PDA

View Full Version : Why Not??? (Play Stephenville)

regaleagle
02-03-2012, 07:02 AM
Well, I'm not Coach Rodgers. And I'm certain he has good reasons for not scheduling Sville. But it seems to me that being in a 5-team district like Argyle(and Celina) ended up in, one more scheduled pre-district game would be even MORE reason to schedule a top team like Sville. Esp. since they are looking for a team like ours to schedule with. Even a loss will not be a bad thing. Maybe he's protecting against possible injuries. But that's not the way you look at it. And what would happen in the event we UPSET them? Wow, oh wow!!! I see it as a "no-lose" move. But that's why I'm not the coach.

orange machine
02-03-2012, 09:03 AM
Im with you on this one, but im not a coach either so who knows.

Bullaholic
02-03-2012, 11:33 AM
I don't blame 3A coaches in a re-building year for not wanting to play Stephenville. I am as competitive and fierce a fan as you will find, but I just can't see scheduling a former 4A powerhouse that is loaded this season, and subjecting the players to a potential 70-0 blowout. Bravado, pride, and competitive spirit have nothing to with it---common sense does. Who's the winner in that situation?

regaleagle
02-03-2012, 03:26 PM
You're right, Bull. Argyle could have done that this past year when WE were loaded, but not this upcoming year. Maybe the following year we could handle a game with them, when some of our super sophs will be Srs. I think a moved-up 5a would be a nice fit, like Denton Ryan, or even a Denton Guyer that moved back down to 4a. Prosper would be in the same boat as Argyle, as would Lucas Lovejoy. Ya just really need a good fit at this point to make it a playable game for all concerned.

defense51
02-03-2012, 04:36 PM
I can see it both ways, if its a down year then maybe you don't want to schedule a powerhouse team, but if you're a competitive team it helps to play teams as good or better than you. I think Argyle will be competitive regardless of the players they lose, they have a quality program. I'm looking forward to playing the yellowjackets in a district game next season.

Leopard4Life
02-03-2012, 07:21 PM
You're right, Bull. Argyle could have done that this past year when WE were loaded, but not this upcoming year. Maybe the following year we could handle a game with them, when some of our super sophs will be Srs. I think a moved-up 5a would be a nice fit, like Denton Ryan, or even a Denton Guyer that moved back down to 4a. Prosper would be in the same boat as Argyle, as would Lucas Lovejoy. Ya just really need a good fit at this point to make it a playable game for all concerned.

The new 4A schools would get no benefit in playing a 3A school. Plus all the school's listed here are to far from Stephenville. It's great for the varsity's to meet at a neutral site, but what about the JV's and Freshman.

slingshot
02-03-2012, 07:37 PM
...but what about the JV's and Freshman.Simple--they play someone else closer. Maybe even a district foe (our sub-varsity teams usually play BWD for instance more than once when the varity plays someone like LL, Rockdale, LaVernia, Wimberly, LaVega, etc... )

Txbroadcaster
02-03-2012, 07:54 PM
I don't blame 3A coaches in a re-building year for not wanting to play Stephenville. I am as competitive and fierce a fan as you will find, but I just can't see scheduling a former 4A powerhouse that is loaded this season, and subjecting the players to a potential 70-0 blowout. Bravado, pride, and competitive spirit have nothing to with it---common sense does. Who's the winner in that situation?

the ville is going to be good, but we are not talking about best ever or anything, doubt they beat good 3a teams 70-0

Tin Cup
02-03-2012, 08:01 PM
It pains me to say that Stephenville has been quite a bit better than Brownwood the past ten years or so. With that said, when Brownwood has a "better crop" then this isn't the case. As a whole body of work, Stephenville will be a force to wreckon with every year, but if they get a special group it'll be lights out everyone else.

Sweetwater Red
02-03-2012, 08:09 PM
the ville is going to be good, but we are not talking about best ever or anything, doubt they beat good 3a teams 70-0

I watched them last year against a BW team that basically quit by halftime. So, it was hard to gauge how talented they actually were. But, I'm willing to bet they beat Alvarado by 20 and hang 60 plus on everybody else in district play.

Tin Cup
02-03-2012, 08:12 PM
I watched them last year against a BW team that basically quit by halftime. So, it was hard to gauge how talented they actually were. But, I'm willing to bet they beat Alvarado by 20 and hang 60 plus on everybody else in district play.

