAST
02-09-2012, 10:21 PM
To be honest, back then our teams were always even. Both strong as hell, us with the run, Ville with the throw. This decade, either team has been obviously better than the other every time we've played except for 08' when we had y'all down 21-0 and y'all pulled off the comeback.

BEAST

Sville
02-09-2012, 10:35 PM
I'm sure if we meet in the first round it won't take long for the rivalry to get re-kindle.

Eagle 1
02-09-2012, 10:44 PM
I'll never forget 42-39.

As our good friend Dallas said, "42-39!!! THE CELEBRATION IS ON!!!"

No I listened to that game and that was the only time that I have ever heard Dallas be at a loss for words.
Dallas said..."tttttt.....tttt..tttt....BROWNWOOD WINS!.....BROWNWOOD WINS!.....BROWNWOOD WINS!

LOL>>>

Tin Cup
02-10-2012, 08:11 AM
It was most definitely Lions Win Lions Win Lions Win. 42-39 the celebration is on.

Lion70
02-10-2012, 08:30 AM
why didn't the coach make it a non district game. Henderson vs kilgore seems kinda like that.

theville
02-10-2012, 08:55 AM
Maybe the Route 66 had something to do with it.

I KID!!!!!! :crazy:

Old Tiger
02-10-2012, 09:01 AM
I remember breaking my arm in 8th grade at practice one day and on the way to the hospital I was crying and the coach asked if I was in a lot of pain and my response was "No, I just don't get to beat Stephenville next week." that's the mindset I grew up with and I highly doubt many from either school value the rivalry like thatyou cried? Ha

Matthew328
02-10-2012, 11:09 AM
good ole Dallas Huston...really nice guy....I got to listen to one of his not so great game calls the year Everman and Brownwood played in the playoffs...but it was still cool to listen to him do them game in the pressbox

LionKing
02-10-2012, 11:16 AM
Actually, the rivalry was only big when Art Briles was there (88-99), he was hired specifically to beat Brownwood, which he accomplished in 90', and when he did start beating Brownwood, that meant his teams were very good, good enough to win 4 state titles in his tenure, and put Stephenville on the maps as a team to be reckoned with almost every year, the rivalry was still heated for awhile after Briles left, but pretty much dwindled every year after.
But when he was there, it was a sight to be hold, so much that Texas Monthly Magazine had the game as one of the top things to see and do in Texas.

BEAST
02-10-2012, 11:22 AM
Actually, the rivalry was only big when Art Briles was there (88-99), he was hired specifically to beat Brownwood, which he accomplished in 90', and when he did start beating Brownwood, that meant his teams were very good, good enough to win 4 state titles in his tenure, and put Stephenville on the maps as a team to be reckoned with almost every year, the rivalry was still heated for awhile after Briles left, but pretty much dwindled every year after.
But when he was there, it was a sight to be hold, so much that Texas Monthly Magazine had the game as one of the top things to see and do in Texas.

When the UIL sent us to 16-4A and seperated us from Stephenville, the rivalry went down hill. I think we went either 2 or 4 years without playing them. Ever since, it hasnt been the same.

BEAST

LionKing
02-10-2012, 11:31 AM
When the UIL sent us to 16-4A and seperated us from Stephenville, the rivalry went down hill. I think we went either 2 or 4 years without playing them. Ever since, it hasnt been the same.

BEAST

Yea I agree, started to add that to my other post but didn't, lost lots of luster moving away to another 4A district and region, then the drop to 3A, I thought for sure when S'ville dropped it would reunite both in a district, but wasn't so this time.

Red&White_9x5
02-10-2012, 11:31 AM
Personally I think it does mean much more to the Wood than it does to SVille. However after the 66-0 beatdown Brownwood took on the chin this past season, I would be very thankful if I was a Lion fan that SVille is nowhere on their schedule

Eagle 1
02-10-2012, 11:35 AM
It was most definitely Lions Win Lions Win Lions Win. 42-39 the celebration is on.

Yes I stand corrected. It was an exciting game to listen to.

