Opted up from 2a to 4a
SAN ANTONIO YOUNG WOMENS LEADERSHIP ACADEMY - 320

Class 5A: 2090 and above (2065 last realignment), 245 schools
Class 4A: 1005-2089 (990-2064 last realignment), 250 schools
Class 3A: 450-1004 (430-989 last realignment), 190 schools
Class 2A: 200-449 (200-429 last realignment), 235 schools

hookandladder
02-07-2012, 06:57 AM
Wonder why Stephenville did not Opt-up to 4A, just curious.

Ville-D
05-04-2012, 10:52 PM
Wonder why Stephenville did not Opt-up to 4A, just curious.

I just noticed that this never got answered...

From what I was told; we would have remained competitive in varsity football at the 4A level, but the drop down helps us to be more competitive in more sports (girls and boys / varsity, sub-varsity and jr. high).

regaleagle
05-04-2012, 11:01 PM
Sounds kinda subliminal to me. :crazy1:

Old Tiger
05-04-2012, 11:18 PM
Wonder why dunbar and lincoln opted up

Tejastrue
05-04-2012, 11:32 PM
I just noticed that this never got answered...

From what I was told; we would have remained competitive in varsity football at the 4A level, but the drop down helps us to be more competitive in more sports (girls and boys / varsity, sub-varsity and jr. high).

In most schools football is the driving force (financially) behind all the other sports...me thinks that a SC title, would be most beneficial...thus the reason for the drop down...

Ville-D
05-04-2012, 11:39 PM
Wonder why dunbar and lincoln opted up

Basketball

Manso/V8
05-04-2012, 11:48 PM
The potential to be more competitive in sports besides football by dropping from 4a to 3a was and "early Christmas" and caused some Stephenville fans to dance for joy? I'm not buying that statement. If the football team is good, why can't yall compete in other 4a sports?

defense51
05-05-2012, 06:12 AM
I'm guessing like most schools the football program has more funds, more coaches, more fan support, more student participation, etc... Alvarado was just beginning to be competitive in football our last year in 4A, but the other sports with the exception of a hand full of kids in track and tennis just couldn't seem to compete. After dropping to 3A we are competitive in most sports (excelling in a few) with some still lagging behind but steadily improving. Again it's just a guess, but dropping down to 3A made a huge difference in our athletic programs overall.

Ville-D
05-05-2012, 09:27 AM
The potential to be more competitive in sports besides football by dropping from 4a to 3a was and "early Christmas" and caused some Stephenville fans to dance for joy? I'm not buying that statement. If the football team is good, why can't yall compete in other 4a sports?

You are quoting one poster from Stephenville, not me.

I'm guessing like most schools the football program has more funds, more coaches, more fan support, more student participation, etc... Alvarado was just beginning to be competitive in football our last year in 4A, but the other sports with the exception of a hand full of kids in track and tennis just couldn't seem to compete. After dropping to 3A we are competitive in most sports (excelling in a few) with some still lagging behind but steadily improving. Again it's just a guess, but dropping down to 3A made a huge difference in our athletic programs overall.

You are exactly right D51.

Gone Fishing
05-05-2012, 01:52 PM
In most schools football is the driving force (financially) behind all the other sports...me thinks that a SC title, would be most beneficial...thus the reason for the drop down...

I agree Tejas.

Manso/V8
05-05-2012, 02:34 PM

For sure, football is the driving force in the athletic program for most Texas high schools. A strong football program seems to make everything better. It makes the small town world seems like a better place, the community bands together, everyone is in a good mood, people spend more money and eat out more.......I even think it can even have an impact on property values. Our team went through a couple of down years, after 10 straight years in the playoffs, and the difference around town was palpable.
I imagine a SC title (which we don't have) has a lasting positive impact, congrats your two (hoarder)!

However, does high school football really help financially support other sports? I think even a good percentage of D-1 football schools operate at a loss. I always thought football was the biggest expense in high school programs. I am sure the gate receipts help offset some of the costs, but if you take in to account all that expenses for football, I wouldn't think it is self-supporting and contributes financially to other sports. I am not trying to be negative, I think football and other sports are an important part of the high school experience. Maybe someone with more knowledge about the economics could provide some details.

Tejastrue
05-05-2012, 05:17 PM
For sure, football is the driving force in the athletic program for most Texas high schools. A strong football program seems to make everything better. It makes the small town world seems like a better place, the community bands together, everyone is in a good mood, people spend more money and eat out more.......I even think it can even have an impact on property values. Our team went through a couple of down years, after 10 straight years in the playoffs, and the difference around town was palpable.
I imagine a SC title (which we don't have) has a lasting positive impact, congrats your two (hoarder)!

However, does high school football really help financially support other sports? I think even a good percentage of D-1 football schools operate at a loss. I always thought football was the biggest expense in high school programs. I am sure the gate receipts help offset some of the costs, but if you take in to account all that expenses for football, I wouldn't think it is self-supporting and contributes financially to other sports. I am not trying to be negative, I think football and other sports are an important part of the high school experience. Maybe someone with more knowledge about the economics could provide some details.

I probably should have worded that a little differently Manso. We all know football is king here in Texas. The success of a football program indirectly benefits the other sports. For example communities tend to vote in favor of new facilities or upgrades. The trickle down is you may get a new track, baseball field, tennis courts, etc. thrown in. You see it all the time. In no way did I mean that it was self sustaining. For us, we need every fundraiser our Booster Club can muster and we'd be in a heap of trouble if not for their continued dedication. I believe GF said that each FB player pays $150.00 a season just to be able to participate. We continue the fight against Chapter 41 and our district is facing another shortfall. With all that said it will be interesting to see if this 2nd SC title will have any impact on upgrading our outdated facilities. Time will tell.

Basketball

Cost.

VWG
05-06-2012, 01:53 PM
River Road opting up from 2A... don't know why the UIL allowed this.
Then again, understanding the UIL is like trying to understand the federal government.