PDA

View Full Version : District 26-3A next year

hookandladder
02-02-2012, 11:08 AM
La Grange goes back to Region 4, Cuero,Gonzales,Giddings,Smithville and Yoakum. I cannot ever remember being in Cuero's district, should be interesting.

gtownfan
02-02-2012, 12:05 PM
La Grange goes back to Region 4, Cuero,Gonzales,Giddings,Smithville and Yoakum. I cannot ever remember being in Cuero's district, should be interesting.

I'm glad Giddings, La Grange and Smithville stayed together! Rivalries like these are important!!

We haven't played Yoakum since 2005, Cuero since the Semi Finals in 98 and Gonzales since Bi-District in 57 (that surprised me).

Bull's-eye
02-02-2012, 12:44 PM

Which team has the highest enrollment & most likely to go DI?

YTBulldogs
02-02-2012, 12:45 PM
I think it's GZ

Gontex
02-02-2012, 12:53 PM
I'm glad Giddings, La Grange and Smithville stayed together! Rivalries like these are important!!

We haven't played Yoakum since 2005, Cuero since the Semi Finals in 98 and Gonzales since Bi-District in 57 (that surprised me).

Giddings beat Gonzales 7-0 in the coldest game I ever sat through. It was sleeting and a really cold wind was blowing. Needless to say there weren't many of us there.

Gontex
02-02-2012, 12:54 PM
I think it's GZ
Gz turned in 704, so you may be right.

Tejastrue
02-02-2012, 01:03 PM

Hmmm. Wonder if LG will be able to compete. lol...

gtownfan
02-02-2012, 01:22 PM

Gonazales (702.5), Giddings (656), La Grange (609), Cuero (574), Smithville (528), Yoakum (477)

hookandladder
02-02-2012, 01:24 PM

Some numbers I saw had Giddings was higher then LG but just by a few, the number was in 600's so Gonzales would be big school followed by Giddings.

gtownfan
02-02-2012, 01:24 PM
Giddings beat Gonzales 7-0 in the coldest game I ever sat through. It was sleeting and a really cold wind was blowing. Needless to say there weren't many of us there.

That was 57 then!

hookandladder
02-02-2012, 01:25 PM
Hmmm. Wonder if LG will be able to compete. lol...

We compete every year, no matter what District.

Tejastrue
02-02-2012, 01:36 PM
We compete every year, no matter what District.

My reference was the R-4 thing. No doubt you guys will dominate now.

ApachePride
02-02-2012, 05:37 PM
Giddings and Gonzales played in 1992 and again in 1993. In '93, a 0-4 Giddings team beat a 4-0 Gonzales team 23-0 on the Apaches homecoming game that year. Apparently, the Buffaloes got a couple of players back from suspension and ended up making a decent playoff run that year..

1st and goal
02-02-2012, 05:43 PM
Hoping Cuero turns it around this year.

gtownfan
02-02-2012, 06:03 PM
Giddings and Gonzales played in 1992 and again in 1993. In '93, a 0-4 Giddings team beat a 4-0 Gonzales team 23-0 on the Apaches homecoming game that year. Apparently, the Buffaloes got a couple of players back from suspension and ended up making a decent playoff run that year..

Yes, you are correct. Missed those two years (bad eyes/small print). Giddings went undefeated in district in 93 and Columbus beat us in bi-district.

Old Green
02-02-2012, 06:55 PM
La Grange goes back to Region 4, Cuero,Gonzales,Giddings,Smithville and Yoakum. I cannot ever remember being in Cuero's district, should be interesting.We have never been in the same district before. Played and scrimaged a lot though.

Blue42
02-02-2012, 10:35 PM
Hoping Cuero turns it around this year.
Yes me to the attitude of the players and fans is at an all time low .

Gontex
02-04-2012, 07:12 AM
That was 57 then!

Definitely was '57. Weather definitely affected the outcome. Glad someone remembered the '93 and '94 games.

1st and goal
02-06-2012, 11:04 AM
So, looking ahead, who you got? How do you think your team will stack up and why? I really think this district has a bunch of talented teams that will give each other tough games that could go either way. I don't see any 1 team dominating this year. I may be wrong.

In no particular order, I can only speak for the teams we played last year. We need local knowledge of the teams.

Giddings - We are losing a bunch of talented seniors. But we have a good class of juniors (some of which were starters) moving up and our JV team had a great year. I'm not sure how many juniors were starters or had a bunch of playing time. I do like the direction the coach has the team going. So we will be young and I'm looking forward to see our new talent grow.

