PDA

View Full Version : Oswalt gets Opening Day assignment

Wildcat81
02-23-2004, 06:35 AM
Jimy Williams has ended the speculation of who will be the Astros' Opening Day starter. It won't be Roger Clemens or Andy Pettitte. The manager on Sunday opted to reward Roy Oswalt for his gutsy performances last season.

St. Ivender
02-23-2004, 08:37 AM
Not only does this reward your best pitcher but it takes the pressure off Clemens and/or Pettitte. I've been thinking since we acquired Clemens and Pettitte that Roy O would be the biggest benefactor because I assumed he would be the # 3 starter. Now I think Wade Miller will benifit more.

JasperDog94
02-23-2004, 09:56 AM
What a joke. :mad: He waits until opening day is sold out, then announces that Oswalt will start. Don't get me wrong, I love Oswalt, but you ask the people that bought tickets for opening day who they wanted to see pitch and 80% would say Roger. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Bellville22
02-23-2004, 09:57 AM
Didn't think there was much debate. I've said it all along, when healthy, which it appears he is, Oswalt must be the ace for this team to be at it's best. Pettitte posted an ERA in the 4's last year, at a much bigger park, and Clemens is at the end of his career. I'm glad they acquired those guys, but Os is the best pitcher on the team, and he and Wade need to step up.

St. Ivender
02-23-2004, 11:57 AM
JasperDog94:
What a joke. :mad: He waits until opening day is sold out, then announces that Oswalt will start. Don't get me wrong, I love Oswalt, but you ask the people that bought tickets for opening day who they wanted to see pitch and 80% would say Roger. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: Good point. If I had bought a ticket I would be upset too.

On the other hand this assures them of selling out games 2 and 3 so it's also a good business move from a front office standpoint but maybe a costly PR move.

crzyjournalist03
02-23-2004, 05:03 PM
I love it when I get to say "I told you so!"...check out the very last post on this thread from a month ago:

web page (http://bbs.3adownlow.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=014392#000000)

it just makes economic sense for the Astros to hold back their new signees...

JasperDog94
02-23-2004, 06:43 PM
Well, you were right about Roger, but you were wrong on the timing. Williams didn't even wait till spring training got started to make his announcement. At least not far enought into spring training to make a judgement call. But you were correct about the call. Right now I'm really peeved. :mad: :mad: :mad:

There...I feel much better. :D

<small>[ February 23, 2004, 05:44 PM: Message edited by: JasperDog94 ]</small>

Bull's-eye
02-23-2004, 08:18 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by St. Ivender:
[QB]Not only does this reward your best pitcher but it takes the pressure off Clemens and/or Pettitte.
I agree with the reward, but taking the pressure off Clemens? Clemens thrives on pressure. I would favor him in game 7 of the World Series over Oswalt. Where's the respect of a future hall of famer? I would of given him the opening day start.

Bellville22
02-23-2004, 09:10 PM
You throw your best pitcher on Opening Day, that's what Williams is doing.

JasperDog94
02-23-2004, 10:25 PM
Don't you think he should at least wait to see how they pitch during spring training before he makes that call?

sahen
02-24-2004, 02:12 AM
its not just for opening day guys...he is setting his rotation for the year...ur number 1 pitcher is supposed to pitch first so there is more chance of him pitching against the opposing staffs ace when u meet teams....of course that theory is a little flawed cause by midyear none of the teams have played the same amount of games....but still that is why he is doing it...he isnt just looking at opening day...its the whole year...

sahen
02-24-2004, 02:15 AM
JasperDog94:
Don't you think he should at least wait to see how they pitch during spring training before he makes that call?not when u have the 5 guys that ur sure r gona be ur starters....that way they start getting their workouts right now and can get ready for the season sooner...the earlier u set ur rotation the less likely it is for a pitcher to have a bad start to the season because they get themselves ready to play outa their spot in the rotation early...

St. Ivender
02-24-2004, 07:33 AM
Bull's-eye:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by St. Ivender:
[QB]Not only does this reward your best pitcher but it takes the pressure off Clemens and/or Pettitte.
I agree with the reward, but taking the pressure off Clemens? Clemens thrives on pressure. I would favor him in game 7 of the World Series over Oswalt. Where's the respect of a future hall of famer? I would of given him the opening day start.I couldn't agree more on Clemens' ability but I'm sure he was consulted and agreed with the reasoning whatever it was. He can write his own ticket in Houston right now. If he'd have said "Give me the ball" management would have cratered.