They would have beat last years Alvarado by 20 probably just my opinion

Smitty
02-03-2012, 08:15 PM
I can see it both ways, if its a down year then maybe you don't want to schedule a powerhouse team, but if you're a competitive team it helps to play teams as good or better than you. I think Argyle will be competitive regardless of the players they lose, they have a quality program. I'm looking forward to playing the yellowjackets in a district game next season.

defense51, sounds like you are an Alvarado supporter.....with that said I have a question......how much has graduation affected the Alvarado team? I'm just curious as a Yellowjacket fan. You guys had a Bull of a running back, is he a Sr. this year? I'm looking forward to the matchup.

SintonFan
02-03-2012, 08:39 PM
:iagree::iagree::iagree:

Also, the disparity is lesser now with so many teams dropping down to 2A. Stephenville will be good, no doubt. Maybe they will dominate 3A and will be crowned Division 1 AND 2 winners in October. Maybe...

slingshot
02-03-2012, 08:44 PM
They would have beat last years Alvarado by 20 probably just my opinionWith A. Edwards healthy... yes. Without him would of been a very good game.

cowboyandchrist
02-04-2012, 07:49 AM
It pains me to say that Stephenville has been quite a bit better than Brownwood the past ten years or so. With that said, when Brownwood has a "better crop" then this isn't the case. As a whole body of work, Stephenville will be a force to wreckon with every year, but if they get a special group it'll be lights out everyone else.
They will be good for sure, but they will have to go through the beast from the East just like everybody else does to be the champ.

hsbtex
02-04-2012, 08:59 AM
You mean like wimberly did? Or did wimberly beat the team that walked right through east tx??

toddg
02-04-2012, 10:24 AM

when did you see Alvarado play? tell me where Stephenville is 20 points superior to Alvarado.

Sville
02-04-2012, 10:40 AM
They will be good for sure, but they will have to go through the beast from the East just like everybody else does to be the champ.

That motto is going to change from the Beast of the East to the Best of the West

Ville-D
02-04-2012, 11:36 AM
District 7 vs District 16 for all the marbles? Sounds good to me, but there is still a LOT of time between now and next December.

I'd like to make a prediction, but I better hold off. We have to get past Venus and Hillsboro first.

slingshot
02-04-2012, 01:12 PM
when did you see Alvarado play? tell me where Stephenville is 20 points superior to Alvarado.I saw them both... Stephenville was better.

hollywood
02-04-2012, 01:13 PM
I watched S'ville last year several times... They hit the season on fire and didn't really improve as much over the season as I thought they would. I say that because once they played the 5A schools (Horn, Hebron) and the larger 4A schools (Killeen, Midway, W Univ, Waco) they had gone through a very physical gauntlet and were set back a bit. Lost Edwards for half of the season and he never was 100% when he returned.

They return most skilled positions which will help keep their core group in sync. The QB is very good and can run and plays smart. Good leader. They should dominate their district and go at least 4 rounds deep in the playoffs. Alvarado will be their best competition in district. I will be surprised if Alvarado can keep it close.... they graduated more key players than S'ville and S'ville was at least a 10 point favorite last season, IMO.

Going to be interesting!

COBRAFOOTBALL
02-04-2012, 01:29 PM
Well HELL... Lets just crown Stephenville now... Heck hand them the trophy! The season is still several months away and everyone on here has made them the king! Poor Alvarado...... Nothing to play for this year.. Poor Glen Rose. No chance for you? Dang why even show up.. Oh but everyone is scared to play S'Ville in the pre season.. Ducking and dodging is what I'm hearing. Good luck to you.. But I'd keep my eye on some of these other teams. Alvarado lost a lot but got a lot back and added some from the district winning JV team. Most on the JV team would start Varsity in a lot of places but had no room on the Alvarado varsity this past year. Glen Rose is bringing a lot back from their season last year. Im an Alvarado fan but will stay humble in this. Im not saying we will beat S'Ville but you wont get a cake walk... Remember we missed being state Champs losing by 1 pt!

toddg
02-04-2012, 02:21 PM
I watched S'ville last year several times... They hit the season on fire and didn't really improve as much over the season as I thought they would. I say that because once they played the 5A schools (Horn, Hebron) and the larger 4A schools (Killeen, Midway, W Univ, Waco) they had gone through a very physical gauntlet and were set back a bit. Lost Edwards for half of the season and he never was 100% when he returned.

They return most skilled positions which will help keep their core group in sync. The QB is very good and can run and plays smart. Good leader. They should dominate their district and go at least 4 rounds deep in the playoffs. Alvarado will be their best competition in district. I will be surprised if Alvarado can keep it close.... they graduated more key players than S'ville and S'ville was at least a 10 point favorite last season, IMO.