Lagrange - I'm expecting them to have a good year in 2012. I know they graduated some good talent too.

Smithville - As everybody knows, they have turned their program around. Does anyone know how many are returning?

Gonzales - Had a great year last year. Losing against eventual state champ Wimberley.

Cuero - Perennial favorite. Hope their team (and town) can turn it around after last year's tough season. (My family comes from there, I have numerous "42nd" cousins there I don't even know.)

Yoakum - The smallest school in the bunch, but the Bulldogs can bring a good fight.

Let the smack begin!:1popcorn:

Old Green
02-06-2012, 11:35 AM
I think iDistrict 26 will end up like this, but anything is possible.

Gonzales - They have to be favorite. They return a lot of starters on offense and defense with two rb's that had a good year the Qb that started the season but did not play much.

Yoakum - Returns the most starters in the district. They find a Qb, they will be a dangerous team.

Giddings - Don't know much about Giddings this year, but they have the talent, speed and tradition to overcome any shortcomings they may have.

LaGrange - Always talented and plays hard. They can sneek up and dominate anyone at anytime.

Cuero - Had a bad year last. Low numbers and vanilla play calling had them figured out last year before the play even started. The Birds will have a new OC. If the kids buy into Coach Owens and whoever is the new OC, then Gobblers can be competitive.

Smithville - They are going to lose a lot of talent this year. They will find the people to be competitve as always.

hookandladder
02-06-2012, 12:06 PM
I think iDistrict 26 will end up like this, but anything is possible.

Gonzales - They have to be favorite. They return a lot of starters on offense and defense with two rb's that had a good year the Qb that started the season but did not play much.

Yoakum - Returns the most starters in the district. They find a Qb, they will be a dangerous team.

Giddings - Don't know much about Giddings this year, but they have the talent, speed and tradition to overcome any shortcomings they may have.

LaGrange - Always talented and plays hard. They can sneek up and dominate anyone at anytime.

Cuero - Had a bad year last. Low numbers and vanilla play calling had them figured out last year before the play even started. The Birds will have a new OC. If the kids buy into Coach Owens and whoever is the new OC, then Gobblers can be competitive.

Smithville - They are going to lose a lot of talent this year. They will find the people to be competitve as always.

I will have to go with Giddings, La Grange and Gonzales, in no certain order. Giddings returns Glenn at RB and a JV team that was talented, La Grange returns most all key starters on both sides of the ball and a stong JV team coming up. Gonzales is well coached and kids will play hard , do not know what they return however feel they will be in the hunt. Most teams in this District will be tough to beat on any given night, so it will be a dog fight for the 3 playoff spots.

buff4ever
02-06-2012, 12:20 PM
It will be interesting for sure.

I am tentative to start guessing at this, b/c you have 2 different groups here that don't cross paths enough in the past to really compare.

My guess would be (no shots at anyone, I think going in it will be competive in every game of district for everybody)

1. Gonzales, untill somthing proves they aren't as good as last year
2. Giddings, I think the talent at skilled positions with an improved line will surprise many this year (who cares if we don't know who the qb is)
3. Cuero, La Grange, Yoakum, Smithville - I truly think that any of these guys could make the 3rd spot. (this is really going to be interesting)

Yoakum always has potential to be tough
LG has been streeky lately, if they can get hot and stay hot, they can be tough
Smithville still has a lot coming back, and will try and keep their momentum going and make it back to the playoffs again
Cuero will not be expected to come back strong quite yet, and that scares me the most about them, cause now they will prolly surprise us all

Bull's-eye
02-06-2012, 01:57 PM
From top to bottom, this has to be one of the most competitive districts in 3A. Giddings will return a very good runner in Glenn & appear to have great size coming up through the ranks. During our playoff game, I noticed some huge lineman that were call ups. The rivalry between Giddings, Smithville & LG will automatically turn this district into a dogfight. Then you add Gonzales, Cuero & Yoakum to the mix, there won't be an "easy" game in district play.

My prediction, the playoff teams won't be determined until the final week & there will be a tie-breaker or two to determine which 3 teams advance. Not knowing much about what is coming back for Gonzales, Cuero & Yoakum, I like Giddings as my favorite to be one of the 3 playoff teams. I love Cuero's rich tradition & they will be difficult to keep out of the playoffs.