Bull's-eye
02-24-2004, 12:18 PM
JasperDog94:
Don't you think he should at least wait to see how they pitch during spring training before he makes that call?Yes, what if Oswalt struggles in spring training? I would wait to see how they are pitching. I can also see the Astros thinking, how can we sell out more than one game of the opening series? Let everybody assume that Clemens would open and then after game 1 is a sell-out, announce that he would pitch game 3.

Bull's-eye
02-24-2004, 12:45 PM
Bellville22:
Pettitte posted an ERA in the 4's last year, at a much bigger park, and Clemens is at the end of his career.Yes, but they also pitched against the D.H. This year they will have the advantage of pitching to the opposing pitcher.

JasperDog94
02-24-2004, 02:48 PM
Bellville22:
Clemens is at the end of his career.I would take Clemens at the end of his career over 95% of the other starting pitchers in the league.

Wildcat81
02-24-2004, 02:50 PM
JasperDog94:

Bellville22:
Clemens is at the end of his career.I would take Clemens at the end of his career over 95% of the other starting pitchers in the league.True enough wink

Bellville22
02-24-2004, 05:52 PM
JasperDog94:

Bellville22:
Clemens is at the end of his career.I would take Clemens at the end of his career over 95% of the other starting pitchers in the league.Perhaps, but he's still the 3rd best pitcher on his team.

Bull's-eye
02-24-2004, 07:02 PM
Clemens the 3rd best pitcher on the Astros? Last year's e.r.a. was better than Pettitte. I think Williams wanted a lefty pitching in the 2nd spot. Hey, Clemens is in my high school year book. This should automatically make him the opening day starter! LOL

<small>[ February 24, 2004, 06:05 PM: Message edited by: Bull's-eye ]</small>

Bull's-eye
02-24-2004, 07:03 PM
<small>[ February 24, 2004, 06:04 PM: Message edited by: Bull's-eye ]</small>

Bellville22
02-24-2004, 09:31 PM
Bull's-eye:
Clemens the 3rd best pitcher on the Astros? Last year's e.r.a. was better than Pettitte. I think Williams wanted a lefty pitching in the 2nd spot. Hey, Clemens is in my high school year book. This should automatically make him the opening day starter! LOLHaha, OK, you got me on the yearbook thing. But Os is clearly the best pitcher when healthy, and when talking about potential, I think Pettitte and Miller are above Clemens, those guys are young and at or near the peak of their careers. Can't argue with Roger's accomplishments though. I like the rotation like it is, that's exactly how i would set it. With Clemens lower, you can also cut down his starts, if you have a break or something, and hopefully save that experienced arm for the postseason.

<small>[ February 24, 2004, 08:32 PM: Message edited by: Bellville22 ]</small>

AggieJohn
02-24-2004, 10:25 PM
forget the starters guys..i'm worried about the closing aspect of the ball game....how do you think Dotel's move to ace closer is going to go....i think personally that he will be fine..i just worry about the middle relief...lidge, stone, sarloos, all of them better step up...i think the middle relief is the biggest worry

Vrabird
02-25-2004, 07:46 AM
There are a few more arms in the mix for middle relief. Gallo did a pretty good job last year and if Duckworth can find his stuff, he to can contribute. Also Carlos Hernandez is a very dependable arm if he can come back from arm surgery. There are alot of options and big what ifs for the season.

JasperDog94
02-25-2004, 10:25 AM
It may take a while to get the relief guys in the right order. Who knows how Hernandez will pitch this year. Has he ever come out of the bullpin? As far as Dotel goes, he's come a long way from a couple of years ago.

Showtime33
02-25-2004, 10:29 AM
Should be a very good division battle between the Cubs and Stros. I still think the Cubs have the best rotation in baseball and thus will prevail.

Bellville22
02-25-2004, 01:18 PM
Showtime33:
Should be a very good division battle between the Cubs and Stros. I still think the Cubs have the best rotation in baseball and thus will prevail.As do I. I think the Stros biggest weakness is Biggio in CF. I love the guy, and admire his effort, but he just can't cover the ground you need your CF to cover to be a contender.

Should be a fun race. Hope the Stros win it, but I think the Cubs have a better rotation/team.