Going to be interesting!Offensively.. Alvarado is losing a top rb, 2 wrs and 1 lineman..Stephenville is losing 4 lineman, 1 te, top rb, and 1 wr. Defense...Alvarado losing 7 def. players...Stephenville losing 7 def. players.
your right..will be interesting.

toddg
02-04-2012, 02:31 PM
I saw them both... Stephenville was better.
i saw them both too..not 20 points better.

Sville
02-04-2012, 03:03 PM
Offensively.. Alvarado is losing a top rb, 2 wrs and 1 lineman..Stephenville is losing 4 lineman, 1 te, top rb, and 1 wr. Defense...Alvarado losing 7 def. players...Stephenville losing 7 def. players.
your right..will be interesting.

You are almost right concerning Sville, we have 2 OL returning although one of them will prolly play NG next year. The other is an A-S tackle. Defensively it is a little different. Technically you are right we lost 7 starters from the first few games of the year but when Aiavion Edwards went out for 8 games that got some other underclassmen on the field as starters for those 8 games b/c Westbrook moved from LB to RB. Defensively we'll have 2 DEs returning (we had a 3 man rotation at DE last year with one Sr., Jr, & So.), 1 or 2 LB returning depending on which side of the ball Westbrook plays on, and 2 DBs.

toddg
02-04-2012, 03:20 PM
You are almost right concerning Sville, we have 2 OL returning although one of them will prolly play NG next year. The other is an A-S tackle. Defensively it is a little different. Technically you are right we lost 7 starters from the first few games of the year but when Aiavion Edwards went out for 8 games that got some other underclassmen on the field as starters for those 8 games b/c Westbrook moved from LB to RB. Defensively we'll have 2 DEs returning (we had a 3 man rotation at DE last year with one Sr., Jr, & So.), 1 or 2 LB returning depending on which side of the ball Westbrook plays on, and 2 DBs.

yeah..i knew they made changes throughout the season..i was generalizing as much as i could, its the same with Alvarado..def line rotations with sophs...and we also had players working in and out of lbs and secondary.
i believe it will be a pretty good match-up next year...i dont know how much not having spring football will effect things for the jackets..im sure its just an adjustment to be dealt with..the bright side is starting a week earlier in summer. Hollywood is right..it will be interesting to say the least..

Sville
02-04-2012, 03:28 PM
I don't think the spring football thing will be that big of deal really. We have only elected to do it the last 5 or so years. Coach G was debating about whether to continue it if we stayed 4A anyways. I think he would rather have the extra time in August TBH. With all due respect to Glen Rose and Coach Dunn I do believe the 7-3A championship will be decided the week we play each other.

slingshot
02-04-2012, 04:30 PM
i saw them both too..not 20 points better.Your opinion. My opinion they were at least 20 points better... Just depends on which S'ville team you're talking about. The team we saw in week two was 20+ points better than any team in 3A. Hoping they're not nearly as good next year... :wave:

toddg
02-05-2012, 09:03 AM
Your opinion. My opinion they were at least 20 points better... Just depends on which S'ville team you're talking about. The team we saw in week two was 20+ points better than any team in 3A. Hoping they're not nearly as good next year... :wave:

and which Alvarado team did you see? and being that Stephenville is a program i have great admiration and respect for..your opinion is duly noted and respected.

Emerson1
02-05-2012, 09:16 AM
Your opinion. My opinion they were at least 20 points better... Just depends on which S'ville team you're talking about. The team we saw in week two was 20+ points better than any team in 3A. Hoping they're not nearly as good next year... :wave:

Maybe week 0-3 Stephenville. They were not that great the rest of the season and the beat down they got by Aledo was an accurate showing.

LionFan72
02-05-2012, 12:02 PM

Glad you are still loitering around here c and c, but your day in the sun has set! And the beast with the least will fade from glory too, sure Carthage will be a contender, but not a champ maybe! Things do happen, but the power shift has changed again, get over it!

bobcat1
02-05-2012, 01:27 PM
Glad you are still loitering around here c and c, but your day in the sun has set! And the beast with the least will fade from glory too, sure Carthage will be a contender, but not a champ maybe! Things do happen, but the power shift has changed again, get over it!I suspect Carthage will be pretty dang salty the next 2 years as young as they were last year.

regaleagle
02-05-2012, 03:16 PM
:iagree: With what they may have lost, I still see Carthage as a major contender this upcoming season. They were very good this past season with a very young team. Argyle played some physical games(Prosper, Wimberley, Gilmer, Carthage), and I believe Carthage was the most physical by a long shot with this younger team. With their soph. qb now being a seasoned jr., better look out for this team THIS year.