BEAST
02-10-2012, 11:54 AM
Personally I think it does mean much more to the Wood than it does to SVille. However after the 66-0 beatdown Brownwood took on the chin this past season, I would be very thankful if I was a Lion fan that SVille is nowhere on their schedule

Yea, we took one on the chin for sure. To be honest, that helped our team in more ways then it hurt them. Just for the record, we put a pretty nasty beat down on them the year before and it couldve been worse. Shipley pulled the dogs off.

BEAST

bwdlionfan
02-10-2012, 12:18 PM

I don't know how that logic equates that it means more to us. That 66-0 was accomplished because their starters were still in when it was 59-0 in the 4th.

The year before, when we won 49-16, our starters were pulled when we hit 49, only a couple of minutes in to the 4th. We could have easily hit in the 60s.

Honestly, I don't think the kids care too much from either town, it's mainly us who lived it during the 90s that care. My logic that tells me it means more to Sville is that their restaurants still refuse to feed our band/drill team when they come to town. I'm not sure if their newspaper still encourages their fans to fill up with gas and food before going to Bwood or not, but they did in the 90s to encourage their town people not to spend money in Bwood. Some of the things they do seem very Aggie like.

LionFan72
02-10-2012, 12:43 PM
I don't know how that logic equates that it means more to us. That 66-0 was accomplished because their starters were still in when it was 59-0 in the 4th.

The year before, when we won 49-16, our starters were pulled when we hit 49, only a couple of minutes in to the 4th. We could have easily hit in the 60s.

Honestly, I don't think the kids care too much from either town, it's mainly us who lived it during the 90s that care. My logic that tells me it means more to Sville is that their restaurants still refuse to feed our band/drill team when they come to town. I'm not sure if their newspaper still encourages their fans to fill up with gas and food before going to Bwood or not, but they did in the 90s to encourage their town people not to spend money in Bwood. Some of the things they do seem very Aggie like.

Seriously doubt that is the case today as their paper is printed in Brownwood, I think, or at least it was. The rivalry of the 90's was totally overblown. The ville had Briles and finally recruited some decent players, won a few championships, but the fans lost control with a taste of success. I personally never considered the ville as a rival, the only real rival for Brownwood is Breckenridge, there was pure hatred!

bwdlionfan
02-10-2012, 12:44 PM
Seriously doubt that is the case today as their paper is printed in Brownwood, I think, or at least it was. The rivalry of the 90's was totally overblown. The ville had Briles and finally recruited some decent players, won a few championships, but the fans lost control with a taste of success. I personally never considered the ville as a rival, the only real rival for Brownwood is Breckenridge, there was pure hatred!

Their paper has actually been printed in Bwood for years. Bwood used to be (and may still be) the only paper with a printing press in the area and it printed lots of the town newspapers from around the area.

Unless you're talking about the fact that I think they're owned by the same company now.

BEAST
02-10-2012, 12:44 PM

Dont forget Cleburne in the 80's for sure.

BEAST

LionKing
02-10-2012, 02:04 PM
Personally I think it does mean much more to the Wood than it does to SVille. However after the 66-0 beatdown Brownwood took on the chin this past season, I would be very thankful if I was a Lion fan that SVille is nowhere on their scheduleS'ville is the one that hired the coach (Briles), had the rallys during Brownwood week, and started the famous shaking cans, all for Brownwood, I'd say that would show who it was more important to at the time.
As for last season's game, well, the year before was just the opposite, all of it doesn't matter, they'll play again eventually anyways, maybe even next season if it works out.

Sville
02-10-2012, 02:17 PM
Some of you Bwood peeps are freakin delusional. First lets address the '10 game that you say could of easily been in the 60's and that yalls starters were pulled early in the 4th qtr.. That is complete and utter BS. It was a 5 point game, 21-16 with 5 minutes to go in the 3rd when yall took control. It was 28-16 at the end of the 3rd. Yall scored 21 points in the 4th qtr. all by your starters. The 1st a 4 yd pass to Shipley, the 2nd a 51 yd screen pass to Longoria, and the final one a 7 yd pass to Shipley with 6:18 left in the 4th. Yall did have a chance to score one more time and Coach Shipley did the classy thing and took a knee on yalls final drive.