1st and goal
02-06-2012, 02:53 PM
Not too many Smithville fans on here, so it will hard to get information about them. I should've bought a game program last year.....

hookandladder
02-06-2012, 03:41 PM
Smithville's Junior class which will be seniors next year is their best class, had some key senior players this year that will be hard to replace. I do not think their JV and freshmen teams were anything special, so it will be up to their seniors to keep the playoff hopes alive. Just do not see that happening next year if they have to travel to Giddings and at our place next year, just a whole different animal when you have to play at Smithville. Then you add in Gonzales and Cuero and it just gets tougher.

duckhunter
02-06-2012, 09:30 PM
Not too many Smithville fans on here, so it will hard to get information about them. I should've bought a game program last year.....

looking at a program from a game this year I noticed Smithville has basically all their skill position players back. I had some names marked by some players that stood out when they played Giddings and all are juniors or soph's.....My guess is they wont be dropping off much, if any....2013 will be a different story though prolly. They will be tough this coming year

1st and goal
02-06-2012, 10:48 PM
Heard some possible (tentative) pre-season games for Giddings. NOTHING IS WRITTEN IN STONE, but if so,,,,HOLD ON TO YOUR FREAKING HATS!!!

Scrimmages= Lampassas, Bryan Rudder 4A

Preseason= (in no order) Liberty Hill, Wimberley, Bellville, Caldwell

Before I heard this, I was just thinking today if I were coach, would I schedule the best I could get within reasonable distance, or take on some easier teams to give the boys a taste of victory and pad the stats and standings like some college teams do. :) The Buffs have a history of scheduling the best possible talent in preseason. We've taken on many a state champ. LH, Wimberley, to name a few. Other tough opponents were WOS, Hutto (beat Kerley), and we beat a tough 4A team from Waco that turned around and beat 5A Round Rock dragons the next weekend.

Anyway, heard a bunch of stories about our JV sophomores that will be juniors next year. They really had a great season. I watched 'em scrimmage Wimberley's JV and we faired quite well. Then Wim's varsity taught ours some lessons in the varsity scrimmage (we were really green with our new offense and defensive schemes). We will have plenty of speed and some bruisers as usual. Enough rambling. I gotta go stand in line to get my season tickets...:1popcorn:

Manso/V8
02-06-2012, 10:48 PM
The junior class this year is what made a difference in Smithville's program.

1st and goal
02-06-2012, 10:57 PM
Is that speedster from Smithville gonna be back? The one that got knocked out of the game against Giddings and I think had a concussion and his parents kept him off the field. He was fast and a gamer. Wow, I can still hear that hit echoing in my head. I'm telling you, it was exactly like 2 rams on a mountain hitting each other head on. I pray he's got no long term issues.

Oh, and Columbus is another preseason possibility.

duckhunter
02-07-2012, 08:33 AM
Is that speedster from Smithville gonna be back? .

he's back, will be a senior...

gtownfan
02-07-2012, 11:52 AM
Heard some possible (tentative) pre-season games for Giddings. NOTHING IS WRITTEN IN STONE, but if so,,,,HOLD ON TO YOUR FREAKING HATS!!!

Before I heard this, I was just thinking today if I were coach, would I schedule the best I could get within reasonable distance, or take on some easier teams to give the boys a taste of victory and pad the stats and standings like some college teams do. :) The Buffs have a history of scheduling the best possible talent in preseason. We've taken on many a state champ. LH, Wimberley, to name a few. Other tough opponents were WOS, Hutto (beat Kerley), and we beat a tough 4A team from Waco that turned around and beat 5A Round Rock dragons the next weekend.

Anyway, heard a bunch of stories about our JV sophomores that will be juniors next year. They really had a great season. I watched 'em scrimmage Wimberley's JV and we faired quite well. Then Wim's varsity taught ours some lessons in the varsity scrimmage (we were really green with our new offense and defensive schemes). We will have plenty of speed and some bruisers as usual. Enough rambling. I gotta go stand in line to get my season tickets...:1popcorn:

I think the schedule is in stone now. It's posted at LC Live - http://www.leecountylive.com/News%207Q.htm

hookandladder
02-07-2012, 12:21 PM

Liberty hill was an average team last year, Wimberley and Bellville lost many starters from last year and Caldwell was very weak team last year. So, yes playing some traditionally solid schools however you cannot base next years team on what they had last year, I see Giddings winning most all pre season games. Nowhere near what we played last year in preseason, Lockhart,West Columbia,Sealy and Bellville.