Now lets revisit the game this last fall. The score was 35-0 at the half and Sville scored 24 points in the 3rd qtr. The last 10 were from an INT return and FG. Edwards and the other major starters were pulled at the start of the 4th qtr. We did have some starters that played the whole game but that is what happens when you only have 35 dressed on varsity for that game. We only scored one TD in the 4th. It was on an 11 play 8 minute drive were we handed the ball off to the backup running back Cameron Burris every play of that drive. Burris scored on a 5 yd run with 2:06 left in the game. We only attempted 13 passes the entire game, 4 in the 2nd half. Lets be honest it could of been a lot worse b/c it was the only time I have ever seen a Bwood team quit during a game in this rivalry. I listened to the Bwood radio post game interview with Coach Shipley and his comments reflected he felt the same.

BEAST
02-10-2012, 02:24 PM
Some of you Bwood peeps are freakin delusional. First lets address the '10 game that you say could of easily been in the 60's and that yalls starters were pulled early in the 4th qtr.. That is complete and utter BS. It was a 5 point game, 21-16 with 5 minutes to go in the 3rd when yall took control. It was 28-16 at the end of the 3rd. Yall scored 21 points in the 4th qtr. all by your starters. The 1st a 4 yd pass to Shipley, the 2nd a 51 yd screen pass to Longoria, and the final one a 7 yd pass to Shipley with 6:18 left in the 4th. Yall did have a chance to score one more time and Coach Shipley did the classy thing and took a knee on yalls final drive.

Now lets revisit the game this last fall. The score was 35-0 at the half and Sville scored 24 points in the 3rd qtr. The last 10 were from an INT return and FG. Edwards and the other major starters were pulled at the start of the 4th qtr. We did have some starters that played the whole game but that is what happens when you only have 35 dressed on varsity for that game. We only scored one TD in the 4th. It was on an 11 play 8 minute drive were we handed the ball off to the backup running back Cameron Burris every play of that drive. Burris scored on a 5 yd run with 2:06 left in the game. We only attempted 13 passes the entire game, 4 in the 2nd half. Lets be honest it could of been a lot worse b/c it was the only time I have ever seen a Bwood team quit during a game in this rivalry. I listened to the Bwood radio post game interview with Coach Shipley and his comments reflected he felt the same.

I agree with you on this seasons game. They gave up. Thats why I said that whipping wound up helping us more than most know. Major gut check. As for the 2010 game, when I said Ship called the dogs off, I didnt say he pulled the players. Simply put, we quit trying to score. We couldve gone deep to Jaxon over and over if we wanted.

BEAST

Sville
02-10-2012, 02:40 PM
I agree with you on this seasons game. They gave up. Thats why I said that whipping wound up helping us more than most know. Major gut check. As for the 2010 game, when I said Ship called the dogs off, I didnt say he pulled the players. Simply put, we quit trying to score. We couldve gone deep to Jaxon over and over if we wanted.

BEAST

I never have a problem with any of your posts. You generally tell it like it is, but some have revisionist history on events.

Cam
02-10-2012, 03:21 PM
:1popcorn:

Eagle 1
02-10-2012, 04:11 PM
:1popcorn:

Ville-D
02-10-2012, 06:20 PM
I agree with you Red.

see their "rivalry" with Stephenville as being bigger than Stephenville does? Yellowjacket posters haven't said much and the Lion posters have been all over any thread Stephenville. Just wondering...

Rocket
02-10-2012, 06:24 PM
I never have a problem with any of your posts. You generally tell it like it is, but some have revisionist history on events.

Could have been 60 easy...You are delusional if you think otherwise...

Tin Cup
02-10-2012, 10:53 PM
11 more points to our 2010 offense was just 2 passes to Jaxon.

Let's be real, last year, Stephenvilles 2nd team would have beaten us at that point in the season.

Ville-D
02-11-2012, 01:01 AM
After the game Shipley said that our JV would have won...

11 more points to our 2010 offense was just 2 passes to Jaxon.

Let's be real, last year, Stephenvilles 2nd team would have beaten us at that point in the season.