1st and goal
02-07-2012, 01:28 PM
Liberty hill was an average team last year, Wimberley and Bellville lost many starters from last year and Caldwell was very weak team last year. So, yes playing some traditionally solid schools however you cannot base next years team on what they had last year, I see Giddings winning most all pre season games. Nowhere near what we played last year in preseason, Lockhart,West Columbia,Sealy and Bellville.
Yah Hook....nowhere near...roll eyes. There you go....you done gone and stirred up the LH, Bellville and Wim fans....oh well....need some off season banter anyway... :)

hookandladder
02-07-2012, 01:38 PM
Yah Hook....nowhere near...roll eyes. There you go....you done gone and stirred up the LH, Bellville and Wim fans....oh well....need some off season banter anyway... :)

Not saying Bellville and Wimberley were not good last year, saying they will not be as good as next year as last. So your preseason is not as strong as you might want to think.

Tejastrue
02-07-2012, 02:05 PM

Yeah, he tends to take shots at Wimberley more than the average. Still stinging from all those close losses last year I guess. ;)

1st and goal
02-07-2012, 02:31 PM
Yeah, he tends to take shots at Wimberley more than the average. Still stinging from all those close losses last year I guess. ;)

Last year? you mean like the last 10 years? :stirpot:

YTBulldogs
02-07-2012, 02:51 PM

We'll have a solid 6'2"ish junior (Chase Hermes) at the helm. A sophomore (Trivonte Heights) will be pushing him. Height's a playmaker can run it/create better while Hermes a better pure passer, who read's coverage very well. Last year's youth on the team learned a lot and are very excited for the 2012 season. Working hard in the weight room and very eager to get it going in 26-3A. Bulldogs will be in the playoff hunt. And, I agree, there will not be a easy week in this district.

Yoakum's QB situation in good hands next several years.

hookandladder
02-07-2012, 03:21 PM

Not taking shots at anyone, just do not beleive in sugar coating anything. Teams change from year to year, you guys will not be as strong as last year but you will definitely compete well again. Nothing personal, just giving ones opinion.

hookandladder
02-07-2012, 03:22 PM

The last 10 years with you guys mean nothing to me, its about State Championships. How many did you say your school has won.

Pudlugger
02-07-2012, 03:43 PM

Actually we beat Giddings 10 years ago. The next 9 games not so much...:crying::eek:

This will be a tough district and I honestly can't make a prediction now. Maybe by week 9 though LOL.

underthetepee
02-07-2012, 03:45 PM
I think the Apaches will be good in 2012--2 All-staters back on defense(Lopez-FS/Miller-DE)5 starters back... On Offense 7 starters (4 OL) back with All-state RB (Johnson). QB is 6'1" and can throw (he started 5 games until he was injured).. Will pick up some good players off an 8-1 JV and 6-3 freshman Team... I think the Apaches will compete well in the new district!!

YTBulldogs
02-07-2012, 04:19 PM
I think the Apaches will be good in 2012--2 All-staters back on defense(Lopez-FS/Miller-DE)5 starters back... On Offense 7 starters (4 OL) back with All-state RB (Johnson). QB is 6'1" and can throw (he started 5 games until he was injured).. Will pick up some good players off an 8-1 JV and 6-3 freshman Team... I think the Apaches will compete well in the new district!!

:iagree:

Blue42
02-07-2012, 04:59 PM
Looks like a great District it will be good to see some new places. I think we will compete with some changes on the offence .

Bull's-eye
02-07-2012, 06:38 PM
Not saying Bellville and Wimberley were not good last year, saying they will not be as good as next year as last. So your preseason is not as strong as you might want to think.

I can't speak for Wimberley, but Bellville could possibly be better. Bellville's current sophomore class has been one of their better classes in years. Three of those sophs played varsity as freshman & another soph lead the 2011 team in rushing. Bellville also returns their previous starting QB (injured in their 2nd scrimmage). An undefeated freshman class & a good JV team should help fill the holes. Another year running the slot-t should come a little easier for the Brahmas.

Manso/V8
02-07-2012, 08:56 PM
Oh, and Columbus is another preseason possibility.

Bring your riot gear.

Manso/V8
02-07-2012, 08:59 PM

Most of the starters that Bellville lost were average as juniors at best or didn't see the field as juniors. Bellville will be better and faster this season.

buff4ever
02-08-2012, 09:39 AM
I wasn't in the mood to deal with hook, but I agree that bellville will be very solid again this year. As good as last year I would expect. Wimberley may be down from last year, but still a very solid opponent. Liberty Hill I don't know as much about, but haven't heard that they will be any less competitive than last year either. Caldwell and Columbus should definetely by predistrict easy wins. Still atleast we aren't driving to other side of houston to play WOS or LaVernia or Brookshire Royal. Even though we picked up Cuero and Gonzales, our travel miles is probably decreased a little.

1st and goal
02-09-2012, 01:35 PM
Is Coach Vance still at LH? Still running split T?